Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

KakerMix posted:

At least eat cheese instead, milk is a piss-poor source of calcium and is pretty much bad at everything besides making cheese.

It's pretty good at making calves into cows. People, too. Size-wise, I mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Don't overload on calcium, it's bad for your prostate. You can get plenty of calcium just from eating lots of vegetables. Make sure your vitamin D intake is good enough (spend time in the sun or else eat vitamin D) to 'fix' your dietary calcium, don't get too much vitamin A (which harms bones), and of course as mentioned, build bone density by picking up heavy objects regularly.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So it sounds like you guys really love Wells Fargo. :v:

I made some very bad financial moves over the past year (mostly due to sadbrains causing my income to go to zilch for a couple of months), so my options are limited to those will accept people on ChexSystems until I clear that up. I had moved to BBVA Compass several months ago, but despite having savings, an overdraft line of credit, and having a decent amount of money in the bank (in both checking and savings), they were regularly returning ACH transactions. The little "hey we returned a payment" card they'd mail even showed I had more than enough in the account to cover the transaction. :argh: I get locked out of their drat online baking several times a week too; nobody can ever tell me why, they don't see login failures, and the error I get is "system of record error" when I try to reset the password myself (so I guess something on a DB somewhere?).

I had opened a WF second chance account last week, and my direct deposit shows up early in the day like it should with every bank, but I was having second thoughts due to their history (they're not pushy at all about secondary products these days, though). Plus there's some limits on their second chance stuff such as $300 in ATM transactions per day, $500 in debit transactions per day (normally not an issue, unless I want to go hog wild and buy a new TV, pay for an expensive car repair, or buy a set of tires). Their big plus is 24/7 customer service; BBVA doesn't even have a way to report a lost/stolen debit card on the phone after hours. It's also stupid easy to avoid monthly fees with WF (use your debit card 10 times a month, or have direct deposit activity of at least $500). WF's mobile app also doesn't seem to work with fingerprint authentication on my phone, which is annoying (since I use a long, mixed case, alphanumberic, with symbols, password). I did like that they let you customize debit cards, that was kinda cool. BBVA did too, but "no political messages"; a picture I had taken of a rainbow flag was rejected for being political (whereas a rainbow flag is one of the offerings from WF).

Got Capital One 360 and Capital One Savings accounts opened today. I'm going to wait until I get rent paid to leave WF, don't want any delays in direct deposit being switched (again) to cause issues. Didn't even realize CapOne checking accounts were interest bearing, savings rates look downright great for a brick & mortar bank too.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jul 26, 2017

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

For what it's worth, I've been a WF customer since 1991 and have never had a single issue of any kind in that time. I pay no fees unless I use someone else's ATM. And those withdrawal limits are fairly typical of retail checking accounts in general, if I want to pull more than $300 out of my account or something I pretty much need to do it at a live teller and/or authorize a transaction over the phone. I don't think I have the same limit on debit transactions though.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I'm fine with the ATM limit, it's the $500 purchase limit that's annoying.

I don't buy stuff that expensive often, but it'd be really annoying having to go to the branch in person to get the cash for, say, paying someone for a clutch job (since I'm too cheap to order checks.. and not many people take them anymore anyway).

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

To be honest when I'm buying something that expensive, I prefer to put it on a cashback credit card and then immediately pay off the CC balance.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Leperflesh posted:

To be honest when I'm buying something that expensive, I prefer to put it on a cashback credit card and then immediately pay off the CC balance.

It's definitely a good way to go, but I'm guessing that no CC is going to touch STR with a ten foot pole for at least the next year or two.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Oh yeah for sure, I only mentioned it because I am not actually sure if there is a cap on my debit card.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.
I hate my bank.

The Internet Banking app is asking a security question I don't remember.

To reset it I have to phone in. When I call them they ask more questions — that I can't answer without access to the account.

"on the 11th of July you made a transaction, can you tell us who it was to?"
"can you tell us the date you opened the account?"

I've had this account for about 22 years. Like, how the gently caress am I supposed to know?

"i'm sorry, we can't authenticate you"

I swear i'm having a massive sense of humor failure tonight. Bloody loving Kafka.

meltie fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jul 27, 2017

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

scuz posted:

Thanks for the well-wishes on the ankle. I'm going in for surgery on Friday! Baby's first surgery. How exciting.

Yeah good luck man, the surgery is no biggie it's recovery that's gonna suck. Good on you for planning on getting back on the horse tho, my wife loved it but after seeing a bunch of her friends go down it spooked her and she decided to move on. I was glad she did to be honest.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Stalker is indeed transgender.

How do I know? Well she just showed up on the local news being interviewed about Trump's transgen ban. Very odd to see her on the news without any real warning. But at least I now have a name and a lovely pic of my tv to give to the police if it escalates.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Yo it doesn't matter.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cage posted:

Yo it doesn't matter.

Sorry, I meant that to come off as a "I was wrong and am an idiot" sort of post since I was an rear end about it previously.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Rhyno's tally for the Do you live in Indiana Quiz:
Floor Sex   ✔
Burning his house down   ✔
Likes EVO X's   ✔
Saw a boobs and posted about the boobs   ✔
Posted an odd amount about the boobs   ✔
Shops for small cuban man hooded muscleshirts at Marshalls or somewhere   ✔
Is sort of curious about all sorts of things but doesn't live in a progressive enough state to take advantage of his extra-betrothial lust    ✔

This post is meant completely in the spirit of AI camaraderie and enjoying hearing stories about your crazy life, son. Keep up the good work.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

Rhyno posted:

How do I know? Well she just showed up on the local news being interviewed about Trump's transgen ban.

This is one of the few things Trump's done I'm not finding the ability to get angry about. I'm cool with not being able to be drafted to die in our next pointless quagmire in the Middle East or elsewhere.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Sinestro posted:

This is one of the few things Trump's done I'm not finding the ability to get angry about. I'm cool with not being able to be drafted to die in our next pointless quagmire in the Middle East or elsewhere.

Yeah but you'd still be just as guilty of doing the classic 'gently caress you got mine' thing that the conservative baby boomers subscribe to that elected the guy in the first place. Gotta feel like a hollow win, right?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

A hollow win would be humanity nuking itself into extinction ok pal

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I have a feeling in Trump's America where fairness and decency reigns, the draft will have a giant asterisk overturning that issue. Sorry about your impending service invading North Korea, Iran, the non-homicidal maniacal portions of the Phillipines, Putin's biggest political enemy's condo in Paris, Al Udeid Air Base, California, and mainland China via beachhead landings at the same time.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

A hollow win would be humanity nuking itself into extinction ok pal

A fat juicy win would be most of the millenials getting murdered in the aforementioned beach landings, Gen X devising a way to kill baby boomers using ipad apps, and then eternal peace, love, harmony and prosperity would ensue so let's just quit this nuking talk.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Ether Frenzy posted:

I have a feeling in Trump's America where fairness and decency reigns, the draft will have a giant asterisk overturning that issue. Sorry about your impending service invading North Korea, Iran, the non-homicidal maniacal portions of the Phillipines, Putin's biggest political enemy's condo in Paris, Al Udeid Air Base, California, and mainland China via beachhead landings at the same time.

A fat juicy win would be most of the millenials getting murdered in the aforementioned beach landings, Gen X devising a way to kill baby boomers using ipad apps, and then eternal peace, love, harmony and prosperity would ensue so let's just quit this nuking talk.

Same but switch around Gen X and ~millenials~ and you've got yourself a deal

pops

edit
Wait when do gen-xers stop and millenials begin?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

KakerMix posted:

Same but switch around Gen X and ~millenials~ and you've got yourself a deal

pops

edit
Wait when do gen-xers stop and millenials begin?

1980 is debatable. 1979 is def genx and 1981 is def millenial

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
The distinction happens wherever the winning side determines.

For me it begins with the start of the vietnam war and finishes around the end of the nixon administration, that is what constitutes Gen X due to the cultural upheaval that was present through that era, socially, politically, globally via the proxy wars for communism vs Good or whatever the post-WWII american policy doctrine actually was, and then there's the whatever generation for 3-4 years who can go either way - Star Wars, did you see it in a theater? This is important to whether you're X or not but not a delineation by any means. However, regardless of your personal beliefs and mores, if you were born after Ms. Pac Man came out, you are not Gen X.

Then there's millenials, who grew up and became 'of age' around the turn of the century. They aren't bad people, but Tusen Takk claims that group and he'd make a great front wave on any beachhead landing because the enemy would never be able to see him once he hit that white sandy beach.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

The best definition is did you have a razr when you were 25 or younger and if the answer is yes then you were either a dork or a millennial

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
The 'millenial' label stretches so drat far though, my wife and I were born in the early 80s and played outside, phones with cords and know what it was like to use card catalogs and phonebooks. That we're lumped in with people that didn't do that sort of stuff like we did feels like it's incorrect.
Every generation thinks they have it right and the ones before it were old fashioned and the ones after it are doing it all wrong so whatever, not like it's going to suddenly change this time.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Ether Frenzy posted:

The distinction happens wherever the winning side determines.

It doesn't, though. These things are created by marketers to give easy names to demographics so they can target their ads. We all are the losing side.

KakerMix posted:

The 'millenial' label stretches so drat far though, my wife and I were born in the early 80s and played outside, phones with cords and know what it was like to use card catalogs and phonebooks. That we're lumped in with people that didn't do that sort of stuff like we did feels like it's incorrect.
Every generation thinks they have it right and the ones before it were old fashioned and the ones after it are doing it all wrong so whatever, not like it's going to suddenly change this time.

I'd say that the millenial label applies to people who were right in the middle of that change. A lot has happened all at once, both in technology and society as a whole, while we were growing up. My brother and I (early 90s and late 80s, respectively) both did all those things you mentioned, but I think we were some of the last ones. And we're definitely millenials, since we came of age around the millenium. I think the end of the millenial advertising bracket is the mid 90s? "Kids these days" aren't millenials, really, and I'm not sure what their generation will be called by advertisers.

Raluek fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jul 27, 2017

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Well, it's convenient that you weirdly young people are so diverse in your fitness levels for hard labor ranges of valuable and desired experience and will be such a full group for populating society's new group of manual laborers Advanced Logistic Engineers following the upcoming power struggle between the warring generational classes.

In the aforementioned 'nuking' scenario, you older Mill's will be definitely advantaged by having lived in the analogue era and pre-everything-being digital and in the cloud. Imagine trying to look up "how to make a electrical generator work" if you don't know how the dewey decimal system worked.

This is for laughs and we're all hosed unless you are making 2-5 million a year. The really damaging part of society, generations be damned is all these $250k a year scrublords thinking they're rich.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
I've already lost track of time and do the thing where you go 'heh yeah us young people' and then realize that the kid you are talking to was born in 2000.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
It happens quick my dude. I laughed at the oldass 42ish dads of my friends, sitting around drinking Busch Light and listening to the Allman Brothers telling us all to enjoy youth while it's there like 'whatever, gramps'. It was yesterday. in 1990.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Ether Frenzy posted:

It happens quick my dude. I laughed at the oldass 42ish dads of my friends, sitting around drinking Busch Light and listening to the Allman Brothers telling us all to enjoy youth while it's there like 'whatever, gramps'. It was yesterday. in 1990.

the 90s were five years ago, forever!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Ether Frenzy posted:

HEH whatever old man
*kick flips can of SURGE and surfs away on SNICK couch listening to Incubus*

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There's a "gen y" in between gen x and millenials. I'm a tail end of the gen x ers, and gen y are the people who were teens in the 90s and reached adulthood by 2000-ish. Millenials are the ones who came of age in the new millenium, so they're in their late teens to mid 20s now.

Sinestro posted:

It's another major public policy of singling out and discriminating against transgendered people. Even if you had absolutely no desire to serve in the military, it's bad because it perpetuates and reinforces the idea that there's something wrong with transgendered people, who need special expensive treatment and can't fit in and don't belong.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

In car news, got my V70R out of the dent shop and it is straight as an arrow, everywhere. They did a fantastic job. Then it started raining all night so no pics for you.

Then I bought 650cc injectors and an oversized MAF to go with my new tune. Gonna be sick.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Leperflesh posted:

There's a "gen y" in between gen x and millenials. I'm a tail end of the gen x ers, and gen y are the people who were teens in the 90s and reached adulthood by 2000-ish. Millenials are the ones who came of age in the new millenium, so they're in their late teens to mid 20s now.

This is false. Millenials are rebranded gen-y; afaik there is no consistent name for what comes after.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Gen Y was 1981-on so yeah, Millenial is just another dumb name for that generation.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
the generational distinction chat is really dumb and essentially boils down to a bunch of millenials coming up with excuses for why they're not millenials because the word has aquired some negative connotations for whatever reason and also so they can look down on people who definitely are millenials

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

fridge corn posted:

the generational distinction chat is really dumb and essentially boils down to a bunch of millenials coming up with excuses for why they're not millenials because the word has aquired some negative connotations for whatever reason and also so they can look down on people who definitely are millenials

No, it's more that we're discussing what terms a bunch of marketers came up with (as pointed out earlier) to define huge groups of varied people while reminiscing about the youth we had.

- or -

stfu millenial

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Sinestro posted:

Yeah, less cool with the implication that any and all of the active military members who are transgender have relaxed their caution in the last year might end up with a dishonorable discharge that'll ruin their lives for the near future because our President is a orange manchild.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jul 27, 2017

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Magnus Praeda posted:

It's definitely a good way to go, but I'm guessing that no CC is going to touch STR with a ten foot pole for at least the next year or two.

Pretty much. My credit got absolutely destroyed late last year into about April, and I wound up selling a lot of stuff and ignoring everything else so long as I was able to pay rent and keep the lights on. Still have one thing in pawn (my camera :smith: ). I'm going up there Friday to renew the loan, but plan to pick it up next weekend.

I still have 2 credit cards - one major (Cap One Visa) that's in good standing, one store (Kohl's) that's delinquent, but with payment arrangements made to bring it back into good standing. 2 charge offs recently, an angry credit union (they're my #1 priority, they're most likely to sue, and they're why I'm on Chexsystems + EWS), and about $1300 in back tolls.

CU is owed about $750, $1300 in tolls before I can renew my car registration again (end of December), about $2000 in charged off cards. It was a sinking ship, but that ship was a canoe, so the overall damage could have been a lot worse. My student loans never went into default, I was never in danger of losing my home, and my power never got shut off. Those charge offs are what will really hurt me for a few years, but my Capital One CC has been open for several years, which will help a bit. I think adding a secured card into the mix will help bring my score back up again. It was in the high 600s this time last year, high 400s now.

I did have the CU made a pretty massive gently caress up on their end (bounced my rent check when I had overdraft protection, with plenty available on the overdraft line of credit... and my paycheck was credited immediately after - was watching online banking when it happened), but they owned up to it, and even paid the returned check fees from my landlord, plus sent me a letter to give to my apartment manager admitting the gently caress up. The only reason I was unhappy with them up until then is they had a $10/mo fee, with only one way to waive it (average daily balance of $10k+)..

It could have been a shitload worse; this is all stuff I can fix by the end of the year. One thing hanging in the balance is the car though - it's paid off, but needs, at the least, a new condenser, compressor, and lines, and I'm at 180k on the original clutch, so there's a decent chance I'll be forking out for a clutch at some point too. I think when clutch day comes, it'll get parked and I'll find a friend to hit an auction to look for a late model CVPI or late model ex-cop Malibu (a former goon has offered me a 6th gen 3.9L/4T65-E former cop Malibu for $1k with relatively low miles, but i'd have to find a way to get it here from NV).

Leperflesh posted:

Oh yeah for sure, I only mentioned it because I am not actually sure if there is a cap on my debit card.

So the Capital One debit card has a $5,000 daily spending limit. :stonkhat:

I'm .... not comfortable with it being that high, but if I'm going to have that much in my bank account, I'm going to keep most of it in savings, and only move what I need every week into checking. And obviously I'll be opting the debit card out of any kind of overdraft options - I only want that poo poo on ACH and check transactions.

Their branch is literally next door to the Wells Fargo branch I opened my account at too. It's still a 10 minute drive into another city (possibly county?), but that's not too bad considering I'm kinda on the outskirts of town.

meltie posted:

I hate my bank.

The Internet Banking app is asking a security question I don't remember.

To reset it I have to phone in. When I call them they ask more questions — that I can't answer without access to the account.

"on the 11th of July you made a transaction, can you tell us who it was to?"
"can you tell us the date you opened the account?"

I've had this account for about 22 years. Like, how the gently caress am I supposed to know?

"i'm sorry, we can't authenticate you"

I went through that a few days ago.

Sometimes the mobile banking app still lets me login with fingerprint even when the account is "locked", but they kept saying the "last deposit" I was giving them didn't match their records (it was my loving paycheck and I had the emailed paystub in front of me, and was logged into the mobile app confirming it matched!)

I was locked out again this morning. Called in, got it unlocked... logged in again 5 minutes later, locked AGAIN, with the same loving "SYSTEM OF RECORD ERROR UNABLE TO RESET PASSWORD CALL CUSTOMER SERVICE . Called back again, they asked "why haven't you told us about this error before?". That moment when you ask the CSR to look up how many times I've called in 3 months about this.... they stopped counting at 50. Then they try to say "well you never mentioned you were getting an error". YES. I. loving. DID. EVERY. loving. TIME.

After it was unlocked, grabbed a CSV to import into Quickbooks, went to the branch, closed the account. gently caress BBVA, and gently caress their US CSRs. The overseas ones are much more helpful/less condescending (I never thought I'd say that, usually overseas CSRs make me want to eat a bullet).

Sinestro posted:

I just got old instead.

I don't think they draft 39 year olds with diabetes, high blood pressure, and a history of depression and anxiety.. right? right? :ohdear:

KakerMix posted:

realize that the kid you are talking to was born in 2000.

Was on the phone with a friend I grew up with last week. His son was 3 or 4 when they left Dallas.

"He's talking about souping up our Explorer and putting a badass stereo in it. I'm hosed, he's definitely my son."

His kid just turned 17. When said friend was 17, he had an 88 Prelude with 2 12s in a bandpass box. Pretty sure a good chunk of my hearing loss is his fault. :colbert:

I... might have a spare head unit somewhere. With RCA outs. And I know it'll fit. I could be ultra evil and send one of my old amps.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, less cool with the implication that any and all of the active military members who are transgender have relaxed their caution in the last year might end up with a dishonorable discharge that'll ruin their lives for the near future because our President is a orange manchild.

:cry: I joined the largest, meanest, most unified military group in history and they're mean, terrible, nasty people who don't understand my individual personal identity :cry:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Well, he did say this

https://mobile.twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/742771576039460864?lang=en

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

:cry: I joined the largest, meanest, most unified military group in history and they're mean, terrible, nasty people who don't understand my individual personal identity :cry:

The hottest of takes.

• Locked thread