Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

ABC posted:

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) has claimed that about 70,000 Ford vehicles sold in Australia were fitted with a faulty dual-clutch automatic gearbox.

About half of the Ford Focus, Fiesta and EcoSport vehicles with a PowerShift transmission sold between 2011 and 2016 have required at least one significant repair.

Ford's PowerShift transmission is meant to improve fuel efficiency and provide smoother gear shifts when driving.

But thousands of customers have complained that their cars shudder and jerk when accelerating, suddenly lose power or make a lot of noise.

"The ACCC alleges that Ford misrepresented to customers who made complaints that the issues with their vehicles were caused by the way the driver handled the vehicle, even though Ford was aware of systemic issues with the vehicles from at least 2013," ACCC chairman Rod Sims said.

Some customers took their cars in for repairs up to seven times, but Ford allegedly refused to provide a refund or replacement.

Those drivers who wanted a replacement vehicle were often required to make a payment of about $7,000.

In what Mr Sims described as the most serious allegation, Ford is accused of taking the surrendered vehicles, and re-selling them to unsuspecting new buyers without disclosing the car's transmission issues.

"The ACCC is alarmed about the level of non-compliance with the Australian consumer law in the new car industry," he said.

"Cars are the second-most expensive purchase most consumers will ever make and if they fail to meet a consumer guarantee, people are automatically entitled to a remedy."

Ford vows to fight ACCC's case

The chief executive of Ford Motor Company Australia, Graeme Whickman, said the manufacturer "strongly" rejected the allegations and would challenge them.

"We acknowledge that some customers had a poor experience when the clutch shudder issues on the PowerShift transmission first came to light and we are sorry for this," Mr Whickman said in a statement.

However, the car giant has insisted it provided refunds and replacements in accordance with Australian consumer law.

"We've continued to improve our response times to customers and have been repairing vehicles, compensating customers, and depending on the circumstances, providing full refunds and providing replacement vehicles," Mr Whickman said.

Customers urged to contact Ford

Ford said more than 12,000 customers vehicles had already been upgraded, and the company was continuing to reach out to affected drivers.

Mr Whickman said any customer who has concerns about their vehicle should contact their dealer or Ford Australia directly.

"In light of today's litigation I would encourage consumers to go back to Ford and see if they can get satisfaction," Mr Sims said.

"But if they can't, they should refer the matter to us."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Ford should send the LNP a case of fancy wine to make their problems go away.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Balls of steel reselling defective cars though

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Anidav posted:

Balls of steel reselling defective cars though

Watch them get away with it because rule of law has degraded so badly in Australia.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

DancingShade posted:

Watch them get away with it because rule of law has degraded so badly in Australia.

It's cute that you think it ever existed.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

cohsae posted:

Just a reminder that Shaun Micallef remains a natural treasure and Mad as Hell is top notch.
"Opponents of gay marriage won't support a postal plebiscite, the last thing they want to hear is that they need to stick it in the mail.":golfclap:

#YAYGAY

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

iajanus posted:

It's cute that you think it ever existed.

Point.

Ok the flimsy illusion of rule of law has eroded. Uh, more than before.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
A Gold Coast principal was hoodwinked into hiring out his school hall for a screening of a controversial anti-vaccination documentary, Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk says.

The film, Vaxxed: From Cover-up to Catastrophe, was shown at Miami State High School on Tuesday night, despite the State Government's strong stance in supporting vaccinations.

"My preliminary advice is that there has been some misrepresentation to the school in question," Ms Palaszczuk said.

"They conveyed to the principal that it was to be conveying information about organic produce."

Earlier this month Health Minister Cameron Dick urged residents to boycott the film that has caused controversy by linking a measles-mumps-rubella vaccine to autism.

"We are incredibly strong about the need for people to be vaccinated, especially children," Ms Palaszczuk said.

"I don't think they were very clear in their purpose and I don't think they should have been allowed to present in such a manner."

The incident is being investigated and the Premier is waiting for a full briefing.

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."

Lid posted:

A Gold Coast principal was hoodwinked into hiring out his school hall for a screening of a controversial anti-vaccination documentary, Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk says.

The film, Vaxxed: From Cover-up to Catastrophe, was shown at Miami State High Schoolon Tuesday night, despite the State Government's strong stance in supporting vaccinations.

"My preliminary advice is that there has been some misrepresentation to the school in question," Ms Palaszczuk said.

"They conveyed to the principal that it was to be conveying information about organic produce."

Earlier this month Health Minister Cameron Dick urged residents to boycott the film that has caused controversy by linking a measles-mumps-rubella vaccine to autism.

"We are incredibly strong about the need for people to be vaccinated, especially children," Ms Palaszczuk said.

"I don't think they were very clear in their purpose and I don't think they should have been allowed to present in such a manner."

The incident is being investigated and the Premier is waiting for a full briefing.

Worst state in the USA, in the worse state in AUS?

Further proof that Qld is the worst

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

X13Fen posted:

Worst state in the USA, in the worse state in AUS?

Further proof that Qld is the worst

QLD is our equivalent of the Deep South of the USA, so yeah.

Has anyone put their hand up for being OP for next month's thread? I wouldn't mind trying it out if there's no one else.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
lol Jay Weatherill called Chris Kenny a right wing fuckwit and the Libs and the Oz are getting mad about it :qq:

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Solemn Sloth posted:

lol Jay Weatherill called Chris Kenny a right wing fuckwit and the Libs and the Oz are getting mad about it :qq:

I'm really liking Weatherill lately.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

You Am I posted:

QLD is our equivalent of the Deep South of the USA, so yeah.

Has anyone put their hand up for being OP for next month's thread? I wouldn't mind trying it out if there's no one else.

I second You Am I's claim to the OP

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Senor Tron posted:

I'm really liking Weatherill lately.

:same:

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

Solemn Sloth posted:

the hero we need and deserve

bonus points if he goes "okay, I'll apologise" and then says something like "I apologise for calling Chris Kenny a right wing fuckwit. This is an inaccuracy, he's a right wing dogfucker".

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The best part is he was at a private function. These loving losers will do anything to attack him, but South Australians are loving their premier that has just cracked the shits at the feds and everyone else shitcanning SA. Good on him.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Jesus christ the Arsetralian is a lovely rag. Scomo sent us a speech, here's excerpts from the contents with no analysis.

No mouthpiece, no mouthpiece, you're the mouthpiece.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

hooman posted:

Jesus christ the Arsetralian is a lovely rag. Scomo sent us a speech, here's excerpts from the contents with no analysis.

No mouthpiece, no mouthpiece, you're the mouthpiece.

Yesterday's centerpiece hun editorial was "why the hun and news corp is fantastic and every other outlet with international backing and money is evil and also making news corp noncompetitive".

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Symons has brain injury. Is this news? [ABC]

Don't let the headline fool you. The most vomit inducing performance from a federal pollie for some time. J Bishop defends our human rights record. Need to download the audio unfortunately [ABC]

How low can we go? QLD plumbs even its depths to exploit school kids. [ABC]

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Mattjpwns posted:

the hero we need and deserve

bonus points if he goes "okay, I'll apologise" and then says something like "I apologise for calling Chris Kenny a right wing fuckwit. This is an inaccuracy, he's a right wing dogfucker".

Mark McGowan needs to lift his game. He's been doing a pretty convincing Shorten impersonation lately - that or he's been kidnapped by a cartel and they're trying to keep it on the DL.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I get why Di Natale's dunking so hard on Canavan right now but shouldn't he also try making a case for his senators?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
NSW abandons remaining council mergers

lol

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/890383415840710657

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
That CGI desk is amazing.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Ahahahahahahaha

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

My council had been busy spending all its coffers on new roads, footpaths, vehicles etc. over the past few weeks in anticipation of them losing the court battle too, lol

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

I caught the opening of this once where Mark said "Well trigger warning, trigger warning, you've entered a very unsafe space :smuggo:" and I hope he says this in every episode.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
so Malcolm Roberts has been using a UK passport for travel, and Matt Canavan has been having Italian voting papers delivered to his mum's house since he was made a citizen. How long until they resign? Or will the LNP ask Scott and Larissa to return to work?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

starkebn posted:

so Malcolm Roberts has been using a UK passport for travel

Jesus Christ. He'll probably have to be forced out though.

[EDIT: I just read up on this and apparently he used a UK passport as a child, which is a lot less shocking.]

open24hours fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jul 27, 2017

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Who didn't use a UK passport when they were a child :colbert:

oh wait, I'm not in loving parliament, so my treason isn't a problem. I'll continue my Pro-British/Anti-Australian plotting over here....

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

iajanus posted:

Who didn't use a UK passport when they were a child :colbert:

oh wait, I'm not in loving parliament, so my treason isn't a problem. I'll continue my Pro-British/Anti-Australian plotting over here....

I didn't because I'm not descended from anglo-saxon trash.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

JBP posted:

I didn't because I'm not descended from anglo-saxon trash.

^^ norman shiteater spotted

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Man this thread needs to clean out all the reffos that are making GBS threads it up at the moment.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
First nations only

*bans self*

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
While I'm technically the descendant of refugees, they were well-off white people fleeing the Soviets post-WW2 so it doesn't really count.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

You Am I posted:

Man this thread needs to clean out all the reffos that are making GBS threads it up at the moment.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
THE MOTHER loving LIVING SOUL IS RUNNING WILD

One Nation senator Malcolm Roberts denies he lied when declaring less than a year ago he had "never held any citizenship other than Australian", despite now saying he has renounced any ties to other countries.

Senator Roberts' office claims there is no contradiction because the senator "is choosing to believe that he was never British" - even after the British government confirmed he was once a citizen.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
:cb:

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Lid posted:

THE MOTHER loving LIVING SOUL IS RUNNING WILD

One Nation senator Malcolm Roberts denies he lied when declaring less than a year ago he had "never held any citizenship other than Australian", despite now saying he has renounced any ties to other countries.

Senator Roberts' office claims there is no contradiction because the senator "is choosing to believe that he was never British" - even after the British government confirmed he was once a citizen.

"local fool continues to deny reality"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

Barnaby Joyce has told a pub in a Victorian irrigation district that the Four Corners program which raised allegations of water theft was about taking more water from irrigators and shutting down towns.

The deputy prime minister, agriculture and water minister told a gathering at a Hotel Australia in Shepparton that he had given water back to agriculture through the Murray Darling Basin plan so the “greenies were not running the show”.

• Locked thread