Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I saw a really good video that posits the theory that there's still plenty of wildfire caches hidden all around King's Landing, Cersei didn't blow up all of it.

Therefore, if Dany attacks King's Landing with dragons, their fire may set off further wildfire caches and gently caress up the city beyond repair. Cersei may even be planning on this and tactically retreating to somewhere else to let Dany commit this horrible war crime, then try to rally all the houses to her side by going "Look at this terrorist motherfucker over here!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Vegetable posted:

The real calamity is that they keep choosing to retain the shitheel directors instead of good ones

Remember how poo poo Mark Mylod was last season? Maisie Williams had to tell him that Arya was stabbed and shouldn't be like the terminator running and doing flips through the city. Of course they brought him back to direct 2 out of the 7 episodes this time.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

some guy on the bus posted:

Remember how poo poo Mark Mylod was last season? Maisie Williams had to tell him that Arya was stabbed and shouldn't be like the terminator running and doing flips through the city. Of course they brought him back to direct 2 out of the 7 episodes this time.

Mylod wasn't responsible for that I thought

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

WampaLord posted:

I saw a really good video that posits the theory that there's still plenty of wildfire caches hidden all around King's Landing, Cersei didn't blow up all of it.

Therefore, if Dany attacks King's Landing with dragons, their fire may set off further wildfire caches and gently caress up the city beyond repair. Cersei may even be planning on this and tactically retreating to somewhere else to let Dany commit this horrible war crime, then try to rally all the houses to her side by going "Look at this terrorist motherfucker over here!"

This is an incredibly stupid plan- so since it's Cersei we're talking about, and "no more books to adapt" GoT we're talking about : Plausible.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Phi230 posted:

Mylod wasn't responsible for that I thought
That was all him. The script said only "A dazzling foot chase."

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

WampaLord posted:

Cersei did 9/11

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

wildfire can't melt valyrian steel

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Found it in my post history from last year's thread.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/2016/06/13/game-of-thrones-maisie-williams-explains-why-arya-was-never-goin/

quote:

Williams explains that episode director Mark Mylod and his team wanted Arya's escape from The Waif in episode seven and subsequent chase in No One to be far more theatrical, but the actress maintained that it wasn't Ayra's style.

She said that in her mind, Ayra was really struggling, and wouldn't expend extra energy on pulling cool-looking stunts when she was just trying to stay safe:

"I wanted her to look like she was struggling. I didn’t want [the chase stunts] to be unnecessary or superhuman. I got on set and they were [going to have Arya] rolling around, and diving, and I was like, 'That looks amazing, but no.' I’d be like, 'Why would she run over there? She’d just duck under here and just get out.'"

some bust on that guy fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jul 26, 2017

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

skasion posted:

She's also the head of House Lannister and losing the ancestral home of your family is a big blow to anyone.

Is she though? I can see how she could grab power in KL because she is there with her troops and Greggor, but there are a host of other, male, Lannisters at Casterly Rock. Even the retard beetle crusher would be ahead of her in the succession. I would have expect ravens in the thousands to head to dragonstone with every noble with something left to lose offing their undying loyalty, including whatever minor Lannister is in charge. Lannisters are scheming and power hungry. None of them want to deal.

Taking the Westerlands will cut off her supply of troops and, presumably, food. That makes tactical sense. Why they didn't just say that must be because the average watchers wouldn't understand strategic goals. So they offer the worst kind of objective, symbolic.

Why do they need to bother with KL at all? Use the dragons and risk setting off the wildfire. Are there any troops there at all? It has no strategic value, it's just symbolic. All she has to do is send ravens to all the noble houses and tell them she has dragons, bend the knee, or lose everything. If they prevaricate, blow up KL and send another raven. "Sorry your answer must have got melted when I annihilated Cersei, what as your reply?" No need to risk any of her troops.

I just rewatched the scene, another thing that makes zero sense. They must use westerosi troops to take KL? "We are only going to murder, rape and burn (in any order) you with those people who you probably have a 1000 year blood feud with. Not the nasty foreign savages. Happy?" :master:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Collateral posted:

Why do they need to bother with KL at all? Use the dragons and risk setting off the wildfire. Are there any troops there at all? It has no strategic value, it's just symbolic.

My dude, the show is called Game of Thrones. The throne being symbolic doesn't matter, it's important. Notice how everyone was declaring themselves king in the beginning of the show, but the only actual king was the one on the Iron Throne?

To rule Westeros, you must control the Iron Throne.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Do we get ice dragon this season or next season

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Mylod was also the moron saying that the Blackfish abandoning his family to go kill himself for no reason was an act of personal redemption and a moment of dignity

quote:

He's a man who carries a lot of shame for not being in the right place at the right time at the Red Wedding," Mylod said. "He's carried that shame and here was a chance for at least a bit of personal redemption to give himself that moment of dignity.

Kajeesus posted:

We had an assistant named Mark Mylod. One day last summer he walked into our office and said, 'You know that guy (Blackfish) whose family gets massacred by the Freys? The one whose survival instinct lets him escape the Red Wedding?' 'Yeah?' 'Well,' said Dave, doesn't it make sense that he'd stay at Castle Riverrun when Brienne offers to help him escape and fight for his family? Where else is he going to go?' 'You're right,' we said. 'That does make sense.' 'And what if during the lack of a battle for Castle Riverrun, he insists on dying in battle anyway?' This year, Mark Mylod is a writer on the show.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

drunken officeparty posted:

Do we get ice dragon this season or next season

Final shot of this one.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

WampaLord posted:

My dude, the show is called Game of Thrones. The throne being symbolic doesn't matter, it's important. Notice how everyone was declaring themselves king in the beginning of the show, but the only actual king was the one on the Iron Throne?

To rule Westeros, you must control the Iron Throne.

Truly. If I were a general I would be very pleased if my opponent focused on symbolic objectives while I took all the strategic ones.

To rule the seven kingdoms you must murder all other claimants. You can't do that with symbols, unless they are heavy ones.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Collateral posted:

Is she though? I can see how she could grab power in KL because she is there with her troops and Greggor, but there are a host of other, male, Lannisters at Casterly Rock. Even the retard beetle crusher would be ahead of her in the succession. I would have expect ravens in the thousands to head to dragonstone with every noble with something left to lose offing their undying loyalty, including whatever minor Lannister is in charge. Lannisters are scheming and power hungry. None of them want to deal.

at least in the books, Cersei is straight up told to go home because she's Lady of Casterly Rock and belongs there

also it's not a dumb symbolic blow if it potentially goads Cersei into taking the field, and also pisses off or weakens a shitload of Lannister bannermen

e) also not 100%, but pretty sure that any daughter of Tywin would come before any children of his younger siblings

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jul 26, 2017

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
like this is a story where the whole reason Robb Stark died was that he had to do something after he lost Winterfell, which led to him leaving Riverrun and trying to get the Freys back. taking the ruling house's seat away from them isn't just "symbolic"

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Collateral posted:

I just rewatched the scene, another thing that makes zero sense. They must use westerosi troops to take KL? "We are only going to murder, rape and burn (in any order) you with those people who you probably have a 1000 year blood feud with. Not the nasty foreign savages. Happy?" :master:

To be fair, they're not actually attacking King's Landing, they're blockading it to starve the crown out.

Not that that would really be all that much better as the common people starve in the streets and are killed in the inevitable fights with the city watch.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
well, the Tyrells blockaded KL and caused a famine too, and they forgave them pretty quickly after that

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

at least in the books, Cersei is straight up told to go home because she's Lady of Casterly Rock and belongs there

also it's not a dumb symbolic blow if it potentially goads Cersei into taking the field, and also pisses off or weakens a shitload of Lannister bannermen

Securing the Westerlands as a strategic goal, as the Riverlands would fall at the same time. But I am straying into tactical realism territory here. They will use it as shorthand to say, "They took Gibraltar, Hurrah, than means the Westerlands and the Riverlands instantly theirs."

The people will care a huge amount that the people who are eating their women and raping their horses are Westerosi, because they can at least get revenge on them, sometime in the future.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

The plan is dumb and bad because they have no reliable way to communicate, and splitting forces allows Jamie to engage them at parity levels and defeat them in detail.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
They have no lines of supply either. An enterprising local commander would burn their ships and seal them up in the Rock. 8,000 troops are going to do a lot 2,000 ft up on a mountain.

However....

There will be no local troops, never mind that they don't seem to have invented officers in Westeros.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

You know in kung fu movies when fifty guys soround the hero and then attack one at a time? Basically thats the plan

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

well, the Tyrells blockaded KL and caused a famine too, and they forgave them pretty quickly after that

it was Stannis the one that blockaded KL, the Tyrells helped lift the siege.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I think some of this stuff will be at least partially addressed soon. Tyrion has secret negotiations with Jaime at some point to try to resolve things bloodlessly.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Dany doesn't want to starve everyone in KL to death. She wants them to be under siege and start to starve, then turn on Cersei because they can see friendly house armies outside representing the true queen and not the queen they hate.

I thought this was pretty clear. That's why she won't use foreign armies. They're trying to win the hearts and minds of the people to help them.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
She should drop leaflets from Drogon's back.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
She should go to the United Kingdoms and get them to officially endorse sanctions.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

While tyrion's plan is stupid, he is attempting to dismantle the "mad king" vibe that will follow Danny. If she just comes in and blows up King's landing than he is aware everyone will think she is the next mad king. She can't rule that way except through fear, which isn't what she wants.

The logic of not just killing everyone in king's landing was sound. The show's presentation was not nor was the alternative plan that tyrion went with

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jul 27, 2017

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the plan would be far less stupid without euron inheriting ramsay's magical powers and knowing they're gonna pull even more bullshit so there's parity when "realistically" cersei would get destroyed in a week due to having no allies and virtually no manpower after years of war.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

the plan would be far less stupid without euron inheriting ramsay's magical powers and knowing they're gonna pull even more bullshit so there's parity when "realistically" cersei would get destroyed in a week due to having no allies and virtually no manpower after years of war.

Don't forget the massive amount of debt they have that the show made a big deal about but then forgot about.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The other thing with not attacking KL with dragons and brown people is that Dany genuinely thinks the people are there waiting for her to come and be the queen. She's already crazy.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Shwqa posted:

Don't forget the massive amount of debt they have that the show made a big deal about but then forgot about.

oh yeah what the gently caress how does the iron bank still function.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Groovelord Neato posted:

Unbeknownst to anyone, the white walkers have been buying up the Iron Throne's debt to Braavos and will call it in to force the crown to default before they launch their invasion

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

too big too fail, probably got bailed out

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Wow, Maisie Williams is awesome.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

JBP posted:

The other thing with not attacking KL with dragons and brown people is that Dany genuinely thinks the people are there waiting for her to come and be the queen. She's already crazy.

Cersei just blew up the Great Sept and nobody likes her. It's not entirely crazy to think that people might be pining for a return of the Targs at this point.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

They didn't forget about the Iron Bank. It's supposedly a plot point this season.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Tycho's actor said he's in several episodes this season and several next, I think.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

TOOT BOOT posted:

They didn't forget about the Iron Bank. It's supposedly a plot point this season.

What, they're going to send over a bunch of repossessors and wind up taking the dragons, all the Valyarin swords, the Iron Throne, Cersei's jewerlry and the Imp?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Goddamn but there are a lot of names in ASoIaF that start with "Iron." Iron Islands, Iron Throne, Iron Fleet, Iron Gate, Iron Emmett, Iron Bank, Iron Vengeance, "The Iron Captain" chapters, Iron Victory, Iron Lances, Iron Wind, and Iron Shields.

• Locked thread