Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Mister Olympus posted:

The big boss fate chain there (that nobody does, like other boss fate chains, because it requires far too many people) ends with the ghost of the last king.

I hear good things about a lot of the FATE chains. I'll probably have find a way to go through them at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

How good is storm blood and is there a late game? Last I played was right after release and the game was do open world events to max level then sit around.

Stormblood is great and right now endgame is three level 70 "expert" dungeons, an 8-player raid with normal and savage modes, and two extreme mode primal battles. The next major content patch I think will add the first wing of this expansion's 24-player raid.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Alright, I'm into Stormblood, I've really only got experience with White Mage, and I've heard the final boss of SB is an absolute nightmare to heal, to the point where I've seen people say to never bring a healer in unless they've got Savage experience or something.

Should I start leveling another class? I really don't want to get to the end of 4.0 and just get stonewalled because I'm not an incredible healer. It's honestly putting a bit of a damper on my excitement for the new expansion, TBH.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
those people are actual idiots

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

LordHippoman posted:

Alright, I'm into Stormblood, I've really only got experience with White Mage, and I've heard the final boss of SB is an absolute nightmare to heal, to the point where I've seen people say to never bring a healer in unless they've got Savage experience or something.

Should I start leveling another class? I really don't want to get to the end of 4.0 and just get stonewalled because I'm not an incredible healer. It's honestly putting a bit of a damper on my excitement for the new expansion, TBH.

If you're not in there with a group of monkeys, healing is fine and and it's easy boss.

By the time you get there, people running trial roulette are going to be quite well geared and make it even easier.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

LordHippoman posted:

No. People are overstating it. The final boss can be a little rough but it isn't that bad. I finished it on my second try and the first was a wipe because nobody was prepared for Tidal Wave. You'll be at the mercy of dumb people standing in death but that's true of any role you play and at least with healer you can control the healing instead of being at the mercy of someone else.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
About the only thing you could possibly mess up is doing a big heal right after the adds drop down if you don't realize that's whats happening, making them all eat your face.

Do it anyways, and then complain about the tanks.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
the fight has literally no enrage (there's a video of a 4-man group doing it over the course of like 17 excruciating minutes) so if dumb people stand in death constantly just...leave them down

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

LordHippoman posted:

You heard wrong and you're probably a better healer than you think.

Tanks have gotten suicidal of late which isn't going to help your self esteem about healing and that's something you can't influence without upsetting them and making them drop group (tell them that they have cooldowns and should use them) and bad DPS always find a way to die.

Not to say that you can't be blamed for any deaths, but not all of them are your fault.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 26, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

People really overstate the final boss's difficulty. I'm a loving moron and I avoided just about all the mechanics and didn't die in the whole fight. I guess it's possible you could end up running it with seven people even worse than me but boy that'd be unlucky.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

How good is storm blood and is there a late game? Last I played was right after release and the game was do open world events to max level then sit around.

I'm assuming you last played the initial (bad) release since even 2.0 had plenty of max level content

2.0 and forward is a completely different game that shares lore and allows character transfers. More of a sequel than a continuation of the same game

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

LordHippoman posted:

I really cannot emphasize how idiotic these people are. They make statements like this, and I imagine that they must have zero autonomous bodily function, if their attention is so divided that they can't heal something like Menagerie. Like, yeah, if you had to keep your sphincters closed so you don't soil yourself, manually work your digestive system, manually pump your heart, manually breathe, and manually blink on TOP of healing, dodging, and DPSing, sure. That must be pretty challenging.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Harrow posted:

People really overstate the final boss's difficulty. I'm a loving moron and I avoided just about all the mechanics and didn't die in the whole fight. I guess it's possible you could end up running it with seven people even worse than me but boy that'd be unlucky.

People also really underestimate how bad a lot of people are at this video game. If I had a dime for every time in the Menagerie someone blew up because they just didn't even notice something was happening, I'd be a rich man.

If you manage to avoid the mechanics of fights regularly and don't just facetank your way through content on the back of your healers, congrats! You're better than the majority of players. Hell, if you can remember what the name of your job is, you're probably ahead of the game.

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

My favorite thing in the final boss is ignoring tidal wave with the PLD cool down and baiting half the group into dying because they stack near me

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Well, the responses there were helpful. I appreciate the reassurance. At worst, it's something I'll only have to do once, unless Trial Roulette deems otherwise, and apparently it's not the "25 Duty Finder Attempts" nightmare it was rumored to be.

Watching the guide, the mechanics I'm really worried about are Akh Morn (Final Steps of Faith flashbacks) and the two big knockbacks, because I don't think I've done a single Primal with an open arena without getting knocked off of it at least once on a first run. Although one of those I guess is mostly on the tanks, and the other is just going to rely on me getting better with positioning.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the final boss is hard by msq standards, which still isnt that hard but pubs are bad and mess things up. you'll be fine. you dont need loving savage raid experience, just lol at that concept.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Xyven posted:

My favorite thing in the final boss is ignoring tidal wave with the PLD cool down and baiting half the group into dying because they stack near me

Also as a BLM :cool:

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

LordHippoman posted:

and the two big knockbacks

Tidal Wave is super easy to deal with even if you don't cheese it, but Surecast got buffed. It gives you knockback resistance until you cast a spell (or the timer runs out), so if you can't find the splash mark and see Tidal Wave about to finish casting, just use Surecast and enjoy the smug sense of satisfaction from ignoring mechanics. It's on a real short cooldown too.

The big green knockback is a piece of cake too. Pop sprint when the boss leaves, and gun it to a safe spot. If you get really turned around and feel like you won't make it, just run straight towards the boss instead. You'll eat the hit and take a vuln stack (which sucks), but it only pushes you back a few feet so you'll be a lot better off than if you went sailing off the edge. Pretty sure Surecast works on this one too!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I just triplecast through it as BLM because I CBA to slot Surecast and stop casting long enough to ensure the anti-knockback effect works

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Rainuwastaken posted:

Tidal Wave is super easy to deal with even if you don't cheese it, but Surecast got buffed. It gives you knockback resistance until you cast a spell (or the timer runs out)

Huh. I didn't notice that at all going through the Role Actions. it looks like there's no reason to use Esuna on that fight either, so I could probably swap those out for that encounter. Thanks.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I haven't gotten a healer to 70 yet. How does the final trial compare to A11N? That's my high-water mark for healer difficulty for casual content.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

It's fine. I don't know why you single out healers at all, it doesn't have that much to heal.
I died a bunch of times to avoidable damage and so did others but I never felt pressured with too much group damage.

Shy fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jul 26, 2017

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

vOv posted:

I haven't gotten a healer to 70 yet. How does the final trial compare to A11N? That's my high-water mark for healer difficulty for casual content.

that's the transforming plane boss right? he's deffo harder. the "hard" part of healing menagerie is not being able to stop yourself from pushing raise and running out of mana to heal through the consistent aoe damage the boss does.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
A11 is like, ludicrously difficult to heal for casual content. Significantly harder than many non-casual fights (though all the difficulty comes in a single spike right at the end, so I guess you could argue most extremes/savages have harder mean difficulty)

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

vOv posted:

I can't remember if I was Monking around the time I played A11N but it's probably harder to heal than Omega 1,2 and 3. Omega 4 has you do AoE heals kind of often so maybe that's harder than the final trial.

I did Omega 2 while casting like 2 heals earlier. poo poo was fun.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
all omega normals are extremely easy to heal and like 1 and 2 normal i mostly DPS (SCH)

3 is hardest i think just because duty finder fucks up gimmicks all the time

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

In case anyone else has problems, I uninstalled the XBOX app that comes with Windows 10 and stopped having crashes. I guess it does an overlay that doesn't play well with FFXIV?

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Depends, probably. I have this thing installed and it doesn't affect the game.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

Ciaphas posted:

I just triplecast through it as BLM because I CBA to slot Surecast and stop casting long enough to ensure the anti-knockback effect works

Btw, surecast doesn't wear off if you're casting spells that don't have cast times, so you can triple and then surecast and keep the anti-knockback effects while triple is up.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

cheetah7071 posted:

A11 is like, ludicrously difficult to heal for casual content. Significantly harder than many non-casual fights (though all the difficulty comes in a single spike right at the end, so I guess you could argue most extremes/savages have harder mean difficulty)

those fuckin' Preys in A11N, god drat.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Yukari posted:

Btw, surecast doesn't wear off if you're casting spells that don't have cast times, so you can triple and then surecast and keep the anti-knockback effects while triple is up.

well gently caress me silly sally that's a clever trick.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
I didn't realize Surecast's knockback/status resistance disappeared as soon as you cast something. I thought it was a separate, overlapping bonus to the basic "your next spell won't fail".

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Ferrinus posted:

I didn't realize Surecast's knockback/status resistance disappeared as soon as you cast something. I thought it was a separate, overlapping bonus to the basic "your next spell won't fail".

it doesn't just disappear as soon as something casts, it disappears as soon as you start a cast that would consume the buff

fakemirage
Nov 6, 2012

Can't see the haters.

Thumbtacks posted:

duty roulette

Speaking of great mentors:

quote:

(TANK) ok not enough DPS for that
(RED MAGE ♕) healz didnt have mana so i was healing
(HEALER) you can just use mana shift to replenish my mp :)
(RED MAGE ♕) it only give you 2600 mp

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Ciaphas posted:

it doesn't just disappear as soon as something casts, it disappears as soon as you start a cast that would consume the buff

It's time to bring back Tanaka.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

fakemirage posted:

Speaking of great mentors:

This is doubly funny if the healer was a white mage

I'm pretty sure I can heal any plausible pull in any dungeon from around 10% mp assuming my cooldowns are staggered in the usual way

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Extremely good, yes and it's good as well.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Underwater cities that are built like they belong there

I really want to know more about these ruins. Are they some previous civilization wiped out in a previous Calamity?

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Any other savage bard players here? Trying to optimize my damage due to my group not doing the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Count Bleck posted:

I like Machinist aesthetically but it is in fact really dull and boring.

Heat is like the whiny child you have to manage because someone asked you to instead of the good Bard child that sits and draws their nice pictures.

Overheating is them making GBS threads on the floor and you having to clean up the mess instead of something productive.
I found it kind of fun! ... Until they "fixed" it. Now it's both impotent and boring. :geno:

I leveled up and swapped to RDM and jesus it's like night and day. I haven't done a parse but the increase in damage is immediately noticeable, and even if there's a little utility gone there's still stuff like dualcast raises and mana shift to make up for it. How did MCH wind up so bad? I really wanted to like it, too.