Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Meridian posted:

So what is everybody playing tonight?

DCS. Gotta go fast — Viggen fast.
Also got to figure out how to program that silly analogue computer it has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

what's wrong with squirrels

They eat wires in cars and eat holes in roofs.

They will also eat the wires to your house.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

quote:

billions of kilometers of space and millions of square kilometers of landmass

:thunk:

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Tippis posted:

DCS. Gotta go fast — Viggen fast.
Also got to figure out how to program that silly analogue computer it has.

Tell me more.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

spacetoaster posted:

They eat wires in cars and eat holes in roofs.

They will also eat the wires to your house.

Haha dude your squirrels suck. Over here we got these red cute little monsters:

Never heard of one so much as nibbling a wire, they're pretty chill

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Haha dude your squirrels suck. Over here we got these red cute little monsters:

Never heard of one so much as nibbling a wire, they're pretty chill

Good for you. :shrug:

I can't imagine red squirrels don't cause damage though. They are still tree rats.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

ManofManyAliases posted:

I intend to go all the way. See, 'thatguy' thinks I'm 'brokebrained' but I'm just realizing that anything said about CIG in a positive light is simply refuted on the overall foundation of bias, plus mock senses of altruism, business acumen, etc. Lot's of arm-chairing going on all over here and reddit.

You've already played your "I can't really talk to you here because of horrible bias and everybody is rude" card before. You are good at what you do though, I'll give you that. :)

We also have more in common too, in that neither of us are backers or players of Star Citizen. We should team up like a voltron. :)

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

ModernSociety posted:

The Sandworm is turning.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Thoatse posted:

Not true! Even huge ships in SC have lovely noclip balsawood physics that make them fly like hummingbirds on crack comically performing instant +/-20g maneuvers. The 'flight model' was the first huge bait and switch of the game imo. Once they hit the 40-60mil mark they went from 'niche game to revive a niche genre' wooing the sim crowd to 'too big to fail' and continue adjusting flight towards a 6dof fps slanted to mkb at the expense of the sim they pitched, complete with boost-strafe juking. Catering to the lowest common denominator mkb fps masterrace drones that heard all the commotion and jumped on board but really want another arcade game but are fine with the fact that this comes at the expense of the sim concept that made it popular in the first place but now vastly outnumber the og's. Result? +/-20g noclip flight model and 2000+ page threadnaughts from disenfranchised original/veteran backers that bought in once crobbler told them to dust off their joysticks lol, who at the time represented some 70% of the playerbase. They were the first wave under the bus.

The biggest ship in SC has more cartoonishly powerful acceleration than even the littlest ship even should have... and it makes the only potentially salvageable part of the game hot loving garbage.

I'm still amazed that more backers haven't revolted on this concept alone. It literally never comes up any more, and it looks to me like CIG and the remaining cultists are doing what they can to memory hole the original intent.

In fact the only part of this I'll debate is intent. I don't think CIG abandoned the original backers in favor of lowest-common-denominator mkb players - I think CIG didn't have the knowledge or talent to make a proper space sim with CR at the helm, so they made a lovely flight model, then retroactively played it off as intentionally catering to an evolving playerbase.

CIG is the cat that walks away from every accidental fall with head held high and a look of "I meant to do that".

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Thoatse posted:

Not true! Even huge ships in SC have lovely noclip balsawood physics that make them fly like hummingbirds on crack comically performing instant +/-20g maneuvers. The 'flight model' was the first huge bait and switch of the game imo. Once they hit the 40-60mil mark they went from 'niche game to revive a niche genre' wooing the sim crowd to 'too big to fail' and continue adjusting flight towards a 6dof fps slanted to mkb at the expense of the sim they pitched, complete with boost-strafe juking. Catering to the lowest common denominator mkb fps masterrace drones that heard all the commotion and jumped on board but really want another arcade game but are fine with the fact that this comes at the expense of the sim concept that made it popular in the first place but now vastly outnumber the og's. Result? +/-20g noclip flight model and 2000+ page threadnaughts from disenfranchised original/veteran backers that bought in once crobbler told them to dust off their joysticks lol, who at the time represented some 70% of the playerbase. They were the first wave under the bus.

The biggest ship in SC has more cartoonishly powerful acceleration than even the littlest ship even should have... and it makes the only potentially salvageable part of the game hot loving garbage.

My Starfarer turned on a dime lol, it was super loving dumb. Good thing they gave it a soft nerf by making sure you could never loving see out of it.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Daztek posted:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/16026-Q-A-Tumbril-Cyclone

:thunk:

:confused:

Also MoMA is answering Tumbril Q&A questions for some reason, slow refund day???

This is secret code for "when your avatar becomes the jeep, we have no idea how to make shots interact with your player model properly". So the jeep gets a magic shield that protects everybody "inside" it.

I think GTA does it just like this too... oh no wait, you can actually shoot and be shot though the glass of the car. But that's just Rockstar, who is almost as good as CIG, and a filthy console peasant game at that.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Propagandist posted:

Sanduary
Pledguary
Smartch
Paypril
Cray
Goons
[redacted, month not found]
CITIZENCONZITISENCONCINITEZCON
Stimtember
Huxtober
Lesnember
B'Tember

e:

A good post. :3:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Meridian posted:

Tell me more.

Feast your eyes on that massive 6-digit display. The separate input and output modes. Those dedicated multi-purpose waypoint/offset/target point/landing point buttons. The IO mode dial.

Oh, and you use this thing to input latitude and longitude coordinates; zone-specific weather, pressure, and desired approach angle data; airport ILS and runway data; flight speeds and target times; and you set targeting mode bits for HUD cues.

Yummier than a pizza without pineapple.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jul 27, 2017

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

spacetoaster posted:

I can't imagine red squirrels don't cause damage though. They are still tree rats.

I mean I'm sure they could if they wanted to, but I've certainly never heard of it. Apparently there was a very good pine cone harvest in 2007 so in 2008 some attics got infested?
that's all I got from a quick google

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

The Titanic posted:

You've already played your "I can't really talk to you here because of horrible bias and everybody is rude" card before. You are good at what you do though, I'll give you that. :)

We also have more in common too, in that neither of us are backers or players of Star Citizen. We should team up like a voltron. :)

No, but I truly am a backer and I do play on occasion (although not as often as I'd like because I'm terribly busy at work).

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Tippis posted:

Feast your eyes on that massive 6-digit display. The separate input and output modes. Those dedicated multi-purpose waypoint/offset/target point/landing point buttons. The IO mode dial.

Oh, and you use this thing to input latitude and longitude coordinates; zone-specific weather, pressure, and desired approach angle data; airport ILS and runway data; flight speeds and target times; and you set targeting mode bits for HUD cues.

gently caress me but that's one selection of extremely sexy switches

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

The Titanic posted:

You can steal mine. It's worth almost nothing!

Kayak is high test goon valor, I already stole it.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I mean I'm sure they could if they wanted to, but I've certainly never heard of it. Apparently there was a very good pine cone harvest in 2007 so in 2008 some attics got infested?
that's all I got from a quick google

Yeah, It doesn't happen (damage from squirrels) but every few years. I think it has to do with overpopulation (which is why I cull them every few years).

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

Scruffpuff posted:

I'm still amazed that more backers haven't revolted on this concept alone. It literally never comes up any more, and it looks to me like CIG and the remaining cultists are doing what they can to memory hole the original intent.

In fact the only part of this I'll debate is intent. I don't think CIG abandoned the original backers in favor of lowest-common-denominator mkb players - I think CIG didn't have the knowledge or talent to make a proper space sim with CR at the helm, so they made a lovely flight model, then retroactively played it off as intentionally catering to an evolving playerbase.

CIG is the cat that walks away from every accidental fall with head held high and a look of "I meant to do that".

It's this but it wasn't even about having no talent, they just kept building crap on top of the crytek-made proof of concept, to show progress in videos then eventually released that as 2.x.

It was a scam a long time ago, and at the same time the backers are right about development of the 'game' not starting until 2017.

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009

This is in star citizen? Isn't it the year of our lord 3000 or something?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

ManofManyAliases posted:

No, but I truly am a backer and I do play on occasion (although not as often as I'd like because I'm terribly busy at work).

Hi Cymelion! What's your favorite part of playing Star Citizen?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

big nipples big life posted:

Kayak is high test goon valor, I already stole it.

it is a good thread

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Kellanved posted:

This is in star citizen? Isn't it the year of our lord 3000 or something?

Nah. It's the year of our Olof Palme, 1973.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Tippis posted:

Holy moley.

I would like to stream some vidya games but I don't know what I want to play. We could keep rolling on X-COM. I think we're getting toward the end of the campaign. Whether it is going to be a victory or not is tough to say. I was also thinking about chilling out with some Stardew Valley or something. I am paralyzed by indecision!

Theotus fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jul 27, 2017

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

I don't get it, what is this and what are you trying to do with it? Is this just in this 'DCS' game and you can fully make it do whatever you want, within reason? Like "building calculator inside Minecraft" level of customization?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

spacetoaster posted:

California here... squirrels here are fine, worst they do is fill a wall with acorns and the raccoons where I live are cool and good, though they have enough habitat not to be in conflict even though I live in a city. As such, we happily coexist though my cat takes swipes at them when he's out on his leash which honestly is p amusing. Never once have I seen them getting in our trash or loving with anything other than foraging the local fruit (loquat, plum, fig, blackberry) and digging up earthworms up in the yards. We have opossum here too that are chill and just do their thing too. Did you know an adult opossum eats up to 4000 ticks in a week? Lots of rats and mice too, but as long as they aren't coming inside I don't trip catto often reminds them who's yard it is.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Got it. Batman.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Meridian posted:

Holy moley.

I would like to stream some vidya games but I don't know what I want to play. We could keep rolling on X-COM. I think we're getting toward the end of the campaign. Whether it is going to be a victory or not is tough to say. I was also thinking about chilling out with some Stardew Valley or something. I am paralyzed by indecision!

Oh No!, when he is paralyzed is when the streaming starts - Wet weather gear required.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Thoatse posted:

California here... squirrels here are fine, worst they do is fill a wall with acorns and the raccoons where I live are cool and good, though they have enough habitat not to be in conflict even though I live in a city. As such, we happily coexist though my cat takes swipes at them when he's out on his leash which honestly is p amusing. Never once have I seen them getting in our trash or loving with anything other than foraging the local fruit (loquat, plum, fig, blackberry) and digging up earthworms up in the yards. We have opossum here too that are chill and just do their thing too. Did you know an adult opossum eats up to 4000 ticks in a week? Lots of rats and mice too, but as long as they aren't coming inside I don't trip catto often reminds them who's yard it is.

That's cool. I live more in the country and rabies exists here and I have seen it in some animals.

You only have to see a rabies infected raccoon one time to be intolerant of them being around your home and children.

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug

Beet Wagon posted:

Come on now, let's not get into ridiculous conspiracy theories...

oh my dog

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

I like that the zero button was added as an afterthought. Swedes use the mathematical system of their ancestors in Ancient Rome by the looks of it :sweden:

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Tell us more about your squirrel kill count.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

spacetoaster posted:

Reds are entirely arboreal and don't get on with humans. Unfortunately Red females get the grey fever, and the greys are more aggressively tree-ratty, but european squirrels are a lot less rear end in a top hat than American squirrels.

I still like trash pandas, but the same was as all my wildlife, outside and away from my stuff.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
If you aren't running around your yard chasing after rodents and pests with a katana then you're dishonorable.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

I was thinking the same, also I'v been wondering.

How do they release a " part " of a system. Like will they be having glas barriers?
How will they fill the void where the planet should be.

Think of it as a mod, which is very much pretty much the maximum capabilities of their programming team. All of these mods may never really fully tie together, but that's the CIG money manufacturing way.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

thatguy posted:

If you aren't running around your yard chasing after rodents and pests with a katana then you're dishonorable.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

toanoradian posted:

I don't get it, what is this and what are you trying to do with it? Is this just in this 'DCS' game and you can fully make it do whatever you want, within reason? Like "building calculator inside Minecraft" level of customization?

DCS — Digital Combat Simulator — is essentially a flight simulator framework (with some simplified ground combat logic added in as well).

The main developer of that framework, along with a bunch of third-party houses, create modules that take advantage of that foundation, with each module providing a detailed simulation of a particular aircraft (there's also a whole bunch of simplified-model aircraft — essentially hand-me-downs from an earlier sim — but no-one really does those any more). That particular bit is the data panel of the Central Kalkylator 37 from the AJS-37 Viggen module, simulating (drumroll) the '70s-era Swedish ground-attack/anti-shipping AJS-37.

What I'm trying to do with it is learn how to use it. Playing DCS tends to fall into one of two categories: system geekery and process execution. Either you're diving headlong into the maze of switches and panels and gauges and trying to get your head around how they all tie together, or you just learn what you need, and try to actually turn all of that into something that might resemble flying in a hostile environment. It lacks the dynamic war:ness of its main competitor, but it makes up for it by having that modular breadth instead.

It gets mentioned around here a lot because it is something that citizens believe they're getting, but unlike SC, DCS is an actual simulator. The word “fidelity” has a meaning here.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

I throw peanuts in my backyard sometimes, and squirrels eat them.

I really want my own audience of crows or ravens. I've heard they'll bring gifts of things they find in exchange for throwing out a peanut for them. Like coins, found jewelry, and other trinkets. They've apparently even learned how to rob car wash vending machines to exchange coins for food.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Hav posted:

Reds are entirely arboreal and don't get on with humans. Unfortunately Red females get the grey fever, and the greys are more aggressively tree-ratty, but european squirrels are a lot less rear end in a top hat than American squirrels.

I still like trash pandas, but the same was as all my wildlife, outside and away from my stuff.

I've got a family of grey squirrels and a family of hedgehogs living in my garden, they are all pretty chill and seem to coexist with each other quite happily and are not bothered by me stomping around either. I do have to watch my step if I go out there at night though as the hogs are pretty fearless and even inquisitive and end up bumbling around on the path to the door. :)

XK posted:

I really want my own audience of crows or ravens. I've heard they'll bring gifts of things they find in exchange for throwing out a peanut for them. Like coins, found jewelry, and other trinkets. They've apparently even learned how to rob car wash vending machines to exchange coins for food.

A friend of mine has a raven that he leaves peanuts out for and I can confirm that the raven has often left shiney pebbles, sections of silver jewelry chain and the odd coin for him, ravens are the most intelligent bird species iirc.

Sabreseven fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jul 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

spacetoaster posted:

That's cool. I live more in the country and rabies exists here and I have seen it in some animals.

You only have to see a rabies infected raccoon one time to be intolerant of them being around your home and children.

Rabies exists here too, and just like where you live outbreaks don't happen in a vacuum. Everyone in the area will know about it except the first statistically unlikely person to stumble on it. To always be on Defcon 1 expecting to be that first person is paranoid and silly almost to the level of silly that thinking Start Citizen could possibly ever live up to its hype.

I've seen rabies infested animals and even know someone that got bit by a rabid dog someone put in the back of a truck he was riding in (saved his life actually, he had undiagnosed staff infection from a nosering approaching his brain when he went in!) and also have a kid. I still don't have an irrational fear of these animals and haven't instilled that fear into my son. We're the invaders, not them...