Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
whats ur poison
beer (american piss)
beer (hipster craft poo poo)
beer (german wheat beer)
beer (blonde)
beer (brown (belgian)
white wine
red wine
whiskey
vodka
other liquor
my tears after a long day of programming
piss
water
gas
View Results

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvVtw2PKCyY

this video mentions the methanol/ethanol thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Lyon posted:

i have generally accounted for alcohol % in this anecdotal story

nah

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

most recently happened with all beers below 5%, a couple of sessions ipas, some goses, and a couple of low abv wild ales. the only strong beer was a 500ml bottle that got split six ways.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
you drank too much and didn't realize it because you were drinking. that's how drinking works

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
what i am saying is that if i drank an equal number of bud lights, which would be roughly the same average alcohol content, i doubt i would have been (nearly as) hungover. also i know exactly how much i drank because it was a byob event and i only drank from the cooler of beers that i brought.

it could very well be 100% in my head but are you completely confident in disregarding the differences in malt bills, yeast strains, hops, and brewing process with regard to hangovers?

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
i'm not some fancy kiwi pharmacist but yes, yes i am

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

echinopsis posted:

is there a cocktail where the bartender drops his cock and / or balls into the drink before he serves it. perhaps he dips his balls in some vermouth and then dips that in a martini glass of gin and and calls it "ginitals"
It's called a Weiner Bomb and it's traditionally used as a palate cleanser after you were foolish enough to drink its Jaegermeister counterpart.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Lyon posted:

also echi is the reason why i can drink my weight in domestic light beers and be fine but if i drink a lesser amount of different craft beers i end up deathly hungover due to the whole different alcohols being produced thing?

if i drink six different craft beers i have a much higher chance of being hung over than i do if drink six of the same craft beer (or double that number of domestic lights).

i have generally accounted for alcohol % in this anecdotal story, in fact most recently it happened with a series of different low abv craft

all I can tell you is what I know from studies etc.. which they showed that end of the day the only factor that made a significant difference is the amount of alcohol drunk

i doubt those studies took into account those different alcohols thing, how would it? and someone else is probably better positioned to make a legit comment on which beers have more of those things, but its probably safe to say the more mass produced a drink, the more stable/steady its production, and probably "cleaner" in that regard. whereas craft beers probably arent run to such a consistent mass produced way and probably more like to have those other alcohols. i dont actually know if theyd affect hangovers but its reasonable to expect they would? this is all educated guess territory and some experience.

i remember drinking some "elderflower champagne" some friends had made. had maybe three glasses? as far as intoxication goes it was barely anything, slight buzz. BUT gently caress was I felt so god drat poo poo and nauseous the next day. the amount of ethanol wasnt the factor here, so what was? some third factor in the drink or probably the poor and inconsistent fermentation that went on producing all sorts of solvents like isopropyl alcohol etc

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Silver Alicorn posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvVtw2PKCyY

this video mentions the methanol/ethanol thing
gross

depending on the still you use youre meant to chuck away the first 50/100mL, because methanol is lighter it distills sooner.
i guess in theory the best possible vodka is literally notihng but ethanol and water

so with stills, there is the angle of thre pipe?? if the pipe tips back down etc it means the vapour is likely to condense and run back into the still and so mostly only "pure" vapour comes out and ends in ya drink, whereas with the pipe pointing down the vapour pours into the drunk quicker and is less "pure", but holds more of the flavour of what the mash was made from. in this context, the mash shouldnt matter in vodka because youre trying to produce the cleanest product possible, taking as much of the inherent flavour of the mash out and ending up with just water/ethanol

but whiskeys etc the mash flavours the distilled product so it matters if its wheat or rye.. and so you dont want it too pure. also end up with more of those other alcohols. oh well

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Stymie posted:

the goal should be eliminating the factors in your life that cause you to seek out self-medication and other avoidant behaviors

you deserve to live your best life and you have the power to make the necessary changes that will put you on a path to self-fulfillment and contentment

"you deserve to be sober so you can focus on doing the things you really want in life. what are the things that you want?"

"to drink."

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news
im 'leroy jenkems'

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

im 'leroy jenkems'

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

maskenfreiheit posted:

why does everyone seem opposed to simply serving real drinks

i want to walk into a bar and have a menu that's like "old fashioned, martini, manhattan", and a whiskey list. maybe throw in some decent craft beers

would that really be so hard?

And you have to wear a fedora.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Knuc U Kinte posted:

And you have to wear a fedora.

way ahead of you buddy

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

echinopsis posted:

"you deserve to be sober so you can focus on doing the things you really want in life. what are the things that you want?"

"to drink."

i know you don't feel this way, but you can live a happy life

you can

you deserve to live a happy life

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
things i get gutted about : my mates go out on the piss but i didn't

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
i'm drinking a nice hot chocolate

pram
Jun 10, 2001

echinopsis posted:

gross

depending on the still you use youre meant to chuck away the first 50/100mL, because methanol is lighter it distills sooner.
i guess in theory the best possible vodka is literally notihng but ethanol and water

so with stills, there is the angle of thre pipe?? if the pipe tips back down etc it means the vapour is likely to condense and run back into the still and so mostly only "pure" vapour comes out and ends in ya drink, whereas with the pipe pointing down the vapour pours into the drunk quicker and is less "pure", but holds more of the flavour of what the mash was made from. in this context, the mash shouldnt matter in vodka because youre trying to produce the cleanest product possible, taking as much of the inherent flavour of the mash out and ending up with just water/ethanol

but whiskeys etc the mash flavours the distilled product so it matters if its wheat or rye.. and so you dont want it too pure. also end up with more of those other alcohols. oh well

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

give me that which i desire

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
great news! I got a different bottle of Bulleit from a different store and it's completely different in a good way.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
tjatsbwwies news

they used to do a bulliet and coke mizeer here. each 330ml can was 3 standard drinks. drinking a 4 pack in an hour was effortless, and god what a mess that resulting in

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep2I3Gf3Sec

wwwwwwednesday night

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
that bitrex poo poo is insane. dip your finger in meths and just taste it. it's hard to imagine how anyone could overcome that bitterness and drink it

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

youtube views are a powerful drugmotivator

duTrieux. fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jul 27, 2017

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Kenny Logins posted:

great news! I got a different bottle of Bulleit from a different store and it's completely different in a good way.

the whole point of blending different barrels in the whiskey is to produce a uniform taste, sounds like they are not doing a very good job

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
bulleit just opened its first disillery like last year, before it was made in a seagrams? factory along with every other 'artisinal' bourbon whiskey

ah here we go http://www.thedailybeast.com/your-craft-whiskey-is-probably-from-a-factory-distillery-in-indiana

quote:

It isn’t just small start-ups using MGP rye. Though Bulleit is owned by drinks behemoth Diageo, the highly touted brand maintains a craft whiskey vibe, especially Bulleit Rye. The brand’s website says that “High rye content has always been the signature of Tom Bulleit’s distinctive bourbon. It was only a matter of time before he created a rye whiskey.” But “creating” isn’t the same thing as “distilling,” and, as Bulleit Rye properly discloses on its back label, the whiskey in the bottle comes from Lawrenceburg, Indiana.
Some of those bottling and branding MGP whiskey make an effort to give the juice some sort of finishing touch to make their product distinctive. George Dickel Rye starts with MGP whiskey but charcoal-filters it before bottling. Angel’s Envy buys Indiana rye, puts it in old rum casks to soak up a little sweetness, and then charges a hefty markup. Others, such as Redemption Rye, present their MGP whiskey as-is.
The prize for the most upfront bottler has to go to Blaum Bros. of Galena, Illinois, which market Knotter—read “not our”—Bourbon with the transparent admission “We didn’t distill this bourbon. Nope, not a drop.”
Templeton Rye, by contrast, has built its successful brand on being a product of Templeton, Iowa. They tell an elaborate story about how their recipe was used by the owner’s family to make illicit whiskey in Iowa during Prohibition, and how that rye had become Al Capone’s favorite hooch. They publish a description of their “Production Process” so detailed it lists the temperature (124 degrees) at which the “rye grain is added to the mash tank.” They brag that they focus their “complete attention on executing each step of the distillation process.” And yet, for all this detail, the official “Production Process” somehow fails to mention that Templeton doesn’t actually do the distilling.
Dig around enough on the Templeton Rye website, and you’ll find acknowledgment that their whiskey is factory-made in Indiana. But clinging to the craft distiller fiction, Templeton does its best to maintain that, rather than taking MGP whiskey off the shelf, they are somehow instructing the manufacturer how to make the juice.

heated game moment fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jul 27, 2017

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Dislike button posted:

bulleit just opened its first disillery like last year, before it was made in a seagrams? factory along with every other 'artisinal' bourbon whiskey

bulleit rye is from the seagrams facility in indiana (aka mgp/ldi) like many other ndp ryes. bulleit bourbon is from kentucky, although they won't say exactly where. for many years it was distilled by four roses (formerly owned by seagrams, now kirin)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol at bourbon

i mean i like bourbon but the few rules it has doesn't exclude poo poo like that at all

jack daniels tour by the way was one of the coolest things we did when visit the US

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
bourbon / whiskey is real good and basically the only kind of liquor i drink. scotch is gross

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

echinopsis posted:

lol at bourbon

i mean i like bourbon but the few rules it has doesn't exclude poo poo like that at all

jack daniels tour by the way was one of the coolest things we did when visit the US

lol "few rules". bourbon is by far the most regulated spirit in the usa

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it's good

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

JewKiller 3000 posted:

lol "few rules". bourbon is by far the most regulated spirit in the usa

technicalities

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
ooh ooh i want to play, let me get my thesaurus and look up other synonyms for "rules"

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i guess i mean, it's like it seems like a lot
of rules but it doesn't stop poo poo being mass produced or garbage or anything

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jack Daniel's is apparently the only whisky distillery in the world that still makes their own barrels, or so their advertising would have me believe, which is kinda cool

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
brown forman makes so much jd that they basically have to do that, nobody else can keep up with production

bourbon is required to be aged in new charred oak barrels, but many whiskies from other countries can be aged in used barrels, so there's also a huge market for ex-bourbon barrels

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
jack daniels owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the tour is worth it

it was also free lol