Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Onmi posted:

I tried SFO and just didn't like it. I got more fun using individual mods that happened to share points that SFO had, than the whole SFO experience. That's not to say it's bad, just that I didn't enjoy it at all.

Mods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Is there a list of what unit changes SFO makes? I wasn't aware that they buffed pistolers until someone pointed it out here, for example

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
radious cucked me

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
SFO makes every unit live up to the hype in its flavor text. It adds a couple of extra units because it overspecializes some existing units--handgunners and crossbowmen feel dramatically different from one another in SFO so the longbows were added to fill the niche that had been taken away. Sometimes they add cool units that you need t try really hard to get, like dismounted blood knights.

That's just on the battlefield. On the campaign map diplomacy makes more sense, enemy armies are much better to fight and there is usually a strong consistent challenge through the end of the game.
SFO breathed new life into the series for me even though I I initially poo poo on it in here. But only get if if you feel like TWW could use a new coat of paint imo

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
it also pays off your student loans and sends you affirmative messages when youre feelin blue

e: steel*faith is also apparently something of a character

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jul 26, 2017

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Fay Enchantress is just ruining multiplayer right now.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Tiler Kiwi posted:

lol

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Oh jeez I was assuming it's something in the lore. Of course Steel Faith is a Nazi thing?

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
The most positive things that SFO does is mainly two things in my opinion.

The first thing is that it rebalances/expands the settlements and building utility. This make the AI better at producing and maintaining good armies and which gives even non garrisoned towns more units to defend with, in aggregate this make the AI present a better challenge.

The second really positive thing it does is to put a more significant element of uncertainty for the auto resolve calculation and weighs the general level much lower. This applies for both the player and the AI which make you unable to cheese close fights, while the AI become more offensive and will take more risky battles, in turn this leads to you getting to fight defensive battles/sieges more often as the AI won't only attack your stacks/settlements when it heavily outnumber you.

Other changes I'm personally more ambivalent towards:

While I would say the units added by SFO is actually balanced due to associated cost, stats and high requirements for recruiting, they also add little to the game and are really not needed (though they do fit fluff wise).

The units are also rebalanced, making elite units really elite but with significantly lower model count and chaff units bigger with more models. While this make sense some chaff units become a bit too powerful in my opinion while some elite units become unkillable shits with superb unit agility and killing power due to the hitpoints and killingpower of 20 models being concentrated down to 5 models, which can all easily hit the same target, engage though tiny gaps in the line and disengage at will.

Magic is also a lot more powerful and wizards and wizard lords of all types are really dangerous. Sadly due to lack of long term planning from the AI's side it rarely have wizards or lords of high enough level to cast the really dangerous spells, which make magic mechanics heavily favor the player.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Fangz posted:

Oh jeez I was assuming it's something in the lore. Of course Steel Faith is a Nazi thing?

there's "steel, faith, and gunpowder", in-universe quote about how the empire manages in the face of all the bullshit

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

toasterwarrior posted:

there's "steel, faith, and gunpowder", in-universe quote about how the empire manages in the face of all the bullshit

Shocking absolutely no one, though, various nazis and nazi-lites love warhammer lore in both sci fi and fantasy variants. The Imperium is more overtly fascist but the Empire features loads of dudes named Ludwig bedecked in skulls and crosses gunning down barbarians. Luckily for us they tend to be the impotent nerd shutin kind of nazi and not the kind that gets in fistfights or does hate crimes.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Shocking absolutely no one, though, various nazis and nazi-lites love warhammer lore in both sci fi and fantasy variants. The Imperium is more overtly fascist but the Empire features loads of dudes named Ludwig bedecked in skulls and crosses gunning down barbarians. Luckily for us they tend to be the impotent nerd shutin kind of nazi and not the kind that gets in fistfights or does hate crimes.

Yeah, I've been a fan of 40k since high school but I probably ought to reflect on when the fanbase started unironically being fascist instead of just reveling in the ludicrous violence of it all.

Can someone place 40k Orkz on the political axis chart, they're my favorite race, I'm not a fascist I swear :ohdear:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

GW had to actually tell Fantasy players that armies with swastika regalia wouldn't be allowed in official tournaments back in the day.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

toasterwarrior posted:

Yeah, I've been a fan of 40k since high school but I probably ought to reflect on when the fanbase started unironically being fascist instead of just reveling in the ludicrous violence of it all.

Can someone place 40k Orkz on the political axis chart, they're my favorite race, I'm not a fascist I swear :ohdear:

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Apparently the way to play Welves (well at least in SFO) is to just raid your own province and farm the rebel stacks for cash.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

I enjoy playing unmodded get at me :clint:

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tiler Kiwi posted:

it also pays off your student loans and sends you affirmative messages when youre feelin blue

That youtube playlist:

Gwen Stefani - Cool
de GwenStefaniVEVO
4:08

Warhammer: Mark of Chaos - Battle March Intro
de ITherealMarcomanI
2:25

Oswald Mosley: Europeans (Documentary)
de The Vindex
1:20:56

:thunk:

Kanos posted:

Khazrak is the basic fighty man one - basically Beastmen Karl Franz - with probably the best starting army who starts in Estalia. Malagor is a decent spellcaster lord with bonuses to bray shamans who unfortunately starts dead smack in the middle of the badlands, which is a terrible place to be because low tier beastmen troops get loving mulched by both greenskins and dwarfs, so his early game generally involves a reenactment of The Ten Commandments as you lead your beleaguered people out of the desert and to salvation(the border princes and beyond). Morghur is another fighty man one, but his gimmicks are being ridiculously tough and having access to a powerful ability that kills weak enemy units and turns them into temporary Chaos Spawn for you as well as having gigantic bonuses to Chaos Spawn in general, making them insanely powerful for him; the unfortunate tradeoff he makes is that his minotaurs are so expensive as to be unsustainable, meaning that he trades the super line breaking and siege power of minotaurs for super powerful/cheap chaos spawn which are not nearly as versatile. As an individual unit he's easily the strongest of the three beastmen lords, though.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Khazrak doesn't look too interesting to me, Morghur is interesting in being fairly unique with his weird shield aura and access to 0 upkeep chaos spawn, Malagor starts you right off with lore of the wilds which at least in SFO is very strong spamming vile explosions on soldier clumps and I don't know if the the lore does this in vanilla, but the passive ability restores vigour to everyone on spellcasts and it's a very spammy spellschool so you can keep your army fresh for ages.
Ahhh thanks, so goat man Kahzrak is fighting mans, Malagor is wingy spelly dude in the middle of Savage orc land and Morghur needs to see a vet.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Malagor is pretty fun, he gets something like +75 winds just putting points in all his magic skills, and you can throw in a Lore of Beasts or Death Shaman for another +15-25 winds and a support skill that gives 30% cooldown reduction for all spellcasters and go go hogwild with spells, while supporting your army with his unique -enemy morale and +damage buffs.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Bad Skaven placement imo.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Ragingsheep posted:

Apparently the way to play Welves (well at least in SFO) is to just raid your own province and farm the rebel stacks for cash.

Its the right way to play every faction except (maybe) the bretonnian factions, especially when the alternative is to build a couple buildings and then sit on your hands for 20 turns trying to save up for the next settlement tier while all your poo poo gets raided and razed because your single half stack army is in the wrong place trying to bait out a 20 stack garrison army so you can maybe hopefully take another town.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

Zog me, it's bootiful

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

SickZip posted:

Bad Skaven placement imo.

Yeah the Skaven are clearly right authoritarians being nazis and all but you gotta shoehorn it in somehow

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

StashAugustine posted:

Yeah the Skaven are clearly right authoritarians being nazis and all but you gotta shoehorn it in somehow

Greenskins are libertarian left.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
If Steel Faith being a nazi is a strong reason to not use SFO you will probably find you can't use like 75% of all game mods. And if just going on horrible personal opinions probably like a 25% of all consumer products.

I'm not sure that's a great reason to stop using the mod if you like it. Look at Arthmoor in Skyrim, dude clearly sucks but some of his mods are hard to skip.

Just don't support them on Patreon if you don't like them (why would you do this anyway)

Mazz fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jul 26, 2017

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Are you trying to hold up the Gategate guy as someone who makes good mods?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Wow wood elves are a lot harder now that you don't start off allied with Angrund.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Carcer posted:

Are you trying to hold up the Gategate guy as someone who makes good mods?

Considering he was the primary dude behind the USKP and good mods like Cutting Room Floor yeah. Open cities and gate gate was dumb as poo poo though, no question.

My point is that lovely personal opinions shouldn't red flag mods unless they directly influence the mod. There's not much reason to bundle that poo poo together if you don't have to. This is the internet, everyone sucks.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jul 26, 2017

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Mans posted:

That youtube playlist:

Gwen Stefani - Cool
de GwenStefaniVEVO
4:08

Warhammer: Mark of Chaos - Battle March Intro
de ITherealMarcomanI
2:25

Oswald Mosley: Europeans (Documentary)
de The Vindex
1:20:56

Also a whole playlist of Tom Jobim songs. He's alright.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Mazz posted:

Considering he was the primary dude behind the USKP and good mods like Cutting Room Floor yeah. Open cities and gate gate was dumb as poo poo though, no question.

My point is that lovely personal opinions shouldn't red flag mods unless they directly influence the mod. There's not much reason to bundle that poo poo together if you don't have to. This is the internet, everyone sucks.

My response to that is that the quality of their mods doesn't matter. A really popular mod author can potentially turn around and get a job out of the deal, so support of the mod can directly benefit the actual Nazi. These people need to learn that when they display these digusting beliefs that they will immediately be shunned, not rewarded.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
livestream going on of the migrant threat norsca https://www.twitch.tv/totalwarofficial

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Pendent posted:

My response to that is that the quality of their mods doesn't matter. A really popular mod author can potentially turn around and get a job out of the deal, so support of the mod can directly benefit the actual Nazi. These people need to learn that when they display these digusting beliefs that they will immediately be shunned, not rewarded.

If you care that much, don't use it. If the mod makes the game better to me, I'm going to use it. I'm going to disconnect personal views from products unless they directly support the views. I don't see that in these cases yet but thats me.

This seems like grounds for an even worse derail that we've already had so maybe I should leave it at that.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jul 26, 2017

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
The Norsca basically just replace the northern tribes with actually designed stuff, right?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

you're both ded 'ard and right proppa gitz

Pendent posted:

I'll throw stones once Steel Faith adds RaHoWa Sigmarines into SFO

But yeah, it's not like we're all going to retroactively become rape-slavery apologists once the Fimir get added to the game

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ZearothK posted:

Also a whole playlist of Tom Jobim songs. He's alright.

lmao this is incredible. Steel Faith dude would probably give you one hell of a conservation on a drunk friday night out.

SFO status: good

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

CA is streaming Norsca gameplay on their official twitch right now: https://www.twitch.tv/totalwarofficial

FROST DRAGON BITCHES.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Gonkish posted:

CA is streaming Norsca gameplay on their official twitch right now: https://www.twitch.tv/totalwarofficial

FROST DRAGON BITCHES.

Oh my god is the dude bad at playing. Like half his army is standing around with its thumb up its rear end.

And goddamn are Mammoths good. 283 kills against mostly Foot Squires is insane.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Mans posted:

lmao this is incredible. Steel Faith dude would probably give you one hell of a conservation on a drunk friday night out.

SFO status: good

i actually find talking to holocaust deniers to be a little tiresome

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Accidentally shows off regiments of renown for the Beastmen there. Well played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

War Mammoth stats:
http://i.imgur.com/MjFOfM1.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/DJJXiLR.jpg

400 of their damage is AP. Holy poo poo. War Mammoths.

Also the streamer guy just loving accidentally showed RoR for the beastmen. No details, but they were there.

• Locked thread