Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Endorph posted:

the only good final fantasies are x-2 and 13-3

:yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Calaveron posted:

Queen Hotpants Magoo

nah Mr. Magoo was in XV

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Phantasium posted:

nah Mr. Magoo was in XV

goddamn

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Harrow posted:

I wish there had been a bangaa, nu mou, or moogle party member. I guess they might have thought a moogle would be too "silly" for the super-serious late game cutscenes, I dunno. Ivalice moogles are the best, though.

it's dumb. and FFTA2 has a storyline where you stumble across a moogle knight who talks solemnly about how one of his comrades was an insanely powerful mystic who basically drove the third member of their group mad because he was never able to catch up to the mystic's strength no matter how hard he worked, and eventually basically killed himself after the mystic left the group. Lalafell/Tarutaru also aren't really treated as comic relief in their respective games, or at least have plenty of serious plots and characters.

i mean maybe they still thought it'd be too silly but that's not really supported by the texts

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Countblanc posted:

it's dumb. and FFTA2 has a storyline where you stumble across a moogle knight who talks solemnly about how one of his comrades was an insanely powerful mystic who basically drove the third member of their group mad because he was never able to catch up to the mystic's strength no matter how hard he worked, and eventually basically killed himself after the mystic left the group. Lalafell/Tarutaru also aren't really treated as comic relief in their respective games, or at least have plenty of serious plots and characters.

i mean maybe they still thought it'd be too silly but that's not really supported by the texts

What about Nu Mou. I want a Nu Mou hitting poo poo with a war hammer. But FFXII Did Not Pursue Nu Mou.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Emron posted:

What about Nu Mou. I want a Nu Mou hitting poo poo with a war hammer. But FFXII Did Not Pursue Nu Mou.

I thought the only physical nu mou class was the beast master

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Calaveron posted:

I thought the only physical nu mou class was the beast master

They can break the mold. A warrior-rear end Nu Mou shunned by his people for his choice in job, or something. Just give Nu Mou swords!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Nu Mou should have gotten a wise, aged sensei class that uses pole weapons and maybe spears and is more about like, single, thoughtful attacks rather than brawling

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Countblanc posted:

Nu Mou should have gotten a wise, aged sensei class that uses pole weapons and maybe spears and is more about like, single, thoughtful attacks rather than brawling

That's bangaas

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Nu Mou stat growth is just weird in general, like Scholar and Beastmaster both have some of the highest attack growth in the game but neither job learns skills that key off it (nor do their other jobs afaik). Giving Nu Mou a possible Support skill that made magick skills key off physical (and maybe some other minor bonus like making half the MP cost come from HP) would have been cool but they desperately needed something to use those growths on just to mix it up. they definitely didn't need Arcanist. Scholar is sorta cool since it facilitates the "stack elemental absorbing effects" strategy but Arcanist is just buh. Cool sprite though.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Calaveron posted:

That's bangaas

The Master Monk and my proposed old Eeyore with a long white mustache job are completely different!!

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

The nu mou are obviously just moomin and dont have any jobs

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

ROFL Octopus posted:

Nah, Vaan is there because a lot of FF12 is about the small people, and it's no accident that Vaan is the player avatar in cities. He provides the common person's perspective and without that Ashe wouldn't be able to let things go for the bigger picture.

Penelo just has pretty much everything left on the cutting room floor because this is a post Spirits Within final fantasy and development was rough af

I'd be on board with that if the writing for him wasn't so lovely. Like, they'll be having a conversation about Adult Plot Stuff, and suddenly he'll butt in and go "HEY GUYS I'M HERE TOO." Sometimes they acknowledge him, sometimes they just don't, and his dialogue is always hamfisted as hell. It's telling that his main plot thread and character development is literally "why am I even here". The awful English voice actor doesn't help things.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Vaan, is good

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Vaan and Penelo are in FFTA2 so they're probably the best characters in FFXII

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Imagine if the voice actors for Vaan and Balthier were reversed

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Arist posted:

Vaan, is good

vaan should've been a recruit and noah should've killed him instead, and reks was there, and reks was in vaan's place for the rest of the game

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Ashe is Dirge of Cerberus levels of bad fashion design in context

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

You've seen the best of 7 and 8 already and can count those as 'beaten'

Hella bad opinion right here, folks

FF8 has the best ending in the series pre-15, it wraps everything up so nicely you ALMOST forget you just watched a 60 hour fever dream.

I'm partial to 7's ending because back in the day I thought it could be read as very open-ended, and I still do because everything that came out in the compilation of 7 loving sucked, but you have to at least admit it's competent and closes the book.

I mean, count them as beaten, IDGAF, but you owe it to yourself to watch the endings on YouTube at least.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Die Sexmonster! posted:

FF8 has the best ending in the series pre-15, it wraps everything up so nicely you ALMOST forget you just watched a 60 hour fever dream.

You're literally the first person I've ever spoken to who feels this way.

Die Sexmonster! posted:

I'm partial to 7's ending because back in the day I thought it could be read as very open-ended, and I still do because everything that came out in the compilation of 7 loving sucked, but you have to at least admit it's competent and closes the book.

I never said it was bad, but there's not much left on the last disc. If you made it that far you can basically guess everything else that happens. Its optional grinding and bosses and then just the big showdown with sephiroth at the crater.

Die Sexmonster! posted:

I mean, count them as beaten, IDGAF, but you owe it to yourself to watch the endings on YouTube at least.

Yeah and the guy I quoted said he did that so stop overrecting Die Sexmonster :v:

Goons sure love taking things out of context if it makes an easier strawman to argue with and feel superior to.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jul 27, 2017

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Vaan and Penelo are in FFTA2 so they're probably the best characters in FFXII

Also adding a shirt to Vaan somehow almost makes him cool

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
Now if they could eliminate the strange "hands behind head" model stance

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

OneDeadman posted:

Also adding a shirt to Vaan somehow almost makes him cool

It would be ruined as soon as he started speaking :cheeky:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

You've seen the best of 7 and 8 already and can count those as 'beaten'

I actually love the first couple discs of FF8, right up until the orphanage twist. I gave the game another shot a few years back and found myself unable to remember why I hated it so much. I actually had a great time, I found the story really engaging, the characters interesting, the world intriguing. Edea's a fantastic villain. And then I got to the orphanage thing. I remembered that and was ready to write it off as one weird blip in an otherwise good story, but no. It's all downhill from there.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Harrow posted:

I actually love the first couple discs of FF8, right up until the orphanage twist. I gave the game another shot a few years back and found myself unable to remember why I hated it so much. I actually had a great time, I found the story really engaging, the characters interesting, the world intriguing. Edea's a fantastic villain. And then I got to the orphanage thing. I remembered that and was ready to write it off as one weird blip in an otherwise good story, but no. It's all downhill from there.

Exactly. Its got a pretty good teenage anime thing going on and then it just pours on the crazy and mucks it all up.

Course then there's this guy:

Die Sexmonster! posted:

:shrug:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I thought Ultimecia's Castle was a cool final dungeon but I guess a lot of people hate the gimmick

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
ff8 is a series of exciting setpieces that have the great misfortune of having basically no thematic or sensible connection to one another aside from the fact that they happen to be in the same plane of existence as squall

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

ff8 is a series of exciting setpieces that have the great misfortune of having basically no thematic or sensible connection to one another aside from the fact that they happen to be in the same plane of existence as squall

There's a consistent undercurrent of people forgetting their pasts, semi-intentionally. It's not just in the big orphanage twist. Everywhere you go something like this is happening.

What I'm saying is, if you want to enjoy FF8, you need to forget the plot points that preceded whatever you are currently doing.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Help Im Alive posted:

I thought Ultimecia's Castle was a cool final dungeon but I guess a lot of people hate the gimmick

Ultimecia's Castle is way better than most things in VIII. If she herself had more of a character, it be perfect. As it is, it's just a really cool-looking place with great music and a neat gimmick. All the final boss themes are fantastic, too.

The only FF I've made it to the final stretch and then quit was FF2. I got Leon back in my party then wandered off and forgot about the game.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I love 8. It's big and flashy and the set pieces are still exciting and expensive-looking even with PS1 graphics. You can really fly through it if you know how to turn items into spells and junction them. Especially since enc half and enc none are gettable right at the start. You can turn down or off random encounters whenever you want without penalty since everything is level-scaled.

Like, I know how that sounds. "Oh wow, the best part is you get to play less of the game? Sounds like a real winner." But any FF with a maze dungeon or a puzzle that requires you to run between screens would benefit from being able to turn off random encounters, and while other games have enc-none, 8's the only one I know of where you don't have to worry about grinding later to make up for it.

Randallteal fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jul 27, 2017

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down
I want to finish up XV before I move on to XII, I'm at (i think) the last chapter, and I'm just doing some clean up but i can feel the tedium setting in. Is there any absolutely essential stuff, sidequests etc, that i shouldn't miss before I just go and run to the end of the game?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Onmi posted:

Penelo is literally a case of "We had a lot of things written for this character, with her brothers being soldiers who died, and her reasons and poo poo. But we were also super behind schedule and 3 directors in at this point, so we made the choice to cut it and just keep going."

Apparently they reused that plot stuff in RW.

They also gave a lot of her plot to Vaan so he could be the protagonist

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
FF8 is literally FF: High School Anime Drama Edition and it's loving awful sorry.

Hey check out how cool I am I stated my opinion as a fact and maybe I should've gotten rid of the capital letters and punctuation for maximum poo poo post meltdown bait.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Elephant Ambush posted:

FF8 is literally FF: High School Anime Drama Edition and it's loving awful sorry.

Hey check out how cool I am I stated my opinion as a fact and maybe I should've gotten rid of the capital letters and punctuation for maximum poo poo post meltdown bait.
lol

fruitpunch posted:

I want to finish up XV before I move on to XII, I'm at (i think) the last chapter, and I'm just doing some clean up but i can feel the tedium setting in. Is there any absolutely essential stuff, sidequests etc, that i shouldn't miss before I just go and run to the end of the game?
the post-game dungeon is pretty fun imo but that's, uh, post-game

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

fruitpunch posted:

Nothing is missable, most sidequests are empty fetch quests, and some sidequests/content don't become available until after you've beaten the game. If you still haven't left for Altissa theres still several chapters left. If you're actually in the last chapter its a pretty straight run through the ruins of the capital city towards the boss fights with Ifrit and Arydn and you can knock is out really quickly

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i mean, unless you're just there for the eye candy, in which case there are plenty of other games to choose from, ff kinda lives or dies by their characters. i really don't like squall: i don't like his design, i don't like his exasperated facepalm pose, i don't like how he treats the other characters in your party, i don't think he shows enough of a change throughout his arc to be considered anything less than a jerk. like if someone acted like squall does by the end of the game--sure, he's different, but you still probably wouldn't want much to do with someone who acted like that in real life.

maybe he really should've been translated as "... sorry" instead of "... whatever." but even then i wonder if we'd be saying "squall is an ingenuine jerk he's not sorry for anything" because of how they chose to animate his body language

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down

Cinnamon Bear posted:

Nothing is missable, most sidequests are empty fetch quests, and some sidequests/content don't become available until after you've beaten the game. If you still haven't left for Altissa theres still several chapters left. If you're actually in the last chapter its a pretty straight run through the ruins of the capital city towards the boss fights with Ifrit and Arydn and you can knock is out really quickly

cool thanks. I've actually gotten to more or less the last part and used Umbra to do some cleanup but if there's nothing more than fetch quests for me to do now i might as well just make a bee line for the ending!

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
VIII's story was whatever but the cut scenes were (and still are) amazing.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

They also gave a lot of her plot to Vaan so he could be the protagonist

They didn't do a very good job, because he isn't the protagonist in the finished product at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Elephant Ambush posted:

lmao