Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

quote:

Also, it’s important to remember that the scope of the game has increased greatly since the original crowdfunding campaign. ... all of it leading to billions of kilometers of space and millions of square kilometers of landmass to explore, all rendered in detail that matches the most detailed 1st person games that only have to worry about a few dozen kilometers of playable area.

A couple interesting things here. As someone pointed out a while ago when CIG began boasting about the size of their universe, they continually seem to use the wrong unit of measurement for the amount of "space" in the game. Using a 1 dimensional unit such as km when they should be describing volume (cubic meters). It seems even more intentional and deceptive since he uses the correct unit immedately after to describe area of landmass.

The second thing is that the 100 star systems were PART of the greatly increased scope, which also came along with the promise that these things would get done sooner. So it really makes no sense to use that as an excuse for why they wont meet those goals at launch, or provide any real estimate of how long it should take.

The third thing is the devs promising that their planets / moons / even empty space will some how be as detailed as the most detailed FPS games, which are orders of magnitude smaller and less technically complex than an MMO. Additionally, the total disk space for Star Citizen is already on par with current gen FPS games, while being pathetically empty (they dont even have 1/100th of the promised solar systems available, no npc's, tons of missing ships and vehicles, etc...) If any one is taking this claim seriously you'd have to expect the "finished" star citizen to be in the 10's or even 100s of terabytes in size.

Nicholas fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jul 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

My friend works with a guy who got tired of armadillos tearing up his lawn so he busted up a bunch of liquor bottles and poured the glass down their holes. Drunk Bob is a treasure trove of fun stories like that.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sabreseven posted:

I've got a family of grey squirrels and a family of hedgehogs living in my garden, they are all pretty chill and seem to coexist with each other quite happily and are not bothered by me stomping around either. I do have to watch my step if I go out there at night though as the hogs are pretty fearless and even inquisitive and end up bumbling around on the path to the door. :)

A friend of mine has a raven that he leaves peanuts out for and I can confirm that the raven has often left shiney pebbles, sections of silver jewelry chain and the odd coin for him, ravens are the most intelligent bird species iirc.

Corvids are known for their ability to plan, can count, recognize people and teach other corvids. There was an intelligence test that they designed to use a bunch of weighted rocks to release food pellets, but one of the crows figured out how to use a stick to jam open the mechanism and started to teach other crows.

They had to remove the crow as he was skewing the experiment.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

XK posted:

I throw peanuts in my backyard sometimes, and squirrels eat them.

I really want my own audience of crows or ravens. I've heard they'll bring gifts of things they find in exchange for throwing out a peanut for them. Like coins, found jewelry, and other trinkets. They've apparently even learned how to rob car wash vending machines to exchange coins for food.

I had a raven that I raised from a chick to an adult that reintegrated into the wild. Found a nest that blew out of a super tall palm tree, 2 dead babies and one still hopping. No flight feathers yet, still 3/4 protected by the sheaths that make it look like some kind of retarded hedgehog. Found it in the middle of the night so gave it a cup of water and a shirt to wrap up in and went to bed. Next morning he saw me and started stalking me so I gave him some bread and water. Parents were nearby squawking their heads off but the nest was gone and him too big to be put back by them anyhow, about the size of a pigeon. Named him Isaac after Newton's apple.

Looked up on the internet to see what I was getting myself into and turns out they're very easy to deal with as they eat anything. Made him a box with some palm leaves from his tree and away we went. Probably had him for 4 months but it seems like so much longer because the first 2 had me up all night keeping him happy and he had so much personality. First taught him 'step ups', then got him gliding to my arm from higher perches and eventually he could fly. Once he was nimble enough do dodge cats I would let him loose in the neighborhood during the day and he'd come back a few times and make 'hungry wings' at me (from day one he'd throw back his head, squawk and shake his wings when he was hungry) for eats and then at night to sleep, where he would happily stay put on the perch I made for him on top of my washtub bass. From the step ups and beyond, I used the same call sound so once he could fly he was already trained to come to my call and he listened surprisingly well.

Was so rad when I'd be out talking to a neighbor with no idea I had a raven friend and I'd see him fly over a few hundred feet up and call him. He'd go into a steep spiral right down to my arm like a loving falcon :v: ...which would freak out whoever I was talking to cause he had at least a 4 foot span by that point. He would hang out of my shoulder, traveled well and got along great with my dog and would play with him, though my dog was a bit leary after the testicle incident where Isaac honked his nuts. Also got one of his nips (pitbull nips can be seen from space) but they would play so loving rad despite their body language barrier. Watching them exchange their versions of zoomies was the best, or when Isaac would grab meat chunks from his stash in the hole in the fence and feed them to my dog.

I miss that bird (and that dog) and hope he's living a good bird life wherever he is.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Hav posted:

Corvids are known for their ability to plan, can count, recognize people and teach other corvids. There was an intelligence test that they designed to use a bunch of weighted rocks to release food pellets, but one of the crows figured out how to use a stick to jam open the mechanism and started to teach other crows.

They had to remove the crow as he was skewing the experiment.

:lol: Good crow :)

xXAdmiralBekHarXx
Jul 11, 2017

by zen death robot
Keep your testicle biting flying rat away from me

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Nicholas posted:

A couple interesting things here. As someone pointed out a while ago when CIG began boasting about the size of their universe, they continually seem to use the wrong unit of measurement for the amount of "space" in the game. Using a 1 dimensional unit such as km when they should be describing volume (cubic meters). It seems even more intentional and deceptive since he uses the correct unit immedately after to describe area of landmass.

The second thing is that the 100 star systems were PART of the greatly increased scope, which also came along with the promise that these things would get done sooner. So it really makes no sense to use that as an excuse for why they wont meet those goals at launch, or provide any real estimate of how long it should take.

The third thing is the devs promising that their planets / moons / even empty space will some how be as detailed as the most detailed FPS games, which are orders of magnitude smaller and less technically complex than an MMO.

The technical term for the reasons why they said those things is "Squirming". :D

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Does that hobo still work for them doing their live streams?

radd
Jun 16, 2001

Super Spacefortress
Tonight we're gonna party like it's 1599.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOfZLb33uCg

Kromlech
Jun 28, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
That wad a rad loving raven story, you should post it in the game of thrones thread.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Thoatse posted:

Heartwarming birb related stuff

:shobon:

Interesting common raven related fact : In captivity and when properly cared for, their lifespans have been reported to be anything up to 70 years, although there has been an anecdotal report of one hitting 80.

Sabreseven fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jul 27, 2017

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Nicholas posted:

Using a 1 dimensional unit such as km when they should be describing volume (cubic meters).

The use of the one dimensional unit is so weird, it was originally noted and commented on in this thread, and then mostly left alone. Like, what can you really say about a totally incorrect use of units, beyond initially pointing it out. It's just so dumb that not much can be said about it.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Thoatse posted:

Rabies exists here too, and just like where you live outbreaks don't happen in a vacuum. Everyone in the area will know about it except the first statistically unlikely person to stumble on it. To always be on Defcon 1 expecting to be that first person is paranoid and silly almost to the level of silly that thinking Start Citizen could possibly ever live up to its hype.

I've seen rabies infested animals and even know someone that got bit by a rabid dog someone put in the back of a truck he was riding in (saved his life actually, he had undiagnosed staff infection from a nosering approaching his brain when he went in!) and also have a kid. I still don't have an irrational fear of these animals and haven't instilled that fear into my son. We're the invaders, not them...

Ok. Sorry for my transgressions.

Forgive me chris...

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

Come on now, let's not get into ridiculous conspiracy theories...

Nice setup Kayak. Your human did good.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Meridian posted:

So what is everybody playing tonight?

Echo Arena/Space Pirate Trainer/Elite D/Lightblade(lightsabers, ftw!).. maybe some Dirt Rally or Assetto Corsa

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Hi Cymelion! What's your favorite part of playing Star Citizen?

Nipplejets

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

the #1 spreader of rabies tends to be bats and if you wiped them out it would be an environmental and economic disaster as bug populations would spiral out of control and eat all the plant life. plus if you are bitten by a rabid animal there are shots for that and have been for quite awhile

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

I want a whole crew of corvids. A bag of peanuts is like $3. Do my bidding, and bring me lost gems. Well worth it.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Pretty good choice, Cymelion!

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

spacetoaster posted:

Ok. Sorry for my transgressions.

Forgive me chris...

Say five hail Sandis and reaffirm that you accept Christ Roberts into your heart and all will be forgiven. Once you are up to date on your tithing.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Meridian posted:

I stopped my sims 4 set up because I realized what I wanted to do with it just wouldn't work

instead I'm working on something that should be near ready before gamescom or 2 weeks, whichever is first

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

XK posted:

I want a whole crew of corvids. A bag of peanuts is like $3. Do my bidding, and bring me lost gems. Well worth it.
You can have a scold, a mischief, a murder, a parliament, an unkindness, a ballet, a clattering, or a train but no crew.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
and since I didn't want to stream anything or do a lengthy lets play, this is probably the better choice (not easier or cheaper tho)

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

big nipples big life posted:

Lethality is right though, the upvote/downvote system is fundamentally garbage. reddit was poo poo before it ever left the drawing board.

This, except you forgot how lovely tree threads are for any kind of discussion

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

TheAgent posted:

I stopped my sims 4 set up because I realized what I wanted to do with it just wouldn't work

instead I'm working on something that should be near ready before gamescom or 2 weeks, whichever is first

blueballs of the highest fidelity

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Thoatse posted:

Say five hail Sandis and reaffirm that you accept Christ Roberts into your heart and all will be forgiven. Once you are up to date on your tithing.

How many packages do I need to buy?

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Percelus posted:

the #1 spreader of rabies tends to be bats and if you wiped them out it would be an environmental and economic disaster as bug populations would spiral out of control and eat all the plant life. plus if you are bitten by a rabid animal there are shots for that and have been for quite awhile

Fun fact, bats often carry rabies without symptoms because of their body temperature. The reason you run a temperature when you get sick is because infectious diseases have tightly constrained temperature ranges where they efficiently reproduce. Go out of the ranges by even a few degrees, and your immune system will have an easier time clearing out the invader. So, getting a 103F fever is a big deal for your immune system clearing out a flu. That's the entire reason you get fevers.

The rabies virus is well oriented to survive in bats fairly passively. Bats have something like 105-110F body temperature, which limits the rabies virus. When it gets into a mammal with a 98.6F temperature, it runs amuck.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

spacetoaster posted:

How many packages do I need to buy?

69 Completionists

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Ghostlight posted:

You can have a scold, a mischief, a murder, a parliament, an unkindness, a ballet, a clattering, or a train but no crew.

A group bringing heisted valuables is a crew. It's like the movie Heat, but in corvid form.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Meridian posted:

Just finished a few Hours of War Thunder with my buddies... Tank Realistic Battles so much fun

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Thoatse posted:

69 Completionists

Here's the cash:

Here's the hail Sandi's:

Do I need to make an offering to "The LOAF"?

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

nawledgelambo posted:

blueballs of the highest fidelity
I think derek and bootcha will beat me to releasing whatever information they have but I think y'all will enjoy what I will have more

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Posting on the 1600.

e: tane

Kromlech
Jun 28, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
1600 reeeeeeeeeeee

Kromlech fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jul 27, 2017

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

i know what none of the reveals will be

development of star citizen is not only fine but ahead of schedule and under budget

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Posing on page White House.

Mainly because I got too occupied trying to find the best DCS illustration for that previous post ever to actually play the darn thing… :suicide:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

The Glumslinger posted:

This, except you forgot how lovely tree threads are for any kind of discussion

yeah, tree display is awful, there is no way to have a conversation so reddit is youtube comments in a fedora

beep_boop
Feb 2, 2016
Wow, 1600, can you believe it?

Star Citizen is going to be great in 2 weeks!

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

a leather fedora?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers
https://twitter.com/SandiGardiner/status/889978473279873024

I'm the FOV set at 60, my PSVR headset achieves higher than that.