Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
I've seen the word iron so many times it's lost all meaning and I want to pronounce it "I-run" like Larry King hates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I feel like euron is the only person with any agency left. everyone else is inconsequential or set on an inexorable path

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

mastershakeman posted:

I feel like euron is the only person with any agency left. everyone else is inconsequential or set on an inexorable path

Well as a Mary Sue he's entitled to the plot accommodating itself to him instead of vice versa.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Goddamn but there are a lot of names in ASoIaF that start with "Iron." Iron Islands, Iron Throne, Iron Fleet, Iron Gate, Iron Emmett, Iron Bank, Iron Vengeance, "The Iron Captain" chapters, Iron Victory, Iron Lances, Iron Wind, and Iron Shields.

Iron Price

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

JBP posted:

The other thing with not attacking KL with dragons and brown people is that Dany genuinely thinks the people are there waiting for her to come and be the queen. She's already crazy.

she literally says her brother was a fool for believing it when people told him things like this tho

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Cersei just blew up the Great Sept and nobody likes her. It's not entirely crazy to think that people might be pining for a return of the Targs at this point.

Everyone is a crazy arsehole except for Bobby Baratheon, but his name was sullied by Joffrey being a fuckin' psycho. I think the people just accept that their rulers are going to be some colour of motherfucker so who really cares. They're not going to be like "thank God it's Dany!"

Cephas posted:

she literally says her brother was a fool for believing it when people told him things like this tho

But she thinks it will be somehow different when she lays siege and doesn't force her way into KL?

Anyway it's not our fault all this poo poo is flimsy and the character motivations are bad/inconsistent , it's the writers.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

I feel like the people of the seven kingdom at this point at like " gently caress it whatever who is still alive can be ruler I guess. Can stop being taxed so much for this war where the first three generations invovled are dead?"

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jul 27, 2017

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

All the males aged 15-60 on the entire continent are either off galavanting with the army or dead, forcing grandma to take up the scythe for this years harvest. Not knowing what she is doing, she cuts herself and the wound gets infected and she dies of the plague.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Why don't they fling a bunch of greyskin patients into the white walkers and wait for them to infect each other

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

JBP posted:

Everyone is a crazy arsehole except for Bobby Baratheon, but his name was sullied by Joffrey being a fuckin' psycho. I think the people just accept that their rulers are going to be some colour of motherfucker so who really cares. They're not going to be like "thank God it's Dany!"

Bobby B was kind of an rear end in a top hat too. He was too worried about his own hedonism to rule and he let his desire for Targ vengeance consume him to the point where he ordered or overlooked bad things.

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."
Game of Thrones Season 7 episode 3: Sir Jorah the skinless. Dudes gonna look like that guy from predator.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Shwqa posted:

I feel like the people of the seven kingdom at this point at like " gently caress it whatever who is still alive can be ruler I guess. Can stop being taxed so much for this war where the first three generations invovled are dead?"

Historically, real wages increased and land rents went down in post-Black Death Europe. This basically happened because there were considerably fewer people around to share what resources were available. Something like this might happen in Westeros as well: with lots of people dead from warfare and probably more to die as a result of the warfare preventing adequate preparations for winter, the survivors could very well be better off than they were before once spring arrives. Assuming the White Walkers are beaten back, of course.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

JBP posted:

But she thinks it will be somehow different when she lays siege and doesn't force her way into KL?

Anyway it's not our fault all this poo poo is flimsy and the character motivations are bad/inconsistent , it's the writers.

Okay, so she literally said the opposite of the thing you've complaining about in an episode 3-4 days ago and now you're moving the goalposts. If you're going to complain about the show's writing at least watch the drat show.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Vegetable posted:

Why don't they fling a bunch of greyskin patients into the white walkers and wait for them to infect each other

Do you like wights with plague damage? Because this is how you get wights with plague damage.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Groovelord Neato posted:

the plan would be far less stupid without euron inheriting ramsay's magical powers and knowing they're gonna pull even more bullshit so there's parity when "realistically" cersei would get destroyed in a week due to having no allies and virtually no manpower after years of war.

It's funny that song of ice and fire got popular because it was "more realistic" fantasy that was prepared to take risks.
Which is the exact polar opposite of what the show is.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Groovelord Neato posted:

the plan would be far less stupid without euron inheriting ramsay's magical powers and knowing they're gonna pull even more bullshit so there's parity when "realistically" cersei would get destroyed in a week due to having no allies and virtually no manpower after years of war.

tbqh, you just described five out of seven kingdoms. the only places that haven't been completed ravaged by war are dorne and the vale.

as for cersei, the show has been pretty up-front about how quickly she could be destroyed. the problem is that she controls the largest city in westeros and, unless dany wants to "rule over ash," there's no easy way to remove her.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I'm not going to topple the wheel, I'm going to starve it in the most impractical and contrived way possible and then break it before I glue it together again lol.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I've seen the word iron so many times it's lost all meaning and I want to pronounce it "I-run" like Larry King hates.

euron means good iron probably not

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Bobby B was kind of an rear end in a top hat too. He was too worried about his own hedonism to rule and he let his desire for Targ vengeance consume him to the point where he ordered or overlooked bad things.

He sucked but relative to everyone else he was amazing. Even in terms of all the historical Targ kings there are only like a half dozen better than him.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

He was smart enough to let the Hand of the King run everything and just be a popular figurehead.

On the other hand, he was dumb enough to get the crown into massive debt and let tons of scheming against him happen, leading to all of this poo poo.

In conclusion, King Baratheon was a ruler of contrasts, thank you.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

robert's greatest achievements were throwing great parties and dying before any of the bills came due

hard to be tyrannical when you are blackout drunk 99% of the time and don't have to pay off any debts.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

QuoProQuid posted:

robert's greatest achievements were throwing great parties and dying before any of the bills came due

I mean, when you look at it that way, he won the game of thrones. Overthrow the crazy dictator, kill his son in an epic duel that everyone's always talking about, spend thirty years drunk as gently caress and banging hookers.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

PostNouveau posted:

I mean, when you look at it that way, he won the game of thrones. Overthrow the crazy dictator, kill his son in an epic duel that everyone's always talking about, spend thirty years drunk as gently caress and banging hookers.

He got to be king but he lost his girl

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Kind of screwed up the dynasty-building part by being turbocucked, otherwise probably a C-tier Westerosi ruler.

I don't know that there are any examples of A or S-Tier.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Also, he's the bad guy. He killed the good guy. The good guy hosed it up.

This is why the White Walkers deserve to win.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
Is there actually any show logic as to why Cersei is in the line of succession, or has that just been handwaved entirely?

I feel like the direction must be utterly poo poo at this point, or every decent to good actor is sick of the show, given the almost comically abysmal performances from regulars.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

There's no logic anymore, people can just kill the king/queen/warden whatever and take their place. Cersei blew up half the city and everyone is just cheering her for a job well done.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

im the commoner who got crushed by the giant sept bell

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Who would be next in the line of succession if not Cersei? Both Robert's brothers are dead with no kids and all his own kids are dead. I think the queen starts a new line at that point right?

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

Who would be next in the line of succession if not Cersei? Both Robert's brothers are dead with no kids and all his own kids are dead. I think the queen starts a new line at that point right?

At that point, it would normally go to a Great Council, or someone takes it by force. In the absence of a challenger, Cersei has it now via the latter route.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

Who would be next in the line of succession if not Cersei?

The president pro tempore of the Senate.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

much like rl the whole line of succession is just as nightmarish as the one in charge

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I don't know. If a crazy woman with her own army just blew up a huge chunk of town and then said, "I'm queen" I don't think anyone would say otherwise. Seems pretty realistic to me. Also I'm pretty sure there is no more small council.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Solice Kirsk posted:

I don't know. If a crazy woman with her own army just blew up a huge chunk of town and then said, "I'm queen" I don't think anyone would say otherwise. Seems pretty realistic to me. Also I'm pretty sure there is no more small council.

This combined with literally everyone else being dead. Who is going to dispute Cersei's claim? Littlefinger? The Tarlys?

Robert's claim was already implied to be an afterthought. Arryn came up with a justification to crown Robert to maintain the illusion of continuity. Cersei won't live long enough for the same to happen to her.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Solice Kirsk posted:

Not the King's small council, but a Great Council. This is where they summon every lord of any note in the entirety of the Seven Kingdoms to discuss and vote on who should have the throne. It has happened a couple of times before under the Targaryens and it's rumored Rhaegar was going to attempt to call one over his dad's head to dethrone him for being nuts. However it obviously isn't going to happen at the moment because who would come to KL if Cersei's asking? She is just a usurper who has not bothered at all with any formalities.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Solice Kirsk posted:

I think the queen starts a new line at that point right?

You're right, that does make sense.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

When the necromancer guy brings cersei to see balerions skull I was like "oh poo poo he's gonna resurrect balerion, the giant dragon skull was a chekhovs gun!

Then it turned out that he'd just invented a ballista which is a stupid plot for a black wizard

Don't the books mention ballista being used against dragons back in the targ wars with the rhoynar or whoever it was

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

JBP posted:

A lot of times it is. TVIV has some of the worst comprehension I've seen.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
At this point, you'd think various lords from the Westerlands and Stormlands would start to revolt against her, especially since she killed off the offical head of House Lannister (Kevan). And while it makes a sense that lords from the Reach like Randyll Tarly would revolt against Olenna because of her usurpation of Tyrrell lands (after Mace and his heirs got killed they should have passed to the closest blood relative) and the alliance with Dany, it still doesn't make sense for them to join Mad Queen Cersei's side or even consider her a legitimate queen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Taear posted:

It's funny that song of ice and fire got popular because it was "more realistic" fantasy that was prepared to take risks.
Which is the exact polar opposite of what the show is.

I realized last night that the only army in the show to ever run into logistics problems or deal with time and distance was stannis's, and 90% of that was off screen. every other army is essentially intact the entire time and appears wherever needed as long as their hero is with them. it's completely insane

• Locked thread