Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Combat Pretzel posted:

Who cares about screensavers? Paint is getting deprecated!

--edit: TCP Offload Engine is being removed? I thought the Chimney stack was such a big thing back in the day? Gotta read up on that.
--edit: Oh hey, it was disabled by default since Win8/2012.

This is really odd. I have a 2012 and 2016 server and both have TCP offload stuff all enabled by default.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

It's also a OneDrive feature. If you have OneDrive setup, pressing Print Screen dumps the entire screen (or Alt+Print Screen dumps the current window, etc) to a PNG named with today's date in OneDrive\Pictures\Screenshots so for instance doing it today creates 2017-07-25.png, the next will be 2017-07-25 (1).png etc. The image also goes into your clipboard as normal, so you can still put it direct into your image editor of choice or whatever.

You can disable or re-enable the feature here:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Gorilla Salad posted:

Why not use Snipping Tool?
:aaaaa:

Ok, Paint can go.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah not enough people know how to snip.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

redeyes posted:

This is really odd. I have a 2012 and 2016 server and both have TCP offload stuff all enabled by default.
If you mean the settings in the adapter properties, I guess that's just a hint for Windows that you want to use them. How I understand it, the hardware offload within Windows is disabled regardless.

That said, the offload features I see on my Intel and Mellanox adapters are just IPv4/6 checksums and large sends. apparently all Chimney features. They're enabled by default, I guess that is getting overridden in the operating system.

--edit:
Apparently there's this thing called "Stack TCP Engine", which still does some sort of offloading? I don't know, it's all wishy-washy.

quote:

TCP Offload Engine
Removing this legacy code. This functionality was previously transitioned to the Stack TCP Engine.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jul 25, 2017

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Sorry, didn't realise it was a OneDrive specific shortcut!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

GreenNight posted:

Yeah not enough people know how to snip.

I actually use Snipping Tool and Paint often at work when I need to send two snips combined. I generally Snip, paste to Paint, snip again, paste to paint, then snip that combined picture.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Snipping tool is nice but sometimes you need to do some simple edits like putting a box around key text or something. Resizing a photo can be pretty common too.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

You can paint in snipping tool too #wow #whoa

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I can't wait for Microsoft to replace the snipping tool with some modern ui app that has fewer features and more wasted space

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Klyith posted:

the really surprising thing here is that a program from the windows XP days worked for as long as it did.
And apparently Intel video drivers from 2016.

eames
May 9, 2009

GreenNight posted:

Na, everyone gets Adobe Creative Cloud.

my windows computer has 2GB of RAM to run the OS and another 6GB to take a screenshot

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

redeyes posted:

Thats supposed to be something to monitor battery drain? Is it telemetry somehow?
No, in that while its purpose is to measure certain behaviours, it is designed to hold the results on the computer itself (hence the drive writes) for manual troubleshooting rather than report them back to Microsoft for system design purposes.

Heavy Hands
Jan 1, 2006

Helmut
the
Mysterion

VostokProgram posted:

I can't wait for Microsoft to replace the snipping tool with some modern ui app that has fewer features and more wasted space

There is a modern version of it called Snip, that has some nice added features I hope they port over to the Snipping Tool.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

fishmech posted:

Screensaver files are just normal Win32 applications anyway, so it's one of those things that should be easily doable with third party software once the Microsoft controls are removed.

And that's just another third party app to keep track of. Screensavers are handy for kiosks and having control via GPO is convenient :shrug:

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

baka kaba posted:

You can paint in snipping tool too #wow #whoa

Some of us are real bad at freehanding lines. :downs:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

And that's just another third party app to keep track of. Screensavers are handy for kiosks and having control via GPO is convenient :shrug:

Funny, Microsoft explicitly writes that screensavers are not going away, and you will still be able to configure them via GPO for one thing.

(And besides, third-party products can also support GPOs, and can supply their own extensions to the system as well, so it's not like a third-party screensaver product couldn't be fully GPO controlled regardless.)

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Between upgrades and new purchases, we don't have any accessible systems on our original Homegroup. I want to start a new one... but Windows keeps on telling me - on each system - that a Homegroup already exists. How do I say "gently caress that" and start a brand new Homegroup?

I found the answer! Shut down every single system on the network. Turn on the system you want to make the primary on the Homegroup, and at that point, you'll have the option to create a new one!

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Build 16251 posted:

Use sign-in info to apply settings after a restart or update:
The advanced Windows Update feature to use your sign-in info to automatically finish setting your device after an update has been extended to regular reboots and shutdowns. When you log in and initiate a reboot or a shutdown through power options available on the Start Menu and various other locations, Windows will automatically setup your account after it has booted back up.

This will help you sign-in faster and will restore your accessibility applications and any other application that has registered for application restart.

Neat

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Possibly of interest to some, myTube has just been updated to include Picture in Picture support, so if you wanted PiP for YouTube videos then that's a thing you can have now. Still not a thing in the Netflix app, annoyingly.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I just had to replace a motherboard (lightning strike on the phone line/router) in a computer that had a "free windows 10 upgrade" windows install; as a result, I had to do a fresh install of Windows 10 from a disk, as there wasn't any other way to get my SSD to boot up..

Is there any goon-recommended way to easily port my settings/ documents/ etc. over to the new windows install? I don't want the windows.old file clogging up space on my ssd and I want to make sure I've moved everything over.

also, is my old version of windows 10 functionally "gone" even though I see it on the drive? I'd prefer not to shell out for a new copy, but if I must I must I guess? I had not set up a "microsoft account" because I hadn't even realized that was a thing yet.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jul 29, 2017

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
You mean despite it nagging you to set one up?

Anyway what was the upgrade from? The thrown out from work laptop I'm typing this on activated just fine with the 7 Pro key under the battery

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

dissss posted:

You mean despite it nagging you to set one up?

Anyway what was the upgrade from? The thrown out from work laptop I'm typing this on activated just fine with the 7 Pro key under the battery

I suspect at some point I got annoyed and told it to stop nagging me while I was trying to do other things.

It was an upgrade from windows 7. I have the windows 7 key around here somewhere because I'm a pack rat, maybe that'll work.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I just replaced my cpu and hard drive. I booted from a USB thumbdrive I made prior to the upgrade and then put in the windows 7 home key I had from a previous computer. Worked just fine for me.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I wonder what happens if you do a clean install on a spare drive with the 7 key, have it activate a new digital license for the new mb, and then swap the drive with the old install back in.

On the one hand: not circumventing the detection of significant hardware changes. On the other hand: the new hardware is already known and activated.

Sure, mb drivers will need to change on the spot, which can be rocky, but since Vista or whatever the system stands a chance to survive that.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Does anyone have program leftovers that come up in the start menu search?

I have a bunch of Google apps that are no more, along with the short cut to Chrome that shows up when searching. Even if uninstalled.

Anyone know if this is some cache that simply needs a deep cleaning?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Parallelwoody posted:

I just replaced my cpu and hard drive. I booted from a USB thumbdrive I made prior to the upgrade and then put in the windows 7 home key I had from a previous computer. Worked just fine for me.

ok, yeah, my old Win 7 Pro key worked just fine. Thanks all.

Any suggestions for "easily" copying everything over from the old install to the new? I'm having massive issues where it's not even letting me copy/paste files around because apparently I'm not the administrator, old me is the administrator! And I can't tell it otherwise!

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jul 29, 2017

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

ok, yeah, my old Win 7 Pro key worked just fine. Thanks all.

Any suggestions for "easily" copying everything over from the old install to the new? I'm having massive issues where it's not even letting me copy/paste files around because apparently I'm not the administrator, old me is the administrator! And I can't tell it otherwise!

You need to take ownership first, before you can then give yourself permission. You could do this on the whole drive if you wanted to, or by folder, process is the same.

Right click on the drive/folder, properties, security tab, advanced, owner, edit, select your new local user, OK out of all the dialogues, then right click again, properties, security, advanced, change permissions, add, select your new local user, select full control, OK, select "replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object", then OK, OK, OK...

Now you are free to do whatever you want on the drive/folders you gave yourself rights to.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jul 29, 2017

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Looks like the deffered Creators Update party is over -- I got asked to install it today, so I did. :toot:

The one thing that bothers me is there doesn't seem to be any way of disabling the firewall notification without disabling the security centre notifications altogether? I don't need a firewall as I already have a gentoo hardened server acting as NAT gateway and firewall. What's the best recourse here, turn firewall on but create a rule that allows everything through?

e: Straight up "Uninstall OneDrive" option -- A+ would creaturs update again. :v:

e2:

An editable/pasteable path bar in regedit :aaaaa:

Jan fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jul 29, 2017

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

HalloKitty posted:

You need to take ownership first, before you can then give yourself permission. You could do this on the whole drive if you wanted to, or by folder, process is the same.

Right click on the drive/folder, properties, security tab, advanced, owner, edit, select your new local user, OK out of all the dialogues, then right click again, properties, security, advanced, change permissions, add, select your new local user, select full control, OK, select "replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object", then OK, OK, OK...

Now you are free to do whatever you want on the drive/folders you gave yourself rights to.

Yeah that's what I've been doing. It's mostly worked but not completely; sometimes it tells me I need to get permission from myself, which I presume is Alternate, Prior Timeline Me. I'm sure I'll work through it, just taking time and bother.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

You could load into some flavor of linux live session and copy everything there. Those don't seem to care about ntfs file ownership.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Jan posted:

Looks like the deffered Creators Update party is over -- I got asked to install it today, so I did. :toot:

The one thing that bothers me is there doesn't seem to be any way of disabling the firewall notification without disabling the security centre notifications altogether? I don't need a firewall as I already have a gentoo hardened server acting as NAT gateway and firewall. What's the best recourse here, turn firewall on but create a rule that allows everything through?

e: Straight up "Uninstall OneDrive" option -- A+ would creaturs update again. :v:

e2:

An editable/pasteable path bar in regedit :aaaaa:

When you click the firewall notification it brings you to a screen that has a place where you can click that says "disable alert for firewall".

Titan
Jan 14, 2002
Does anyone know how to kill Cortana now? I tried everything, disabling it in the registry, renaming the folder..etc and now it just freezes my start menu about an hour after I do it. I want her dead!

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Titan posted:

Does anyone know how to kill Cortana now? I tried everything, disabling it in the registry, renaming the folder..etc and now it just freezes my start menu about an hour after I do it. I want her dead!

Install Classic Start, right click to hide it on the Task Bar, use Chrome, and you'll never see it?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Titan posted:

http://winaero.com/blog/disable-cortana-windows-10-1703/

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

GreenNight posted:

When you click the firewall notification it brings you to a screen that has a place where you can click that says "disable alert for firewall".

Not in Creators Update, there isn't.

The only way to disable notifications is to disable the security centre altogether. Pretty sure someone brought it up not so long ago, but for the antivirus instead...

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Windows Defender is interesting. I have an exception set up for a false positive. Despite knowing that, it still pretends it's a threat and keeps it listed. So whenever I download/unpacked a file and make Defender scan it specifically via the Explorer's context menu, it pops up, showing one file scanned and one threat found. Of course that one threat is the file with the exception. Who thought that was a good idea?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I'll get you a screenshot of what I'm talking about next week when I'm at work.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Jan posted:

Not in Creators Update, there isn't.

The only way to disable notifications is to disable the security centre altogether. Pretty sure someone brought it up not so long ago, but for the antivirus instead...
There's an option to turn off the notification if you right-click the notification itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Is there an easy way of accessing the emoji menu on desktop? Other than clicking the touchscreen keyboard button, but I want that hidden so it doesn't take up taskbar space when I'm never going to use it.