Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
why the heck don't they just move to a model where if your ip address or whatever has a background blockchain program running, that's considered proof of stake? thats what i thought it was at first at any rate, since itd actually not use the energy output of a small nation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Ethereum alone uses the energy of a small nation, bitcoin probably uses a not insignificant portion of chinas total energy output to power their ASIC farms.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Risky Bisquick posted:

bitcoin probably uses a not insignificant portion of chinas total energy output to power their ASIC farms.
worldwide bitcoin energy usage is ~0.02% of china's energy production

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Junior Jr. posted:

It's almost time for that new data fork thingamajig come august, but china's already quickly storing its bitcoins beforehand. I think the crypto rate will just be pretty low for about a month or so.

That's good for bitcoin, because...

After this slight crash, it's UP UP UP!

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Themage posted:

So still in the red then

Even at its worst so far that comes out to like 6 days a month to make up for power

I'm getting more convinced that the whole "haha the cost of electricity is more than you make" thing is a huge scam to prevent people from mining buttcoins to make their buttcoins more valuable. I know thats not true, but ... I mean it doenst even come close anymore

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

1gnoirents posted:

Even at its worst so far that comes out to like 6 days a month to make up for power

I'm getting more convinced that the whole "haha the cost of electricity is more than you make" thing is a huge scam to prevent people from mining buttcoins to make their buttcoins more valuable. I know thats not true, but ... I mean it doenst even come close anymore

Mining is unprofitable so you should stop mining, thanks in advance

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

1gnoirents posted:

The money is computar? Lol

Eh I can laugh at the stupidity of all this, and still enjoy my cryptoburritos

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

*rifles through stack of burritos* actually... i am in the red... why did I even start this... I cant afford myp ower bills ... bank took my house ... guys take heed of my warning

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Yeah pleeeeease stop mining, it's sooo bad for you guys 🙄

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, I had a couple thoughts about telling people how easy it was and how to overclock memory. In one sense I thought I'd lose money because it's all a competition, but in another I figured I'd rather get people I "know" some extra dollars and possibly get a few cents less myself rather than having as much as possible go to anonymous Chinese millionaires with those huge warehouses.

Last week would have been worth it for me, but it was so on the edge of profitability I didn't want to run for 3 days then have the rate fall and that power was wasted. My break point is at 4 dollars a day, less than that it seems like the odds are good enough that the rate will fall to pointless again. Technically I could be profitable as low as 2 dollars a day, but I'm not going to put in the effort for like 10 dollars a week of profit, it still takes like a half hour to cash out.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

eames posted:

Ebay's buyer protection allows these refunds for 180 days.

30 days after delivery date (Source, see 'timelines, replacement and exchange')

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

craig588 posted:

Yeah, I had a couple thoughts about telling people how easy it was and how to overclock memory. In one sense I thought I'd lose money because it's all a competition, but in another I figured I'd rather get people I "know" some extra dollars and possibly get a few cents less myself rather than having as much as possible go to anonymous Chinese millionaires with those huge warehouses.

Last week would have been worth it for me, but it was so on the edge of profitability I didn't want to run for 3 days then have the rate fall and that power was wasted. My break point is at 4 dollars a day, less than that it seems like the odds are good enough that the rate will fall to pointless again. Technically I could be profitable as low as 2 dollars a day, but I'm not going to put in the effort for like 10 dollars a week of profit, it still takes like a half hour to cash out.

was that the one you told me about <3 ?

eames
May 9, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

30 days after delivery date (Source, see 'timelines, replacement and exchange')

Not with Paypal.

site posted:

Purchase Protection covers all eligible purchases where PayPal is used, as well as payments made through our website. To take advantage of Purchase Protection, we require, among other things, that PayPal accounts be kept in good standing and ask that a dispute be filed within 180 days of your purchase or payment.

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/paypal-safety-and-security

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

If this happens to you then you have to call Paypal and appeal because they actually state the item has to be returned to you in the same condition as you shipped it out in.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
The legacy nicehash miner added a new algo today (sha3/keccak) which was apparently top dog profitability for the last several weeks and immediately cratered once every nerd on nicehash updated. How does anyone even find out about that beforehand. I guess nicehash was like accepting mining for it but didn't have it on their miners?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

1gnoirents posted:

If you're mining bitcoin, specifically, then yes there is no way that you are paying off your own power bills. Altcoins will vary by your hardware, how much you pay for electricity, and whether you need to also pay for cooling. Plus don't forget transaction fees

There's no scam here it's simply math and accounting, things that most people are bad at and that cryptocurrency early adopters seem to be very bad at (referring to the timeframe where asic mining at home was somewhat popular but hilariously unprofitable). If the math adds up for your altcoin of choice then go right ahead

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

QuarkJets posted:

If you're mining bitcoin, specifically, then yes there is no way that you are paying off your own power bills. Altcoins will vary by your hardware, how much you pay for electricity, and whether you need to also pay for cooling. Plus don't forget transaction fees

There's no scam here it's simply math and accounting, things that most people are bad at and that cryptocurrency early adopters seem to be very bad at (referring to the timeframe where asic mining at home was somewhat popular but hilariously unprofitable). If the math adds up for your altcoin of choice then go right ahead

IT'S FREE MONEY

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Well, there is the moral cost that you're being paid to verify the transactions of extortionists, con artists and drug dealers

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Spatial posted:

Well, there is the moral cost that you're being paid to verify the transactions of extortionists, con artists and drug dealers

You can achieve something similar through the use of various major banks

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Maybe bitcoiners were on to something when they were going on about being your own bank... :thunk:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Paying taxes is immoral, it sustains the currency used by Colombian drug lords

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Spatial posted:

And depending on where you live, the marginal health and environmental costs of exchanging electricity for virtual currency

Surprise Giraffe posted:

You can achieve something similar through the use of various major banks

Not really though, money laundering isn't as simple as going to a bank and saying "yes hello I would like to exchange this $10M for a fresh set of bills please".

The ease of using bitcoin for illicit purchases and money laundering vs using various major banks for the same purpose is why Bitfinex can no longer allow withdrawals anywhere outside of their home country

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jul 27, 2017

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

If y'all are sad that you're not making as much as few weeks ago, or your graphics card was never good enough to make any money in the first place, there are other options for having your computer devices pretend to do work for giftcards. Mostly pretending to watch videos with advertisements. Since the necessary computing power is low even phones and tablets can get into it.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3820124

You can even have a dodgy milkcrate style mining farm. :woop:

Rexxed posted:

Last week I setup my spare phones as a YooLotto farm (10 phones is the max right now) which can hang on the wall with some velcro, zip ties, command hooks and a plastic plant crate thing. It's either going to be a good idea or a good way to drop 10 phones on the ground at the same time.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Facebook Aunt posted:

If y'all are sad that you're not making as much as few weeks ago, or your graphics card was never good enough to make any money in the first place, there are other options for having your computer devices pretend to do work for giftcards. Mostly pretending to watch videos with advertisements. Since the necessary computing power is low even phones and tablets can get into it.

None of those phones have fallen down yet! But yeah, if you like having extra spare change every week there's apps for that that don't require you to cook yourself to death with video cards.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Hey very relevant to the illicit activities discussion, one of the central figures running BTC-e was arrested and BTC-e itself is being fined $110M over a litany of charges, including money laundering.

The Biscuit
Jul 2, 2007
Half of everything is luck.

1gnoirents posted:

Electricity is 42c/kWh here. Since we didn't have a gpu-rush, I should have exported our cards to the US.
On the other hand, I was considering mining because it is cold af here, so I wouldn't have minded some heating.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

Facebook Aunt posted:

So this is how videos get on YouTube trending eh?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I hear North Korea has started a large scale Bitcoin mining operation. Yet another sane smart Bitcoiner adding legitimacy. It's definitely used for things besides crime . We are in good company

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
I'm surprised that there's no JucheCoin or some other cryptocurrency made in the likeness of a third-world dictator, seems like they would love that poo poo. Even better would be to use that cryptocurrency as the official government currency.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jul 28, 2017

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Fauxtool posted:

I hear North Korea has started a large scale Bitcoin mining operation.
They just wanted to be part of something bigger than themselves (in total power consumption)

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
2.72 on a 1080 ti
ROI is for non-believers.

Did the split happen yet and did China even notice?

HamHawkes
Jan 25, 2014
Today is the big day right? Bitcoin fork and all that?

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

oh yeah lol

*straps in in the most uncaring way possible*

edit: Well all I've noticed is nicehash is putting out garbage numbers atm despite the value of various currencies appear to be rising, and also coinbase wont allow me to sell though theyve been warning about that for 2 months now

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Aug 1, 2017

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Ars writeup on the August 1 Bitcoin fork:

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/08/why-the-bitcoin-network-just-split-in-half-and-why-it-matters/

Sounds like so far, it actually worked how they wanted it to. Before the fork there was BTC, now there is BTC and BCC.

The next big hurdle for BTC is probably the hard fork from 1MB blocks to 2MB blocks via the New York Agreement / SegWit2x, currently expected to occur in late November.

http://support.exodus.io/knowledge_base/topics/what-exodus-users-need-to-know-about-bip91-segwit2x-bip148-and-hard-forks

Currently 89% of the network is signalling support for SegWit2x:

https://coin.dance/blocks

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
So GPU prices are staying sky high. Ok.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Surprise Giraffe posted:

So GPU prices are staying sky high. Ok.

I bought a 1070 for only just over MSRP a few days ago. And Gigabyte must have ramped up supply a bit as they often have a number of models in stock at the lowest price.

10% over MSRP seems to be average which in many stores can be rebuffed somewhat through savvy shopping if you consider sales tax in some places are 8%+ but not every online outlet charges sales tax in every state. And that isn't "sky high", it's just very high relative to the discounted mail-in rebate prices aftermarket brands use to stir demand. Demand is fine.

The sky high feeling is still felt strongly on the AMD side, but that's because nobody wants to manufacture a bunch of RX 400/500 boards while Vega is imminent. It's made worse because NVidia basically punted on competing with the 570/580 line, and because those have been hoarded and so expensive there's this huge gap between $150 and $300.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

Craptacular! posted:

I bought a 1070 for only just over MSRP a few days ago. And Gigabyte must have ramped up supply a bit as they often have a number of models in stock at the lowest price.

10% over MSRP seems to be average which in many stores can be rebuffed somewhat through savvy shopping if you consider sales tax in some places are 8%+ but not every online outlet charges sales tax in every state. And that isn't "sky high", it's just very high relative to the discounted mail-in rebate prices aftermarket brands use to stir demand. Demand is fine.

The sky high feeling is still felt strongly on the AMD side, but that's because nobody wants to manufacture a bunch of RX 400/500 boards while Vega is imminent. It's made worse because NVidia basically punted on competing with the 570/580 line, and because those have been hoarded and so expensive there's this huge gap between $150 and $300.

I bought a MSI Armor RX 580 8gb for $270 on Newegg like three weeks ago. I sold it thinking the market would tank any moment ;( But Ebay prices are well under $400 now. But in hindsight that might be the best price for a 580 for sometime if things dont change and I was seriously on the fence on keeping as I dont have a card atm.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Green Gloves posted:

I bought a MSI Armor RX 580 8gb for $270 on Newegg like three weeks ago. I sold it thinking the market would tank any moment ;( But Ebay prices are well under $400 now. But in hindsight that might be the best price for a 580 for sometime if things dont change and I was seriously on the fence on keeping as I dont have a card atm.

Get out while you can !! Go outside!!! Run!

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Profits on Nicehash aren't bad, made enough today to buy a burrito with guac. I thought I would be resorting to Taco Bell at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

1gnoirents posted:

Get out while you can !! Go outside!!! Run!

I already ran away a long time ago! Sold it for $420 shipped a few days after I got it.

• Locked thread