Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Mozi posted:

I really hope that 'pulling her espresso' isn't a euphemism.

Keep that attitude to yourself or else I'm cutting your hours!

You're on the clock, so you'd better service that customer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Kelp Me! posted:

Man, it sounds like you work for a company that specializes in doing all the really boring stuff that the other airport employees don't want to do. That blows. You work at an airport in Alaska? I guess that explains why you don't have the golf cart things, but I've seen them at most major airports.

Just take the TSA training course you get government bennies and AFAIK you barely even need a GED

I'm from Ireland, and my three Irish friends worked as TSA airport luggage checkers in Logan Airport in Boston in 2002.
No work visas, they got it because they just finished university in Ireland.
They only worked the summer, and were outright told to only check the brown skinned people and let all the whites pass.

They left back for Ireland, and two weeks later their flat mates from Czech were busted with a fuckton of cocaine. If they were there they would be doing jail time as well.

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib

mozi posted:

I really hope that 'pulling her espresso' isn't a euphemism.

Maybe she would have tipped better if it was.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

This comic strip was posted in the politoons forum and I thought it might fit in here

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Screw retail.

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

This title text is surprisingly sturdy.
about two days after following the passed out wino (by the way, it turned out that a separate customer, probably upon hearing the man snoring in the stall, was the one who took a poo poo in the urinal and then promptly left without a word) an incontinent old man came in during yet another of my coworkers closing shifts and promptly poo poo all over the floor. I was told it was as though he just poo poo himself (which I think he did, he "didn't make it") and swung the underwear around. the underwear and pants supposedly had to be abandoned.

aside from that we were scammed by a sampler so that was entertaining

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

When I was still working at a store we had a kid yelling in a long line for a candy bar. It's the day before a holiday 20 minute long lines kid is screaming parent has 2 carts of food. You get the picture. They get to the front and the kid wants a few now and the mom is arguing finally says no candy.

Kid threatens to poo poo their pants, this kid is 8 or 9. The mom holds her ground, and the kid shits the self. Mom caves in as the kid starts making a scene saying how their mom forces them to poo poo themselves and won't take them to the bathroom. Kid ends up for more candy than before the threat to shut them up and we end up having to close the register because the kid got poo poo all over the floor and the mom was appalled that we even asked her to clean it up. She didn't poo poo the floor it was the kid, and the kid is going to come back and clean it up as punishment, but you know after the calm down in an hour. So of course we cleaned it, and I don't think she came back to give out the lovely punishment.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

pixaal posted:

When I was still working at a store we had a kid yelling in a long line for a candy bar. It's the day before a holiday 20 minute long lines kid is screaming parent has 2 carts of food. You get the picture. They get to the front and the kid wants a few now and the mom is arguing finally says no candy.

Kid threatens to poo poo their pants, this kid is 8 or 9. The mom holds her ground, and the kid shits the self. Mom caves in as the kid starts making a scene saying how their mom forces them to poo poo themselves and won't take them to the bathroom. Kid ends up for more candy than before the threat to shut them up and we end up having to close the register because the kid got poo poo all over the floor and the mom was appalled that we even asked her to clean it up. She didn't poo poo the floor it was the kid, and the kid is going to come back and clean it up as punishment, but you know after the calm down in an hour. So of course we cleaned it, and I don't think she came back to give out the lovely punishment.

What makes this worse is that that kid has learned that making GBS threads themselves gets them what they want. Like, you KNOW this isn't the only time they've poo poo themselves for a Mars bar.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Fil5000 posted:

What makes this worse is that that kid has learned that making GBS threads themselves gets them what they want. Like, you KNOW this isn't the only time they've poo poo themselves for a Mars bar.

you'd be surprised just how often making GBS threads yourself gets you what you want

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

ladron posted:

you'd be surprised just how often making GBS threads yourself gets you what you want

Not a second date.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

spog posted:

Not a second date.

I guess it depends which dating service you used.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Fil5000 posted:

I guess it depends which dating service you used.

:golfclap:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I didn't even intend that but yeah, that's actually pretty good.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

pixaal posted:

As someone who spends summers as a councilor at kids camps these kids are the best.

They are so used to the screaming/crying/etc getting them exactly what they want right that moment that it breaks their brains when a person's response is not to immediately cave.

I don't know what it is in boys, but any hint of public ridicule works disciplinary wonders (in my experience). There was one boy, who was 9, and would just scream his head off, with tears pouring down his face, whenever anything didn't go exactly his way. He wasn't in my group, but I was usually near by and just started smirking at him when he would pitch a fit. Like, a real arrogant "I'm smirking at you because what you're doing is funny to me" face. He couldn't deal with that and quit pitching a fit whenever I was in the area.

I imagine he's a real piece of poo poo person if nobody intervened in his life.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

spacetoaster posted:

As someone who spends summers as a councilor at kids camps these kids are the best.

They are so used to the screaming/crying/etc getting them exactly what they want right that moment that it breaks their brains when a person's response is not to immediately cave.

I don't know what it is in boys, but any hint of public ridicule works disciplinary wonders (in my experience). There was one boy, who was 9, and would just scream his head off, with tears pouring down his face, whenever anything didn't go exactly his way. He wasn't in my group, but I was usually near by and just started smirking at him when he would pitch a fit. Like, a real arrogant "I'm smirking at you because what you're doing is funny to me" face. He couldn't deal with that and quit pitching a fit whenever I was in the area.

I imagine he's a real piece of poo poo person if nobody intervened in his life.

I don't know how much public ridicule is going to affect a child who shits himself in the checkout line in order to get chocolate.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Fil5000 posted:

I don't know how much public ridicule is going to affect a child who shits himself in the checkout line in order to get chocolate.

I bet if the cashier and a few strangers started pointing and laughing the story would be different, but as it is most of the ridicule was probably aimed at the mom for not being able to control her kid.

Sometimes a child just needs a smack, and it's kind of silly that you have to worry about a stranger calling CPS or something over it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Fil5000 posted:

Seems like a great opportunity for a public hosing down.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Kelp Me! posted:

I bet if the cashier and a few strangers started pointing and laughing the story would be different, but as it is most of the ridicule was probably aimed at the mom for not being able to control her kid.

Sometimes a child just needs a smack, and it's kind of silly that you have to worry about a stranger calling CPS or something over it.

Or maybe just not giving him the loving candy would help. I mean for gently caress's sake.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Fil5000 posted:

Probably not, it's an entirely different situation from a summer camp.

That's a one time thing for the person working there, where at camp you've got a couple of weeks to actually try and accomplish some improvement.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Fil5000 posted:

Or maybe just not giving him the loving candy would help. I mean for gently caress's sake.

If you're at a point where your non-retarded child is intentionally making GBS threads his pants in a public setting to get what he wants, I think there's way deeper behavioral concerns to be addressed than "did he get the candy in the end"

Like, even regular old screaming/crying tantrums are something that should be mostly weeded out by the time they're like 5-6 tops, but even more hosed up is that a kid that age doesn't understand how horrifyingly embarrassing the action he took was. That kid's going to have some serious boundary issues even if he does learn to stop being a spoiled brat. I'm talking the kind of person that hits high school and genuinely thinks farting out loud in a classroom or picking his nose during a conversation is ok.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Kelp Me! posted:

Hitting children is bad.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Detective No. 27 posted:

Hitting children is bad.

Hitting and spanking are different things entirely, but the end result of a blanket "physically touching your child is bad" mentality is those parents you see who are clearly on the verge of a mental breakdown as they try to calmly rationalize with a 4-year-old as to why they can't have any candy

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Kelp Me! posted:

If you're at a point where your non-retarded child is intentionally making GBS threads his pants in a public setting to get what he wants, I think there's way deeper behavioral concerns to be addressed than "did he get the candy in the end"

Like, even regular old screaming/crying tantrums are something that should be mostly weeded out by the time they're like 5-6 tops, but even more hosed up is that a kid that age doesn't understand how horrifyingly embarrassing the action he took was. That kid's going to have some serious boundary issues even if he does learn to stop being a spoiled brat. I'm talking the kind of person that hits high school and genuinely thinks farting out loud in a classroom or picking his nose during a conversation is ok.

Oh yeah, I was mostly just meaning that as shorthand for actual parenting. I mean it's pretty basic - you don't reward the bad behaviour. Even if you want to avoid negative reinforcement by not punishing the bad behaviour, you don't give them candy to stop the screaming shitfit.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Say Nothing posted:

Screw retail.

:stare:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Kelp Me! posted:

Hitting and spanking are different things entirely,

No.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Counterpoint: yes.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Fifty years of research disagrees.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

This is going to be great.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

if a cashier is rude to me, I hit them to improve their behavior

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

This title text is surprisingly sturdy.
at the very least I obviously hated it as a kid but now that I'm older I'm glad that when I was was about to make an rear end of myself in a public place my parents would pull me aside and furiously whisper to knock it off and threaten to beat the crap out of me. Now I'm the kind of person who does their best to not be in the way or waste as little of people's time as possible when out in public. I don't get why people stand directly in the paths of others, slowly put their poo poo away in their wallets/purses while a line forms behind them, stand and chat with other people in a doorway, etc. Idk what it took for that to be instilled in me but it would be nice if other people had that sense.

I mean, I'd rather not see a kid get whacked, but I'd appreciate if the parent can do something to get their rear end in a top hat kid under control.

to that end, I don't think I told this one- four loko lady seems to have grand children. She would bring them in pretty frequently, and one day one makes the other one cry by poking them in the eye. So the woman, with her long gross nails, pokes the eye of the offender and says:
"How does that feel??"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Problem with condoning parents hitting their kids for good reasons is that they'll see it as equally appropriate to hit their kids for bad reasons.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Inescapable Duck posted:

Problem with condoning parents hitting their kids for good reasons is that they'll see it as equally appropriate to hit their kids for bad reasons.

It's also confusing - when you hit a kid for hitting his sister, the lesson he'll probably take from it is "It's okay to hit someone as long as you don't get caught."

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Elizabeth Gershoff is an idiot and her study is bad.

Pththya-lyi posted:

It's also confusing - when you hit a kid for hitting his sister, the lesson he'll probably take from it is "It's okay to hit someone as long as you don't get caught."

That's a pretty good lesson for life though. :colbert:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

That study is flawed in multiple ways:

https://www.cardus.ca/organization/news/303/banning-spanking-does-more-harm-than-good/ posted:

Proponents of spanking bans often cite a 2016 University of Texas at Austin review that found the appropriate use of reasonable force caused children to have aggressive or other negative tendencies. However, Dr. Robert Larzelere, Endowed Professor of Parenting at Oklahoma State University, notes that almost all the studies examined in that review failed to distinguish between spanking and abuse. He also notes the review failed to determine whether aggressive behaviour observed in children came before or after the use of reasonable force.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/what-science-says-and-doesn-t-about-spanking/ posted:

Yet some researchers remain skeptical. First, although the new analysis did attempt to separate the effects of spanking from those of physical tactics that are considered harsher, research has shown that many parents who spank also use other forms of punishment—so “you’re still not really isolating spanking from overall abusiveness,” explains Christopher Ferguson, a psychologist at Stetson University in Florida. In other words, the negative effects associated with spanking could still be driven in part by parents’ use of other tactics.
The new analysis also did not completely overcome the lumping problem: It considered slapping and hitting children anywhere on the body as synonymous with spanking but these actions might have distinct effects. Some research also suggests that the effects of spanking differ depending on the reasons parents spank, how frequently they do so and how old children are at the time—so the conclusion from the meta-analysis that spanking itself is dangerous may be overly simplistic. “I think it’s irresponsible to make exclusive statements one way or another,” Ferguson says.
Finally, the associations reported in the meta-analysis between spanking and negative outcomes did not control for the potential mediating effects of other variables, which raises the chicken-or-egg question: Are kids spanked because they act out or do they act out because they are spanked—or both? (Even longitudinal studies don’t completely resolve this problem, because behavioral problems may worsen over time regardless of spanking’s effects.) To rule out the possibility that spanking is only associated with bad outcomes because poorly behaved kids are the ones getting spanked, researchers can use statistical methods to control for the influence of temperament and preexisting behavioral characteristics—but these methods are difficult to employ in meta-analyses, and the new analysis did not attempt such a feat. Ferguson did try to control for the effects of preexisting child behavior in a 2013 meta-analysis he published of the longitudinal studies on this issue; when he did, “spanking’s effects became trivial,” he says. As a further demonstration of the importance of careful statistical controls, Robert Larzelere, a psychologist at Oklahoma State University, and his colleagues reported in a 2010 study that grounding and psychotherapy are linked just as strongly to bad behavior as spanking is but that all the associations disappear with the use of careful statistical controls. It makes sense that disciplinary tactics used as responses to bad behavior will be associated with such behavior, Larzelere says, unless care is taken to control for children’s preexisting characteristics and temperaments.

Inescapable Duck posted:

I agree with this to an extent but I'd say that's more a problem with the parents' behavior than the kids.

Pththya-lyi posted:

Agree with this too. It's situational. What you said is true, but if you smack a kid in the butt because he's literally weeping and shrieking over a candy bar, that's a bit of a different story I think.

It's also IMO important to follow that up with an explanation. You can't just spank a kid and be done - they need to understand that the reason for the action, so they understand that public tantrums, and not candy, is the reason.

But anyway I'm not a child psychologist and this derail's getting a bit long in the tooth. I've just seen too many verge-of-tears-themselves parents trying to explain the concept of delayed gratification to little Brayden as he shrieks and tears products off the shelves.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

This article has the perfect example of a terrible customer.

Man buys squash thought it was cheese.

I hate how people think they deserve free stuff over what is usually a simple mistake.

On my lunch break a while back, I went over to a nearby mall for food. I had agreed to grab something for my coworker. While I was waiting for his food, the woman came up to the counter and started screaming at the employee.

It seems she asked for no banana peppers on her sandwich, and there was a sliver of one in her sandwich. The manager was right there, and she said she would remake the sandwich for her. While she was waiting, she yelled out, "I need to get a drink for free too because I drove all the way over to this particular road and had to turn around and come back!" (Said road was literally less than 2 minutes away)
The manager agreed(because the markup om fountain drinks is ridiculous), and then this lady got EVEN greedier. She ordered one of the most expensive specialty drink they have on the menu($6) with a bunch of extras thrown in. I could see the manager from the angle I was at, and holy poo poo she was trying so hard to not go off on this woman. She did an excellent job.

The woman snatched the bag and drink from her, turned away, and stomped away, taking her cloud of entitlement with her.

Canned Panda fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jul 26, 2017

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

My favorite thing working in a grocery store was finding meat from the cold isle stuffed into the back of a shelf to rot.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
It still bugs the hell out of me to go into a store and find stuff in the wrong place.

Worst is the sheer loving laziness of some people. Like they've grabbed a bag of chips, decided they don't want it and just toss it in another slot. It wouldn't even have taken a single step to put it back properly :argh:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Kelp Me! posted:

Hitting and spanking are different things entirely,
No, they aren't. There is literally zero difference and if you really think that striking a child with any amount of force for any reason is acceptable ever, I hope your balls get microwaved while still attached.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

Get the gently caress out of this thread with that parenting debate bullshit please and thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Yawgmoth posted:

No, they aren't. There is literally zero difference and if you really think that striking a child with any amount of force for any reason is acceptable ever, I hope your balls get microwaved while still attached.

lol

• Locked thread