Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I know I'm late to the party but Spider-Man Homecoming was dorky and full of mood swings and absolutely awesome for it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

pubic works project posted:

Lmao I was referring to Kat Dennings' massive mammary mouthfuls, but I do remember that!!

Two Broke Girls is a terrible show but I knew that she's in it for a reason. Or two.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Kat Dennings is adorable, but she's not a very versatile actor. She should probably be limited to snarky best friend roles.

pubic works project posted:

Lmao I was referring to Kat Dennings' massive mammary mouthfuls, but I do remember that!!

Then she was later trying to convince Tony he is a Skrull, and I think trying to get him to gently caress her as well.

The Avengers run that leads up to Secret Invasion has a lot of sexualization of Jess, like when she shows up for the first time wearing her Spider-Woman costume the only way it would be more obvious to how Luke Cage is reacting to it if they put a boing sound effect on his pants. Hopefully if she does appear in the movies in some way, they'll use her current costume. Actually I could totally see them having Jessica Drew being a young girl who looks up to Carol in Captain Marvel, then when she comes back to earth, she's a grown woman and they can be BFFs. She also better be BFFs with Wanda too, there needs to be some Gal Pals in the MCU. We have lots of Bromances.

I was also thinking that maybe the end of Captain Marvel, it looks like she's sacrificed herself to stop the Skrulls, like blows up their ship and she doesn't get out, but then in Avengers 4 they find her in space, maybe a prisoner of the Skrulls or she's turned into Binary or something. Actually thinking how dumb Marvel's deals were, I'd not be surprised Binary is owned by Fox.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

twistedmentat posted:

Kat Dennings is adorable, but she's not a very versatile actor. She should probably be limited to snarky best friend roles.

She's okay in small doses. She definitely doesn't have the chops to be a leading lady.

Speaking of leading ladies, I can not wait for Black Panther because Danai Gurira is always the best part of any Walking Dead episode she is in and I expect she is gonna tear poo poo up in BP.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

My problem with Kat Dennings in Thor was that she and Natalie Portman played the same character.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Kai Tave posted:

It's pretty weird that they aren't including her in Avengers 3 and her solo outing takes place in the 90's for unexplained reasons.

Is it?

My thinking is that, based on what we've heard, Infinity War doesn't end with Thanos being defeated. I think it will end with Thanos being, at least partially, successful - rewriting reality itself for the MCU.

It gives them a chance to introduce new heroes, bring back people like Coulson without making people watch Agents of Shield, and gracefully retire their 'A' players while setting up a new continuity.

Now, I don't know whether they will be successful at making any of that work, but you figure they have to let some of their older (and more expensive) actors hang up their shoes at some point. What better way than with a good old fashion spectacle of a clash of universes?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

It seems like Captain Marvel is going to lead the resistance against Thanos after he wrecks the main Avengers. She'll be the beacon of hope that rallies characters like Winter Soldier, Black Panther, Doctor Strange, Ant Man, and the Wasp as the New Avengers.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Calaveron posted:

You know what, DKR was a really goofy movie with a ton of plot holes and nonsensical things and lovely because it demonized something that hey, maybe Bane is kinda right that the rich shouldn't be able to do whatever they wanted at the expense of the poor but dang I loved the bit at the end with Alfred just nodding at Bruce

DKR fell off the rails entirely for me in like...the opening scene of the movie, but the last few scenes really made me question if I ever liked Batman. The way they have Alfred set up that ending earlier in the film is so out of left field. Like maybe if he'd said that clunky poo poo in Batman Begins and I had forgotten about it, sure. Then it's a nice moment. But when it's set up and paid off within like an hour and a half's time, it's just corny. Then JGL is Robin and also suddenly Batman despite being SUPER unprepared for that to happen to him and gently caress's sake. Talking about Dark Knight Rises always makes me feel like a crazy person where I didn't see the same movie that everyone else saw, so I'm the only person giving out about it.

TFRazorsaw posted:

I dunno, I enjoyed PARTS of Dark World. I know Hiddleston gets flack because of all his fans, but I legitimately enjoyed him TDW. That scene where Thor comes to his cell and he tries to pull the "villain who has it all together" card, and then Thor calls him out to reveal both Loki and the cell itself are a huge wreck is legitimately great.

Also, the part where he pretends he's Captain America.

Hiddleston pretty much always elevates the scenes he's in even if I'm not as over the moon on him as most people are. The way he reacted to his "mother" dying was pretty great.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Best case for Cap Marvel is the movie version is actually really good, they movie-ize the comic book version of her and never ever mention anything that happened prior to the movie ever again.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Synthbuttrange posted:

Best case for Cap Marvel is the movie version is actually really good, they movie-ize the comic book version of her and never ever mention anything that happened prior to the movie ever again.

But I liked Carol in Busiek's run.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

twistedmentat posted:

But she's still horrible at that, in the movie and even in the television show that she's the first or second billed in. Natilie Portman can act but often doesn't give a gently caress and turns in really bad performances, yes, but is there any role Kat Dennings has ever been enjoyable in, besides to look at? I don't have anything against her personally, I'm sure she's very pleasant, but she's just not very talented as an actress.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
I'm really intrigued by how Infinity War is going to end and what Avengers 4 is about. My pet theory is that Infinity War ends with Thanos collecting the final stone, preferably by ripping it out of Visions skull, and snapping his fingers. The next film begins with an altered reality where Thanos is God-King and only the Avengers remember. Sort of like half the episodes of Stargate. Either that or like the Doctor Who episode The Big Bang, where it's a much smaller scale story about them trying to think of a very clever solution to fix a situation where everything is completely and utterly hosed beyond hope.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I hope this isn't unreasonable but can we put trailer content in spoiler tags? I stopped watching trailers and reading detailed reviews of movies years ago because they give away too much of the movie but just from reading this thread I now know Mjolnir is getting broke in Ragnarok.

I avoid the thread when a movie gets released until I can see it but I don't want to avoid it completely when trailers are released.

PS
Do yourselves a favour and stop watching trailers - my enjoyment of movies is much higher now AND I don't have preconceptions (positive or negative) of a movie before I go in.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/nzmccorm/status/890219034179850240

this is canon

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

kaesarsosei posted:

I hope this isn't unreasonable but can we put trailer content in spoiler tags? I stopped watching trailers and reading detailed reviews of movies years ago because they give away too much of the movie but just from reading this thread I now know Mjolnir is getting broke in Ragnarok.

I avoid the thread when a movie gets released until I can see it but I don't want to avoid it completely when trailers are released.

PS
Do yourselves a favour and stop watching trailers - my enjoyment of movies is much higher now AND I don't have preconceptions (positive or negative) of a movie before I go in.

Personally I like not wasting 14 bucks, so I pay attention to trailers and reviews to avoid that. You can tell a lot about a movie from that, i.e. the poor unfortunate Valerian.

Also trailers are hecka rad, esp when its done well. Thor 3's one has been in constant repeat.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

But she's still horrible at that, in the movie and even in the television show that she's the first or second billed in. Natilie Portman can act but often doesn't give a gently caress and turns in really bad performances, yes, but is there any role Kat Dennings has ever been enjoyable in, besides to look at? I don't have anything against her personally, I'm sure she's very pleasant, but she's just not very talented as an actress.

She was pretty good in the mediocre Canadian indie movie Daydream Nation.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

:thurman:

kaesarsosei posted:

PS

Lmao yeah okay. A lot of people rely on trailers to generate interest. I know I do. Now I'll avoid watching anything beyond the first trailer for a movie that I KNOW I'm going to see.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ragnarok's runtime is 100 minutes. I was already wondering how they were going to pack all that plot into a normal MCU length movie, I hope they have enough time to tell the story they want.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

kaesarsosei posted:

PS

I feel for you, but feel like a majority of the thread would be black bars if we counted trailers as spoilers. There is honestly not much to talk about between releases except the details revealed from trailers, marketing, and details about production.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

CityMidnightJunky posted:

I'm really intrigued by how Infinity War is going to end and what Avengers 4 is about. My pet theory is that Infinity War ends with Thanos collecting the final stone, preferably by ripping it out of Visions skull, and snapping his fingers. The next film begins with an altered reality where Thanos is God-King and only the Avengers remember. Sort of like half the episodes of Stargate. Either that or like the Doctor Who episode The Big Bang, where it's a much smaller scale story about them trying to think of a very clever solution to fix a situation where everything is completely and utterly hosed beyond hope.

If you think about it, this makes sense in regard to why they're being cagey about Captain Marvel being set in the 90s. It releases after Avengers 3/4 and is set before Iron Man, which aside from Pym Ant-Man and Cap is generally accepted to be the start of heroes becoming more numerous/prominent.

It's possible that Captain Marvel is after some kind of clock reset that goes down after Infinity War and that's why the first movie of that wave is in the 90s, but they won't address why or where Carol has been since (aside from the standard reason that the movie hasn't been released yet).

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Madkal posted:

Superman's non-union Mexican equivalent senor Supermano.

I'm not seeing what's so great about his hands...

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Chickenwalker posted:

If you think about it, this makes sense in regard to why they're being cagey about Captain Marvel being set in the 90s. It releases after Avengers 3/4 and is set before Iron Man, which aside from Pym Ant-Man and Cap is generally accepted to be the start of heroes becoming more numerous/prominent.

It's possible that Captain Marvel is after some kind of clock reset that goes down after Infinity War and that's why the first movie of that wave is in the 90s, but they won't address why or where Carol has been since (aside from the standard reason that the movie hasn't been released yet).

It's after 3 but before 4.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

kaesarsosei posted:

How do you decide what movies to see? By title?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Here's a HD version of that BP poster

I'm not in college anymore but they need a velvet blacklight version of this for all the nation's dormrooms.

Also, I love the Killmonger costume design, that mask kicks rear end.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I do not think anyone in the Marvel cinematic world is aware Captain Marvel ever existed, including Nick Fury. Just my wild guess, but people's memories are somehow being erased, or she has something going on like The Sentinel.

The MCU had always seemed like after Captain America no one with superpowers showed up in the modern world until Iron Man or perhaps the Hulk, then they carved out a little space for Ant-Man but had his existence classified. They're a very new thing people aren't used to.

Kate fighting aliens in the 90s doesn't make any sense unless no one knows it happened for some reason.

I believe all memory of these events will have been erased, and the end of the movie is the modern day where she either returns or gets her memory back.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I do not think anyone in the Marvel cinematic world is aware Captain Marvel ever existed, including Nick Fury. Just my wild guess, but people's memories are somehow being erased, or she has something going on like The Sentinel.

The MCU had always seemed like after Captain America no one with superpowers showed up in the modern world until Iron Man or perhaps the Hulk, then they carved out a little space for Ant-Man but had his existence classified. They're a very new thing people aren't used to.

Kate fighting aliens in the 90s doesn't make any sense unless no one knows it happened for some reason.

I believe all memory of these events will have been erased, and the end of the movie is the modern day where she either returns or gets her memory back.

I mean, Skrulls are probably the only alien that could invade earth and not be noticed by the general public. Would limit where her battles could take place though.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It's always been cagey whether Fury knew about things like aliens. He wanted to create the Avengers to "Fight the things we never could." Given stuff like AOS established gifted and enhanced people being indexed and catalogued by SHIELD for years and covering it up (not to mention having an alien corpse lying around) and nothing in the films contradicts it, I don't think that it's much of a stretch to think he witnessed Carol's early adventures and has kept it close to his chest for a while.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Even Ant Man was more of a SHIELD agent than a superhero.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If Nick Fury is in it, I wonder if Phil Coulson could be in it, since it would predate his "death" and maybe will be filming after AoS is done (while it could get a sixth season, I wouldn't really expect it to).

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
On the other hand, could be that Nick Fury is the only one who knows about Carol fighting aliens in deep space in the 90s.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Hell, maybe this is how Coulson became Fury's good eye. Like rookie SHIELD agent, along with Fury, saves Fury's life when he loses the eye? (Let's not kid, Fury is losing his eye in this movie)

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You could see the return of Robert Redford too if they could get him.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

They'd need to CGI de-age Coulson. Clark Gregg hasn't aged as gracefully as Samuel L. Jackson.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't know, I think deaging is really only needed if you're showing a passage of time. The same character younger and older.

People wouldn't care much if Coulson looks too old.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They've already de-aged him to early 2000s fairly well on TV budget.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

Hell, maybe this is how Coulson became Fury's good eye. Like rookie SHIELD agent, along with Fury, saves Fury's life when he loses the eye? (Let's not kid, Fury is losing his eye in this movie)

I mean, you're probably right, but I almost want you to be wrong. Like the whole movie, things keep happening that NEARLY hit his eye, but Carol stops them or something happens at the last second to save him. And then in the stinger, it's a flash-forward and he has the patch when she comes back to Earth.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The eye's fine he's just planning ahead.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
If they hadn't shown it was hosed up in Winter Soldier, I'd have suggested he has the patch in the stinger, but on the OTHER eye.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Cythereal posted:

On the other hand, could be that Nick Fury is the only one who knows about Carol fighting aliens in deep space in the 90s.

I dig the idea of Carol being the Woman on the Wall.

My guess is IF ends with Fury saying something like "we need Carol" and it goes from there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

bunnyofdoom posted:

I actually really don't want to see Fury lose his eye. I think it's way better if it's totally unexplained.

• Locked thread