Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Yep, I'm on board for this show too after a pretty lengthy break from steady anime watching. There's some cool nature vs. nurture stuff going on too, a princess who ran away from her title and wants what's best for herself and a commoner who assumed the princess role and decided to take the tough road for the benefit of the people (and also herself). I'm sure we'll see exactly what went down right before their separation, and I'm looking forward to seeing how the original swap went down.

I'm actually hoping that it wasn't some quick-developing big wartime event that caused the swap but each of them knowing each other well enough that they figured they'd be better in these opposite roles compared to their birth, or each thinking they were taking on a tougher burden than the other. Like "Oh yeah I'm great at this political stuff and you're a wild spy ninja in the making, lets play to our strengths here."

It's also wild to consider that we could go on a full Code Geass route where Ange and Princess use and betray all the other members of the group at the opportune moments to undermine the team's country and rocket Princess up to the top, and then once that happens you can really hammer in the tragedy and have Ange kill Princess and take over her true role by birth, or otherwise have wild betrayal stuff happen that leaves only one or even zero members of the team left standing. I'm not sure I want to see these cute lil' murderers and spies put through the wringer like that, but in a post Madoka Magica world I feel like it's on the table and having it as a possibility will really heighten the tension going forward and keep me invested.

Grouchio posted:

So episode 1, upon looking back, was named [case 13 Wired Liar], while episodes 2 and 3 were considered [case 1] and [case 2].
It could therefore be surmised that our protagonists may certainly survive to the end of the season, (which i think is one-cour), and that if things go well we'll have a second season.

Pure speculation of course. The titles could be as honest as the Lizard Planet.

I feel like lying to the audience when you're airing episodes in an out of order timeline is a real dick move, and I hope they don't give me any reason to suspect that's going on. It's a drat shame if it's one-cour, this setting and premise is wild enough to do a very satisfying 24-26 episode complete story. It's won my heart no matter how long it lasts for having the balls to drop a huge twist in the first two episodes instead of right near the end and willingly giving up the level of :psyduck: greatness that finding this out in the last 2 episodes instead of now would have caused. It gives me hope that they have an even better twist for the finale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Now, I understand that you're very excited about this show, and so far I totally understand what you mean, but...

NowonSA posted:

but in a post Madoka Magica world
... this particular fragment really makes me want to give you a noogie. And this is coming from someone who enjoyed both the show + the movies.

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Wark Say posted:

Now, I understand that you're very excited about this show, and so far I totally understand what you mean, but...

... this particular fragment really makes me want to give you a noogie. And this is coming from someone who enjoyed both the show + the movies.

The Dark Souls of anime.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Grouchio posted:

So episode 1, upon looking back, was named [case 13 Wired Liar], while episodes 2 and 3 were considered [case 1] and [case 2].
It could therefore be surmised that our protagonists may certainly survive to the end of the season, (which i think is one-cour), and that if things go well we'll have a second season.

Pure speculation of course. The titles could be as honest as the Lizard Planet.

https://twitter.com/pripri_anime/status/890152154643681282

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Wark Say posted:

That's just the show that stands out for me for having cute girl characters but bringing in seriously messed up stuff. If I hadn't seen that I probably wouldn't have any expectation that things could go that badly for this show's characters, but because of it I'm in more suspense going forward.

I probably could have worded that better though, don't noogie me please!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Sweet, if they're skipping 6 cases that means we'll get to Chise joining the gang quicker.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

NowonSA posted:

That's just the show that stands out for me for having cute girl characters but bringing in seriously messed up stuff. If I hadn't seen that I probably wouldn't have any expectation that things could go that badly for this show's characters, but because of it I'm in more suspense going forward.

I probably could have worded that better though, don't noogie me please!
That's ok. You're alright, Nowon. :)

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Sweet, if they're skipping 6 cases that means we'll get to Chise joining the gang quicker.

I'd be pretty surprised if Chise doesn't at least get introduced in this ep.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Truly the master of disguise
https://twitter.com/relaxed75/status/890875687506018305?s=09

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
https://twitter.com/kuroboshi/status/891276369287462913

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Naturally the first week I really start looking forward to this is the first week that Amazon just straight up forgets to release on time. :smith:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

This show is too moe. Even the adult soldiers are somewhat moefied!

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I hope this show doesn't bounce around the timeline too much; it works for this kind of show but I worry about it getting hard to follow after a while

Also, this was a really good episode

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, I kind of hope it's all chronological order from here. So far we've only gone backwards from episode 1 (case 13) to episode 2 (case 1) and then just gone straight forwards aside from skipping over some cases.

Definitely hope case 13 isn't chronologically the lest episode we get, because it doesn't look like anything earth-shaking has happened by then.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Isn't this show two cour?

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I hope this show doesn't bounce around the timeline too much; it works for this kind of show but I worry about it getting hard to follow after a while

Also, this was a really good episode

I'm optimistic, the series feels very well composed with a solid vision so far. I would be thrilled if they did some excellent non-linear storytelling, but I wouldn't be let down without it.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Isn't this show two cour?

Everywhere I've looked says one.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

:yeah:

Ange turning her voicebox off is a hosed up thing to do to a person tho

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

ESPIONAGE

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
this show is really goddamn good

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
This show just keeps getting better.

This may not have been Chise's introduction episode, but it was the first episode where we really got to see her, and I almost immediately liked her. I'm honestly having a hard time picking a favorite character from this show.

That spy with the book couldn't have been more obvious about it if he tried. I'll bet that their 'thorough investigation' was just checking to see who was squinting and darting their eyes.

Spiritus Nox posted:

Ange turning her voicebox off is a hosed up thing to do to a person tho

The fact that her father even built that in to begin with is so cruel that it almost kept me from laughing when it happened.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Command Ant posted:

This may not have been Chise's introduction episode

I feel like it kind of was, though? At least I hope they don't go back and do a more formal introduction for her. We got everything we really need from her in this ep - we know basically why she's here, we got some good time to play with her character, she had some good action scenes - seems good to me.

Also this is mean as hell but I kind of want there to be a gag where Beatrice is about to confess her love to Charlotte or something and Ange gets jealous and mutes her.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Also, i look forward to the further adventures of Team Carrot.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Spiritus Nox posted:

Everywhere I've looked says one.

where did you see that? myanimelist has it as "unknown" number of episodes and when i've checked other airing shows in the past they've pretty much always known the exact number of episodes itd run for. i cant find any other information about it being 1 cour/ cour or 13 eps or what

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Homura and Sickle posted:

where did you see that? myanimelist has it as "unknown" number of episodes and when i've checked other airing shows in the past they've pretty much always known the exact number of episodes itd run for. i cant find any other information about it being 1 cour/ cour or 13 eps or what

The Sakuga Blog guy, mostly. Feel like I've seen 1 cour floating around somewhere else too.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

So here's the thing. Everyone's got a secret so far. Chise is keeping an eye on the group for Japan. Dorothy is keeping an eye on Princess for the Commonwealth. Charlotte and Ange have switched places and no one knows but them.

Therefore, I'm starting to wonder if Beatrice is actually the deepest cover spy of all, possibly working for the Duke of Normandy. After all Ange herself has shown that if everyone underestimates you, it's easiest to get things done and with things like this....

...it's drat easy to underestimate Beatrice. What if Beatrice was the Duke's secret watchdog on the Princess all along? It'd be one hell of a second to last episode twist.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Spiritus Nox posted:

The Sakuga Blog guy, mostly. Feel like I've seen 1 cour floating around somewhere else too.

couldn't find any mention of princess principal on sakuga blog aside from the summer preview column :shrug:

i'm hopin its 2 cours or, less optimal, planning 2 season run

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

It's pretty cool that there's only one character who's allegiance is actually to the Commonwealth, and I hope that this ends up becoming an important point as their interests begin to conflict with one another.

Also I wonder how much of the connection between Ange and Charlotte Dorothy has managed to piece together so far...

AnoHito fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Aug 1, 2017

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Homura and Sickle posted:

couldn't find any mention of princess principal on sakuga blog aside from the summer preview column :shrug:

i'm hopin its 2 cours or, less optimal, planning 2 season run

I asked him directly on twitter.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Also the VA they had do the "Jake"'s voice Beato-style did so fantastic that this show deserves AotS, if just for that one "Ahh~!"

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

jng2058 posted:

So here's the thing. Everyone's got a secret so far. Chise is keeping an eye on the group for Japan. Dorothy is keeping an eye on Princess for the Commonwealth. Charlotte and Ange have switched places and no one knows but them.

Therefore, I'm starting to wonder if Beatrice is actually the deepest cover spy of all, possibly working for the Duke of Normandy. After all Ange herself has shown that if everyone underestimates you, it's easiest to get things done and with things like this....

...it's drat easy to underestimate Beatrice. What if Beatrice was the Duke's secret watchdog on the Princess all along? It'd be one hell of a second to last episode twist.

beatrice totally has a hidden agenda. she ran off with the dorothy/chise crew, not the ange/charlotte crew. if thats not suss, nothing is

ange's probably figured something like that out. she loses her cool around ange, but she's analytical enough that she'll notice beatrice's behavior and pretend she doesnt notice

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Phobophilia posted:

beatrice totally has a hidden agenda. she ran off with the dorothy/chise crew, not the ange/charlotte crew. if thats not suss, nothing is

ange's probably figured something like that out. she loses her cool around ange, but she's analytical enough that she'll notice beatrice's behavior and pretend she doesnt notice

Alternatively, something happened in between the timeskip to make Beatrice distance from ange+charlotte when they're together. Perhaps she's onto them but without a hidden agenda, or Princess is using her to keep tabs on the other two.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Spiritus Nox posted:

I feel like it kind of was, though? At least I hope they don't go back and do a more formal introduction for her. We got everything we really need from her in this ep - we know basically why she's here, we got some good time to play with her character, she had some good action scenes - seems good to me.

That's a fair point. It wasn't a formal introductory episode like what Beatrice got, but you're right that it did as much.

jng2058 posted:

If that happens, it most likely won't be because Beatrice was a skilled manipulator, but instead because she herself was manipulated. I can see her turning into an unwitting double-agent after she was convinced that doing so was somehow in the Princess' best interest.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Command Ant posted:

That's a fair point. It wasn't a formal introductory episode like what Beatrice got, but you're right that it did as much.

If that happens, it most likely won't be because Beatrice was a skilled manipulator, but instead because she herself was manipulated. I can see her turning into an unwitting double-agent after she was convinced that doing so was somehow in the Princess' best interest.

I was thinking they might be pulling the old "we've got your father in custody1, sell out the Princess or he dies badly." But "those spies are going to hurt the Princess! You better help us keep her safe!" is an equally viable tactic.

1 = Possibly with the "I'm not actually a prisoner, I'm just letting them jerk you around so I can get what I want" variation if Dad's an rear end in a top hat, which given that he seems to have done horrible experiments on his daughter for fun would seem to have legs.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
beatrice strikes me as a person who would be easily manipulated if she was told what she wanted to hear. "you are the only one that can help the princess", etc.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Also these appear only for a few frames and I thought they were amusing.

Spiritus Nox posted:

Yeah, I kind of hope it's all chronological order from here. So far we've only gone backwards from episode 1 (case 13) to episode 2 (case 1) and then just gone straight forwards aside from skipping over some cases.

Looks like episode 5 will be case #7:
https://twitter.com/pripri_anime/status/892687614741856257

Demicol fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Aug 2, 2017

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Hmmmm. I really really hope case 13 isn't chronologically the last episode, because it sure didn't look like any of the show's big deals were dealt with by then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I honestly hope the second to last episode is Case #86, but I'm trying not to hype myself up too much.

• Locked thread