Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

The only things lower quality than that bike helmet article are historic bike injury statistics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
It's not if you crash, it's when you crash

ATGATT

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Quit ruining the thread with your slap-fight. Take it to PMs and :justpost: OSHA poo poo.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Nocheez posted:

Quit ruining the thread with your slap-fight. Take it to PMs and :justpost: OSHA poo poo.

So is that diagonal crossbeamladder actually doing anything? I can't figure out any forces being imparted to it, and if the ladder the guy's standing on collapsed I don't see how that diagonal ladder wouldn't do anything besides topple. It looks like it's just resting there.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
It sure doesn't look like it's attached in any way, especially considering that the other two ladders are tied together pretty obviously.

If that guy down the bottom sneezes and his foot shifts an inch or two the other guy is gonna end up dead or paralysed.

Suzuran
Sep 14, 2012
I think it's wider at the bottom than at the top, and wider than the long ladder, so it holds the long ladder out from the garage roof.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It sure doesn't look like it's attached in any way, especially considering that the other two ladders are tied together pretty obviously.

If that guy down the bottom sneezes and his foot shifts an inch or two the other guy is gonna end up dead or paralysed.

Nah he'll be fine. He's not wearing a helmet.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Pander posted:

Nah he'll be fine. He's not wearing a helmet.

The lack of safety ensures he will only ever have one accident.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Bar Crow posted:

The lack of safety ensures he will only ever have one accident.

That would be a hilarious actual reason behind "helmets are actually more dangerous" stats. People wearing helmets get into more accidents because they're still alive to get into more accidents.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Suzuran posted:

I think it's wider at the bottom than at the top, and wider than the long ladder, so it holds the long ladder out from the garage roof.

Yeah it's this. The longest ladder us wedged against the diagonal one. Surprisingly ingenious for a bunch of dudes who are gonna die.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
An interesting local OSHA story with unusual consequences. Toronto has a local celebrity called Santa who runs around shirtless screaming and doing thousands of pushups on the sidewalk and on public transit and stuff. Most people in the city have seen him and it's quite the spectacle. What most people don't know is the reason he is that way is because he was a perfectly normal painter who fell 25 feet down a staircase and ended up in a coma for 23 days.

When he came out he'd developed severe bipolar and schizophrenia.

quote:

David Zancai would not sit down and continued doing squats, grunting and grunting until his mother Lorna finally persuaded him to leave his apartment and go to the hospital.

Once she had him in the car, safely in the back seat, she felt some relief — some control.

“I just heard a bang and I looked back, and he wasn’t there,” Lorna said last week, shaking her head on the porch of her Etobicoke home with David by her side, recalling that day in 2008. “He’d jumped out of the moving car.”

Lorna rushed to her son’s aid, forcing him to wait for an ambulance. She then accompanied him to Toronto General Hospital, after which psychiatrists treated him at St. Joseph’s Health Centre.

That day was the beginning of the end for Zancai’s notorious public persona: Zanta, a Santa-hat-wearing, shirtless character who roamed Toronto doing push-ups from 2004 to 2008.

Now 44, he is back living with his mother, where she gives him four pills a day to treat his schizophrenia and takes him to see a psychiatrist at St. Joseph’s once every three months. Zanta is deadened.

Zanta was born after Zancai fell 25 feet onto a staircase while working as a painter in 2000. Zancai suffered a brain injury and spent 23 days in a coma.

Once he recovered, Zancai, unemployed and receiving a monthly disability cheque from the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board, began roaming the TTC, muttering at people as he formed his Zanta persona.

In 2003, Zancai says police checked him in to the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health after numerous run-ins with the TTC. Doctors told him he was bipolar, schizophrenic and a danger to himself.

Near Christmas 2004, he says, bringing a cigarette to his mouth, he attended a custody hearing regarding his 2-year-old daughter wearing a Santa hat in her honour.

When he lost custody, Zancai began running around Toronto yelling, “Yes, yes, yes,” and grunting, rolling his tongue, “Drrrrr,” over and over. “Merry Christmess,” he’d yell, wearing only boots, shorts and a Santa hat, while doing thousands of push-ups on his knuckles.

David wanted to make it known he’d unfairly lost his daughter, he says. He had fans — Facebook pages, a website with 100,000 hits — but also enemies.

Police would routinely arrest him during these performances, hold him at a station for a few hours and then let him go, he says, adding that he was charged with numerous TTC bylaw infractions, disturbing the peace and trespassing.

By 2008, he’d been banned from the TTC, around the CHUM building, from Dundas Square and Exhibition Place, due to probation orders, bail conditions and warnings that he’d be charged with trespassing.

When he broke his probation orders, he’d be dumped in the Toronto (Don) Jail, he says, remembering that he spent two birthdays there.

“I was a prisoner in my own city,” says Zancai, who has a large cyst under his ring finger from doing so many push-ups. “The more they were after me, the more I thought: You’re not going to stop me.”

Zancai, who just wanted to make his fans laugh, brightens as he remembers his three months on TV — in the background of television shows at the CHUM building.

“If (my mom) wouldn’t have interrupted me, this character would have been massive,” he says, grinning. He adds that he appeared on an episode of the Showcase show Kenney vs. Spenny.

“It was just getting bigger and bigger,” he says, holding his newest claim to fame, a graphic novel by Toronto cartoonist Jason Kieffer. “He calls me a living legend.”

Zancai laughs, patting a rounded belly where he once had a six-pack as Zanta.

“If I had kept going, Zanta would’ve been huge — I wouldn’t have a gut on me now, either,” he says. Zancai is a father of four, the oldest of them 22, with three mothers. “I miss it a lot.”

His mother shakes her head; now that Zancai is taking medication, she says, he won’t be doing his Zanta act again. They look at each other, his smile disappears, and they nod.

Lorna doesn’t like the way police handled her son, but officers aren’t doctors, she says; they were just doing their job. She just wishes it hadn’t taken jumping out of a moving car to get him the help he needed.

Lorna rubs his shoulder and goes back inside to fetch him another cigarette. A playful grin returns to Zancai’s face, the graphic novel still in his hands.

“I wasn’t hurting a fly and people were loving it. It sucks — all I do is sit here now,” says Zancai, adding his meds “knock” him out.

“I’m taking these medications — I don’t even need them,” he says. “I just take them to keep my mom quiet.”

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I'm thinking the diagonal ladder was used to prop the ground ladder to the "correct" position/angle, then the horizontal one was put on

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

oohhboy posted:

Wear helmets when riding a bike people.

Counterpoint: not wearing a helmet saves lives. One healthy donor can result in several people living who would otherwise have died.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

The Lone Badger posted:

Counterpoint: not wearing a helmet saves lives. One healthy donor can result in several people living who would otherwise have died.

It's me I'm the selfish bastard who wears a helmet and survives an accident because I like all my organs being inside me.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
I looked at a vendor drawing today with a transformer symbol missing the lines in the middle and realized it was goatse without the ring

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

stump collector posted:

I looked at a vendor drawing today with a transformer symbol missing the lines in the middle and realized it was goatse without the ring

yeah well tesla wasn't married

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

stump collector posted:

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Lone Badger posted:

I am sure that people are dying up to be chopped up. You can't have people forgoing their own survival in the off chance to get body parts. This isn't Rimworld or China.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

stump collector posted:

More than meets the eye.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

More than meets the eye.
:eyepop:

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Kibayasu posted:

That would be a hilarious actual reason behind "helmets are actually more dangerous" stats. People wearing helmets get into more accidents because they're still alive to get into more accidents.

This is absolutely a thing that happens with these sort of thing. Going off of memory here but I believe there are loads more amputee veterans in modern wars, as previously they would've just died.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Splode posted:

This is absolutely a thing that happens with these sort of thing. Going off of memory here but I believe there are loads more amputee veterans in modern wars, as previously they would've just died.

I remember reading something about WW1, I think. They introduced a new helmet, and after the next battle, they were just overwhelmed with head injuries after.
They figured out that the helmet turned a killing blow into an injury/

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Similar situation with planes in WW2. They looked for where the bullet holes were on planes that came back, but found that armoring those places wasn't as helpful as they expected. Someone caught on to armor the spots that didn't have holes since those planes weren't coming back, and they had a lot more success.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
it's sort of similar to how when the RAF started putting armour on their bombers, they wanted to put it on the parts that were all shot up when the planes returned from sorties. right up until this dude pointed out that the planes made it back with those parts shot up, so you were probably better off armouring the parts that weren't damaged because planes that were damaged there probably weren't making it back

booo, scooped :(

quite stretched out fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jul 26, 2017

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

quite stretched out posted:

it's sort of similar to how when the RAF started putting armour on their bombers, they wanted to put it on the parts that were all shot up when the planes returned from sorties. right up until this dude pointed out that the planes made it back with those parts shot up, so you were probably better off armouring the parts that weren't damaged because planes that were damaged there probably weren't making it back

booo, scooped :(

To bring things full circle, Freeman Dyson (who worked as an analyst for RAF Bomber Command during WW2) argued against putting armour, and even gunner positions, on RAF heavy bombers, because statistically they would be much better off flying faster and higher due to the weight savings this would bring about. Psychologically, though, that wasn't going to happen.

Don't Ask
Nov 28, 2002

I hope the link works - Concrete pipes fall off of truck.

e: note there's one already on the enbankment to the right

Don't Ask fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jul 26, 2017

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Huh, I'm surprised that thing didn't crumble. A+ to the contractor who made it. F- to the delivery team.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Huh, I'm surprised that thing didn't crumble. A+ to the contractor who made it. F- to the delivery team.
In Israel they used large, thick concrete pipes like that as bomb shelters, it protected from shrapnel and falling debris if a rocket is intercepted. I don't know if that is what that pipe was for, but it's conceivable it could have been built to a higher specification that is typical.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

:siren: New CSB video! :siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfUrC2u_Nsc

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
:stare:
Wow, what a fuckup. I watched the video without sound and could see what they did wrong almost immediately.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Man, these videos are good.

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

Nocheez posted:

:stare:
Wow, what a fuckup. I watched the video without sound and could see what they did wrong almost immediately.

Yep, no high vis vests.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Jeoh posted:

Man, these videos are good.

The production values on that video are better than their previous ones, too. Sucks that they are underfunded.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Nocheez posted:

That whole contraption is resting on a drop cloth that's going to slip out from under them and gently caress up everyone's day regardless.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Slanderer posted:

The production values on that video are better than their previous ones, too. Sucks that they are underfunded.

"A piece of equipment called a 'gearbox.'"

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Slanderer posted:

That guy has a voice that triggers a sense of impending doom in me.

Like the guy who narrates Airplane Mayday Disaster Investigation Explodyplanes.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
If I ran the CSB id be way too tempted to make a spoof 3D video narrated by that guy.

"At 7:45 AM on Monday, May 22, 2017, a school bus picked up a group of children for a field trip to the natural history museum. The school bus carried twenty-eight children, ranging in ages from eight to ten, two teachers, and two chaperones. At 7:52 the bus approached a level crossing. The driver stopped, checked for trains, and proceeded across the tracks without incident. At 8:02 the bus turned and followed behind a tanker carrying liquified chlorine. As the tanker truck moved on, the school bus turned and parked at the art museum lot. Everyone went in and had a wonderful time exploring the exhibits, seeing live animals, and watching the planetarium show. It was about the solar system. At 3:45 the school bus left the museum and returned to the school without incident. Except for Sally Allenson, who reported being called a 'doodie head' by Jimmy Beaumont."

(CSB Logo)

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
gently caress, guys, my property management company just installed sprinklers in my building and suddenly I've got the urge to light a bunch of candles near my drapes and months-old Christmas tree and leave them unattended. Phanatic was right!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

gently caress off.