Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Renegret posted:

They needed a token female not fanservice character.

They sort of countered that notion with Revenant Wings by emphasizing her dancer class aspects more by giving her the belly shirt and sarong. She went from one of the most dressed Female FF characters to one of the least in the span of one sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Norns posted:

Nice merton

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I loving hated that scene. It started as a poignant scene where Ashe was coming to grips with her own personal loss and journey, and Vaan's like, "That's cool. You know this is all about me, right? Let me talk about me for this entire cutscene."

Hate it all you want but it was pretty darn important. Vaan figures out right then and there that vengeance isn't worth it and decides that he's going to pick his own paths to walk going forward.

Whiny McShortskirt, on the other hand, keeps raging on, making her an ideal target for individuals looking for someone to manipulate by taking advantage of a seemingly unquenchable thirst for revenge.

I don't disagree that Vaan shouldn't have been the leading man, but his presence in the story is undeniably meaningful.

I feel bad for Penelo. You get a small glimmer of "hey maybe she can show Larsa what is going on and convince him to help fix things" but it's snuffed out by "Nah I got this, I want peace and fair treatment for everyone, you just hang out for a while and eventually you'll be reunited with your friends and spend the rest of the game warming the bench until I need that thing I gave you k thx"

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
FFXII is cool and good, 3rd only to FFT and FF7 as my favorite in the series

FFX-2 is obvious garbage which means you get credibility points for suggesting it's secretly good

That's my opinion about Finals Fantasy thanks and god bless

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's a bad one but cheers

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Thank you for your Final Fantasy opinions.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
Hey what's going on with that FF video from a long time ago that looked like really good graphics Middle East Final Fantasy, or something?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Agni's Philosophy was just a tech demo, as far as anybody knows. It could have been something else but it was only ever billed as a tech demo.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

vaan and penelo are the best characters in ff12

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

guts and bolts posted:

FFXII is cool and good, 3rd only to FFT and FF7 as my favorite in the series

FFX-2 is obvious garbage which means you get credibility points for suggesting it's secretly good

That's my opinion about Finals Fantasy thanks and god bless

These opinions are rather lovely. Please change them.

Endorph posted:

vaan and penelo are the best characters in ff12

That's not saying much, lol.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the only good final fantasies are x-2 and 13-3

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

How much difference does a single Battle Lore make? Just got Addramalech and have the choice between giving it to my Shikari/Foebreaker for Battle Lore/Shades of Black or my Uhlan/Time Mage for Battle Lore/Cura/Raise. I'm leaning towards the latter but if the Shikari is gonna get ninja swords later and do all the damage forever how much of an impact will it make if I don't give it to them?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Pretty sure a battle lore square is just +1 strength. So like definitely chose the useful abilities over it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Battle Lore is just a direct +1 Strength, and Magick Lore is +1 Magick Power.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Harrow posted:

I wish there had been a bangaa, nu mou, or moogle party member. I guess they might have thought a moogle would be too "silly" for the super-serious late game cutscenes, I dunno. Ivalice moogles are the best, though.

Same but Seeq.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Playable Vieras, with the next Hildibrand quest being the people of Eorzea boycotting the Gold Saucer for cultural appropriation and bankrupting the Manderville Clan.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Also you can only be a Viera if you pay $25. Congrats Squeenix I just made you like a cool billion bucks.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Controversial opinion: all mainline FFs are good. Most of the spinoffs / sequels are good too.

Except Dirge of Cerberus and After Years.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think I've enjoyed every FF I've played except 3 DS and Type-0 which is probably ok but I got it on sale and only played the first hour (and I kind of just wanted the XV demo)

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Harrow posted:

Not Vossler. His current story in the game is too good to do away with just to make him a party member.

Maybe that one hairy chest dude from the other empire then, I like him. I just can't get over the feeling that Vaan and Penelo were tacked on and shouldn't be there.

Norns posted:

Nice meltdown

I hate because I love

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The only mainline ff I have finished (many I have reached the final stretch but quit) are 9, 10, 13 via cheat engine, LR, and the FF14 2.0 to Heavensward.

I reached the final disk of 7, 8, halfway into the World of Ruin, and the rest I read an LP or youtubed.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Another context to the bridge scene is that Vaan is offering the commoner's perspective to Ashe based on the personal loss of his brother in war. Ashe lost Rasler and Vaan lost Reks. They're both equals in loss which bridges the gap between the high born and the low born.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
I am currently at the point of nearing the end. I currently have Reddas in my group, so I figure this is a perfect point to stop the story and start hunting the optional Espers.

Are there safe levels to start tackling these guys? I have my "hunt" team that is my left over squad that has been focusing mainly on the hunts and they are 35-37, my main murder squad is at 40.

Looks like I may have some time to go for a few of them as they are all above 40 level wise.

hagie fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jul 26, 2017

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Maybe that one hairy chest dude from the other empire then, I like him. I just can't get over the feeling that Vaan and Penelo were tacked on and shouldn't be there.

I hate because I love

Nah, Vaan is there because a lot of FF12 is about the small people, and it's no accident that Vaan is the player avatar in cities. He provides the common person's perspective and without that Ashe wouldn't be able to let things go for the bigger picture.

Penelo just has pretty much everything left on the cutting room floor because this is a post Spirits Within final fantasy and development was rough af

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Golden Goat posted:

Took me a bit to realise that these

are these adorable dudes

So how do you get cute Eeyore bunny people out of awful fish spawn

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

im the time mage suggesting that he has a dick that drags on the floor

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Is it a really bad thing to have my monk/blm use a pole instead of a staff? It doesn't seem like a huge hit to spell power, like 4-5 points.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Tae posted:

The only mainline ff I have finished (many I have reached the final stretch but quit) are 9, 10, 13 via cheat engine, LR, and the FF14 2.0 to Heavensward.

I reached the final disk of 7, 8, halfway into the World of Ruin, and the rest I read an LP or youtubed.

You've seen the best of 7 and 8 already and can count those as 'beaten'

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Emron posted:

Is it a really bad thing to have my monk/blm use a pole instead of a staff? It doesn't seem like a huge hit to spell power, like 4-5 points.

I mean they're both long wooden sticks so it's probably fine.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Emron posted:

Staves also boost the power of their corresponding element by a lot so you usually want to take advantage of that.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Emron posted:

Staffs major benefit is not spell power but that almost all of them are elemental, meaning +50% effectiveness for that element.

Fire staff, water staff, etc.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Emron posted:

It matters when you're using elemental spells. If you're doing elemental damage, you should wield a corresponding staff to boost its power by 50%. Flame Staff boosts fire, Storm Staff boosts lightning, Glacial Staff boosts ice, and Cherry Staff boosts wind. The best staff, Staff of the Magi, boosts ice, wind, and holy.

If you're using non-elemental spells like Bio or something, you might as well use a pole.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Harrow posted:

It matters when you're using elemental spells. If you're doing elemental damage, you should wield a corresponding staff to boost its power by 50%. Flame Staff boosts fire, Storm Staff boosts lightning, Glacial Staff boosts ice, and Cherry Staff boosts wind. The best staff, Staff of the Magi, boosts ice, wind, and holy.

If you're using non-elemental spells like Bio or something, you might as well use a pole.

[In the most annoying voice possible] But I don't WANNA switch weapons every fight

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Emron posted:

as everyone is saying, staff is for casting. pole iirc is for punching things but it targets magic defense instead of physical defense

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

gigglefeimer posted:

Yes, because when I think of FFX-2, I think of Yuna slaughtering people. And why didn't Yuna murder Leblanc at the start of the game in Luca. That would have made things so much easier. BIG plothole, Square.

You've been slaughtering goons since you get control in X-2. In fact, once you break into their headquarters illegally, you then proceed to slaughter even more goons with ease, thus proving the whole disguises thing was a farce and just a really clumsy bit of gameplay.

In a much better game with a much better story, I just beat FFVI.

In brief, it's a really good game. It picks up a whole lot in the World of Ruin which is when I definitely started to feel immersed in what was going on.

I just want to make a couple specifics notes about the ending while they are fresh in my mind.

I used to think Kefka's theme was pretty laughable . Everyone talks up Kefka but compare his theme to, say, Sephiroth's. "Those Chosen by the Planet" is much more intimidating. However I found a new appreciation for the song because of when it kicks in at the end before the boss. It's silly carnival music but it's playing for a demented maniac whose carnival is a world of death and despair. Having him laugh over it and start to wreck everything makes the theme oddly chilling.

Speaking of comparison to Sephiroth, I've heard that Sephiroth's final boss "rips off" Kefka. I can only imagine this is due to the angel thing but I doubt Kefka invented that. Otherwise, the bosses are entirely different. In fact, I consider the Kefka final boss an artistic triumph that far surpasses Sephiroth's two forms. I loved the whole "ascension" thing, fighting all these twisted forms witle the music changes tempo. I think the third phase is my favorite, although that's where I lost my first attempt because Strago died right as the last boss lost and they shoved Terra in there instead and she had no equipment or anything. I didn't know that would happen.

I will say this, though. While the theme music for Kefka's Tower was alright, the other tower theme is way better IMO.

It was quite a ride.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Emron posted:

[In the most annoying voice possible] But I don't WANNA switch weapons every fight

:same:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

NikkolasKing posted:

Otherwise, the bosses are entirely different.

that's because you played the hack version. in vanilla ff6/ff7, their movesets are actually pretty similar--drop everyone to 1hp with a spell that looks like life, single-target attack that inflicts lots of status effects, and various "forbidden"-tier magic--barring, y'know, supernova.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

as everyone is saying, staff is for casting. pole iirc is for punching things but it targets magic defense instead of physical defense

I guess that explains why after spending an in-game minute using shear on Zalera my monk Vaan was doing absurd damage to him per hit.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Whiny McShortskirt

ashe is cool you doofer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Queen Hotpants Magoo