Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

OH YES Seaniqua. I too wish to compete for rugged mediocrity again at Pick Em!

Maybe one day I'll be good enough to lose money sports betting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Meanwhile Sharp told Texas Monthly, “I’d like to put the UT-A&M game back together. I know the governor (Greg Abbott) wants to put it back together. UT wants to put it back together. … Man, can you imagine how much money we could make off that game?”

Lol that it comes down to money instead of appeasing the fanbases and bringing back a good tradition. He could have at least pretended it wasn't about the money. This game coming back would be in the best interest for both schools. It could help propel one of the teams into the playoffs. Even in down years winning this game can help get overrated.

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

gently caress Rich Rodriguez and his stupid not-so-secretive interviewing rear end depressing the gently caress out of the team before the Pitt game.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Spacebump posted:

Lol that it comes down to money instead of appeasing the fanbases and bringing back a good tradition. He could have at least pretended it wasn't about the money. This game coming back would be in the best interest for both schools. It could help propel one of the teams into the playoffs. Even in down years winning this game can help get overrated.

I don't know, I feel like Texas never has any trouble being overrated provided they show a pulse and A&M has the SEC thing to overrate them if they're any good.

They should clearly play, I just don't think rankings need to come into the argument.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Also gently caress Bill Self, who no matter what anyone claims is the single reason Mizzou and KU will not play as long as he's around.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Spacebump posted:

Peoples' interest in Texas's Thanksgiving game has gone down so much that Texas stopped doing the Hex Rally a couple of years ago because people weren't showing up. They tried to pretend the game was still interesting with TCU and Texas Tech, but nobody loving bought it.

gently caress Deloss Dodds I hope his death is long and painful for ending that game.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Peoples' interest in Texas's Thanksgiving game has gone down so much that Texas stopped doing the Hex Rally a couple of years ago because people weren't showing up. They tried to pretend the game was still interesting with TCU and Texas Tech, but nobody loving bought it.

gently caress Deloss Dodds I hope his death is long and painful for ending that game.

Deloss Dodds didn't end the Lone Star Showdown. A&M ended the Lone Star Showdown.

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

PostNouveau posted:

Also, lol A&M missed what would have been a 6-year winning streak against us.

Maybe 2012 and 2013, but have you seen our November record the last three years?

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Deloss Dodds didn't end the Lone Star Showdown. A&M ended the Lone Star Showdown.

:crossarms:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Schools are obliged to play teams in their conference. If Texas A&M wanted to keep playing Texas, they should have stayed in the Big 12. Simple as that.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

You will sell your car for those tickets.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Schools are obliged to play teams in their conference. If Texas A&M wanted to keep playing Texas, they should have stayed in the Big 12. Simple as that.

True as far as it goes. Also if Texas wanted to remain relevant they should have tried to keep someone other than OU in their conference.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Grittybeard posted:

True as far as it goes. Also if Texas wanted to remain relevant they should have tried to keep someone other than OU in their conference.

Ah, we'd be relevant if we didn't suck for several years straight.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Scarf posted:

Holy gently caress how did I never realize how many loving logos in the B1G solely consist of a single letter?

The partially confusing bit is that some of them weren't just letters until recently! Michigan and Illinois both had logos that said "Michigan" and "Illinois," Maryland had the turtle, Purdue had the locomotive, and the Northwestern N had the roaring wildcat.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

PostNouveau posted:

I kinda undercut my argument by admitting Texas gets overrated if they do anything at all in the post before, so yeah it doesn't really matter.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The left Purdue one and right Indiana one are so loving embarrassing

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

quote:

The new friends being the likes of LSU, Alabama and Arkansas in SEC West competition.

That sentence makes me really happy. Picture isn't on point as I'd like, but it's close enough; just imagine I photoshopped some SEC poo poo on there or whatever.

Word is anyone that draws a Braves logo is cut from the team and killed on the spot.

Also, the thread titles are getting a tad dire.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

PostNouveau posted:

There are people on ShaggyTexas who unironically think that the Big 12 can only succeed if Texas is winning dominating the conference in football every year.

I feel like if your conference has reached this point, it's time to look for a new one.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jul 27, 2017

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The SB Nation 2007 opus really is enormous and so good. And the "heartbreak of Oregon" part hit me far too close to home. That season for Oregon was maybe not the best season but easily my favorite and most memorable by far.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

There are people on ShaggyTexas who unironically think that the Big 12 can only succeed if Texas is winning dominating the conference in football every year.

I feel like if your conference has reached this point, it's time to look for a new one.

Do you not think a good Texas makes the big 12 better? If Texas and Oklahoma are dominating national headlines with good teams, it's undoubtedly a positive for the conference.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
A good Texas makes everything better, not just the Big12

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

blugu64 posted:

A good Texas makes everything better, not just the Big12

It's true. The grass is greener, the sky is bluer.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

harperdc posted:

The SB Nation 2007 opus really is enormous and so good. And the "heartbreak of Oregon" part hit me far too close to home. That season for Oregon was maybe not the best season but easily my favorite and most memorable by far.

Still mad at them for playing Dennis Dixon hurt

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

MourningView posted:

My college roommates at the time had an ongoing argument where one said Dixon was too skinny to sustain hits and last a season. He said the injury was proof. Even though it was a non-contact injury with no one within 10 yards.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://twitter.com/scottdochterman/status/890427835130793984

He instantly becomes, by far, the receiver with the second most career yards on the team.

The passing game isn't great.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

MourningView posted:

https://twitter.com/scottdochterman/status/890427835130793984

He instantly becomes, by far, the receiver with the second most career yards on the team.

The passing game isn't great.

c/d this is going to be the platonic ideal of a Ferentz team, probably minus a all-American O-lineman

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

all-Rush mixtape posted:

It takes two to not tango

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

I'm willing to rag on my lovely school as much as the next guy, but A&M didn't go around and tell people in the SEC not to schedule with Texas.
That analogy falls apart because no non-A&M SEC school would want to play Texas, but what I'm getting at is in the recent years A&M hasn't been the petty ones here. Surprisingly.

For real though, if the offer to host the game still stands from the guy who owns the Texas Motor Speedway that game would beat the attendance record from the Bristol game last year (and like every Big 12 Game combined) in a heartbeat. Not doing it is just pissing away money.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DC Murderverse posted:

c/d this is going to be the platonic ideal of a Ferentz team, probably minus a all-American O-lineman

Defensive backfield probably isn't good enough but otherwise yeah. And Daniels and Welsh are both All American caliber at least.

Either 03 or 08 were the definitive Ferentz style teams.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Oh god we play half of last year's playoff teams

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Spaced God posted:

I'm willing to rag on my lovely school as much as the next guy, but A&M didn't go around and tell people in the SEC not to schedule with Texas.
That analogy falls apart because no non-A&M SEC school would want to play Texas, but what I'm getting at is in the recent years A&M hasn't been the petty ones here. Surprisingly.

For real though, if the offer to host the game still stands from the guy who owns the Texas Motor Speedway that game would beat the attendance record from the Bristol game last year (and like every Big 12 Game combined) in a heartbeat. Not doing it is just pissing away money.

I'd enjoy it if we played again, but regardless of that what I want most is for everyone associated with the university to stop embarrassing themselves every time they open their mouth om the issue

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

General Dog posted:

I'd enjoy it if we played again, but regardless of that what I want most is for everyone associated with the university to stop embarrassing themselves every time they open their mouth om the issue

But embarrassing ourselves when it comes to football is tradition :saddowns:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

MourningView posted:

Read the piece, they talk with Bellotti about that. He says he didn't want to play Dixon, but I'm ~15% thinking "of COURSE he would say that in an interview in 2017." At the time before the Arizona game only three or four people knew the injury was that bad.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pillsburysoldier posted:

Oh god we play half of last year's playoff teams

We almost beat Clemson, and Alabama is beatable.

(:ohdear:)

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Randaconda posted:

We almost beat Clemson, and Alabama is beatable.

(:ohdear:)

printing this post to put in the locker room

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

harperdc posted:

Read the piece, they talk with Bellotti about that. He says he didn't want to play Dixon, but I'm ~15% thinking "of COURSE he would say that in an interview in 2017." At the time before the Arizona game only three or four people knew the injury was that bad.

"gently caress them" could also be extended to the medical staff but I also kinda don't buy this. You're the head coach. If you don't want to play him don't put him in the game

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

The N is for nowledge

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Look DIxon was never going to be an NFL guy, and it was his senior year. You're in contention and the guy says he wants to play. Sure it resulted in his knee imploding but it was already mostly there. Not playing him the remainder of the season probably doesn't change the outcome of the season given how the back ups did, but if it holds together they had a chance. I can't knock them too hard since Dixon in the article was reportedly emphatic about playing and that it wasn't that bad.

I really wanted that team to play for the title with Dixon since my Hokies weren't going to. Watching him go down was a sad moment.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Look DIxon was never going to be an NFL guy, and it was his senior year. You're in contention and the guy says he wants to play. Sure it resulted in his knee imploding but it was already mostly there. Not playing him the remainder of the season probably doesn't change the outcome of the season given how the back ups did, but if it holds together they had a chance. I can't knock them too hard since Dixon in the article was reportedly emphatic about playing and that it wasn't that bad.

I really wanted that team to play for the title with Dixon since my Hokies weren't going to. Watching him go down was a sad moment.

He literally was an NFL player and almost every player says they want to play hurt because they've been conditioned to think that's what they're supposed to do. That doesn't mean it's in their best interests or that you should let them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/7/26/15993842/ole-miss-ncaa-investigation-scandal-donte-moncrief-brother-spencer

NCAA: Still racist as gently caress

• Locked thread