Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

That's what we call a joke, my friend. The robot asked a silly question and it's funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
It's Doug Maths, every third grader in the country knows that.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Judge Schnoopy posted:

It's Doug Maths, every third grader in the country knows that.

Unless you're not from the UK, then it's his half-brother, Doug Math.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

I'm relistening through the adventure zone and at the hodgepodge section one of the question is "who invented Math", is this something from the american school system that theres like some guy who invented maths?

Somebody had to invent it.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Waffleman_ posted:

That's what we call a joke, my friend. The robot asked a silly question and it's funny.

But thats not how it's initially presented? like Trav has his rant about how it's not going to be the same as the IRL person (and during that he says he knows who it is in the real world) and the history skill but it's not initially a joke, just a random question

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

But thats not how it's initially presented? like Trav has his rant about how it's not going to be the same as the IRL person (and during that he says he knows who it is in the real world) and the history skill but it's not initially a joke, just a random question

This isn't actually an advice podcast. It's all jokes.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!

Serf posted:

MBMBAM is coming to Atlanta hell yeah.

Oh man, I got all excited because I'm moving to Atlanta next month and finally the McElroys would be in a city that I'm in, but it's a night that I can't make it.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Dr. Stab posted:

This isn't actually an advice podcast. It's all jokes.

We're talking about TAZ not MBMBAM

Serf
May 5, 2011

Zeeman posted:

Oh man, I got all excited because I'm moving to Atlanta next month and finally the McElroys would be in a city that I'm in, but it's a night that I can't make it.

I actually can't find the dates. Where are they posted?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
A real answer might have been "Greeks" and not an individual name. But Greeks don't exist in Faerun so Travis was justifiably confused.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Can anyone tell me who invented math?

I mean, in other words, which specific individual that created/invented the idea of math in the first place??

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Can anyone tell me who invented math?

I mean, in other words, which specific individual that created/invented the idea of math in the first place??

Euclid, next question.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Serf posted:

I actually can't find the dates. Where are they posted?

Somebody on the Facebook group put them up:

Sept 8, Brooklyn, NY - Kings Theatre (MBMBAM)
Sept 9, Washington, DC - Lisner Auditorium (MBMBAM)
Sept 10, Boston, MA - Wilbur Theater (MBMBAM)
Oct 20, Atlanta, GA - Cobb Energy Performing Arts Center (MBMBAM)
Oct 21, Nashville, TN - Andrew Jackson Hall (MBMBAM)
Oct 22, Nashville, TN - Andrew Jackson Hall (TAZ)
Nov 17, Chicago, IL - Chicago Theatre (MBMBAM)
Nov 18, Minneapolis, MN - Orpheum Theatre (MBMBAM)
Nov 19, Milwaukee, WI - Riverside Theater (MBMBAM)
Dec 8, Tacoma, WA - Pantages Theater (TAZ)
Dec 9-10, Seattle, WA - Podcon! (MBMBAM, Sawbones announced so far) (This one has tickets to go to the actual con OR a remote attendance option, where you can watch the recorded podcasts after the fact if you can't make it in person)

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

The joke is that it's an unanswerable question. It's not a difficult joke guys.

And it was Justin, not Travis.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

As I recall, one of the boys said math at the same time as another one said history, so Hodgepodge asked a Math History question. Anyway, to answer your question, yes. Here in America we are absolutely taught that Mathematics was invented by a man named Douglas Jameson Math.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

What does a history skill normally do in non-trivia based D&D anyway?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Zeeman posted:

Normally it would come up in an investigation sequence, or else less creatively/more traditionally it could give more background info on a person/place/thing as they are encountered in the field.

It can be useful to make sure PCs have a shot at knowing things that players can't/don't, or to make sense of why the PC legitimately knows something a player does "out of character".

Serf
May 5, 2011

Zeeman posted:

You roll it to learn stuff about the world. The GM might have a list of facts and different things you learn at different DCs.

In more progressive systems, a "History roll" would let the player establish facts about the world instead.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

It can help improve rolls if you're trying to glean information about artifacts, locations, people or groups of interest, etc

e:f,b

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Zeeman posted:

History.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

Zeeman posted:

Somebody on the Facebook group put them up:

Nov 17, Chicago, IL - Chicago Theatre (MBMBAM)

It's nuts to me that they're playing the biggest downtown venue in Chicago. For reference, that's where Chris Rock and Harry Styles are performing on their current tours.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Who What Now posted:

The joke is that it's an unanswerable question. It's not a difficult joke guys.

And it was Justin, not Travis.

It's not, at any point, presented as a joke question

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

It's not, at any point, presented as a joke question

Ok, well, I don't have a rebuttal to your inability to know what a joke is, I guess.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Please relisten to this -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_2HbLCBfhw&t=244s

No-one reacts like it's a dumb or weird question, Justin causes random goofs to come off it but no-one reacts like the question itself is a bit or a goof

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Please relisten to this -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_2HbLCBfhw&t=244s

No-one reacts like it's a dumb or weird question, Justin causes random goofs to come off it but no-one reacts like the question itself is a bit or a goof
The first part of the joke/goof is that because 2 people said something at once, it spat out a weird category, with an extremely broad question that might not be actually answerable.

The payout of the goof is that the answer to the question was extremely stupid, especially after Justin got all fussed up about actually using an in-character skill check for once.

The question itself is utterly immaterial. It could have been anything and the same formula could have easily prevailed. I really liked it.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Exactly what response are you looking for here?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
James Bond invented Maths, next question.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Beep boop what is a joke? :spergin:

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
The correct answer is loving Doug Math, that should make it crystal clear that it was a joke regardless of anybody's response to the question

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

If it was a joke then Justins comment about knowing the answer griffin is looking for doesn't make sense, I know it's a comedy podcast but that part isn't a joke, y'all don't seem to get jokes

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Colonel Whitey posted:

The correct answer is loving Doug Math, that should make it crystal clear that it was a joke regardless of anybody's response to the question

That part happens because of Justins rant

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
i think perhaps, the one who does not getting jokes, is you!??

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

If it was a joke then Justins comment about knowing the answer griffin is looking for doesn't make sense, I know it's a comedy podcast but that part isn't a joke, y'all don't seem to get jokes

You're suggesting that Griffin was asking a serious question about he history of this world that none of the players could possibly have known, and Doug Math just happened to be the correct answer? Is that what you're saying?

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

That part happens because of Justins rant

So you think that Griffin had the Real Inventor Of Math in mind until Justin went on his rant? What? The entire category was made up on the spot, how could you possibly think that Griffin intended that whole part as anything but a joke?

kmzh
Feb 21, 2011

"I of course know the real answer, which I could totally say, but won't, because reasons" is basically the equivalent of what Justin said. If you think he was being serious there, then... oof.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Colonel Whitey posted:

So you think that Griffin had the Real Inventor Of Math in mind until Justin went on his rant? What? The entire category was made up on the spot, how could you possibly think that Griffin intended that whole part as anything but a joke?

because his reaction to the ask for history roll is like someone expecting an answer not someone knowing they've asked an impossible question. Also because Justin seems to think he knows what griffin is looking for

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Well, we're running in circles here so I'm gonna drop it I guess

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

because his reaction to the ask for history roll is like someone expecting an answer not someone knowing they've asked an impossible question. Also because Justin seems to think he knows what griffin is looking for

He is expecting an answer, just not any one in particular. Justin (and you) thought Griffin was going to give him the answer for his good roll, Griffin wanted justin to use his good roll to come up with a good (read: funny) answer.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Think about the alternative: Griffin thinks he knows who the inventor of math is (there is not one fyi) and expected them to get the right answer without any rolls. That is insane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

y'all don't seem to get jokes