Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Jrjr : a good artist

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Linking because it's from today's Ultmates

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Man Foreman's artwork can be rough most times. I liked his run an Animal Man for all the body horror stuff but when it comes to regular stuff his artwork really suffers.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Ann Nocenti and JRJR really beat the living hell out of DD for a while there.

I mean, they were good comics, but he's lucky he wasn't run over by a steamroller and then had a safe dropped on him.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That is a pretty terrifying Hulk. Imagine if he always looked like that.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

goatface posted:

And if all he said was "Bueno Excellente".

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
In the high pitched voice of an eight year old boy.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
HULK
LOVE
CHUNK

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also cool how Cap looks like a cardboard cutout angled just slightly away from the camera.

I assume the Maker somehow reached back into the past Ultimate universe to grab these guys for nefarious purposes. Also I've always hated that IM armor design

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

prefect posted:

Ann Nocenti and JRJR really beat the living hell out of DD for a while there.

I mean, they were good comics, but he's lucky he wasn't run over by a steamroller and then had a safe dropped on him.

Well, he was nearly strangled to death by a vacuum cleaner, so yeah, you can check off "brutalized by inanimate objects" on the Daredevil Abuse Bingo Card.

E: new weekend plan: re-read all of Inferno

Pastry of the Year fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jul 20, 2017

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
JRJR seems to be one of those artists who is made or broken by the inker. He's one of my favorite artists although that might be chalked up to nostalgia...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Romita Jr's best work (in my opinion) is the post Clone Saga run of Spider-man he did for what, 7 years? He didn't start to lose it until the end of his time with JMS.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Rhyno posted:

Romita Jr's best work (in my opinion) is the post Clone Saga run of Spider-man he did for what, 7 years? He didn't start to lose it until the end of his time with JMS.

I would include the end of the Clone Saga in there as well. Like Spider-Man #75 vs the Goblin with Ben's death.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Push El Burrito posted:

Different body types? Does Stupid Sexy Abomination do anything for you?

Ehh I've seen worse better uhhh.....

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I like JRjr on Daredevil quite a bit and on selected Spider-Man stuff. But not really on anything else. His Superman hurts my soul.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I was mixed on his Eternals. His people looked passing strange, but his Celestials looked loving amazing.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Lobok posted:

I would include the end of the Clone Saga in there as well. Like Spider-Man #75 vs the Goblin with Ben's death.

It's been too long since I read it to say for sure if that was a good comic, but if nothing else, it was a very well drawn comic. Romita doesn't usually do it for me, but when he's on, he's on.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Growing up I was the only one in any comic shop who didn't like Romita Jr's work. To this day I don't, except his really early stuff like the beginning of his work on Claremont's X-Men.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I generally liked JRJR on Thor but mainly for the story with Thanos and Mangog at the end. That looked cool.

It's a bit odd going back to stuff like his Iron Man run with Michelinie and Layton or his first Spidey run with Stern, because his work then is a lot closer to his dad's style; I think the JRJR we're used to mainly developed when he was on X-Men in the early 80s.

Is he the most prolific Marvel artist after Kirby? I think the only major book he's never pencilled as regular artist is FF.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Jul 21, 2017

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

goatface posted:

It looks pretty good when not zoomed in, I think, in part because Ultimate Hulk is meant to be an unsettling id monster rather than a hero.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Like, it would be horribly off model for standard Hulk but drawing him all messed up reminds the audience that Ultimate Hulk was an uglier and more pathetic take on the character.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
I'm not always the biggest JRJR fan, but he is absolutely in my top tier Punisher artists. Really, since he got away from Millar, I've enjoyed his art more recently. It feels less stifled.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
I used to hate JRJR's work. All blocky and square-nosed and hatched.

But I also used to feel the same about Kirby and his square fingers and single tooth mouths.

Not to compare JRJR to Kirby, but the two are quite similar in that their work is instantly recognizable, that they have a unique style, and that it takes some time (maturity?) to appreciate their work.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
If you wanted to be the first with this tattoo you're too late:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wheat Loaf posted:

I generally liked JRJR on Thor but mainly for the story with Thanos and Mangog at the end. That looked cool.

It's a bit odd going back to stuff like his Iron Man run with Michelinie and Layton or his first Spidey run with Stern, because his work then is a lot closer to his dad's style; I think the JRJR we're used to mainly developed when he was on X-Men in the early 80s.

Is he the most prolific Marvel artist after Kirby? I think the only major book he's never pencilled as regular artist is FF.

His style did look like his dad's early on but, and I only just learned this,

Wikipedia posted:

From 1988 to 1990, Romita had an extended stint on Daredevil with writer Ann Nocenti and inker Al Williamson, which included the creation of long-running Daredevil nemesis Typhoid Mary. For Romita himself, his stint on Daredevil was most significant for being both the first time he was allowed to do full pencils instead of just breakdowns

So his style wasn't even allowed to fully shine through until after his first runs on Amazing Spider-Man and Iron Man.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I didn't know that but it makes sense. I imagine Layton, for instance, would've done a lot on Iron Man as inker.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Backup in Bug: The Adventures of Forager #3 by James Harvey. The second page isn't the easiest to follow, but :allears:

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
As awesome as the layout and the artwork is, I find it kind of hard to read all that is going on there.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Fotosdecomics/status/890067976602439682

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Vince Mcmahon!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Backup in Bug: The Adventures of Forager #3 by James Harvey. The second page isn't the easiest to follow, but :allears:

This is incredible, and extremely my poo poo.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
If you like that Midnight story, here is a blog post I did with a history of the character and how he was created to be an emergency backup Spirit in case Will Eisner died in WWII

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Aww. I was hoping the old character had that weird block nose.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
Yeah, that's a really interesting and specific design element to add if it's not part of the original character. Midnight really was just the Spirit in a black suit, though one element from the comic is that it was a reversible suit, so that it was blue with pinstripes on one side, and when he needed to go into action, he flipped it inside out to reveal the black side. (A lot of times, his black suit was just colored blue, so he looks basically exactly like the Spirit). I like the update of a light-sensitive vanta-black suit.

There are a couple of changes in the new version, like his real name is different, plus Doc Wackey and Gabby are dead (booo)[edit: also getting rid of the vacuum gun, double booo]. Still, a cool character to bring back. I hope they do more stories with him.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I ran across this earlier.

Wonder Woman by Takeshi Miyazawa. It's lovely.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Big fan of that hair and the detail on her sword and lasso.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Batman continues to have weird proportions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Gaunab posted:

Batman continues to have weird proportions

More like Squatman, amirite?