Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
You can really see how the sausage is made in HIMYM on a rewatch. The first episode of any given season is always Ted getting over The Important Break-Up making references to the coming mom while serene indy music plays over a rainy cityscape with a yellow umbrella somewhere in the crowd, then halfway through the season Ted Falls In Love With Somebody Monumental while making more references to how that will lead to Meeting Your Mother and the last episode of the season is Ted discovering that Monumental Lady wasn't meant to be but it's ok because if it had been meant to be then he never would've Met Your Mother pa pa paa paaa da daa daa daa baraa bararara ra ra ra raraaaaa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Josh Lyman posted:

Actually it was the entire 9th season?

She meets everyone else throughout the ninth season, we only get like 2 or episodes where the mother and Ted actually interact.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I forgot about Ted's weird fart huffing about being a New Yorker. Are all people from NY like that

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Calaveron posted:

I forgot about Ted's weird fart huffing about being a New Yorker. Are all people from NY like that

The television told me as much so I assume it to be true.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I got into HIMYM just as I was about to start my PhD, and I wanted to live the HIMYM life so badly, living above a neighborhood bar.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Josh Lyman posted:

I got into HIMYM just as I was about to start my PhD, and I wanted to live the HIMYM life so badly, living above a neighborhood bar.

I would love to live above a bar. Life goals tbh. Preferably a gay bar with lots of drag shows.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Being within walking distance of a bar is the dream

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Calaveron posted:

Being within walking distance of a bar is the dream
Yeah, I was supposed to move into the 2nd floor of a house that had been turned into a duplex, 1 block from an intersection with a bunch of neighborhood bars.

Then the owner reneged. :colbert:

Now I'm 31 and too old for that poo poo. Well, I would live next to a hotel bar.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Calaveron posted:

God I remember that episode of him freaking the gently caress out over a couple girls living in new Jersey and not new York.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Ted was overreliant on grand romantic gestures, and needed to grow up in a lot of ways, but if anyone was a scumbag on that show it was 100% Barney. Never mind that he's a serial womanizer (which thankfully he did give up while he and Robin were official), he's lied to Robin multiple times, including manipulating her emotions to get her to marry him. Even the most loving thing he did for her, the Canadian party on ice, was built on lies--Robin herself admits all this near the end of the series. And even if he did give up womanizing for his marriage, they did an episode about him passing the torch on to some kids, teaching them all about picking up women with elaborate lies.

swickles posted:

She meets everyone else throughout the ninth season, we only get like 2 or episodes where the mother and Ted actually interact.

No, they interacted all the time in the 9th season, albeit in flash-forwards. HIMYM was really bad in the last few seasons, but Tracy--and her interactions with Ted--always belonged to the few good parts.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Zerilan posted:

God I remember that episode of him freaking the gently caress out over a couple girls living in new Jersey and not new York.
I mean, in Atlanta, we feel the same way about people who live inside and outside the beltway. And we completely discount the southern half.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Argue posted:

No, they interacted all the time in the 9th season, albeit in flash-forwards. HIMYM was really bad in the last few seasons, but Tracy--and her interactions with Ted--always belonged to the few good parts.

Yeah, amounting to about 2 episodes of them together. He only meets her in the show's present in the finale.

Should I have said 40 minutes instead?

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Barney was a huge scumbag, hell, most of the characters were poo poo people. The main difference is that at least in earlier seasons the show recognized that he was an scumbag.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The last time I saw an episode of HIMYM it was while I was at a car dealership waiting on paperwork. It was some episode about a bet where Barney get's to see or touch Alison Hannigan's boob's if he wins some bet, and the whole thing was just gross. The whole thing was handled in a way that was just terrible.

Like you're part of a friendgroup where a serial horndog womanizer really wants to see/touch the breasts of a woman in the group, and no one else, including her, wants that to happen under any circumstances, but they've made some bet and he's gonna hold them to it and it's this big deal? That's like, leave and never speak to these people again territory, but it's all played for laughs.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

Should I have said 40 minutes instead?

Yes

HIMYM had maybe 3 good seasons but then the finale is one of the only ones ever to actually retroactively ruin the show that came before it so gently caress ever rewatching a second of that show

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

bring back old gbs posted:

Lmao Ozark better be setting something up with the kid

lmaoooo the first 2 minutes of episode 9

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I liked the episode where the old car died and they played that Proclaimers song a lot.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
OKAY FINE I'LL WATCH FUCKIN OZARK

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

AND EAT YOUR VEGETABLES TOO

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Are you HIMYM/Friends folk forgetting that these were 22min comedy sitcom characters? You seem to be over analysing these character motivations and extrapolating minor storylines played for jokes into entire character arcs like it's some massive character essay.

And should Ross being some skeezy stalker psychopath really effect your enjoyment of the show? This is the same forum who's favourite comedies are Arrested Development, Community, Always Sunny, Curb, Rick & Morty, Happy Endings, Broad City, You're the Worst... I could keep going but you get my point.

lovely people make for good comedies, this is a secret to nobody.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Finally finished the last two seasons of Nikita, pretty much a perfect long ending. Amazing how they balance CW drama/spy action/kickass fights/some actual dark poo poo so well.

Always funny recurring thing where non-specops mooks show up, talk big, immediately get ruined.

Also friends rules

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Looten Plunder posted:

Are you HIMYM/Friends folk forgetting that these were 22min comedy sitcom characters? You seem to be over analysing these character motivations and extrapolating minor storylines played for jokes into entire character arcs like it's some massive character essay.

And should Ross being some skeezy stalker psychopath really effect your enjoyment of the show? This is the same forum who's favourite comedies are Arrested Development, Community, Always Sunny, Curb, Rick & Morty, Happy Endings, Broad City, You're the Worst... I could keep going but you get my point.

It's their unawareness of Ross being skeevy that's the issue. To use one example from your list, we know we're meant to hate Jimmy and Gretchen from You're The Worst, but Ross is presented as loveable and charmingly goofy.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Looten Plunder posted:

Friends is not good though

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
It shits all over any of the other mega-comedies of the last 30 years.

Edit: Wow, I didn't realise Seinfeld was as popular as it was. I thought that was more of a cult thing. Didn't that show get almost cancelled like 3 times?

Looten Plunder fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jul 27, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Golden Girls.

Edit: I guess that's not a "mega comedy"?

In which case I posit that all mega comedies are poo poo.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Looten Plunder posted:

Frasier and cheers

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Looten Plunder posted:

Edit: Wow, I didn't realise Seinfeld was as popular as it was. I thought that was more of a cult thing. Didn't that show get almost cancelled like 3 times?

70 million people watched the finale

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Hence my surprise

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Lol at thinking Seinfeld was not popular. GoonOpinions.txt.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I live on the other side of the world and was 15 at the time, forgive me.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
You're the one who made a sweeping statement about comedies over the last three decades.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Looten Plunder posted:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Looten Plunder posted:

I like the episode where Ross and Joey switch megazords

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I like the episode where Joey and Chandler battle the lesbian house flippers to the death.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Alright I give in. I was trying to rebut a generalisation with with an even bigger generalisation. I'll show myself to the door.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Escobarbarian posted:

my dude you are in for a treat. really ramps up after episode 2.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Great show. Ruth is a cold cold bitch.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Friends is the very definition of a show that's just there. It may have been popular but it was never good. It was the Two and a Half Men of its time. I'll take Scrubs over Friends, for gently caress's sake.

Looten Plunder posted:

It kept getting murdered in the ratings during the early seasons, by Jake and the Fatman of all things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wwo2gU9GJpY

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Scrubs is way better than Friends yeah

also Frasier/Seinfeld for sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Man, I've never seen an episode of Scrubs, HIMYM, Seinfeld, or Friends.

• Locked thread