Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Thundercracker posted:

Quoting this for posterity and laughs. Hint: you don't

lmao, nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Renoistic posted:

Both Prompto and Aranea are looking GOOD in their new outfits! The DLC itself was pretty shallow but I had fun fighting alongside best girl Aranea again. Patch back the ability to put her in the party, S-E!

:same:

Delete Gladio and replace him w/Aranea.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
In the Prompto DLC sometimes the pair perform a team attack that is separate from the normal special attacks. Any idea how you trigger them? Like the team attacks in the base game?

Edit: I found a silly glitch.
https://youtu.be/K9AY9GkpPYE

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jun 29, 2017

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I kind of forgot that this game out last year, due to being busy, but I was wondering if overall people were happy with the game. It caught my eye much in the way VIII did back in the day for having a setting that wasn't purely "fantasy", and in in this case very modern looking. The road trip aspect looks pretty neat too.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's a good game that is very clearly unfinished in a lot of ways. The story loses itself but the ending is legit great. I'd say give it a shot, see if it does anything for you. The characters are by far the strongest aspect so the road trip ends up working more than it doesn't.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arist posted:

It's a good game that is very clearly unfinished in a lot of ways. The story loses itself but the ending is legit great. I'd say give it a shot, see if it does anything for you. The characters are by far the strongest aspect so the road trip ends up working more than it doesn't.

Cool, in fairness for me as much as I liked 8 I always felt that story went pretty stupid by the end (why does someone want to compress time...especially when it will kill everyone else). I sold my PS4, so I'd have to get another to play it. Truthfully this wouldn't be that bad as it was a launch model that sounded like a B-52 on takeoff at various times.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

MazelTovCocktail posted:

So I kind of forgot that this game out last year, due to being busy, but I was wondering if overall people were happy with the game. It caught my eye much in the way VIII did back in the day for having a setting that wasn't purely "fantasy", and in in this case very modern looking. The road trip aspect looks pretty neat too.

I'm glad I played it (got it on sale for 30 bucks). I was a big fan of the overall all "tone" change towards the end. The story is a goddamn mess (not the plot itself but it just felt unfinished and cobbled together I guess?). I honestly didn't feel super connected to any of the plot other than the 4 bros and their personal journey. "Wait, I thought he was a bad guy" "who the gently caress is that and why do I care" etc

If it is cheap and you have time to kill; I'd say get it.

e: Disclaimer: the last FF I played was X, then 8 before that. The world of voice acting is a beast that I think FF hasn't seemed to get over yet. Reading a bad line of dialog is one thing; hearing it from a big titted hillbilly accented character is an another that I just haven't been able to get over yet. IM TRYING GUYS

Professor of Cats fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jul 2, 2017

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Professor of Cats posted:

Reading a bad line of dialog is one thing; hearing it from a big titted hillbilly accented character is an another that I just haven't been able to get over yet. IM TRYING GUYS

I got off pretty quick to her, Idk what your issue is.

E: Ohh you said get over, my bad

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

MazelTovCocktail posted:

It's not a good game. If you're ok with $30 to have played all the games in the Final Fantasy series go for it. I don't regret the purchase but it certainly was a clusterfuck of a game from top to bottom.

If you're looking to scratch that Final Fantasy itch though you might be better off putting that time into Final Fantasy XIV.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I'm happy buying it for $30 as the road trip part was decent enough but I'm still on the fence for the DLC since it's been extremely underwhelming.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

MazelTovCocktail posted:

It is not the best game but I had a lot of fun doing the sidequests, driving around listening to old Final Fantasy music and wandering into things you find on the road.

I stopped the game before the story kicks off around Chapter 9 I think? To just do all the sidequests, and then was extremely surprised at how short the actual story was afterwards. But during that sidequest chunk of the game I really enjoyed it.

Also as messy as the story is I think they pull off the ending

TurkeyFried
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk:
So a FFXV city building game just came out?
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.epicactiononline.ffxv.ane

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Don't even bother installing it. If you really want a FF mobage there's three other options which aren't just some lovely progress watcher game circa 2008.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

MazelTovCocktail posted:

You really need to watch both the anime and movie beforehand. I honestly don't know why they weren't packaged with the game. You lose a lot of context if you don't watch them.

A lot of the story and character development are front loaded into those. Especially stuff like Noctis' relationship with his father and what actually happened to his birth city in the beginning.

Anyway, my personal opinion is that it's very much worth a play through. When it does stuff right it acheives real Final Fantasy level of epic greatness. There's also some really innovative stuff. Just don't expect consistency. There's some real rough poo poo too.
I was pretty mad when I first finished i, but on reflection I think it'll achieve a love hate following in the end like VIII and XIII.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Thundercracker posted:

You really need to watch both the anime and movie beforehand.

No, not really. They provide filler details, but nothing that informs the main conflict with the antagonist or improves the ending. Don't waste your time if you aren't inclined.

If you like the four main characters, you'll enjoy the anime. If you like the setting, watch the movie.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I'd watch the anime before playing the game anyway. It's cute.

The movie isn't all that important but it has the most characterization for Luna and Regis, and I thought Sean Bean was pretty great in it.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
i didn't watch poo poo before playing the game and had no problem understanding what was going on. maybe i was missing some context about lucis and niflheim but this game's story isn't exactly top shelf literature

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sydney is close though

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

I love random characters like "oh yeah that ol dependable Richard and Susan or whatever". loving who now? Alright, I'll roll with it. Etc etc

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Die Sexmonster! posted:

No, not really. They provide filler details, but nothing that informs the main conflict with the antagonist or improves the ending. Don't waste your time if you aren't inclined.

If you like the four main characters, you'll enjoy the anime. If you like the setting, watch the movie.

You don't need to watch it to understand the story, but it exists to provide character context. Noctis' bitchy attitude makes way more sense once you realize that he saw exactly what was going to happen to him by seeing what the duties of kingship did to his father. The game does a very poor job of really explaining the reality of it til like the very end.

Like I had no idea Regis was actually around the same age as Cor and it was keeping the wall up that aged and crippled him from the game itself.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

https://finalfantasyxv.com/comrades/

I can't seem to find it now, but there was a presentation some time ago where the developers talked about wanting to include a 5th, customizable character and multiplayer component to the game, but weren't sure if they'd be able to pull it off. Looks like they've got something working, because starting from next Thursday until the following Tuesday they're holding a public test for an online multiplayer DLC. You'll have access to some limited character customization options and weapons, and be randomly matched with other players in one of three quests. In the full version, you'll apparently be able to play as the four main boys along with your custom character, and it looks like this component will have its own quest/character progression system in the form of meteorshards.

The public test will require you to own the Season Pass, but the full version will also have its own separately priced DLC if you don't want to put down for the season pass itself.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Vitamean posted:

The public test will require you to own the Season Pass, but the full version will also have its own separately priced DLC if you don't want to put down for the season pass itself.

Both versions also require a subscription to PlayStation+ or an Xbox Live Gold membership.

It's cool they're gonna be adding this, but it's still not enough reason for me to get a PS+ membership.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Kheldarn posted:

Both versions also require a subscription to PlayStation+ or an Xbox Live Gold membership.

It's cool they're gonna be adding this, but it's still not enough reason for me to get a PS+ membership.

You're missing out man, ps+ is good stuff. I have probably 100+ games in my library of which I've had fun on at least 20% that cost me nothing beyond the ps+ membership. Saints IV, that one where you ride subway tracks in the city and get powered up by sucking the juice from electrical conduits, and a few other full size games included.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Eh PS+ used to be good but it's been pretty poo poo ever since Sony didn't have to try anymore

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Kalenn Istarion posted:

You're missing out man, ps+ is good stuff. I have probably 100+ games in my library of which I've had fun on at least 20% that cost me nothing beyond the ps+ membership. Saints IV, that one where you ride subway tracks in the city and get powered up by sucking the juice from electrical conduits, and a few other full size games included.

I used the money saved from PS+ for new games and less RNG :v:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Sakurazuka posted:

Eh PS+ used to be good but it's been pretty poo poo ever since Sony didn't have to try anymore

They just gave out Until Dawn for July and are giving out Just Cause 3 for August.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Instant_Game_Collection_games_(North_America)

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Sakurazuka posted:

I dunno I've liked at least 1 and often 2 of the games in just about every monthly update. Plus I play online a tonne so it's good for that too :v

RatHat posted:

They just gave out Until Dawn for July and are giving out Just Cause 3 for August.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Instant_Game_Collection_games_(North_America)

See :)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah last month was decent but Just Case is meh and out of the previous two years I can count on one had the amount of titles I've bothered playing for more than 10 minutes.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Sounds more like your problem and not PS+. Either way you need PS+ to play online now so the freebies are just extras.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Cool lovely freebies are still lovely

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Xbone freebies have been pretty good recently.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I always find a year for like 30 bucks before my ps+ sub runs out. It's okay

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

RatHat posted:

[url]

cool downwell is being given out next month too

a ton of the psplus games the past year or so have been shovelware though

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Xbone freebies have been pretty good recently.

They'd have to be to justify paying for xbox live

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Zaphod42 posted:

They'd have to be to justify paying for xbox live
:qqsay:

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

RatHat posted:

Sounds more like your problem and not PS+. Either way you need PS+ to play online now so the freebies are just extras.

Back in my day PSN online multiplayer was free and we liked it :bravo2:

The only good news for PS4 is how FFXIV does not require PS+ to play w/PC users.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah last month was decent but Just Case is meh and out of the previous two years I can count on one had the amount of titles I've bothered playing for more than 10 minutes.

I got really confused for a moment and forgot this was the FFXV thread and not the PS Store thread.

in any event, this year alone, PS+ has given out Day of the Tentacle, Abzu, Tales from the Borderlands, Life is Strange, Until Dawn, and Tearaway, which are all good games

what's the reward for finishing all the menace dungeons, anyway? I have just Costlemark left (I think), but it's a bit of a slog so I dunno if I'll ever go finish it.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

morallyobjected posted:

what's the reward for finishing all the menace dungeons, anyway? I have just Costlemark left (I think), but it's a bit of a slog so I dunno if I'll ever go finish it.

The hunter's medal. Which you can used to craft some limit breaking spells.

Aaaaand that's it.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

The hunter's medal. Which you can used to craft some limit breaking spells.

Aaaaand that's it.

:waycool:

I might have to do it anyway if I ever want to pick it up again because I quit Costlemark in the middle and I haven't been able to use items anywhere since

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

https://twitter.com/FFXVEN/status/892010870041194496
https://twitter.com/FFXVEN/status/892015618244964352

Info about the Exosuits

Kheldarn fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Aug 1, 2017

• Locked thread