Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Blinkz0rz posted:

Or, and my guess is this is more likely because goons, they're the kind of people who can only work in perfect silence and take that deficiency out on coworkers.

Yes, I do work much better in complete silence and I complain when I'm asked to work in a lovely environment that doesn't work well for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

leper khan posted:

They're cheaper. That's the only reason for them.

Ding ding ding.

Technically, no physical office would best of all, but most companies are allergic to that.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Pixelboy posted:

Ding ding ding.

Technically, no physical office would best of all, but most companies are allergic to that.

Butts not visibly in chair = clearly slacking off, gotta whip them workers :whip:

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

Working in complete silence doesn't make sense to me. Software development is design. It's a collaborative, creative process. How "productive" a single developer on his/her own is, is hardly a concern. They may be very efficiently making the wrong thing for all you know.

I'm not saying you should sit in the same open plan office as your customer service department, but I'm all for great team rooms with space to work together, white boards on all the walls, etc.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Messyass posted:

Working in complete silence doesn't make sense to me. Software development is design. It's a collaborative, creative process. How "productive" a single developer on his/her own is, is hardly a concern. They may be very efficiently making the wrong thing for all you know.

I'm not saying you should sit in the same open plan office as your customer service department, but I'm all for great team rooms with space to work together, white boards on all the walls, etc.

I'd be fine with that.

This is the same enormous high ceiling room as CSR, QA, Product, Marketing, Sales, Accounting, HR, you name it. It's a zoo.

The worst part aside from the noise is the constant ad-hoc meetings that I become a part of whether I intend to or not when all I need is an hour block to dig into a task. It also doesn't help that the managers are all at the end of these aisles that everyone is on, and it feels like working in a high school hallway.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Messyass posted:

I mean, it's not all one or the other. Design is creative and collaborative, but sometimes you're just grinding. The opportunity should be there to chat with coworkers easily, but also to put your head down and just go ham on a feature branch for a day. Really, the openness requirement of an office is just dependent on the ratio of your personal distraction threshold to the respectfulness of your coworkers. In the end, if you've got an extreme at either end of the spectrum, you're probably gonna have a bad time regardless.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
A few years ago I worked at SolidWorks and everyone in the company (except contractors) got their own office. Some had a door, most did not, but it was a 8'x10' room with a desk, a chair, another chair, and the wall that faced the hallway was a big window. There was a second chair in each office so people could come in and talk and have a place to sit down. This arrangement was the best I've ever had because everyone (except contractors who were in a big fishbowl) was able to have a private space, but it was open and accommodating enough for other people to come in and work with you on projects that required communication and teamwork. A few years earlier SolidWorks was acquired by Dassault Systemes out of France and eventually they wanted all of their subsidiaries to do things the way they do, so they moved the company to a larger office space, switched to an open floor plan with half-height pinwheel cubes. the desks were of normal height, then you had a fabric wall extending about 1 foot higher than the desk, and then a foot of frosted glass. People's heads were still visible above the glass and everyone was uncomfortable. We lost some people with the move because of the added commute times (we moved from Concord, MA to Waltham, MA) and still others just couldn't adjust to the open layout after being so used to the more private space we had before. Mismanagement from France and other poo poo drove execs out and it's hardly the same company it once was. All the original SolidWorks people left to create something better while SolidWorks has pretty much stagnated and not really changed that much. Even their website hasn't been updated in like, 7 years.

The open environment didn't seem to change the level of collaboration, we were already capable of walking to people's offices and having discussions in a semi-private space. Being open did nothing to encourage more of it, it just encouraged everyone to wear headphones so we didn't have to listen to everyone else's bullshit.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Messyass posted:

This argument makes no sense to me. If collaborating will be beneficial, I'll do it, even if that means walking a few feet. If it's not, I won't, even if my entire team shares the same open space, cubicle, and pair of pants.

Obviously it's a problem if everyone is in a different city, but that's not what we're talking about.

It's not that I'm against a team sharing a greatroom, I just think the idea that open space means open communication is logically a non sequitur. Rejection of one does not in any way imply rejection of the other, and it's weird to me how some people see "I wish we all had offices" and then appear to conclude that person undervalues collaboration.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know
Long ago when I interned at Apple, their setup was that everybody had an office (with a door) large enough to fit 3 people comfortably. There was also a common area with couches. Nearly always, office doors were open which meant you were welcome to come in and ask questions or chat. If someone was working on something that required concentration, or was on the phone, they closed their door. You could pull a couple people into your office, shut the door, and talk loudly without bothering anyone. When you needed to work closely with someone, you'd just move into their office for a week or two (this did not seem at all uncommon).

It worked wonderfully for collaboration. I never had a problem getting time to talk with anyone, the one guy who liked to swear at his code loudly didn't bother anyone, and I never suffered from the open-office problem where some trivial question pulls in every single engineer because they can't resist giving their own opinion on function arguments.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
One example someone I think at Yahoo gave for why they ended remote working is that they saw from outside a room there were a couple engineers in a large room that started with a question. Another engineer overhears them and chips in and they're on a whiteboard. In another half an hour there's 6 engineers coming up with something. And that something wound up being a new product at the company.

I'm not saying I agree with it, but the problem with that line of thinking is presuming that more situations like that occur than what we typically complain about in here like people constantly getting distracted. And there is strong academic research showing that the best programmers do not necessarily come from better schools, better tier companies, do better in their interviews, get better peer reviews, nor even have more years of experience than others - the top 3 factors were.... 1. a quiet room 2. uninterrupted time 3. means of isolation.

I always got the impression the whole open office stuff was from art and design shops where they were pretty much poor and had a big workshop floor type situation, but maybe someone that actually gives a drat can explain where this trend even came from or the paper I can cite poorly in an Internet argument. From what I can put together, it seems like one of the best room layouts optimizing for software work is a common, central area highly visible from all corners, and everyone gets small offices roughly bigger than a cubicle all with whiteboards. I don't know if anyone's actually worked in such a layout besides maybe as a teacher though, so I can't say it's a good idea either.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The first open office was designed for a marketing firm, the had the same problems everyone else does.

http://www.npr.org/sections/money/2016/06/03/480625378/episode-704-open-office

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe
hmm
i've been thinking about ordering a man-size cardboard box from uline
like, the hilariously named gaylord
https://www.uline.com/BL_426/Uline-Easy-Loader

scramble into it, code by the light of the screen like i usually do, poke some air holes, bring some cushions

anyone tried this? besides sounding like a hilarious dystopic idea, any problems?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
For the first time I've ever heard of the open-office concept it was early 2000s in an article that I read on the net. In the article, the author compared the cohesion and the quality of BeOS versus the mess that Windows was at the time (I think XP just got released, but I may be wrong on that one). One important factor in this was (according to the author) the communication line that was always present and always open between the BeOS developers: kernel people sitting in a spitting distance from the graphics guys, from the audio people and so on and so forth. Whenever anyone had a question or an idea it was an immediate discussion, consensus was reached and everyone was on the same page. Contrast this to the Microsoft culture: closed offices, teams that hated each-other (much less talk), you shall not knock on the door of the kernel guys or half the Windows installation in the world would get a blue screen, etc. The result was obvious: one was an elegant, capable and reliable OS the other one was a complete mess. The left hand never had any idea what the right hand was doing at Microsoft.

The rest is history now.

(nowadays though open-office just means cheap-rear end fuckers, people who would kill puppies for breakfast if it would save them a penny. of course, productivity tanks and the company eventually folds, but hey ... we're "open").

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

necrobobsledder posted:

I'm not saying I agree with it, but the problem with that line of thinking is presuming that more situations like that occur than what we typically complain about in here like people constantly getting distracted. And there is strong academic research showing that the best programmers do not necessarily come from better schools, better tier companies, do better in their interviews, get better peer reviews, nor even have more years of experience than others - the top 3 factors were.... 1. a quiet room 2. uninterrupted time 3. means of isolation.

How do we define "the best programmers" though? Succesful software development involves so much more than being good at programming.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

necrobobsledder posted:

One example someone I think at Yahoo gave for why they ended remote working is that they saw from outside a room there were a couple engineers in a large room that started with a question. Another engineer overhears them and chips in and they're on a whiteboard. In another half an hour there's 6 engineers coming up with something. And that something wound up being a new product at the company.

Sounds like a case for a decent-sized room with a whiteboard and some open doors, not for ripping out all the walls in the building. It doesn't matter how awesome your whiteboarded ideas and collaborative design sessions are; if there's nowhere you can go to sit down and write the loving code, without being interrupted by everyone else's collaborative design sessions, all those amazing ideas aren't going to get built well or quickly enough to matter.

This story pisses me off because of the last part: "And that something wound up being..." It doesn't bother explaining how much work was done by engineers actually building this alleged product, probably concentrating really hard and not being constantly interrupted by phone calls and random conversations other people were having. It jumps from "meeting" to "now there's a new product." It emphasizes maybe 2% of the loving development process. It's like making a case for the whole company just sitting in a conference room all day coming up with ideas - surely if we're all in one room in front of a screen, new products will spring to life fully formed from our collective rear end in a top hat! We don't even need desks!

Not mad.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Volguus posted:

The rest is history now.

I'm not sure what lessons we're supposed to draw from the story, given that the history is Microsoft riding Windows to become one of the most successful companies ever created.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
If having your own office is the deciding factor in taking a job or staying with a company then you should probably just leave because there are clearly enough other red flags if that's your sole decision point.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

raminasi posted:

I'm not sure what lessons we're supposed to draw from the story, given that the history is Microsoft riding Windows to become one of the most successful companies ever created.

I think that's :thejoke:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Volguus posted:

The rest is history now.
correct, it's a fantastic lesson in building the wrong thing really well

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Messyass posted:

How do we define "the best programmers" though? Succesful software development involves so much more than being good at programming.
In the study, they had programmers complete a set of programming tasks and it was scored on correctness, readability, and performance. I wish I had a link to the study, I really have no excuse for such a strong set of claims.

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe
you talking bout the columbia study?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

raminasi posted:

Yes, exactly. BeOS is dead Microsoft is still going. Hate or love windows (xp, vista, 7, 8 or 10), as dysfunctional as they are, as a complete mess of an OS that thing is even now, they're nowhere near going down. On the contrary.

The lesson, i guess, is that theory and practice don't always agree. On paper, the open office with ad-hoc collaboration can give you a better designed, more cohesive product. In practice, letting engineers do their work undisturbed actually creates a successful product.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Volguus posted:

Yes, exactly. BeOS is dead Microsoft is still going. Hate or love windows (xp, vista, 7, 8 or 10), as dysfunctional as they are, as a complete mess of an OS that thing is even now, they're nowhere near going down. On the contrary.

The lesson, i guess, is that theory and practice don't always agree. On paper, the open office with ad-hoc collaboration can give you a better designed, more cohesive product. In practice, letting engineers do their work undisturbed actually creates a successful product.

I think it's closer that the theory of open offices is a stupid theory. Software does not get written collaboratively. Try having 15 people collaborate over what code to write, see how far you get.

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

Vulture Culture posted:

correct, it's a fantastic lesson in building the wrong thing really well

I still have a BeBox somewhere around here

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I think the lesson has less to do with software quality than the business as a whole. Though it's funny to think about Microsoft moving to an open office configuration, and suddenly the stock price takes a dive.

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

Skandranon posted:

I think it's closer that the theory of open offices is a stupid theory. Software does not get written collaboratively. Try having 15 people collaborate over what code to write, see how far you get.

What about pair programming? There's even a thing called mob programming, although I've never encountered it in practice.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Messyass posted:

What about pair programming? There's even a thing called mob programming, although I've never encountered it in practice.

Pair programming is as far as I think such a thing can be pushed, and even then, there is an explicit Driver who basically does the code, and the Passenger is trying to watch out for errors. If they start fighting over brace style or variable names, it quickly falls apart, and this goes up quickly the more people there are. Cost also scales linearly with more people, but you do not get 3-4-5x more productive, so the value of each person quickly plateaus.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Messyass posted:

Personally I believe that pair programming is great for mentoring (regardless who is actually writing the code) and is great for those times when "I have this really tough problem, let's solve it together on the computer instead of the whiteboard". Other than that, is a bit of a waste of time in my opinion.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
My scrum master at my last position gave everyone a rubber duck. He said if you and the duck can't crack the problem to talk to him and he would link you up with someone that could.
That duck knows his poo poo.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Gildiss posted:

My scrum master at my last position gave everyone a rubber duck. He said if you and the duck can't crack the problem to talk to him and he would link you up with someone that could.

Every programmer's secret weapon.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I explain code to my cat when I work from home.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Volguus posted:

Personally I believe that pair programming is great for mentoring (regardless who is actually writing the code)

I agree wholeheartedly with this. I had someone new at work asking the whole department, "What are good tutorials for <framework we use>?" and my answer was "Let's just work together for an afternoon".

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Skandranon posted:

Pair programming is as far as I think such a thing can be pushed, and even then, there is an explicit Driver who basically does the code, and the Passenger is trying to watch out for errors. If they start fighting over brace style or variable names, it quickly falls apart, and this goes up quickly the more people there are.

All of this should be figured out before pair programming even happens. The team should have a style guide with mostly clear expectations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

"So why did the design team not think through the inconsistencies of this front-end design?"

"Oh, they're not really familiar with designing for digital."

"Wait, what? Aren't they in charge of the design for our apps and website?"

"Yeah, they're actually people from a totally different company, they used to do book publishing. This is their first foray into digital."

"Why the hell are people who have only ever done design for books and have never done design for digital solutions in charge of designing our front-end?"

"Their head of staff is an old friend of our new CTO and all the members are the people they left their old company with, so the CTO hired them to be the new design team for the entire company after they laid off a bunch of people over at the main office."

"So they're in charge of design because of-"

"Nepotism, yes."

:suicide:

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jul 27, 2017

metztli
Mar 19, 2006
Which lead to the obvious photoshop, making me suspect that their ad agencies or creative types must be aware of what goes on at SA

Doom Mathematic posted:

I agree wholeheartedly with this. I had someone new at work asking the whole department, "What are good tutorials for <framework we use>?" and my answer was "Let's just work together for an afternoon".

loving yes, this.

Have the person being taught drive, tell them what to type and why, and they will learn so drat fast.

Worst is when the person teaching drives and it's like watching someone do magic, in the worst way.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Gildiss posted:

lifg posted:

Every programmer's secret weapon.

I used to do this, but now I just write emails to myself. If it's sufficiently useful, I'll then send it in case i run into it again.

Future me has at least 30 IQ on me.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Volguus posted:

Personally I believe that pair programming is great for mentoring (regardless who is actually writing the code) and is great for those times when "I have this really tough problem, let's solve it together on the computer instead of the whiteboard". Other than that, is a bit of a waste of time in my opinion.

Unless everyone on your team has the exact same knowledge-set, they will always have something to learn from one another. Mentorship never has to end.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Gildiss posted:

I can't bring myself to do this at the office. Usually when I'm at the point that I need to do this, I just message someone and ask to bounce ideas off of them. They know me well enough it will take about 5 seconds before I talk myself into the answer. It's usually just the process of organizing my thought train for someone else and stepping away from my desk that reveals the answer.

wilderthanmild posted:

I used to do this when I had a cat. Now I talk to a wizard hat and sometimes google home or alexa speak up randomly.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

wilderthanmild posted:

I have a coworker who explains the more complex frameworks we use to her three year old kid at home.

I can't help but wonder what that'll do to the kid's upbringing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Carbon dioxide posted:

I have a coworker who explains the more complex frameworks we use to her three year old kid at home.

I can't help but wonder what that'll do to the kid's upbringing.

I can only hope you're not doing much front end development, for the kid's sake.