Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
I think it's pretty funny how upset some people are getting over a parody of something popular

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

My Lovely Horse posted:

I feel like it's completely legit to get upset about treating a piece of art with a serious message as nothing more that an advertising basis for your throwaway trend.
I felt the same way when someone made fun of the Hunger Games.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The Emoji Tale is like something you would see in an old timey Photoshop Phriday, so it feels weird to get offended by it. It's not even making fun of the original, it's just basic juxtaposition.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

bunnyofdoom posted:

It's no Jolly Rancher prison rape tweet.

Could you explain? No way am I searching this at work.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

SpacePig posted:

Could you explain? No way am I searching this at work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NflTOYuVJ0E

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/historyinflicks/status/825800196428800000/photo/1

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

no art is sacred lmao

e: tbh that emoji picture is making me laugh so much because of the dopey face on it

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Iron Crowned posted:

This sounds about right. Of course that tweet just screams "this was decided by someone unfamiliar with the source material."

Or "this was decided by someone familiar with the source material who knew it will spark just enough outrage that people talk about it but don't boycott the movie."

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

sweeperbravo posted:

Non-food job, but at my old job around the holidays everyone got sick and our manager decided no one could take off unless they had a medical note from a doctor, like when you're a kid that needs to miss school.
You needed medical certificates to take sick days from school? They didn't just take your parents' word for it that you were too sick to attend?

And you think it's odd that an employer would require a medical certificate for a sick day? Isn't that pretty standard?

My Lovely Horse posted:

I feel like it's completely legit to get upset about treating a piece of art with a serious message as nothing more that an advertising basis for your throwaway trend.
It's a TV show. It's already a commercial product.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Most grown-up jobs don't require a doctor's note unless you've missed a meaningful amount of time. For up to 5 days I self-certify, have a quick chat with my manager, and we all move on with our lives.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Tiggum posted:

You needed medical certificates to take sick days from school? They didn't just take your parents' word for it that you were too sick to attend?

And you think it's odd that an employer would require a medical certificate for a sick day? Isn't that pretty standard?

Your whole life has been backward. Are you Benjamin Button?

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Tiggum posted:

Who goes to the doctor every time they're sick? If I had the wherewithal to make an urgent (same-day) appointment, drive to the doctor's office, sit around breathing germs on other people, demand that the doctor perform a menial time-wasting task, and then drive home again, I may as well just go to work.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Corrode posted:

grown-up jobs
:rolleyes:

Chitin posted:

Your whole life has been backward. Are you Benjamin Button?

https://www.fairwork.gov.au posted:

Employers can ask an employee to give evidence to confirm why they have been away from work at any time. This includes even if an employee has only been off sick for 1 day.

An employee who doesn't give their employer evidence when asked may not be entitled to be paid for their sick or carer’s leave.

walrusman posted:

Who goes to the doctor every time they're sick?
Not every time. Just every time you're supposed to be working but can't. If you're a casual or don't get sick leave for whatever reason then you don't have to, but otherwise they won't pay you if you don't. :shrug:

I'm more curious about the need for medical certificates for kids though. Is there some issue with just taking parents' word for it that their kids are too sick for school? Are parents frequently lying about it to keep their kids home for other reasons?

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
A kid not being in school when they're supposed to be can be indicative of family problems, such as abuse. Obviously one day off because the child is unwell is not a concern, but schools generally track attendance, and if they notice a pattern they will notify the family to figure out what's going on. I'm sure requirements for doctors notes and procedures vary by school and by country, but generally what I've seen is that missing one day just on the parents word is fine, but if the child is off for a week or more the school will want to know what justifies it. The school nurse can handle sensitive medical information for that purpose.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Tiggum posted:

Not every time. Just every time you're supposed to be working but can't. If you're a casual or don't get sick leave for whatever reason then you don't have to, but otherwise they won't pay you if you don't. :shrug:
Because some employers would prefer you to not come in if you have the flu/a bad cold, so you don't infect everybody in the office and puke all over the floor.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Corrode posted:

Most grown-up jobs don't require a doctor's note unless you've missed a meaningful amount of time. For up to 5 days I self-certify, have a quick chat with my manager, and we all move on with our lives.

walrusman posted:

Who goes to the doctor every time they're sick? If I had the wherewithal to make an urgent (same-day) appointment, drive to the doctor's office, sit around breathing germs on other people, demand that the doctor perform a menial time-wasting task, and then drive home again, I may as well just go to work.

Doctors notes are pretty standard in Belgium, even for 1 day of absence. Then again, a doctor's visit is around 26eur (of which you get ~18 back), is easy to do same-day, and guarantees your normal days' wage will be paid for the duration.

There's also no real limit on the amount of "sick days" you can take as they're completely unrelated to paid vacation days.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Tiggum posted:

No, that's odd. And dumb. Doctors hate it because they have more important things to do, it raises health care costs for no reason, and it discourages sick workers from staying home when infectious so they go to work and make more people sick.

http://www.hrmonline.ca/hr-news/benefits/employers-stop-asking-for-medical-notes-on-top-doctor-176033.aspx

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS

Fishstick posted:

Doctors notes are pretty standard in Belgium, even for 1 day of absence. Then again, a doctor's visit is around 26eur (of which you get ~18 back), is easy to do same-day, and guarantees your normal days' wage will be paid for the duration.

There's also no real limit on the amount of "sick days" you can take as they're completely unrelated to paid vacation days.

Put your umbrella away, my European friend. It is not distant thunder you hear rolling, it's the sound of the Americans' jaws collectively hitting the floor.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Fishstick posted:

Lol this is hosed up

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
Wow weird. Norms are different in different places.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
It's similar in Sweden, except the first sick day is unpaid, you can take 5 sick days without needing a doctor's note, and if you need more than 14 days off sick the government steps in and pays, rather than your employer.

Also if you get sick during your vacation, you're technically supposed to call in so the days when you're sick don't count toward your vacation days.

Edit: This is if you're on a fixed salary, if you get paid hourly I'm not sure exactly how it works.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
Through Kaiser you can get a Verification of Treatment form just by talking to the advice nurse over the phone, at no cost. All you have to do is physically pick up the note they print out from a clinic of your choice. There's no need to actually have an appointment.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Because some employers would prefer you to not come in if you have the flu/a bad cold, so you don't infect everybody in the office and puke all over the floor.

I know why sick leave exists. I feel like you somehow missed the entire point of this conversation.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Fishstick posted:

This sounded cool and then I looked up Belgiums GDP ranking and it's 25th lmao nice country loser

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

oldpainless posted:

This sounded cool and then I looked up Belgiums GDP ranking and it's 25th lmao nice country loser

More like oldtactless.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Tiggum posted:

I know why sick leave exists. I feel like you somehow missed the entire point of this conversation.

No, I didn't. People are just going to go into work if they are going to have to go through the hassle of seeing a doctor every time they have a sick day.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

oldpainless posted:

I think Jeremy Clarkson said something like he'd rather kill himself than live in Belgium

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

I think Jeremy Clarkson said something like he'd rather kill himself than live in Belgium

I'm ok with the first option

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Flanders is lovely. Wallonia... well, not so much.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Belgium and the U.S. are virtually tied in rapes per capita. If there were ever two countries with popped collars who did a head nod 'sup' passing each other on the street, it would be Belgium and the U.S.

We have more money, they have better healthcare, we both have really lovely histories with Blacks. It's a toss-up whose better or worse.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Krispy Kareem posted:

Belgium and the U.S. are virtually tied in rapes per capita. If there were ever two countries with popped collars who did a head nod 'sup' passing each other on the street, it would be Belgium and the U.S.

We have more money, they have better healthcare, we both have really lovely histories with Blacks. It's a toss-up whose better or worse.

I don't know if the history with Blacks thing is accurate for Belgium, it's always had a hands-off policy.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Fishstick posted:

I don't know if the history with Blacks thing is accurate for Belgium, it's always had a hands-off policy.

holy poo poo

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
I didn't think that throwaway line would lead to a discussion, but here we are. Yes, re: children's absences, the school usually takes your parents' word for it, I should have said "excused from gym class" instead. The point of why I said it is that my manager thought we were all faking being sick just to be lazy when it was blatantly clear by how gray everyone's skin was that that wasn't the case. Nobody was expecting to get paid on their day off. She refused to schedule anyone for two consecutive days off, so you'd work six days or more on, one day off, for 10-12 hours a day, sometimes more if it was a weekend, and never have time to actually recuperate from the myriad germs we inherited by being around/in contact with children and toddlers and anything they touched.

Haha I mean dont' get me wrong, the time and a half was good, but literally everything else about the situation sucked.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

Fishstick posted:

:aaa:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Fishstick posted:

lmao gently caress me

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Fishstick posted:

:golfclap:

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Fishstick posted:

:drat:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Clapping? Really?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Krispy Kareem posted:

Clapping? Really?

You'd prefer a high - five?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

spog posted:

You'd prefer a high - five?

Well, you can do that with only one hand...