Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

Hellsau posted:

The last time I played EDH for fun, I had a Brion Stoutarm deck that would cast Threatens and fling creatures around. I missed my third land drop for three turns, and two people just started killing me. Once I died, the player with Mana Reflection in play who no one bothered attacking or distrupting won the game immediately. It was really stupid and I don't play EDH anymore.

EDH can be frustrating. You bring a fair deck and someone combos out while two other idiots in your pod do nothing to stop the combo player. Or you bring a combo deck and win but everyone whines about it. The best experiences I've had are with a group of people who you know pretty well, who build semi-competitive but play competitive. That way if Johnny combo is being a prick, you can gang up and take him out early. Or if you have a deck that is too strong and wins too frequently, people don't whine but you figure out you need to play something else next time or tone it down. It can be a nice social experience but only if the group clicks. Also oldbies like me don't have time for Standard but are attached to our collections and want to keep playing with what we have, with a few upgrades now and then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
Oh does Ral Zarek work for Bolas too? I bet Tibalt also does then.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Excuse y'all, not all multiplayer Magic sucks. 2HG is amazing when done in a Limited format, and Archenemy was a rad idea that handles more than a little poorly.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/6pondr/how_do_i_report_bullying_at_a_dci_event_that_is/

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Attorney at Funk posted:

Naw he needs a BR walker. Main storyline Daretti?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Aw, they deleted it.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Balon posted:

Just timeshifted sarkhan

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Balon posted:

Tibalt can easily be BR.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Reene posted:

I honestly just liked that Bolas was just smuglord.gif as hell the entire time, it was super hokey and stupid but in a fun campy way. it's not High Literature but it doesn't have to be to be fun to read.

Yeah he was a delightful ham and I thought the story was hilarious because he was just dunking on the entire gatewatch.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i like that it took all of 4 blocks for the watch to be created and then seperated

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

The start of it where Lili possessed some zombie crocodiles to eat a demon was pure :stare: in the best kind of way.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Siivola posted:

Brandon Sanderson presumably still has an editor.

I'd like to see you prove that.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Attorney at Funk posted:

This is the only good twist out of Magic Story I've seen in forever.

Ral working with Bolas (wittingly or not) is hilarious given how well acquainted he is with Jace.

Smashing Link posted:

EDH can be frustrating. You bring a fair deck and someone combos out while two other idiots in your pod do nothing to stop the combo player. Or you bring a combo deck and win but everyone whines about it. The best experiences I've had are with a group of people who you know pretty well, who build semi-competitive but play competitive. That way if Johnny combo is being a prick, you can gang up and take him out early. Or if you have a deck that is too strong and wins too frequently, people don't whine but you figure out you need to play something else next time or tone it down. It can be a nice social experience but only if the group clicks. Also oldbies like me don't have time for Standard but are attached to our collections and want to keep playing with what we have, with a few upgrades now and then.

This is exactly why I tore apart Alesha and made it Kaalia instead.

Because I was tired of bring Fun Times to the Try Hard Tables. And I wanted to swing Hellkite Tyrant into Esper Artifacts starring Silas and Tymna.

Edit: Also for some reason "No Guys It's Totally Not Mono-U Counterspells and Clones starring Sakishima" never counters Kaalia or deals with the fact I get to whap him in the face for 10 on turn 4.

Because that's less dumb than me regurgitating Recruiter of the Guard with Alesha, apparently?

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jul 26, 2017

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

And nostalgia be damned, the plot of the last few sets has been hit-or-miss (BfZ was a loving travesty and MaRo's comment of "we didn't know what people wanted from a return to Zendikar" was loving stupid), but NPH was fun, and I enjoyed the hell out of both Innistrad blocks.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

mandatory lesbian posted:

i like that it took all of 4 blocks for the watch to be created and then seperated

I like to think that Wizards planned to make them a longer-running thing, but fans made so much fun of it that Wizards decided to immediately scrap it.

Also I doubt the group is gone for good. Dark middle chapter and all.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Pontius Pilate posted:

Tibalt can easily be BR.

Only red can have truly The Worst planeswalker tho

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I'm making a super-flavorful Cat themed deck for EDH once that Cat deck comes out, but I'll probably never play it because there's too many try-hards at my store ever since they started running tournaments. Like almost every card is going to be cat-themed, there are so many good cards that happen to have cats in the art. Natural Order, Surprise Deployment, Mirri's Guile, Path to Exile, Blazing Archon, etc.

I didn't see it posted here (except the bit about Steamflogger Boss), but Maro put up a blog post about Unstable:

quote:

I promised to post the new info I gave out at the panel. Note that it’s all about Unstable. Here it is:

Unstable will have a small Squirrel theme, enough to build a deck around. There is a Squirrel lord but because its effects stack, it isn’t legendary so people can get multiples on the battlefield at the same time.

The set will have full-art basic lands with art done by John Avon. We did something with them that we almost did in Unhinged by chickened out. They look amazing.

The set will have Contraptions. I figured out a flavorful and fun way to do them but it was a bit much for black border. I consider it a home run execution. Steamflogger Boss is on the set. It appears once on the land sheet (It was the only way to get a black-bordered card in the set). Only the basic lands and Steamflogger Boss are Eternal playable. All the creatures in this set that assemble Contraptions are Riggers.

The set has a cohesive creative theme. We brought in artists and did real world building. The world is a mad scientist steam punkish world with five factions:

Order of the Widget (White/Blue) - This is the cyborg faction. They are like Esper but without any self control. They use their inventions to constantly improve themselves. You don’t need a toaster if you replace your hand with a toaster. They take self improvement to an absurd degree.

Agents of S.N.E.A.K. (Blue/Black) - This faction is the spies. They use their inventions for elaborate spy devices. The problem is, they are, for the most part, awful spies, using spy gadgets whenever and wherever they can often when not remotely called for.

Legion of Dastardly Doom (Black/Red) - This faction is the super villains. They use their inventions for death rays, weather control devices and apocalypse machines. They want to rule the world, but are constantly fighting as to who gets to destroy the world first.

Goblin Explosioneers (Red/Green) - This faction is the Goblins, it includes the Steamfloggers. These Goblins love making contraptions and are slightly obsessed with hammers. Their style is slapping thing together to see if cool things can happen. And when things don’t explode, sometimes they do.

Crossbreed Labs (Green/White) - This faction is obsessed with using their inventions to alter biology. They are all made up of hybrids of different animals. Part monkey/part spider/part leopard - sounds good. This faction mixes and matches all sorts of different animals in its quest for self improvement.

The set uses modern design and development techniques. It was designed to be drafted by itself and the release events for the product will be booster drafts. We worked hard to make the set have a lot of playability so you can draft it a bunch of times.

The set will have foil tokens, both for tokens produced by cards in the set and for popular tribes we felt the players would like in foil.

There are tons of other cool things I can’t talk about yet. The set does have a second named mechanic, along with Contraptions. It is something we’ve been trying to solve for years and with the flexibility of silver border, finally found a way to do it.

The set started design in January of 2011 and has its release date slip on several occasions. I am very proud of the work everyone did and think it’s the best Un-set we’ve ever made. I believe fans of Un-sets are going to love it.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Lawnie posted:

Only red can have truly The Worst planeswalker tho

yea trash mythics are extremely part of reds color pie

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

BJPaskoff posted:

I didn't see it posted here (except the bit about Steamflogger Boss), but Maro put up a blog post about Unstable:
I am cautiously hype about this.

Wish I played more kitchen table Magic so I could make a Crossbreed + Simic deck.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I'm late to this conversation, but 2HG draft is a goddamn amazing format.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I like the idea of Unsets but playing a CCG with cards that aren't worth anything and can't play anywhere else feels bad. Love the non green factions he described though.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

I'm late to this conversation, but 2HG draft is a goddamn amazing format.
:respek:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Archenteron posted:

Bolas: Come at me. Also what the hell gate are you dorks watching? Stupid kids.
Jace: We got a plan?
Gideon: :black101:
Chandra: :flame:
Liliana: :zombie:
Nissa: :weed:
Bolas: *just punchingbags Gideon into a wall* Hey it's great that you're invincible cause I can do this all day. *nosells the other three*
Jace: Wow I can't hack his mind
Bolas: *telepathic :smaug: *
Jace: Hey cool now that he smugged in my mind I can trace the signal and hack his brain
Bolas: Holy poo poo you're stupid *mindcrushes Jace*
Jace: Oh christ I'm about to die :tizzy: *exeunt*
Lillly: Goddammit Bolas nobody fucks Jace's anything but me
Chain Veil: Yes, fight him
Raven Man: HOLY gently caress STOP IT
Bolas: You're an oldwalker. You know what I got. You got common sense. You know where this is going. Also I know how to properly use the Chain Veil.
Lilly: Um...
Bolas: Don't call me, I'll call you.
Lilly: Yeah gently caress this I'm out and you all should too :yikes: *exeunt*
Bolas: ...So, you guys hiring? You're down a necromancer :smaug:
Chandra: :ssj:
Bolas: Come on now I'm a loving dragon, even at your worst you're gonna give me a hotfoot.
Nissa: *throws rocks at Bolas, summons elementals*
Chandra: Yeah girl power combo atta-
Bolas: *reaches down and crushes Chandra's ribs* You also realize I'm a wizard, right? *Flaying Tendrils Nissa*
Chandra: That is entirely too much of my own blood :gibs: *exeunt*
Nissa: Ow ow ow poo poo gotta get the Leylines power to beat him
Bolas: Shat in those 60 years ago, get the gently caress out
Gideon: :glomp:
Nissa: Thanks for distracting him Gideon :itwaspoo: *exeunt*
Bolas: You're like a tantrum throwing baby, Gideon, your strategy sucked, you suck, your invincibility trick sucks *stabs in shoulder through shield* get the gently caress out
Gideon: :smith: *exeunt*
Bolas: :smaug:
Tezzeret: Hey boss 'sup?
Bolas: You're late.
Tezzeret: Traffic. Kicked the Gatewatch's rear end I see, good job. Want me to go find them?
Bolas: Nah, I got my kicks already. Go tell Ral Zarek to hurry up with his thing.
Tezzeret: Yeah sure *grumble*
Bolas: drat it feels good to be a gangster.

as someone who read the story, holy poo poo this is a good summary

also way more fun than the actual story

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

So apparently there was some major MTGO poo poo again today? lol

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Elyv posted:

as someone who read the story, holy poo poo this is a good summary

also way more fun than the actual story

This is a true statement

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Balon posted:

Maro periodically picks questions on his blog that lets him say "while Tibalt's card was red, he is absolutely a black/red character" which is what makes me think Tibalt would be the third one.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

ShaneB posted:

So apparently there was some major MTGO poo poo again today? lol

Well it's been in downtime since this morning and was still down about 15 minutes ago when I tried so, probably.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Archenteron posted:

Bolas: *just punchingbags Gideon into a wall* Hey it's great that you're invincible cause I can do this all day. *nosells the other three*
Jace: Hey cool now that he smugged in my mind I can trace the signal and hack his brain
Bolas: You're an oldwalker. You know what I got. You got common sense. You know where this is going. Also I know how to properly use the Chain Veil.
Bolas: Come on now I'm a loving dragon, even at your worst you're gonna give me a hotfoot.
Bolas: *reaches down and crushes Chandra's ribs* You also realize I'm a wizard, right? *Flaying Tendrils Nissa*
Bolas: You're like a tantrum throwing baby, Gideon, your strategy sucked, you suck, your invincibility trick sucks *stabs in shoulder through shield* get the gently caress out
Tezzeret: Traffic. Kicked the Gatewatch's rear end I see, good job. Want me to go find them?
Bolas: Nah, I got my kicks already. Go tell Ral Zarek to hurry up with his thing.
Voted five on the thread just for this post.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

Archenteron posted:

WotC hire this man to write the magic story.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

C-Euro posted:

I like to think that Wizards planned to make them a longer-running thing, but fans made so much fun of it that Wizards decided to immediately scrap it.

Also I doubt the group is gone for good. Dark middle chapter and all.
Jace is in the next set, we're just going to do the "getting the team back together" arc through the next 1-3 years of sets.

Basically we'll see each of them durdle around, then we'll see one of them decide that enough is enough/this can't stand/friendship/lili misses jace/we need to right the wrongs/bolas is farts, etc, then that member will get them back together and they'll do a Return of the Gatewatch set and so on. Hopefully during the break we'll have cool stuff like Chandra actually learning some new abilities, one-armed Gideon and Ajani saving Elspeth, Liliana encountering phyrexia again, as side stories. And I don't know if he's one-armed but that'd be an interesting change.

It's a little funny they refuse to pay artists to do a comic when it's pretty clear the writing is just marvel/dc tier schlock since that's what they like. And they will never, ever, ever learn from the complaining. They doubled down on everything wrong with the Weatherlight Saga and were surprised when the complaining about the exact same problems came back.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

TwistedNails posted:

I love him. Who do you recommend that's better? I listen to a ton of audiobooks at work while I do paperwork so legit recommendations would be cool.

I recommend Scott Lynch 'The Lies of Locke Lamora' and Lev Grossman 'The Magicians". Those are the books that come to mind. I consider those 'strichtly better' than anything I've read by Sanderson, but it's all subjective and you may disagree. Both are great audiobook productions at least.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Spiderdrake posted:

Jace is in the next set, we're just going to do the "getting the team back together" arc through the next 1-3 years of sets.

Basically we'll see each of them durdle around, then we'll see one of them decide that enough is enough/this can't stand/friendship/lili misses jace/we need to right the wrongs/bolas is farts, etc, then that member will get them back together and they'll do a Return of the Gatewatch set and so on. Hopefully during the break we'll have cool stuff like Chandra actually learning some new abilities, one-armed Gideon and Ajani saving Elspeth, Liliana encountering phyrexia again, as side stories. And I don't know if he's one-armed but that'd be an interesting change.

It's a little funny they refuse to pay artists to do a comic when it's pretty clear the writing is just marvel/dc tier schlock since that's what they like. And they will never, ever, ever learn from the complaining. They doubled down on everything wrong with the Weatherlight Saga and were surprised when the complaining about the exact same problems came back.
MaRo is a decent designer from a mechanical standpoint (if only from doing it for so drat long), but as someone to be in charge of any part of the flavor, he is just woefully unequipped for the job.

Where is our Development Vorthos?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
They are responding to some of the criticism about sets focusing too much on the Gatewatch and feelings of overload from seeing all of them in each story. Aside from being the dark middle chapter in their story, this also gives them a chance to spend more time with individual characters while also allowing the settings to be less overshadowed by the ensemble.

The story is still real bad, obviously.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
The story is bad in the same way that every trad game's metaplot is always bad. The only thing unusual about it in this scenario is the popularity of the game itself.

If you really want to see some red hot bad writing I urge you to hop into any GW-game thread on this subforum

I thought this week's story was cool, sue me

Back it up Terry
Nov 20, 2006

I was browsing at some of the recent standard top 8 decks. Is it actually possible to build a competitive deck for $150 right now?

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

BJPaskoff posted:

Why does the Un set excite me in a way that Kaladesh never could?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

compton rear end terry posted:

I was browsing at some of the recent standard top 8 decks. Is it actually possible to build a competitive deck for $150 right now?
Standard is good again.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Spiderdrake posted:

The Weatherlight saga owned (at least according to kid me) and they need to bring some of that stuff back. I'll bet that the majority of current players weren't even around when all of that was wrapped up, especially if you consider Apocalypse to be the end of that story. Though you could argue that it wasn't fully put to bed until Future Sight.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

the Orb of Zot posted:

Why does the Un set excite me in a way that Kaladesh never could?

Same, I can't wait to see what they do with modern design ideas.

But I know that no matter how fun it is to draft, people aren't going to want to do that after the first time or two because the cards are worth nothing. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Smashing Link posted:

The best part of EDH is unwittingly enabling your own death. I whipped out my new Locust God deck this weekend and had one of those (non-Sol Ring) quick starts. I was way ahead on board by turn 3, and was about to kill everyone one turn at a time with a swarm of Shared Animosity boosted locusts, when I wheeled the guy to my left (playing Risen Bladewing) out of his slow big dumb dragon hand into his Twilight's Call. :v: He then proceeded to nuke all of us with a billion Scourge of Valkas triggers. All while I was too afraid of letting the new Neheb player go off.

Fun times.