Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Eela6 posted:

I've been checking this out. I'm liking it but not loving it. I like the slice-of-life bits where Konnosuke adjusts to modern life, and there's a cool sense of physicality to the mech fights I really enjoy. The mechs trip each other and bodyslam each other: you can 'feel' the mechs' centers of gravity shifting, which is really neat and surprisingly realistic.

I mean, it's giant robots fighting with swords like humans, but they it's 'realistic' human sword fighting. The whole thing is actually a lot more subdued than I expected, which is fun in it's own way!

I don't really love the characters, though.

I watched most of the first cour. I liked it for the most part but it's one of PA Works lesser shows for sure. It doesn't have the frenetic energy of Shirabako or Iroha (which is what I was hoping for, character wise) but it's not an irritating unpleasant slog like glasslip.

I'm not super sold on the mecha design outside of the protagonist suit, but there's stroy reasons to indicate it'll get more intense later on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
1) I loved Steins;gate and the big epiphany/revelation at the end (how everything fits together; the masterplan)

Then I watched Erased. Loved that too. Also sort of a big reveal and payoff. Both of these also grabbed me really early on as I needed to know how everything was gonna play out.

Is there anything else that's like that? Some grand mystery with a sweet payoff where everything falls into place. Doesn't have to be time travel, but I suppose a good time travel story lends itself to big epiphany payoffs in the end.

2) Separate question that is a little more vague, where can I find more gun action like this:
https://files.catbox.moe/8cti5d.webm
I watched Under the Dog and loved the action sequences of it. Unfortunately as far as I can tell, they've given up on the project after episode 0. Anything that has action sequences like that above clip? Doesn't have to be a schoolgirl. Or it can.

3) Is there anything that's like the first episode of Gai Rei Zero? Except like, a whole season of that, not just one teasing episode?

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Revitalized posted:

2) Separate question that is a little more vague, where can I find more gun action like this:
I watched Under the Dog and loved the action sequences of it. Unfortunately as far as I can tell, they've given up on the project after episode 0. Anything that has action sequences like that above clip? Doesn't have to be a schoolgirl. Or it can.

Crucify me if you like, but I'm going to recommend the first season of Gunslinger Girl. Just be prepared for brainwashed children turned into killing machines using questionable methods. That said, series actually goes into character relationships in a non-creeper way that points out how hosed up it all is.

Until season 2. don't watch season 2. Read the mangas instead if you get into it at all.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Revitalized posted:

Is there anything else that's like that? Some grand mystery with a sweet payoff where everything falls into place. Doesn't have to be time travel, but I suppose a good time travel story lends itself to big epiphany payoffs in the end.

You might enjoy Katanagatari. It's not quite as... intricate? I guess? It's less of a complicated plan and more that there's one big secret that turns out to be incredibly important in the end, and coincides with the emotional payoff of the whole series. It also doesn't hurt that it's gorgeous (and by the same studio as Steins;Gate).

Also now that I think of it the show they made right after Steins;Gate has aspects of that too -- Jormungand is basically a show with a bond villain as the protagonist, complete with a secret master plan with noble intentions but really dubious methods that doesn't get revealed till near the end.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Occultic;Nine is fast, frantic, and has a really fun series of twists and reveals. It's nowhere near as good as Steins;gate, but for a short 12 ep show I found it to be super, super engaging and fun.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Revitalized posted:

1) I loved Steins;gate and the big epiphany/revelation at the end (how everything fits together; the masterplan)

Then I watched Erased. Loved that too. Also sort of a big reveal and payoff. Both of these also grabbed me really early on as I needed to know how everything was gonna play out.

3) Is there anything that's like the first episode of Gai Rei Zero? Except like, a whole season of that, not just one teasing episode?

For the first one Monster, it's a long watch at 75 episodes, but it's seriously the best story of its type.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Revitalized posted:

Love how four trained military dudes can't shoot the girl a few feet away from them. Anyway, if by some miracle you haven't seen it already, Cowboy Bebop.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Seconding Gunslinger Girl season one.

Also Katanagatari, because Katanagatari is the freakin best.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Revitalized posted:

Go watch Jormungand, or Black Lagoon.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Revitalized posted:

Read the umineko VN or manga. The anime is bad though unfortunately. VN's strong points is having super kick-rear end music.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

ghost in the shell provides some good shooting scenes and hasnt been mentioned yet, jin roh as well. cat poo poo one is a pretty good cgi short thats 90% gunfights. shinsekai yori is good with the mystery, mouryo no hakko is a great mystery but its also an adaption of book 2 in a series of novels

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

Revitalized posted:

1) Is there anything else that's like that? Some grand mystery with a sweet payoff where everything falls into place.

Have you already seen Puella Magi Madoka Magica?

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Here's a request for recommendation :

Shows like Vandread, with or without the fanservice (I really don't care either way). Mainly looking for comedic space opera stuff.

I've already watched Martian Successor Nadesico and Irresponsible Captain Tylor.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Bodacious Space Pirates

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

space adventure cobra, you can start with the new series or the old one, there's about as much continuity as there is with james bond

or

space dandy

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Bodacious Space Pirates

I forgot that one, I have seen it. I also forgot to put 'Outlaw Star' on my already-have-seen list, even though it's far less comical than Vandread. Same with Bebop.

Davincie posted:

space adventure cobra, you can start with the new series or the old one, there's about as much continuity as there is with james bond

or

space dandy

I forgot about space dandy, I haven't seen it but it's been on my to-watch list forever. And I'll look into Cobra, thanks!

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

The last animes I watched were

Sailor Moon
Death Note
Ghost in the Shell
Inuyasha
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Trigun
Spice and Wolf
Code Geass
My Hero Academia

I'm interested in anything fantasy/sci-fi. I also like it when fantasy/sci-fi shows have an A/B structure where the A story is slice-of-life, like Sailor Moon

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Sounds like you might enjoy Konosuba.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

galenanorth posted:

Sailor Moon
Death Note
Ghost in the Shell
Inuyasha
Trigun
Spice and Wolf
Code Geass
My Hero Academia

I'm interested in anything fantasy/sci-fi. I also like it when fantasy/sci-fi shows have an A/B structure where the A story is slice-of-life, like Sailor Moon

Blood Blockade Battlefront. it's the same author as trigun and fits what you're looking for pretty well

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

galenanorth posted:

Sailor Moon
Death Note
Ghost in the Shell
Inuyasha
Trigun
Spice and Wolf
Code Geass
My Hero Academia

Patlabor

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

galenanorth posted:

Sailor Moon
Death Note
Ghost in the Shell
Inuyasha
Trigun
Spice and Wolf
Code Geass
My Hero Academia

real drive, gits author, mainly sol. very slow first few eps so you gotta get through that
haruhi, broadcast order. sol various other elements
evangelion has a lot of sol parts

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

galenanorth posted:

Sailor Moon
Death Note
Ghost in the Shell
Inuyasha
Trigun
Spice and Wolf
Code Geass
My Hero Academia

These are mostly action shows. How do you feel about comedy/action? Konosuba might be up your alley, or Assassination Classroom - definitely a mix of SOL and action in both.

Considering you have Trigun, Sailor Moon, and My Hero Academia on there, you probably have a pretty high tolerance for silly-cool. In that case, you might want to go full Symphogear :getin:

ED:
So I've burned out on trying to like Mecha stuff, for now. I'll give Patlabor a shot down the line, but so far nothing's really done it for me.

So here's a request that's pretty different. I haven't seen a lot of SOL, but I have seen Demi-Chan Wa Katinari, and I loved it. There's a basic kindness and patience to it that I did not expect. It's a very refreshing show. What's something that feels like Demi-Chan? The tone is the most important thing - I don't give a whit whether it has monster girls in it or whatever.

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jul 26, 2017

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
The Devil is a Part-Timer

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jul 27, 2017

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Eela6 posted:

So here's a request that's pretty different. I haven't seen a lot of SOL, but I have seen Demi-Chan Wa Katinari, and I loved it. There's a basic kindness and patience to it that I did not expect. It's a very refreshing show. What's something that feels like Demi-Chan? The tone is the most important thing - I don't give a whit whether it has monster girls in it or whatever.

It's hard to pick one with quite the same 'feel' as that, but Non Non Biyori, Tanaka-kun Is Always Listless, Flying Witch, Silver Spoon and K-On are all solid and relaxed SOL shows, so have a look at them and see if any grab your interest? Worth noting that K-On season 1 is a bit meh, but season 2 is waaay better. Most of the shows I mentioned are also on Crunchyroll.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

galenanorth posted:

Sailor Moon
Death Note
Ghost in the Shell
Inuyasha
Trigun
Spice and Wolf
Code Geass
My Hero Academia

Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit

Same writer/director as GitS:SAC, and most of the series focuses on the daily life of a mercenary and the young prince she has sworn to protect.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nipponophile posted:

Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit

Same writer/director as GitS:SAC, and most of the series focuses on the daily life of a mercenary and the young prince she has sworn to protect.

How born-again christian does it go? Because the SAC writer/Director has seemingly had some big issues with God since making SAC, if 009 Re:Cyborg's anything to go by. (DO NOT WATCH 009 RE:CYBORG)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Neddy Seagoon posted:

How born-again christian does it go? Because the SAC writer/Director has seemingly had some big issues with God since making SAC, if 009 Re:Cyborg's anything to go by. (DO NOT WATCH 009 RE:CYBORG)

I've only seen the first ten or so episodes but it's actually good! There was none of the weirdness of that terrible, terrible movie in it.

Ross Perowned
Jun 14, 2012

Shit in my hand and say yeah
I'm here to look for a recommendation similar to the new Magical Circle Guru Guru series. It's only three episodes in but it's thoroughly enjoyable and I like the comedic timing of it, so something similar?

Ross Perowned fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jul 27, 2017

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Ross Perowned posted:

I'm here to look for a recommendation similar to the new Magical Circle Guru Guru series. It's only three episodes in but it's thoroughly enjoyable and I like the comedic timing of it, so something similar?

Try shorts! Check out Tonkatsu DJ and Nobunaga no Shinobi

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i don't particularly care for guru guru so im just gonna rec the fast comedy shows teekyu, ai mai mii and magical somera-chan

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

I’ve recently been rewatching My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU and Hyouka, and just yesterday I watched Koe no Katachi. And I don’t know how best to put it, but they’ve put me in the mood for more anime and manga that are similarly deeply interested in exploring their characters. I suppose you could say character drama but that feels a bit vague. All those stories explore the complexity of communication and have elements of mystery. Looking for any manga and anime that this might make you think of. Doesn’t have to be set in highschool.

I’m also reading, and really enjoying, the Spice and Wolf light novels - does anyone have any recommendations for light novels that read this well/have good translations? What are generally considered to be the benchmarks for LN translations?

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
Monster.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Legend of the Galactic Heroes

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Hocus Pocus posted:

in the mood for more anime and manga that are similarly deeply interested in exploring their characters.

March Comes in Like a Lion, although it lacks the mystery elements.

For that, you want

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

Fortunately/unfortunately I've already watched Legend of Galactic Heroes, and watched/read Monster.

I'll definitely check out March Comes in Like a Lion though, thanks!

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I will also recommend Pluto, by the author of Monster, which is his take on Astro Boy with alot of mystery/detective type stuff in it. Great read.

vvv: Also good. If you read the premise it might make you raise an eyebrow, but it's a great cumming of age tale.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jul 29, 2017

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Onani Master Kurosawa

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

Kokoro Wish posted:

I will also recommend Pluto, by the author of Monster, which is his take on Astro Boy with alot of mystery/detective type stuff in it. Great read.

vvv: Also good. If you read the premise it might make you raise an eyebrow, but it's a great cumming of age tale.

I absolutely love Pluto, and hope it sees a series or film adaptation. Naoki Urasawa is a master of faces and there are some really devastating panels in those books.

Onani Master Kurosawa actually sounds like it could really on the mark!

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Hocus Pocus posted:

I’ve recently been rewatching My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU and Hyouka, and just yesterday I watched Koe no Katachi. And I don’t know how best to put it, but they’ve put me in the mood for more anime and manga that are similarly deeply interested in exploring their characters. I suppose you could say character drama but that feels a bit vague. All those stories explore the complexity of communication and have elements of mystery. Looking for any manga and anime that this might make you think of. Doesn’t have to be set in highschool.

I'd imagine you've likely seen it, but just in case you haven't, Evangelion (the TV series and End of Eva) is what I'd suggest. Though to a much lesser degree, I'd also say Steins;Gate (and if you don't mind VNs, its sequel Steins;Gate 0) has a pretty great focus on its characters and a great mystery.

EDIT:

Hocus Pocus posted:

I absolutely love Pluto, and hope it sees a series or film adaptation.

Pretty sure a series got announced just recently - one (hour?) long episode per volume, though it's not happening for ages. 2018, maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

GorfZaplen posted:

Onani Master Kurosawa

Seconding this. Power through the horror.