Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

DrNutt posted:

Playing with my try hard little brother the other day, I pick up one of those long coats and he's all "don't wear that it makes you easier to spot!" I just laughed at him and was like, "bish, fashion!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WJFjXtHcy4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Good soup! posted:

drat I'm gonna be super disappointed if we don't get a chicken outfit now

It's gotta look super lovely too. Like almost totally brown from mud, half the feathers ripped off, several holes ripped in it, etc.

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

Crell posted:

If you put it in your inventory it would weight 100 capacity, it doesn't hold an extra 100 capacity if you wear it.

You can prove this by equipping your jacket and seeing it doesn't change your capacity bar.

I know I'm a few pages late but let me get this straight, my fluffy jacket actually takes inventory capacity bars? For example if I took it off I'd be able to hold more without a backpack? Or does it not matter at all? This is super important as I get really bad RNG on finding a backpack sometimes.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

96 spacejam posted:

I know I'm a few pages late but let me get this straight, my fluffy jacket actually takes inventory capacity bars? For example if I took it off I'd be able to hold more without a backpack? Or does it not matter at all? This is super important as I get really bad RNG on finding a backpack sometimes.

The jacket keeps your warmth meter up and helps mitigate the penalties of being wet.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

96 spacejam posted:

Yeah this backpack RNG man, tell me about it.

(what the gently caress)

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

Snapes N Snapes posted:

Yeah this backpack RNG man, tell me about it.

(what the gently caress)

I'm not kidding. I've had a handful of jumps where entire small towns don't have a single backpack. Either way I'm asking for clarification, does wearing a jacket take up space? I understand it doesn't add any.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Yes when you put on a puffy jacket it makes your hitbox bigger and you take up more space in the game world.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Also when you are female your hitboxes are smaller, though tampons take up extra inventory space

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
So I quickly browsed the PUBG subreddit (lol) and holy poo poo people are mad about keys. Many people are screaming about how it's going to ruin the game, some even drawing parallels to the abject failure that is CS:GO.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

abigserve posted:

So I quickly browsed the PUBG subreddit (lol) and holy poo poo people are mad about keys. Many people are screaming about how it's going to ruin the game, some even drawing parallels to the abject failure that is CS:GO.

Lol fukken nerds

Bobbin Threadbear
May 6, 2007

Unknown Players present: Why did we drive here?

aka the replay duration inflation

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Flew too close to the sun

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
IDK why they're bothering with the keycrate system, Overwatch system is superior since you get to hook people to grinding for more boxes or they can pay $40 for a bunch of boxes that have 2 rare items between them.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I'm gonna break up this monotony of grown men complaining about their dress boxes with a video inspired by the Sylvester Stallone classic Over The Top.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/162317439

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

abigserve posted:

To be fair, it does suck that the lead dev and face of the game said "we won't charge money for cosmetics during Early Access" after which they start charging money for cosmetics during Early Access. This is about the blatant lie as much as about the price of orange shirts.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Just got my first solo chicken dinner and I'm all jittery from nerves. What a loving great game this is.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

The Mash posted:

To be fair, it does suck that the lead dev and face of the game said "we won't charge money for cosmetics during Early Access" after which they start charging money for cosmetics during Early Access. This is about the blatant lie as much as about the price of orange shirts.

he's also said that they will be testing the key system, which they will now be doing. it'll be around for a bit for the test then go away again, until release. plus the money is going to support a tournament (a business model they're also testing probably) and charity.

you kids crying how "THEY LIIIED" reminds me of the frasier episode in the parking garage. it's actually about ethics in games development.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

It's not like they can't test a key system without charging money for the keys though?

I don't understand why people are so willingly accepting having to pay through microtransactions for a game they've already paid for. Sure, it's not mandatory, but why does some content even need a paywall? I understand it from a dev-POV, because they make a killing doing it, but as players and customers, we're allowed to be dissatisfied and voice our concerns. It's sort of the same crab-bucket mentality as the american anti-union sentiment, writ small.

The Mash fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Jul 27, 2017

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Probably because the money is just going to a tournament with leftover money going to charity

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

The Mash posted:

It's not like they can't test a key system without charging money for the keys though?

I don't understand why people are so willingly accepting having to pay through microtransactions for a game they've already paid for. Sure, it's not mandatory, but why does some content even need a paywall? I understand it from a dev-POV, because they make a killing doing it, but as players and customers, we're allowed to be dissatisfied and voice our concerns. It's sort of the same crab-bucket mentality as the american anti-union sentiment, writ small.

i love to pay my money for items!!! if i cant pay for them they arent fun

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Just going to go ahead and leave this here...

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
I do love the classic internet approach of calling the people who disagree with you children. A mature approach to conflict resolution.

For real though, this chat has been going on for a while now, it's fine to not care about having to pay for cosmetics and it is also fine to think micro transactions are a kind of scummy business model. Can't we all just get a long?

VulgarandStupid posted:

I'm gonna break up this monotony of grown men complaining about their dress boxes with a video inspired by the Sylvester Stallone classic Over The Top.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/162317439
Nice trench charge. My KDR is less than 1, am I still allowed to offer praise?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I got to say that I'm getting a little tired with the cricle spawning on the southern island in what seems to be practically every single game.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I got to say that I'm getting a little tired with the cricle spawning on the southern island in what seems to be practically every single game.
You can actually force the game to put the circle up north by dropping at the military base.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Redundant posted:

I do love the classic internet approach of calling the people who disagree with you children. A mature approach to conflict resolution.

For real though, this chat has been going on for a while now, it's fine to not care about having to pay for cosmetics and it is also fine to think micro transactions are a kind of scummy business model. Can't we all just get a long?

Nice trench charge. My KDR is less than 1, am I still allowed to offer praise?
I don't think anyone is in love with the micro-transaction business model but what's the point of complaining? It's coming anyway. I've seen a lot of Reddit crybabies going on about how they promised no micro transactions before release, but they also promised they'd be at full release within 6 months and now they're saying 8 or 9 and no ones crying about that. So at the end of the day, micro transactions and full release are coming at some point, does it really matter when?

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

VulgarandStupid posted:

I don't think anyone is in love with the micro-transaction business model but what's the point of complaining? It's coming anyway. I've seen a lot of Reddit crybabies going on about how they promised no micro transactions before release, but they also promised they'd be at full release within 6 months and now they're saying 8 or 9 and no ones crying about that. So at the end of the day, micro transactions and full release are coming at some point, does it really matter when?
I'm fence sitting and not complaining, I just want us to go back to fun stories about chicken dinners and stunts instead of a long circular argument where nobody is going to change their mind.

Be the change you want to see and all that so I will begin. I still have a grand total of 0 (zero) chicken dinners so this might take awhile...

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

VulgarandStupid posted:

Plenty of devs have actually changed their business model based on volume of feedback at this point. There's even plenty of examples right there in the Reddit "crybaby" threads.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

When do we get taunts, I want to make make eating chicken dinner off a plate gestures outside the hut the dude I'm going to kill is in.

This is extremely important, after car horns of course.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
dipped my toe into squad games with goons last night and had a good time thanks for games

question though, as someone who's not really familiar with the ebb and flow of squad games, how does the early game work in terms of coordination, looting and engagements? How much should you be spreading out? work building next to a squad mate or give him a group of buildings to clear? if another squad is known to be in the town are people best served to group up or are the early minutes just going to be one on one encounters mainly?

We had a few games where we just weren't coordinated enough when looting, which lead to us being scattered when the shooting started. We came out on top of these early encounters a couple of times but always lost at least a squad member

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Managed 4 kills and a top 3 placement in my first game of the day. Even got a awesome drop shot on a guy that should of killed me.

Final 3 and I tag the guy up on the hill moving to the circle while the other guy is a few meters from me and just drops me. So close and yet so far!

I will get that solo chicken dinner one day!

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

The Walrus posted:

dipped my toe into squad games with goons last night and had a good time thanks for games

question though, as someone who's not really familiar with the ebb and flow of squad games, how does the early game work in terms of coordination, looting and engagements? How much should you be spreading out? work building next to a squad mate or give him a group of buildings to clear? if another squad is known to be in the town are people best served to group up or are the early minutes just going to be one on one encounters mainly?

We had a few games where we just weren't coordinated enough when looting, which lead to us being scattered when the shooting started. We came out on top of these early encounters a couple of times but always lost at least a squad member

It's a tough one and depends on the situation, place you are looting, plane path, etc..
If you are unsure if anyone else are looting in the area, I like to think of the squad looting phase as the beginning of a starcraft game. You can expand early (spreading out in squad) and get your economy rolling which gives you a better shot late game. However this leaves you vulnerable to early aggression and you should be scouting for the enemy. The other route of building a few units (staying close together in squads) leaves you safer early game but worse off late game.
If the area you are looting is big enough and you and your teammates are vary of your surroundings I personally like the first option.

However, If instead I know enemies trying to loot the same area as us I prefer to look for whatever I can find quickly and go for the fight very early and very aggressively. Otherwise think you lose too much time dealing with the other team.

Hulebr00670065006e fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jul 27, 2017

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

The Walrus posted:

Keep looting. Keep an eye out for nerds. if you or an ally sees someone, everyone with a gun should come together and go hunting while you have an advantage

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

:regd10:
I feel I do better in Solo queues, but I enjoy doing dumb poo poo with my friends, except when we get the one tryhard that thinks he's l337 operator but sucks at callouts and is usually 95% responsible for our deaths. the Other 15 is me doing sicknasty jumps on motorcycles

Carebearz fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jul 27, 2017

Tarnien
Jul 4, 2003
Champion of the World!!!
Any of you pro-AF goons have tips for increasing fire rate/firing full auto from range? I can single click decently accurately, am riding a ~2.5kda in most modes, but I'm absolute trash at full auto from anything further than 10 feet. I can't even single-click that fast from range without recoil getting out of control, and I feel like it's one of my biggest weaknesses in this game.

Any general rules/tips for controlling recoil from range?

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
Thinking of changing my strategy by keeping the VSS, shotguns and uzis I do well with rather than swapping them for the 'better' guns I suck with

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
you should try to not suck with any of the guns i think

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Had a hilarious moment last night. Of course I ended up getting plunked in the head soon after this when I tried to peak around the same rock.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y66kvZxzmSU

Also looks like crouching is completely hosed in the latest patch making aiming near impossible.

https://twitter.com/MattDethridge/status/890517946094714880

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
the client is also completely hosed and infuriating

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Tarnien posted:

Any of you pro-AF goons have tips for increasing fire rate/firing full auto from range? I can single click decently accurately, am riding a ~2.5kda in most modes, but I'm absolute trash at full auto from anything further than 10 feet. I can't even single-click that fast from range without recoil getting out of control, and I feel like it's one of my biggest weaknesses in this game.

Any general rules/tips for controlling recoil from range?

Land in areas that might not have a lot of other people and practice against walls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
Are there any new recommended settings for optimizing frame rate? I've got 1080 driving a 1440p 165hz monitor and I've tinkered with the various video settings in the game but I seem to get stuttering and frame drops regardless. I've got an older processor (i5-3570k @ 4.4ghz) so I'm not sure if that's bottle-necking me. Would going from 16gb of RAM to 32 make any improvement?

• Locked thread