Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

ThePeavstenator posted:

yeah this is basically all of the work in the military

actually carrying a rifle is a small fraction of what military personnel does

Given the cult of masculinity inherent in the military I'm not surprised that anyone would look down on people who don't have "real jobs", at least from people I know.

Truck drivers are better than cargo depots because they go into the open

Cargo depots are better than procurement because they have to work in the yard

Procurement is better than Navy sailors because they are "on the ground" still

Etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Another 4d chess move!!

i am harry fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jul 26, 2017

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The symbol means the ad is from Google AdSense, which tailors ads based on your browsing habits.

Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

It's targeted advertisements. He's been tagged as being interested in gay things, likely by browsing gay targeted content, so they advertise gay things to him.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Nope, they won't extend your contract. Also to be clear, this is the exact same thing grunts bitch about when serving with women too. Some women get pregnant and can't deploy. Occasionally you even get a real dirtbag who intentionally tries to time their pregnancies. It's not a massive issue but enlisted gotta bitch, it's what we do best. Don't take it too seriously.

Also, you know a great solution to this? Stop deploying them constantly for ~16 loving years.

They're only "dirtbags" because you didn't think of it first :jerkbag:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

mango sentinel posted:

100% he told no one he was doing this and decided on the spot when he woke up.

I just want to know who the fox pundit was talking about this at five am this morning.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

What am I looking at?
Edit: oh lol

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
It's like how Kurt Eichenwald gets tentacle-related ads everywhere he goes

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

So the game plan right now:

1) McConnell promises everyone everything to get anything through the Senate.
2) In conference, the bill is reconstructed to be BCRA/AHCA.
3) Show time: They put it on the floor and once again dare the moderates to vote against Obamacare repeal.

So what they need to pull off is:

1) Get to 50 on any piece of paper called "health care bill" in the Senate right now
2) Get it out of conference in unfilibusterable shape
3) Get the House to pass the result
4) Get the Senate to pass the result.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Arist posted:

The symbol means the ad is from Google AdSense, which tailors ads based on your browsing habits.

I recognize his name and avatar, but I don't remember if he's a bigot. I take it that he is, though.

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't

SimonCat posted:

The Army is already the most discriminatory employer in the US.

Medical Reasons you can't join the Army:

FFS I'm only 40 and I have half the poo poo on that list.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Autism Sneaks posted:

They're only "dirtbags" because you didn't think of it first :jerkbag:

Nope, intentional sandbagging is pretty much always considered dirtbag behavior because it actively fucks the people you serve with.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Extensive Vamping posted:

Well yeah, why do you think that they recruit in high schools

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Given the cult of masculinity inherent in the military I'm not surprised that anyone would look down on people who don't have "real jobs", at least from people I know.

Truck drivers are better than cargo depots because they go into the open

Cargo depots are better than procurement because they have to work in the yard

Procurement is better than Navy sailors because they are "on the ground" still

Etc.

This is definitely a thing. One of my grandpas would have regular old-man meetings with his friends from his town and they were all military vets. The one guy who was in the marines held it over everyone else's head like they didn't really serve in the military. Everyone in the group hated that guy.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

ThePeavstenator posted:

This is definitely a thing. One of my grandpas would have regular old-man meetings with his friends from his town and they were all military vets. The one guy who was in the marines held it over everyone else's head like they didn't really serve in the military. Everyone in the group hated that guy.

It's a common side effect of working in a strict hierarchy. People form their own hierarchies to lord it over others. Happens with doctors too.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

This is always so loving nasty. Like okay Benny the guy likes some gay stuff and he's feeling uncomfortable with it. That sucks, that's relatable. But then to deal with it he's gonna make it a point to denigrate and hurt LGBT people? But apparently this guy was such a bad journalist anyway he got fired from buzzfeed so whatever

edit: actually I can't tell what this guy's position on this issue is supposed to be. Shoulda owned the gay cruise tweet though.

Casey Finnigan fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jul 26, 2017

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Nope, intentional sandbagging is pretty much always considered dirtbag behavior because it actively fucks the people you serve with.

I somehow knew you'd miss :thejoke:

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
Following a few conservative folks on Twitter it's really shameful to see thread stories by veterans who's argument essentially boils down to:

quote:

"To be successful at war, you have to become a warrior mentally, physically, and emotionally. You can't fake it and go through the motions."

"War is no place for people who are mentally, emotionally, or physically confused or in turmoil. You have your poo poo together, or you don't."

Which, aw geez, maybe there are trans people who aren't confused, but are in turmoil because of attitudes like this.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Extensive Vamping posted:

You're too old to enlist at 40 anyway.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/890250065096343552

Das Kapital.

If only we hadn't gone after Kushner on Russia he totally could have saved us on LGBT.

A a reminder, this is "American Heroes" week at the WH.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Flip Yr Wig posted:

I recognize his name and avatar, but I don't remember if he's a bigot. I take it that he is, though.

Clickbait guy who got fired from Buzzfeed for a lot of plagiarism. Some googling tells me he once tweeted pics of himself eating chicken and waffles in celebration of MLK day.

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY
When will Trump double down on the transgender ban in public?
Will he hold a presser or something?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

lol they think any money saved would ever be put towards veterans

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

Oxyclean posted:

Actually the most confusing part is that that 8.4 million is already being spent on veteran's health care.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/nancyayoussef/status/890244205355966467

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Trump is trying to implement a flat management structure.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Oxyclean posted:

all of the money they're gonna save by throwing trans people under the bus is going right into the family dick pills budget.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I just want to know who the fox pundit was talking about this at five am this morning.

I hate myself, so I just skimmed through most of this morning's shows (and a few of last night's because he TiVos). They talked a lot about the Rust Belt because he gave that speech in Ohio last night. That citation of a WH source is probably accurate -- he's just thinking about voters in the Midwest.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

I actually looked at the graphic and holy poo poo im way more pissed now, it's 2.4 to 8.4 million out of like 50 billion.

gently caress these chucklefucks who just want a race to the bottom. Veteran healthcare shouldn't have to come at the cost of someone else's healthcare.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

farraday posted:

Trump is trying to implement a flat management structure.

"Crushed" is not the same as "flat."

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

The last military budget I remember seeing was 550 billion for one year?

Yeah, that 8 million is really loving poo poo up.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

One day, Trump is just going to wake up and Tweet "After consultation with top experts and the generals, I am sad to announce that the United States is now at war with..."

And then ten minutes later finish with "Germany. Thank you and God bless."

Ten minutes later he'll be berating and threatening to fire Priebus for eating his cruller.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

https://twitter.com/Olivianuzzi/status/890254942858084354

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

tl;dr: More money for them, gently caress you.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Tax cuts.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/SabrinaSiddiqui/status/890254386840170499

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

what specifics? it's three tweets and nothing else.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

This is not super ok. It really is good faith and tradition that holds the military accountable to anybody, and the more Trump's bad faith and breaking with tradition pisses off the Pentagon the weaker that hold gets.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

No Butt Stuff posted:

The last military budget I remember seeing was 550 billion for one year?

Yeah, that 8 million is really loving poo poo up.

Also lol if you think purging trans people from the armed forces is going to be free, even if you believe in Ruthless Efficiency (tm).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

lol I cant get over that "thank you" at the end combined with the Pentagon and the military being like "what the gently caress are you even talking about"

how is he still allowed to tweet

• Locked thread