Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
Obviously Griffin, in weaving the rich tapestry that is the Adventure Zone, dropped hints as to who the inventor of math was in previous episodes just to set up for this question, so he was disappointed that none of THB picked up on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Kenny Logins posted:

Chris Hardwick is a 45 year old pretend nerd man professional presenter, who came face to face with 30 under 30 media luminary Griffin McElroy, the latter whom actually makes things that are good instead of just talking about other people's good things. Not sure what you were expecting.

The best part of that is every time @Midnight would cover a positive story about millennial Hardwick would say we or us and no one ever called him out on it. Especially considering his lovely dating shows in 90s definitely lead to the birth of at least a few millennials.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Can anyone tell me who invented math?

I mean, in other words, which specific individual that created/invented the idea of math in the first place??
Pythagoras, who preceded Euclid, is called out as an answer by Clint. It's a pretty good stab at the answer, for an actual mathematician who could explain his work, rather than a scribe. Thales might have also worked.

You can see arithmetic even earlier with the Babylonians and Egyptians having left writings demonstrating that kind of knowledge. Gotta figure out them taxes/tariffs/trades!

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The best part of that is every time @Midnight would cover a positive story about millennial Hardwick would say we or us and no one ever called him out on it. Especially considering his lovely dating shows in 90s definitely lead to the birth of at least a few millennials.
Yeah, by no measure ever is someone born in 1971 considered anything but firmly in Generation X.

Yet, there is no credit Hardwick will not try to claim in his everlasting quest to glom onto the talents or achievements of others.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Colonel Whitey posted:

Think about the alternative: Griffin thinks he knows who the inventor of math is (there is not one fyi) and expected them to get the right answer without any rolls. That is insane

I know there is not an inventor of math.

If Griffin believes that there is an inventor of math then he wouldn't expect the players to roll to get it because it's trivia knowledge, I don't think it's impossible that whatever school the brothers went to gave some kind of weird history of maths impression.

Kenny Logins posted:

Pythagoras, who preceded Euclid, is called out as an answer by Clint. It's a pretty good stab at the answer, for an actual mathematician who could explain his work, rather than a scribe. Thales might have also worked.

You can see arithmetic even earlier with the Babylonians and Egyptians having left writings demonstrating that kind of knowledge. Gotta figure out them taxes/tariffs/trades!

See this is basically what I wonder is if Griffin had a name like Pythagoras or Euclid or someone in his head

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Can anyone tell me who invented math?

I mean, in other words, which specific individual that created/invented the idea of math in the first place??

It was clearly Father Abraha--uhhh I mean Abel? Adam? Because otherwise how else would they know that Cain killed 25% of the current human population, without math

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

It's not, at any point, presented as a joke question

Please find the thickest dictionary you can get your hands on, look up the definition of 'deadpan' as it pertains to comedy, and then smack yourself in the fact with it.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Its almost as if they are professional funnymen and Griffin expected them to just say something funny and roll with it.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
American schools are bad but aside from some dumb creationist poo poo sometimes they aren't giving us outright false info on the reg. Your original question was whether we learn weird math history here and the answer was "no, it's a joke," and your response was "no it wasn't." Why did you even ask?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

I know there is not an inventor of math.

If Griffin believes that there is an inventor of math then he wouldn't expect the players to roll to get it because it's trivia knowledge, I don't think it's impossible that whatever school the brothers went to gave some kind of weird history of maths impression.

See this is basically what I wonder is if Griffin had a name like Pythagoras or Euclid or someone in his head

What Griffin had in mind was that they would use it as an opportunity to make up a funny and silly name that isn't actually real, Jesus Christ how do you still not get this?

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Colonel Whitey posted:

American schools are bad but aside from some dumb creationist poo poo sometimes they aren't giving us outright false info on the reg. Your original question was whether we learn weird math history here and the answer was "no, it's a joke," and your response was "no it wasn't." Why did you even ask?

I guess thats valid

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

There are multiple jokes in the bit. There's the joke where Griffin asks a phony question with no reasonable answer, there's the joke where Justin dramatically argues the case for being able to roll to know the answer, there's the side-joke where Justin implies he knows the real-world answer to the unreasonable question, and then there's the final joke where the correct answer turns out to be ridiculous. These are all funny jokes and at no point did anyone doing the podcast genuinely believe there was an identifiable real-world inventor of math.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Are you guys saying that Griffin just... improvises... some of this stuff??

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
Yeah that's fine but Doug Math really did invent math.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

I guess thats valid

British people on the internet for some reason have this obsession with latching onto absolutely anything they can and turning it into "lol is that actually how you idiots do it in America?" as if it's another planet or something. I applaud you for your perseverance well beyond logic here. Good show old chap.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

poor life choice posted:

Yeah that's fine but Doug Math really did invent math.

Yes, in 1874. Everyone knows this.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Erwin posted:

British people on the internet for some reason have this obsession with latching onto absolutely anything they can and turning it into "lol is that actually how you idiots do it in America?" as if it's another planet or something. I applaud you for your perseverance well beyond logic here. Good show old chap.

Thanks

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Vargs posted:

Yes, in 1874. Everyone knows this.

Before that people just guessed every number

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Erwin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_X6VoFBCE9k

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Before that people just guessed every number

Cant wait for someone to bring the invention of humor over to britain so they can stop guessing every joke

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Control Volume posted:

Cant wait for someone to bring the invention of humor over to britain so they can stop guessing every joke

:pusheen:

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

standard owl posted:

It was clearly Father Abraha--uhhh I mean Abel? Adam? Because otherwise how else would they know that Cain killed 25% of the current human population, without math

thank you

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Control Volume posted:

:discourse:

Also, on the subject of their @midnight appearance: As much as the show was basically tailor-made for Travis to shine, Justin still got the biggest laughs of out me basically every time. Dad, which is Michael Jackson's Bad, and Grandpa's Paradise were honestly my favorite jokes of the night.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
I uh, just watched the polygon Spelunky video and I don't really know what I expected Russ to look like, but it wasn't this.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

SpacePig posted:

:discourse:

Also, on the subject of their @midnight appearance: As much as the show was basically tailor-made for Travis to shine, Justin still got the biggest laughs of out me basically every time. Dad, which is Michael Jackson's Bad, and Grandpa's Paradise were honestly my favorite jokes of the night.

My favorite was from the Goofus and Gallant segment.

"Goofus steps on ants for fun. Gallant...?"

JUSTIN: "Gallant waits for time to take them."

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Well, we're running in circles here so I'm gonna drop it I guess
Did the same guy invent geometry or was that somebody else? :confused:

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

timp posted:

Travis answering with "Let me touch it" is the hardest I've laughed in a long time

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bO4NkfbU7sw It's here

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

timp posted:

GRIFFIN: "Gallant wishes crushing ants still got him as hard as it once did."

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I didn't know anyone else's internal monologue sounded like that

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Good gosh, can someone please isolate Simone's laugh as Russ taunts her for throwing a dog? I need that as my goddamn ringtone, holy poo poo.

Also, I really had no faith in Please Retweet in the beginning, but boy has it become a heck of a thing.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Kenny Logins posted:

GRIFFIN: "Gallant wishes crushing ants still got him as hard as it once did."

Rock hard.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Loose ETA for Zone is Monday according to Griffin. It's a big episode and he lost some editing time with SDCC travel.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Griffin you lazy gently caress

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Yeah man can you imagine the delays when they start recording for Trolls 2?

poo poo will be so off-site schedule it will be unlistenable!

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Yeah man can you imagine the delays when they start recording for Trolls 2?

poo poo will be so off-site schedule it will be unlistenable!

They already recorded for Trolls 2, as they are in it.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Nick once again proving he is a good boy.

https://twitter.com/Babylonian/stat...genumber%3D1762

Squack McQuack
Nov 20, 2013

by Modern Video Games
Chris Hardwick: The new Spider Man looks EPIC! Be sure to subscribe to Loot Crate!

30 Under 30 Media Luminary Griffin McElroy: Actually I make my own jokes that are cool and good.

Chris Hardwick: loving worthless lazy millenials.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I watched the other @Midnight episodes this week and it was kinda fun seeing them give less and less lip service to the story of the decision being mutual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Man that latest munch squad, Applebees is trying to get in the domain of Sheetz? They will fail, much like Wawa in making good food that seemingly seems like trash.