Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

DangerDongs posted:

I'm really liking the U/W monument deck if you are in a meta with lots of control, and I'm also still falling more in love with U/R Emerge. Champion of wits is a good card.

I played WU Monument against three red decks in a row on Saturday. I play in a very aggressive meta and it's amazing that I went 2-1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Star Man posted:

It seems that this foil Neheb, the Eternal that I took p1p1 in a draft on Saturday is worth twelve bucks. Second pack had Hour of Devastation and the third pack had Neheb, the Worthy.

Too bad I wasn't in BR to make a deck with both version of Neheb a thing.

I opened both versions of Neheb at the HOD pre-release and it was probably one of the best sealed decks I've ever played.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Star Man posted:

I played WU Monument against three red decks in a row on Saturday. I play in a very aggressive meta and it's amazing that I went 2-1.

Are you saying its a bad match up? Sunscourage champion and fumigates in the board can help.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Fog is back in business now that the mill deck isn't catching on.

Easily can beat any Monument variety (UW, Mono White), and it's real hard to lose to RDW. As long as you can protect yourself from Ulamog in the ramp deck that's beatable too.

Gonna ride the last few weeks out in style. The deck will die at rotation unless we get some kind of free draw mechanic in Ixalan

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I'm just happy Monored is back

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

DangerDongs posted:

Are you saying its a bad match up? Sunscourage champion and fumigates in the board can help.

The list I played used Dusk//Dawn. The only match I didn't side all three out was the third match because it was against a janky mono-red madness vampires deck and actually got a couple of hits.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

80s James Hetfield posted:

Fog is back in business now that the mill deck isn't catching on.

Easily can beat any Monument variety (UW, Mono White), and it's real hard to lose to RDW. As long as you can protect yourself from Ulamog in the ramp deck that's beatable too.

Gonna ride the last few weeks out in style. The deck will die at rotation unless we get some kind of free draw mechanic in Ixalan

How do you deal with Insult//Injury?

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

PJOmega posted:

How do you deal with Insult//Injury?

I have not ran into it. Is it a SB card for Mono red?

Depending on match up I'll throw some SB Negates into the main.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Somehow I don't think the "Nerdy reference to inform everyone in the room you've had sex" shirts are any more tasteful when you put them on your child.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

can we add "overwhelming fixation on pointless consumerism" to the HENRY offenses eligible for Death by Guillotine? :thermidor:

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
the sad part is that i know mtg players where i'm living now who would 100% put that on their child and then go to fnm AND make the store owners babysit

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

People need to go back to being ashamed of this hobby.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Snacksmaniac posted:

people stopped???

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Snacksmaniac posted:

This is still not worse than wrestling

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
In both wrestling and magic, tapping out is emasculating.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
If I saw that IRL I would probably snicker and roll my eyes and then not really care.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Well, it's a good shortcut to saying "my parents are socially worthless."

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Star Man posted:

The list I played used Dusk//Dawn. The only match I didn't side all three out was the third match because it was against a janky mono-red madness vampires deck and actually got a couple of hits.

I think running two fumigates in the side will be common if RDW continues its reign. Sunscourge Champion is a beast against them as well.

U/W has so much reach; I love it.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

is there a mtgoon discord channel?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Haven't been following the thread in the past few days, apologies if this has been answered

Say I put three -1/-1 counters on a Festering Mummy with an Hapatra on the board

Do I end up with 2 snakes, or 4? Basically, do all three of those initial counters get put on the Mummy at once, or one at a time until it dies?

I made a kitchen table, casual deck in BG Hapatra, wanna make sure I know how it actually works

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

gif Probst posted:

is there a mtgoon discord channel?

the irc channel in the op is still in use at least

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Soul Glo posted:

Haven't been following the thread in the past few days, apologies if this has been answered

Say I put three -1/-1 counters on a Festering Mummy with an Hapatra on the board

Do I end up with 2 snakes, or 4? Basically, do all three of those initial counters get put on the Mummy at once, or one at a time until it dies?

I made a kitchen table, casual deck in BG Hapatra, wanna make sure I know how it actually works

You will get two snakes. Assuming each of the -1/-1 counters is being placed individually by its own trigger, the first one resolving will kill the Festering Mummy and cause the remaining two to fizzle due to the lack of a legal target. This gives you one snake, and then the Festering Mummy's death trigger will give you a second.

(The Festering Mummy will actually die and trigger with the remaining two -1/-1 counter triggers still on the stack, waiting to fizzle, but that's basically just minutia for this example).

If you were putting all the -1/-1 counters on from a single ability, it's still just two snakes. Hapatra gives you one snake for each instance of placing -1/-1 counters, no matter how many you place at once.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Voyager I posted:

You will get two snakes. Assuming each of the -1/-1 counters is being placed individually by its own trigger, the first one resolving will kill the Festering Mummy and cause the remaining two to fizzle due to the lack of a legal target. This gives you one snake, and then the Festering Mummy's death trigger will give you a second.

(The Festering Mummy will actually die and trigger with the remaining two -1/-1 counter triggers still on the stack, waiting to fizzle, but that's basically just minutia for this example).

If you were putting all the -1/-1 counters on from a single ability, it's still just two snakes. Hapatra gives you one snake for each instance of placing -1/-1 counters, no matter how many you place at once.

Ah yeah, sorry, I was confusing Hapatra and Nest of Scarabs, which is also in here, which triggers multiple times ("one or more counters/create that many insects").

Let's say specifically Nest of Scarabs with Plague Belcher ETB which puts two on the Mummy. That would trigger twice since it's a single ability, yes? Then again for the Festering Mummy's ability.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Correct - the Nest of Scarabs would give you three insects total, though Nest of Scarabs giving you multiple insects is not the same as it triggering multiple times. It will trigger once each time you place any number of -1/-1 counters on a creature and give you that many insects.

I think you are correctly identifying the main distinction, though - if you are placing -1/-1 counters on a creature individually, the creature dying will cause any of them still on the stack to fizzle, and your effects that care about you placing counters will only trigger for the ones that resolved. If you are doing them all with one ability, you can place any number of -1/-1 counters and get your triggers for them.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jul 26, 2017

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Nest of Scarabs is so fun for exactly that reason. Exemplar of Strength and Channeler Initiate suddenly come with 3 free 1/1s.

Related question: If I play Grind with a Hapatra on board, I get two snakes, right?

Edit VVVV :toot: Thought so, but wanted to make sure just in case.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jul 26, 2017

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Hapatra says "whenever you put ... on a creature", so yes, you'll get a snake for each creature you put a counter (or counters) on.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
For standard mono blue Mill, essence scatter, the bounce spell, and sideboard Engulf don't seem enough to handle heavy aggro. Is there anything else good besides Aether Meltdown like the old bad mono blue Mill deck used?

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
You have to pick off so many early threats with like Scatter or Horribly Awry the deck then becomes about defense vs creatures instead of the mill plan

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Mardu Vehicles/RDW can go so low to the ground and fast that counters won't help and milling/Engulf is too slow.

I lost a game with an opening hand of three land, two fraying sanity, and a startled awake because Mardu Vehicles threatened to kill me T4

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Voyager I posted:

Correct - the Nest of Scarabs would give you three insects total, though Nest of Scarabs giving you multiple insects is not the same as it triggering multiple times. It will trigger once each time you place any number of -1/-1 counters on a creature and give you that many insects.

I think you are correctly identifying the main distinction, though - if you are placing -1/-1 counters on a creature individually, the creature dying will cause any of them still on the stack to fizzle, and your effects that care about you placing counters will only trigger for the ones that resolved. If you are doing them all with one ability, you can place any number of -1/-1 counters and get your triggers for them.

Got it, thanks

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
If you want a good challenge this morning try to get through the Amonkhet story finale without laughing

It starts with this

quote:

Nicol Bolas flew toward the heroes, eager to kill someone today.

Either he would have deaths, screams, and blood, or he would, perhaps, have something better.

He did not expect to have both. One could not have everything. Not even Nicol Bolas. He was not greedy. Greed implies wanting something you didn't deserve.

Everything Nicol Bolas wanted was entirely deserved.

And only gets worse

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Tainen posted:

If you want a good challenge this morning try to get through the Amonkhet story finale without laughing

It starts with this

And only gets worse

How the gently caress even does this get published.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

quote:

Ruminating on all he had lost fanned the glowing ember of hate burning in his chest. The growing flame felt good. The hatred felt right.
[...]
He had not needed wings to fly for a very long time, but he loved the way it felt, his majesty fully unfurled and on display.
[...]
Over the long years, Nicol Bolas knew it served him poorly to be too much the dragon. But it was no fun to be the dragon too little.

it's not like these writers have ever been Tolstoy but this is one of the worst I've seen in quite a while

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Troop started out on the creative team in 2006. Ain't nobody gonna edit his texts.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Walked posted:

How the gently caress even does this get published.

Wizards does not want to pay proper writers.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

ShadeofBlue posted:

Wizards does not want to pay proper writers.

They made their game worse to put story first and then didn't pay for good writers? That is a WOTC move.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
The worst part is that a few of the actual Magic novels are...well, maybe not good but at least serviceable.

What ever happened to Mark Grubb?

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

80s James Hetfield posted:

This is still not worse than wrestling

My wife and I have recently gotten into both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
I just participated in my third week at this LGS where they have a Commander league. They register me with a dci number, so I imagine it is a sanctioned league.

They use a home brewed points system for achievements during play and then tally the points at the end of six weeks.

On my second week, I was eliminated turn 7 when a player cast Emrakul. Someone else at the table countered it, but he chose to steal my turn, despite the fact I had not done anything of note at that point and was not the threat on the board. The only card he (or I) could cast from my hand was Toxic Deluge.

I even suggested that the game had just started and not to kill me with my own card, but he did it anyway.

The next week he and I are placed in the same pod again, and he starts rubbing in my face how I would have to do a laundry list of things to get back at him for eliminating me with my own turn. Lo and behold, he does it again. Emrakuled and took my turn. He proceeded to do all the cool things the deck is supposed to do, and earns all my achievements. I argued that according to oracle, I am still the active player, and I should be awarded the points. It's bad enough he crippled my board state, but they ruled he gets the points.

I won the game with Mortal Combat, but using a card that "wins the game" earns points for everyone else. As I'm taking any victory I can get, the guy comes up to me and shows me Tormod's Crypt saying he could have used this, but he wanted the game to end. Mind you, points matter more than winning.

This is straight up bullying. He's going out of his way to take any achievement or fun away from me. I talked the organizers about the ruling and the bullying, and they completely took his side.

I grew up getting bullied. I know how it goes. Bullies aren't stupid and they push buttons until you react in a negative way that makes you look bad. The organizer said that he didn't do anything outside of the game to warrant bullying, but that's exactly it. He won't. He has all the power in the game, and he has the organizers on his side.

I drove a half hour to get to this league and I don't feel welcome going back. I tried reporting him to the store, but they won't even recognize that there is a problem.

Is there a formal channel I can go through to report the player and the store?