Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

WoodrowSkillson posted:

i actually just took a quick look and could not even find one of him in WWII german clothing, maybe like a jacket once. WW1, Old west silliness, Finnish, British, and various other period wear but did not see any Nazi stuff, so if he even did its like once or twice and part of a bigger context.

Looks like WW2 pattern Sumpfmuster '43

Sumpfmuster '44

Granted, could be a slightly different post-war variant but who really cares? Some camouflage is cool and shouldn't be what you look at to define a person, SOME EXCEPTIONS APPLY

And its not a one-off, google images for him show multiple instances of the 'Marsh Pattern'

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jul 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Those criticisms seem a bit silly to be as if you are going to be talking about firearms, of course you'll be covering a shitload of German gear.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

bewbies posted:

Re. Soviet artillery, I'm referencing this.

It certainly makes it seem like Stalin envisioned artillery as the fulcrum on which everything else depended, but I'm really not familiar enough with actual operations to know if that's how the battles played out.

I mean, have artillery shelling the poo poo out of everything it can reach as long as you have ammo for it dates back to the first world war, the second world war trick is putting the artillery on tracks or wheels so it can move forward with your forces faster.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jul 26, 2017

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

SeanBeansShako posted:

Those criticisms seem a bit silly to be as if you are going to be talking about firearms, of course you'll be covering a shitload of German gear.

Again, that's why I think its dumb to focus on the camouflage. If he's decked out in nazi regalia, I'm gonna be asking questions and wondering why he decided to wear such things, but just owning/wearing some WW2 German camouflage isn't noteworthy.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Yeah, if we was strutting around in full Hugo Boss SS formal dress and pretty much JUST covering 20th century German weaponry, alarm bells would of course be blaring but this thankfully doesn't seem to be the case.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

HEY GAIL posted:

:stwoon: they make...airsoft...machine guns?

They make airsoft versions of almost every type of gun you can imagine. There's even a fairly expensive musket.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdRN_cEUF0s

Oh, and rocket launchers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLfZeMlf7Ok
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHKydE4zKq4

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

They make airsoft versions of almost every type of gun you can imagine. There's even a fairly expensive musket.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdRN_cEUF0s

Oh, and rocket launchers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLfZeMlf7Ok
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHKydE4zKq4

RPG7 used as room clearing device :psyduck:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

bewbies posted:

Re. Soviet artillery, I'm referencing this.

It certainly makes it seem like Stalin envisioned artillery as the fulcrum on which everything else depended, but I'm really not familiar enough with actual operations to know if that's how the battles played out.

Soviet operational doctrine evolved a lot, Stalin said a bunch of poo poo. Recall his buddy Kulik was the Artillery directorate chief, and famously disparaged the value of tanks. Meanwhile Tukhachevsky got shot. A narrative where Stalin was Right All Along will certainly emphasise artillery and downplay tanks.

EDIT: Consider https://books.google.co.uk/books?id...lanning&f=false

Fangz fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jul 26, 2017

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Again, that's why I think its dumb to focus on the camouflage. If he's decked out in nazi regalia, I'm gonna be asking questions and wondering why he decided to wear such things, but just owning/wearing some WW2 German camouflage isn't noteworthy.

Especially considering the inrange video that's basically a rant about how there's exceedingly little to be had that is decent quality that isn't WWII German, featuring Ian in a spiffy WWI US uniform and lamenting how a guy making horizon blue French stuff couldn't afford to keep doing it.

Also I know I've seen him in gornostrelki stuff when shooting a dragunov, so he just collects stuff.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

But no airsoft pikes? :colbert:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm pretty sure you can get an actual flintlock musket for $470. :stare:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Siivola posted:

I'm pretty sure you can get an actual flintlock musket for $470. :stare:

Airsoft is pretty expensive, yeah.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

My father has a musket in his basement that belonged to his great-grandfather, I would sell it to you for $460 even

I'm p sure it was used for hunting seal, no wars

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Black powder shooting seems like it would be a neat hobby but I hear keeping the poo poo clean is a major bitch.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

zoux posted:

Black powder shooting seems like it would be a neat hobby but I hear keeping the poo poo clean is a major bitch.
you get used to it

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

xthetenth posted:

Especially considering the inrange video that's basically a rant about how there's exceedingly little to be had that is decent quality that isn't WWII German, featuring Ian in a spiffy WWI US uniform and lamenting how a guy making horizon blue French stuff couldn't afford to keep doing it.

Also I know I've seen him in gornostrelki stuff when shooting a dragunov, so he just collects stuff.

Yeah, that's the thing that sucks, not being able to properly re-enact less popular groups without it being prohibitively expensive.

That being said: I do own a sniper smock in sumpfmuster '44 that I've never used because I don't want people at my range to think I'm a closet nazi.

Also, it got me thinking, I own a full set of weapons for re-enacting a Japanese infantryman. Does anyone even do that and what's the thread's opinion on it? We've already seen/heard/talked about SS stuff to death, but how controversial is it to re-enact the Japanese?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

zoux posted:

So is surplus corrosive ammo

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

xthetenth posted:

i don't understand this--it's less expensive to buy fabric and sew it yourself, isn't it? that way you don't pay whoever made the thing for making it. is there some difference between ww1 reenacting and 30yw reenacting i'm missing?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Yeah, that's the thing that sucks, not being able to properly re-enact less popular groups without it being prohibitively expensive.

That being said: I do own a sniper smock in sumpfmuster '44 that I've never used because I don't want people at my range to think I'm a closet nazi.

Also, it got me thinking, I own a full set of weapons for re-enacting a Japanese infantryman. Does anyone even do that and what's the thread's opinion on it? We've already seen/heard/talked about SS stuff to death, but how controversial is it to re-enact the Japanese?

You can probably get away with it in the US because barely anyone in America thinks the IJA was cool and awesome (much the reverse really), though I'll happily give you the side-eye if you were cosplaying as WWII japanese soldiers in Japan.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Not everyone has the necessary skills to make their own reproduction uniforms, or the space needed to store all the necessary cloth, thread, and baubles.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

HEY GAIL posted:

i don't understand this--it's less expensive to buy fabric and sew it yourself, isn't it? that way you don't pay whoever made the thing for making it. is there some difference between ww1 reenacting and 30yw reenacting i'm missing?

Yeah, I think the people who want serious quality that isn't WWII German and a few others do exactly that. However we are getting to a time when uniforms and the like are products of an industrial society, so getting the right fabrics and so on can be severely unfun.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Probably super contentious. Plus, do you really think you can pull off the diet?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I know that at least some people do it.

Also, arguing that only SS uniforms are offensive are dumb as hell, the Wehrmacht wasn't clean.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It is interesting how familiar the average American is with the German atrocities of WWII but I bet very few know about the Japanese war crimes. They were as vile as anything the Nazis did but maybe because the scale wasn't as grand? Or maybe because the West doesn't feel as much sympathy for Asian people?

Unrelated: are there Waffen-SS reenactors?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

zoux posted:

Here, let me just link you to the re-enactment thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3533531

Hoo boy. :godwin:

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

HEY GAIL posted:

:stwoon: they make...airsoft...machine guns?

They made (still make?) airsoft *miniguns* for all your Commando needs.

(dunno if cosplay chewing tobacco is available, though)

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
It's kinda funny having Isserson's "The Fundamentals of Deep Operations" open in one tab of my browser, and a Wikipedia article claiming how it's still classified open in another.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Gnoman posted:

Not everyone has the necessary skills to make their own reproduction uniforms, or the space needed to store all the necessary cloth, thread, and baubles.

farbs should sack up then

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Siivola posted:

Here, let me just link you to the re-enactment thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3533531

Hoo boy. :godwin:

George Zimmer posted:

The really drastic examples were few and far between, but even the subtle, regular stuff was really out there. The group really glossed over alot of atrocities committed by the unit we were portraying. The actual unit during the war liquidated an entire Yugoslavian village in retaliation for local partisan activity. This was never discussed. Ever. Hell, we even had a reenactment of a Yugoslav village occupation, complete with summary executions and everything. As a goony teen I thought it was really interesting and "immersive", but looking back it was in incredibly poor taste.

Racism was big in the unit. Some of it was outright "hyuck hyuck we don't wan't no n-words 'round here" nonsense while most of it was more subtle, poo poo like "there's good ones and bad ones." Ugh. I heard this echoed by virtually every member of the unit to some extent. I'll admit, as an ignorant teenager that wanted to fit in, I joined in on some of it too, which I am most certainly not proud of.

An issue came up with a member of an SS unit that was friendly with our group. The groups charter specifically states that no extremist politics or people who adhere to them are allowed in the group as well as events that the group hosted, which was a fair bit given the groups prominence in the reenacting community in my area. This guy in the SS group had Stukas tattooed on his neck. His myspace had songs by Landzer and Skrewdriver on it. He gave money to the legal defense of a concentration camp guard being extradited to Germany. Needless to say, this guys fascination with the SS went far beyond mere historical interest. I brought this up to some members and said it was kinda bullshit that were letting this guy hang around, which upset alot of the other members in my group. They defended him, saying he was just passionate about the hobby. I suppose aiding escaped Nazis is pretty passionate in a certain light :rolleyes:

One of our female members, who also did Soviet, had an SS themed wedding, down to every detail. The minister, if he really was one, had a swastika armband. She was a really nice person, but goddamn.

This seems, uh, problematic

https://twitter.com/Nigel_Farage/status/889971797386514434

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jul 26, 2017

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
As a reenactor, i've taken part several times in a skit that presented the sack of a city. for some reason, it seems not as bad as the filth that George Zimmer describes. Am I just exculpating myself, or is there a difference? The presence or absence of ideology?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

xthetenth posted:

Probably super contentious. Plus, do you really think you can pull off the diet?

I'm sure the Japanese had a fat cook or something. I'll just claim I was impressed into combat duties due to lack of food or able men on the frontlines.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

HEY GAIL posted:

As a reenactor, i've taken part several times in a skit that presented the sack of a city. for some reason, it seems not as bad as the filth that George Zimmer describes. Am I just exculpating myself, or is there a difference? The presence or absence of ideology?

I would say the difference is ideology, yeah. People know what the Nazis in WWII stand for, they knew what they represent. That they choose to adopt that kind of lifestyle is a display, a signal of the values they choose to hold, and those values are potent and dangerous and awful today.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

zoux posted:

It is interesting how familiar the average American is with the German atrocities of WWII but I bet very few know about the Japanese war crimes. They were as vile as anything the Nazis did but maybe because the scale wasn't as grand? Or maybe because the West doesn't feel as much sympathy for Asian people?

Geography, I guess. Meanwhile in eg China and Korea they are super aware of Japanese atrocities but Nazi iconography and costumes are nbd.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Fangz posted:

I would say the difference is ideology, yeah. People know what the Nazis in WWII stand for, they knew what they represent. That they choose to adopt that kind of lifestyle is a display, a signal of the values they choose to hold, and those values are potent and dangerous and awful today.
Whereas I don't think any of my friends use reenacting as a cover for their own hatreds, because those hatreds aren't part of anyone's life in Germany in 2017. I don't think my hauptmann wakes up every morning shaking his fists at Catholics...

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

HEY GAIL posted:

Whereas I don't think any of my friends use reenacting as a cover for their own hatreds, because those hatreds aren't part of anyone's life in Germany in 2017. I don't think my hauptmann wakes up every morning shaking his fists at Catholics...

YEAH WELL HE SHOULD! :argh:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
i did once meet a czech woman whose life's ambition was to live long enough to see the anniversary of magdeburg and then set it on fire again

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
This all reminds me, I've been trying to look up stuff about the interwar history of Yugoslavia, and some of it is really strange to think of in retrospect.

A Jewish-Serbian WW1 veteran and officer of the Yugoslav army being sent on a secret mission to USA in 1939 to beg for military supplies, and failing in that mission because of USA not being willing to do anything until Yugoslavia repays its debts, and still being alive to learn about the fate of the Yugoslav Jews, dying in US only a month before Serbia was declared Judenfrei.

Yugoslav volunteers playing whack-a-mole with the NKVD in Spain (namely, trying not to get whacked), and the bitterness towards Stalin that existed in Communist Party of Yugoslavia even before the Tito-Stalin split.

CPY offering to send volunteers to Czechoslovakia to fight the Nazis and staring slack-jawed as France and UK just shrug and give up.

Goddamn, history gets weirder the more you learn about it.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

zoux posted:

The average American knows about death camps, and some vague details about the Eastern Front, but they definitely don't know about all the Soviet POWs starved to death, the Germans burning villages alive for partisan attacks, the rapid advance of Einsatzgruppe murders with Barbarossa, or the entire plan for genociding Eastern Europe so Germans could make more babies for the race war.

The main thing about Imperial Japan is that the hierarchy of command was hosed up 8 different ways. One prison commandant might be normal, the one next door might like to behead lollygaggers. Generals would order troops to please please do not ghoulishly murder the civilians, and then people would go out on patrol and kill every Chinese they come across. It was this hosed up system where the only important thing was raw militarism and nobody was capable of directing any particular narrative.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

The main thing about Imperial Japan is that the hierarchy of command was hosed up 8 different ways. One prison commandant might be normal, the one next door might like to behead lollygaggers. Generals would order troops to please please do not ghoulishly murder the civilians, and then people would go out on patrol and kill every Chinese they come across. It was this hosed up system where the only important thing was raw militarism and nobody was capable of directing any particular narrative.
despite the image they like to project, fascists are always supremely disorganized and suck at things, and this interests me as a phenomenon in intellectual history

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

The most Americans have seen of the Japanese is probably stuff like Pearl Harbour, Empire of the Sun, Bridge over the River Kwai. On the Nazi side you have things like Schindler's List, a whole host of evil-nazis war movies, Inglorious Basterds, and so on. Japanese crimes were pretty grand in scale, but there's just not as much exposure to it. Hollywood's reluctance to do movies with too many Asian actors is probably another factor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I mean Unit 731 is as bonkers cartoonishly evil as anything Mengele ever did. And didn't we Paperclip some of those guys?