Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
How often do you change it? BMW says 6k for my bike but I notice it gets harder to shift after about 3k and wind up changing it.

Castrol power RS 5w-40 here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I didn't realize what I was doing I'm sorry!!!

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
I do a 50/50 blend of used oil out of my lawn mower and high mileage mobil 1 0w-20

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
690 SMC - Tree sap and olive oil every 4k.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Royal Purple 95W rear diff oil.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Tire question. It should be fine to mix a diablo rosso corsa front with a rosso 3 rear right? The corsa on the rear of my bike is already done and I have like 2k left on the front. The rosso 3 is cheaper so I figure I can slap that on the rear till I'm ready to replace both with some angel gts

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Don't change your oil, throw your bike on Craigslist to trade up every 3,000 miles.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
So, do like that paperclip guy and trade bikes until you have like a Desmosedici or a Britten or something?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Fry oil from popeyes

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

M42 posted:

Fry oil from popeyes

makes the bike Louisiana fast

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

captainOrbital posted:

So, do like that paperclip guy and trade bikes until you have like a Desmosedici or a Britten or something?

trade up until you cant afford to fix it then trade down until you get something that works

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I melt down pure lard change it out every 2,000 miles. Makes for some great fried chicken gizzards.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jazzzzz posted:

makes the bike Louisiana fast

My experience in Louisiana leads me to believe that a Louisiana fast bike is a bike with half its normal horsepower.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Rotella T single weight SAE40 diesel oil in my old bike. It's not a diesel.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Buhbuhj posted:

Tire question. It should be fine to mix a diablo rosso corsa front with a rosso 3 rear right? The corsa on the rear of my bike is already done and I have like 2k left on the front. The rosso 3 is cheaper so I figure I can slap that on the rear till I'm ready to replace both with some angel gts

Yes this is fine.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Tool question, what would be a good upgrade to my $20 craftsman torque wrench ive been using for years? I think the spring's plum give out

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

M42 posted:

Tool question, what would be a good upgrade to my $20 craftsman torque wrench ive been using for years? I think the spring's plum give out

harbor freight, but you have to keep it on the lowest setting when you're not using it or it ends up messing up the tension spring thing inside.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Aren't you supposed to do that to all spring type torque wrenches?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

M42 posted:

Aren't you supposed to do that to all spring type torque wrenches?

Yeah but you HAVE to do it with the HF one.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Yeah but you HAVE to do it with the HF one.

Yeah, this.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Installed the Oberon clutch slave on the 701 today. Nothing leaking so far, but now the clutch drags a bit. Planning to give it a little time and re-bleed. The only weird thing that came up during installation was the kit included two crush washers, but instructions don't mention them at all, and there weren't any crush washers originally on the bike. No idea where they'd go if they're supposed to be used.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Koruthaiolos posted:

Installed the Oberon clutch slave on the 701 today. Nothing leaking so far, but now the clutch drags a bit. Planning to give it a little time and re-bleed. The only weird thing that came up during installation was the kit included two crush washers, but instructions don't mention them at all, and there weren't any crush washers originally on the bike. No idea where they'd go if they're supposed to be used.

like that or wrong unit?

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Ah that would be it (though doesn't quite match the actual slave, diagram is missing the bleed valve). Just weird that there weren't any there originally and the instructions specifically say to disconnect and directly reconnect again without mention of the washers.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I want to take photos of nice things while im riding. Is there a product without too much of an extreme motorcycle markup that fits my needs? At this point I think I might just attach my point and shoot to a sling and pull over every time. The other option I can think of is finding a really high res action cam and set it to a really low FPS knowing that it will never come even close in image quality to an actual camera.

Maybe a small point and shoot mounted to my forehead or chin and a remote shutter would work?

Im also trying to not kill myself

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

M42 posted:

Get a CDI 3/8" drive 1002MFRMH 10-100 ft-lb click-type torque wrench. It's made in China by Snap-on industrial. Fit and finish is below that of the Blue Point or actual Snap-on, but it's 1/2 or 1/4 the price (respectively).
Absolutely rock solid tool. We got one when our Snap-on got run over by a forklift and wouldn't pass calibration anymore. This one sees very heavy (near daily) use across its whole range. The last cal sheet says it's within 5% from 10-30 ft-lb, 2% from 40-85, and 5% from 90-108, which is above range, but the max the dial-adjust thingy will go to.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Get another $20 Craftsman, I think that's fine unless you wanna upgrade to a $500 Snapon digital one.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

I took the license plate holder off my ninja 300 to put on the plate but I can't figure out how it goes back on. Help!

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Still can't get it how does this work?!?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
why in the hell would you take the license plate bracket off of the bike to put a plate on it? the plate just bolts onto the bracket without removing anything from the bike

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

I didn't know how it worked ant thought I had to take it out. A friend who rides told me to just bend the brackets and screw it back on. Problem solved!

M42
Nov 12, 2012

It's me, I'm the friend that brute forces any motorcycle problems that arise during wrenching 💪

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Reassembly is the reverse of removal

tjones
May 13, 2005
Who else gets poo poo faced sometimes and wakes up with things disassembled?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
True story: Lotus used to sell their Lotus Seven kits with a book of disassembly instructions* because it could reasonably be assumed that the average person can just follow the procedures in reverse to build it!

I guess it was a faulty assumption after all.

*as part of the new-car-tax avoidance scheme their kits were made to exploit, they weren't allowed to include instructions for building the car.

alr
May 14, 2009

Fauxtool posted:

I want to take photos of nice things while im riding. Is there a product without too much of an extreme motorcycle markup that fits my needs? At this point I think I might just attach my point and shoot to a sling and pull over every time. The other option I can think of is finding a really high res action cam and set it to a really low FPS knowing that it will never come even close in image quality to an actual camera.

Maybe a small point and shoot mounted to my forehead or chin and a remote shutter would work?

Im also trying to not kill myself

I also wanted this and wound up just getting a small camera (Canon G7X mkii) that fits in the tank bag/front jacket pocket. It's a compromise between weather sealing, picture quality, and portability, really. I use my GoPro for rainy days, and just pull over and use the camera when I can be bothered. Touch screen, too, so my gloves can use the capacitive fingertip things

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Get another $20 Craftsman, I think that's fine unless you wanna upgrade to a $500 Snapon digital one.

You mean the ones that always break and then not get fixed under warranty because it's an electronic item?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
can i get a recommendation on a 2015 fz-07 seat that is comfortable for longer distances. How much should I expect to pay for a good seat?

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

M42 posted:

https://www.blackwoodsxpress.com.au...zQaAoSREALw_wcB

Warren and Brown deflecting beam. Best workshop investment I've ever made. I have a 3/8 and 1/2 drive. Had them checked every couple years and they've never actually needed calibration. Made in 'Straya

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Went out for a nice ride today on the Tuono v4R, did about 60 miles of mountain roads. As I pulled into the gas station it died right out on me and refuses to crank/start. It's a new battery that's been kept on a tender; this is pretty likely to be the somewhat notorious Aprilia V4 stator failure right?

Thankfully it died at the gas station next to shade tree, so I'm sitting here waiting for AAA shipping Gatorade instead of hiking around in the mountains trying to find cell service. So glad I added AAA motorcycle coverage a couple months ago....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Could be the stator but it could also be the hot start issue. Not cranking at all might rule that out though.