Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Creepiest creep: Ross Geller or Ted Mosby?
At least Ted never lied to a woman about not being married to her just because he didn't want to have another divorce under his belt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They are the same character

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

They are the same character

Been a while since I watched himym but Ted was a less dangerous manipulative, jealous, controlling creep if I recall correctly

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Psyche was great and James Roday is a goddamned national treasure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6JvewV0MOA

Man I really need to rewatch Beerfest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMTYn9ycm3o

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Ted was just bland and dumb. Ross was creepy.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

try the new taco place posted:

I turned Ozark off after two minutes of a really boring Jason Bateman monologue, does he stop that?

It's the cinematography I can't stand. Like could they not afford lights? Was their color corrector suite broken and they could only spin the blue dial up?

I mean there is composing a shot the way you want it, and thats fine, but Ozark is just flat and dark and not in the thematic way. It was laborious to watch half of the first episode.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jul 26, 2017

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah it is dark and blue as hell, that's true.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Calaveron posted:

Been a while since I watched himym but Ted was a less dangerous manipulative, jealous, controlling creep if I recall correctly

Haven't watched himym in awhile either but I think Ted's problem was more that he's the type of guy who will make grand sweeping romantic gestures to get a girl's attention and start a relationship, but isn't interested in the day to day emotional labor to make that relationship last. Also the sort who would move mountains to cover up even the slightest perceived flaw or baggage or problem with his own life and expect others' help there, but not offer the same in return.

The interactions with Robin are probably the easiest example. Ted hired a band to make a romantic move or would rain dance in hopes of ruining her being alone with someone else, while Barney was the one helping her job hunt and keeping her citizenship.

I never watched Friends so I really have no idea what Ross was like.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Zerilan posted:

Haven't watched himym in awhile either but I think Ted's problem was more that he's the type of guy who will make grand sweeping romantic gestures to get a girl's attention and start a relationship, but isn't interested in the day to day emotional labor to make that relationship last. Also the sort who would move mountains to cover up even the slightest perceived flaw or baggage or problem with his own life and expect others' help there, but not offer the same in return.

The interactions with Robin are probably the easiest example. Ted hired a band to make a romantic move or would rain dance in hopes of ruining her being alone with someone else, while Barney was the one helping her job hunt and keeping her citizenship.

I never watched Friends so I really have no idea what Ross was like.

Whoa, I had never seen it that way but you're absolutely right with how Ted treated Robin vs. Barney. Ted stole a blue horn but Barney helped her make a curriculum. Ted made it rain but Barney helped her out in smaller ways

Ross was this dude who constantly mooned over his high school crush Rachel but never pursued her and would try to scare away people who were trying to date her and then was all passive about trying to get her, essentially guilting her into falling in love with him and when she did he made a list of pros and cons vis a vis Rachel and the girl he was currently seeing. She found out and got rightfully pissed but forgave him after she saw an old home movie where he as a college student was getting ready to take her a high school senior to her prom but dumped him for her original date who originally wasn't going to show up but did. Then their relationship showed them having actually nothing in common and when she was finally able to escape her dead end waitress job for a pretty good foot-in-the-door opportunity at fashion he figuratively smothered her being an insecure little weiner since it was some dude who helped her get the job and when she eventually said hey let's take a second to reevaluate where we're at he immediately went off to sleep with another girl

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Best Friends line is where Ross says he deserves a medal for turning down sex after not getting any for 4 months

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Also years later Rachel and Ross got incredibly drunk in Vegas and got married which is 100% on both of them but then Ross lied about having gotten an annulment and remained unknowingly married for a couple more episodes

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Friends is terrible

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Cons:

She's not Rachem

e: fwiw him refusing to annul the marriage/divorce right away was also because he was sick of his 'thing' being the guy who gets divorced all the time.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
lol my computer room was also the 2nd tv room so i got to watch all the friends/will&grace/fraser shows with mom while looking up sweet pokemon strats

i still remember when ross made that list and put [shes just a waitress] lmaoooo even as a kid i was like 'god drat dude thats cold'

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

esperterra posted:

Cons:

She's not Rachem

e: fwiw him refusing to annul the marriage/divorce right away was also because he was sick of his 'thing' being the guy who gets divorced all the time.

Well maybe there was a reason for that Ross the Divorce Force

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Well, yeah. Ross is a loving mess but that's why I like him. He's a fun character.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Calaveron posted:

Creepiest creep: Ross Geller or Ted Mosby?
At least Ted never lied to a woman about not being married to her just because he didn't want to have another divorce under his belt

He did wait out his wife dying so he could go after the girl he really wanted all along, which I'm not sure whether is worse

I feel like the only thing keeping him from literally being Ross is that he's too pathetic to achieve even that level

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

raditts posted:

He did wait out his wife dying so he could go after the girl he really wanted all along, which I'm not sure whether is worse

I feel like the only thing keeping him from literally being Ross is that he's too pathetic to achieve even that level

His kids are all from one marriage at least

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Say what you want about himym but I'll be damned if anything having to do with Robin/Robin Sparkles isn't just the best

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Best way I can describe Ozark is "Saul Goodman stars in Justified"

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yeah I was wrong about Ozarks, it's great. I just started episode 5, really enjoying the lack of fake drama created by people failing to JUST. TALK. TO. EACHOTHER.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Just finished episode 5 as well and struggling to comprehend how anyone could call it "slow". "Deliberate" maybe but a ton of plot motion is going on and as you say there's no dumb "let's not talk about this thing right now".

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
My only problem with Ozark is that 58 minute episodes are too long. I'm enjoying it though, but I'm just ending up splitting episodes between two sittings. Which is dumb, but whatever.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Looks like the rumors were true with HBO getting ready for True Detective season 3 starring Mahershala Ali. David Milch is working with Nic Pizzolatto on the scripts and it sounds like they're going for more of a season 1 feel by getting a single director for the season. But haven't actually chosen a director yet.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Calaveron posted:

Say what you want about himym but I'll be damned if anything having to do with Robin/Robin Sparkles isn't just the best
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mJAsgIIfNM

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

bring back old gbs posted:

Yeah I was wrong about Ozarks, it's great. I just started episode 5, really enjoying the lack of fake drama created by people failing to JUST. TALK. TO. EACHOTHER.

A few eps in and really like it but kind of agree with your earlier complaint on it visually feeling a bit flat and dark. That might just because the last two things I've watched though were s1 of Better Call Saul and Riverdale.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

raditts posted:

How I Impregnated and Settled for Your Mother.

From what I remember of the finale, they got engaged but they kept putting off actually getting married for a long time. So I think its safe to assume that had Ted not knocked the mother up he would have eventually sabotaged that relationship so he could finally get with Robin. Meeting the mother was purely a speedbump for him. Ted is such a scumbag I can imagine it wasnt long after finding out his wife was going to die or after she actually did die that he started to form a plan on how he would get back together with Robin.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jul 27, 2017

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Also Robin's fish out of water schtick re: being Canadian living in the US despite probably having lived in the US for more than six months

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
I think I gave up on the show before the mother even showed up and still have no idea about anything regarding like the last 2 seasons or so and the finale.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Calaveron posted:

Also Robin's fish out of water schtick re: being Canadian living in the US despite probably having lived in the US for more than six months

Newsradio did it better.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Newsradio did it better.

If I recall correctly it took a while for Dave's canadianness to emerge while Robin was Canadian from jump street
But again if I recall correctly people finding out Dave was Canadian was a fantastic episode

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Calaveron posted:

If I recall correctly it took a while for Dave's canadianness to emerge while Robin was Canadian from jump street
But again if I recall correctly people finding out Dave was Canadian was a fantastic episode

Dave's family came over when he was a child...they thought he was just Midwestern for the longest time.

"I'm from Wisconsin, where taxi cabs are feared, and hunted for their delicious flesh."

God drat, Newsradio was a great show.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Zerilan posted:

I think I gave up on the show before the mother even showed up and still have no idea about anything regarding like the last 2 seasons or so and the finale.

You're better off that way. Not sure if that means you were still subjected to Barney's creepy rear end proposal plan that way played up as something romantic though.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Lmao Ozark better be setting something up with the kid watching all the cartel murder videos, digging around in animal guts, and now old man taught him how to use a gun? He better have a bodycount by the finale.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

JethroMcB posted:

Dave's family came over when he was a child...they thought he was just Midwestern for the longest time.

"I'm from Wisconsin, where taxi cabs are feared, and hunted for their delicious flesh."

God drat, Newsradio was a great show.

It would have been better if Dave really did talk about Wisconsin a lot in previous episodes.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

It would have been better if Dave really did talk about Wisconsin a lot in previous episodes.

I remember they always gave him guff over being from the midwest

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Dave being from a small rural town was definitely brought up a lot. The early seasons did tons of "little guy in the big city" jokes

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

raditts posted:

You're better off that way. Not sure if that means you were still subjected to Barney's creepy rear end proposal plan that way played up as something romantic though.

I didn't get that far. I know one of the last seasons was framed around his wedding but no real details beyond that.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ted is with the mother for like 15-20 years but the show depicts the entire time from him meeting her to her dying in about 2 episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Ted is with the mother for like 15-20 years but the show depicts the entire time from him meeting her to her dying in about 2 episodes.
Actually it was the entire 9th season?

• Locked thread