Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I keep wanting to play Medieval because it's got my favorite setting but I can't get into the old strategic layer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

CharlestheHammer posted:

With the way they are trending it will be something boring like Shogun 2 or that loving dumb ACW thing

These would be incredibly rad so I'm hoping it's the case now.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Dammit CA just tell us already!

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

I keep wanting to play Medieval because it's got my favorite setting but I can't get into the old strategic layer

Also AI's hilariously bad. Only way to make diplomacy work in anyway is to make ridiculous offers.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

SeanBeansShako posted:

Dammit CA just tell us already!

I'd expect them to announce the Saga game a bit after Total Hammer 2's release with a launch date for the end of the year.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ulio posted:

Also AI's hilariously bad. Only way to make diplomacy work in anyway is to make ridiculous offers.

To be fair that's basically every TW game. At least in Warhammer they've been made smart enough to accept peace offers when you're absolutely crushing them. In previous games the AI's logic was like "I don't want to end this war because I don't like you because we are at war".

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
well, at least starting in Rome 2 if a faction likes you it won't end a 40+ year alliance just to block your port.

That was the most ridiculous bug in Medieval 2.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

To be fair that's basically every TW game. At least in Warhammer they've been made smart enough to accept peace offers when you're absolutely crushing them. In previous games the AI's logic was like "I don't want to end this war because I don't like you because we are at war".

In Shogun 2 you could often get a peace for a few turns and thousands of gold if you win a decisive battle.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Okay strike that, I reinstalled on a whim and it's finally clicking. Spain is kind of a cool and interesting faction too- your infantry is pretty light but you've got good heavy cav to make up for it plus skirmishers. Couple questions:
-Is there a way to stop desertion from a crusade? My troops keep deserting even when en route
-After a city hits max size should I just delete the farms? Does the game have Rome's endless squalor issues?
-What do guilds do, exactly? There's a couple that don't appear to have any effect like explorers
-When do I get sweet sweet gunpowder

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

StashAugustine posted:

Okay strike that, I reinstalled on a whim and it's finally clicking. Spain is kind of a cool and interesting faction too- your infantry is pretty light but you've got good heavy cav to make up for it plus skirmishers. Couple questions:
-Is there a way to stop desertion from a crusade? My troops keep deserting even when en route
-After a city hits max size should I just delete the farms? Does the game have Rome's endless squalor issues?
-What do guilds do, exactly? There's a couple that don't appear to have any effect like explorers
-When do I get sweet sweet gunpowder

How are you moving while on crusade? Grab a boat asap. I think that attrition begins if you don't make significant progress after something like 5-6 turns?

In Medieval 2, squalor is handled much easier via town halls. They provide a public health bonus which certainly helps. Additionally, cathedrals and huge cathedrals also supply a big public health boost as well as happiness and religious conversion.

Guilds will do a few things. Some guilds, like the merchants guild, will give you missions to buy out enemy merchants, and in turn allow you to purchase better merchants. Theologians guilds give you much stronger priests. Explorers Guilds focus on expansion and gaining new territories, and I think they give experience bonuses to boats. Thieves guilds give better spies and assassins. Chapter houses are special knightly houses which offer you unique cavalry units. Knights Hospitaller are a pretty common one, but Spain gets access to a house called Knights of Santiago, which are in between Feudal and Chivalric knights in quality.

Gunpowder comes around turn 120 or 130, I think? On the short campaign at least. To get the really good gunpowder units you really need to research the buildings. Most handgun units are pretty bad until the late game musketeers. The earlier units are pretty much only good for scaring the enemy with loud bangs and lack the range to be truly effective at range. However, the early unit Handgunners have a surprisingly strong melee attack and armor, so they can last a bit longer than arquebusiers or musketeers in a scrum.

Spain starts out with mobile light infantry, but their late game armies are second only to Venice for Catholic factions. And I only say second to Venice because Venice has the monstrous Venetian Heavy Infantry. Spain instead gets an amazing light infantry called Sword and Buckler men, who can go toe to toe with most heavy infantry, and the dismounted Conquistadores, aka best looking infantry in the game. They also have fantastic late game militia forces, such as the tercio pikemen, the aforementioned musketeers, and the Gendarmes noble cavalry.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jul 23, 2017

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
1. Keep moving towards your target-the game is tracking how you move, and if you don't keep moving towards it, they'll desert. They'll also desert if you're taking too long.

2. You can't delete farms once built. Squalour is to get you to keep building obvious health/growth buildings, like Mayor's Palaces.

3. Explorer's Guild specifically increases the move points of troops trained/retrained there, and the highest rank adds a new sea trade route for the city to India. Merchant's Guild improves merchants and trade in the city and gives you some cavalry. Swordsmith's guild improves weaponry(It's also the only way to get any kind of weapon upgrade), Woodsmens guild is England-only and improves archers, Mason's guild gives cost reductions to stone buildings, Assassin's guild improves Assassins(Some factions can also get a 'battlefield assasin' troop type out of higher levels), Thieves guild improves spies, Horsebreeder's Guild improves cavalry and knights, Alchemist's guilds improve gunpowder troops, theologian's guilds improves priests. The Knights of Saint John and Knight Templar are also technically guilds-they allow powerful cavalry to be trained out of them. First level building is one per settlement, second level is one per faction, third level is one in the world. I believe capturing a guild is the only way to slightly get around this.

4.Gunpowder is unlocked by event. People are saying around Turn 100.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Timbuktu is pretty great if you like money - send a couple of merchants to squat on the Gold and they'll start raking it in.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I got up to turn 110 or so and still haven't gotten beyond Spain/North Africa just because I've been lazy, trying to figure out if I can boom out into 40 provinces to actually win.

Btw are there any M2 mods that are basically vanilla+? I don't really want huge overhauls but just bugfixes/light rebalances and the like

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

kingturnip posted:

Timbuktu is pretty great if you like money - send a couple of merchants to squat on the Gold and they'll start raking it in.
Better yet, find the most rewarding resource in Timbuktu and put a fort there. The merchants will be able to tag into the guarissoned force and stack up until 20 merchants.

StashAugustine posted:

I got up to turn 110 or so and still haven't gotten beyond Spain/North Africa just because I've been lazy, trying to figure out if I can boom out into 40 provinces to actually win.

Btw are there any M2 mods that are basically vanilla+? I don't really want huge overhauls but just bugfixes/light rebalances and the like

Stainless Steel is exactly what you are looking for, specially since nowadays the installer asks if you want to instal the super spergy "realism" parts or not (hint, you don't)

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

What features does stainless steel add, looks like map overhaul, few new factions, ai bugfixes?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Ulio posted:

Has there been any word by CA about their next historical Total War game? I have Attila and Rome2 but didn't play them at all because of how bad they were at launch especially Rome 2. I just want Medieval 3.

They're doing a smaller historical game that sounds like it's set in a specific timezone and region and the next big historical game is a new era they haven't done before yet.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

StashAugustine posted:

What features does stainless steel add, looks like map overhaul, few new factions, ai bugfixes?

They expand the map, add some new factions, balance the game and economy out and make the game a bit more in depth without being spergy.

The main issue with the game is that the early era sucks because you're stuck with sargeant spearmen and you won't unlock anything, including feudal knights, for ages. The regular age jump starts the starting date and while you'll be able to play with most units, gunpowder tech takes a few hundred turns to arrive, which might be a pain if you're hoping to use them.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Mans posted:

They expand the map, add some new factions, balance the game and economy out and make the game a bit more in depth without being spergy.

The main issue with the game is that the early era sucks because you're stuck with sargeant spearmen and you won't unlock anything, including feudal knights, for ages. The regular age jump starts the starting date and while you'll be able to play with most units, gunpowder tech takes a few hundred turns to arrive, which might be a pain if you're hoping to use them.

I don't suppose there's a way to gently caress around with settings to get rid of that, or alternately another mod that just makes the AI better/fixes bugs

My big issue with the game is units seem weirdly unresponsive, units have trouble charging correctly and pathfinding in sieges is super annoying

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I mean you can bypass it easily by editing one text file.

Not only can you do that, you can play as every faction on the map.

But still, why even have the feature to begin with? It just blocks people from doing what they want to do.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

StashAugustine posted:

I don't suppose there's a way to gently caress around with settings to get rid of that, or alternately another mod that just makes the AI better/fixes bugs

My big issue with the game is units seem weirdly unresponsive, units have trouble charging correctly and pathfinding in sieges is super annoying

You know, I was thinking and while Stainless Steel is cool, why not try Lands to Conquer? It was Lusted's magnum Opus before he started collaborating with CA directly and it offers six difference theaters and improved pathfinding AI, It's basically Medieval 2++:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?137614-Merry-Christmas-Lands-to-Conquer-Gold-Released!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
His Rome mod was great and all it was just better Rome with cool stuff. Might try it myself!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Mans posted:

You know, I was thinking and while Stainless Steel is cool, why not try Lands to Conquer? It was Lusted's magnum Opus before he started collaborating with CA directly and it offers six difference theaters and improved pathfinding AI, It's basically Medieval 2++:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?137614-Merry-Christmas-Lands-to-Conquer-Gold-Released!

Looks cool, can you play early/high campaigns all the way through or is it just locked to that era?

Also, I realized I'm playing vanilla M2, does Kingdoms affect the game if you're just playing the European campaign?

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

StashAugustine posted:

Looks cool, can you play early/high campaigns all the way through or is it just locked to that era?

Also, I realized I'm playing vanilla M2, does Kingdoms affect the game if you're just playing the European campaign?

I don't think so but a lot of mods require Kingdoms.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

A lot of mods just replace one of the Kingdoms sub-campaigns (your choice) for their installation, so it might be required. Stainless Steel doesn't, iirc.

Democrazy posted:

Not only can you do that, you can play as every faction on the map.

But still, why even have the feature to begin with? It just blocks people from doing what they want to do.

Because it was a decade ago and pc game design was shockingly basic.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Man installing out of date M2 mods on Steam is a massive pain in the rear end

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

StashAugustine posted:

Man installing out of date M2 mods on Steam is a massive pain in the rear end

I can't even get M2 to work anymore. It's v sad.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Speaking of M2, how big a garrison do people usually run? I was trying out Venice because their militia spam looks neat, but both the ERE and Sicily want pieces of me so I have to defend everywhere

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I run as big a garrison as I can get away with with the free upkeep.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

That's what like four guys most of the time? The AI is pretty bad at siege but a proper stack will wipe that

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

On the subject of campaign complexity, I mostly dig on map stuff that could affect battles or switch up the map in fun ways. I particularly miss the zone of influence system from Empire/Napoleon where if two zones of armies touched, you could force an encounter. I remember in a Prussia campaign I had an army parked in a fort and their influence covered enough that no enemy army could cross these two nearby bridges without forcing an engagement. Beats the hell out of wet-fish armies that can squeeze through a nearly-invisible gap that's between you and your three re-enforcing armies.

But yeah. To me, needless complexity is kind of pointless if it doesn't serve the battles.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

StashAugustine posted:

That's what like four guys most of the time? The AI is pretty bad at siege but a proper stack will wipe that

Always max free upkeep garrisons. Never forget to put up watch towers on your borders so you can train/hire mercenaries when you see an enemy coming at you from a long enough distance. Or keep a defensive army of cheap spears and cheap bows on patrol where you think you might get hit. The free garrisons are always just there to boost whatever army you defend with.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

jokes posted:

Always max free upkeep garrisons. Never forget to put up watch towers on your borders so you can train/hire mercenaries when you see an enemy coming at you from a long enough distance. Or keep a defensive army of cheap spears and cheap bows on patrol where you think you might get hit. The free garrisons are always just there to boost whatever army you defend with.

Actually yeah what's the use of watchtowers/forts because that was totally dropped from later TW games

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Watchtowers give you visibility over the campaign map. Forts give an army an okay-ish defensive position with some weak walls, and some "streets" to guide the enemy. Also I think you can use forts to make your merchants invulnerable to enemy merchants.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

^^ Yeah this.

Watchtowers are important because some regions are large enough that you'll have 1-3 turns to prepare for a dude that's beelining it to the region's settlement if you see them coming, and they cost pennies and (I think) are free forever.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Watchtowers are also good in Third Age Total War where every single province is the size of 1/4 of the vanilla map.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
forts are a good way to have your army die of starvation in three turns

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
What the gently caress tw game are you playing?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

StashAugustine posted:

Speaking of M2, how big a garrison do people usually run? I was trying out Venice because their militia spam looks neat, but both the ERE and Sicily want pieces of me so I have to defend everywhere

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

What the gently caress tw game are you playing?

Medieval 2 Total War, the game that features mods such as Third Age Total War and also has forts and watchtowers.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

is there a decent Empire mod? thats the one I've played least, just a game as India way back in the day. I think I have Napoleon too, whats the best way to do this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I run Napoleon more often, and the only mods I regularly use are General Andy's Musket Sounds (for that click-boom musket sound), and a 2x unit size mod. I tried Darthmod but it adds some garish UI features I don't like and kind of goofs up the AI in large battles (they 'll spend like ten minutes getting their units lined or walking in circles before advancing while you cannon their general). I tried LME (it's some French phrase I forget), and it seemed alright. It seemed like it toned down artillery sniping and didn't do typical modder bullshit on the campaign map like if I don't personally spoonfeed every one of my Chasseurs their daily vichysoisse they won't have the morale to ever fight in a battle. I know Empire is imperfect, but it's kind of got that charm to me. I remember some modder bitching that the campaign will get wacky like the Ottomans gifting Poland to the Iroquois and that's half the charm of Empire to me.