Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Gorilla Salad posted:

No, I'm pretty sure not allowing inexperienced drivers to go straight from their driving test to souped up yobbo mobiles and wrap themselves around a tree in short order is actually a good thing. Also, driving with a BAC of 0.0 and passenger limits, etc.

I'm certainly not about to argue that some of the restrictions aren't pretty arbitrary, but the overall effect has been to dramatically reduce the number of lives lost on the road.
I'm fully aware I'm a grouchy bastard about this, but this stuff always seems to be arbitrarily dreamed up by people with some very silly ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Gorilla Salad posted:

No, I'm pretty sure not allowing inexperienced drivers to go straight from their driving test to souped up yobbo mobiles and wrap themselves around a tree in short order is actually a good thing. Also, driving with a BAC of 0.0 and passenger limits, etc.

I'm certainly not about to argue that some of the restrictions aren't pretty arbitrary, but the overall effect has been to dramatically reduce the number of lives lost on the road.

You are never going to reduce the road toll significanlty from what it currently is, because every year there are more and more people on the roads due to population growth and spread, and more old people getting older and driving worse.
Secondly the people making up these limits are pulling them out of their arse. Road death toll has increased the past year and it's not because of p plater breaking a curfew or driving a turbo, many crashes are older people not knowing what the gently caress they are doing.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jul 26, 2017

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Virginia has a map that shows "clusters" of where the most accidents happen. Big surprise, a lot of these clusters are at the intersections of major highways.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

InitialDave posted:

I'm fully aware I'm a grouchy bastard about this, but this stuff always seems to be arbitrarily dreamed up by people with some very silly ideas.

Plus these days engine displacement, number of cylinders and natural/forced induction aren't a reliable indicator of engine power, especially as quite often a range of cars will have the same engine under the hood in various states of detune.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Fo3 posted:

They vary from state to state, but Victoria is the worst in regard to cars and traffic.

Really? We don't have yearly roadworthies like other states.

However the rego bill is loving insane.

It's a newer version of Ricky's ShitMobile.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Ludicro posted:

Plus these days engine displacement, number of cylinders and natural/forced induction aren't a reliable indicator of engine power, especially as quite often a range of cars will have the same engine under the hood in various states of detune.

I'm not defending the system exactly, but it's going to work fine in the vast majority of cases, especially in Australia I'd think, where they don't have the vast breadth of cars that the US or Europe have. If you believe the system ultimately has a good idea, why scrap it just because it's not possible to account for every edge case?

Again, I'm not saying I support a graduated license like that, especially because I haven't seen the data, but your argument is kind of like people that say because seat belts occasionally lead to death in a wild minority of impacts, they shouldn't be mandated.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

shortspecialbus posted:

Again, I'm not saying I support a graduated license like that, especially because I haven't seen the data, but your argument is kind of like people that say because seat belts occasionally lead to death in a wild minority of impacts, they shouldn't be mandated.

I am quite happy having rules that say anyone with less than 2 year's experience, or is a male under 25 should be limited to what they can drive to something like this:

or this:

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

spog posted:

I am quite happy having rules that say anyone with less than 2 year's experience, or is a male under 25 should be limited to what they can drive to something like this:

or this:

Frankly, I'd be partial to anyone under the age of 25 or over the age of 65 being limited to a Toyota Prius with half of its cylinders disabled, and gps-gated from highways.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

shortspecialbus posted:

I'm not defending the system exactly, but it's going to work fine in the vast majority of cases, especially in Australia I'd think, where they don't have the vast breadth of cars that the US or Europe have. If you believe the system ultimately has a good idea, why scrap it just because it's not possible to account for every edge case?

I agree with the principle of restricting what new drivers can operate, as a 17 year old boy newly passed + hot hatch = recipe for disaster. However I would restrict it solely by horsepower per tonne. That way it would accommodate for the variations in my last post.

In the UK it's simply too expensive for new young drivers to get insurance on anything more than a gutless shitbox. Seems to work, we just get young boy racers bolting huge farty exhausts onto ancient 1.0l Corsas.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

spog posted:

or this:

That’s sexist. :biotruths:

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Ludicro posted:

I agree with the principle of restricting what new drivers can operate, as a 17 year old boy newly passed + hot hatch = recipe for disaster. However I would restrict it solely by horsepower per tonne. That way it would accommodate for the variations in my last post.

In the UK it's simply too expensive for new young drivers to get insurance on anything more than a gutless shitbox. Seems to work, we just get young boy racers bolting huge farty exhausts onto ancient 1.0l Corsas.

Something like that is super difficult to enforce, though - how do you take into account modifications? Do you blanket ban those to avoid that? And do the police have lookup tables to see this stuff? The reason they pick easily identifiable stuff like "turbo" or "displacement" is because it's something that can actually be checked without taking the car to a dyno.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
buncha old rear end curmudgeons itt that forgot being in their early 20s and loving (badly) with your car.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

It is a simple fact of growing older that you envy the young and attempt to restrict their ability to have fun out of spite.

Soon we will be the boomers we all hate so much.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

I care less about young drivers than I do the old ones who can't see anymore, and who have reaction times measured in seconds.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

You Am I posted:

Really? We don't have yearly roadworthies like other states.

However the rego bill is loving insane.
Neither does WA and the cops don't give a toss if you're going 4km/hr over as well.

What is rego costs over there? Here it's about $750 per year or $400 6m, and that includes compulsory 3rd party injury as that is still handled by the state.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jul 27, 2017

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.
The trailer was actually on fire, what in the gently caress.
https://www.facebook.com/9NewsQueensland/videos/1910576015932609/

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Tarantula posted:

The trailer was actually on fire, what in the gently caress.
https://www.facebook.com/9NewsQueensland/videos/1910576015932609/

News station posted:

A driver has been caught on camera risking the lives of other road users

Haha... such a risk to the lives of other drivers! The horror!

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
A car pulls out in front of a motorcycle which has nowhere to go then drives off. :nms: Unless you like watching someone almost die.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2pwX3N7q2Q

I don't think I'll ever ride a motorcycle on the street. Holy poo poo.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

It is a simple fact of growing older that you envy the young and attempt to restrict their ability to have fun out of spite.

Soon we will be the boomers we all hate so much.
As with the change to weight and towing limits in the UK twenty years back, I'm of the opinion that I'll let you have a two tier licence system "for safety" if you backdate it to make sure everyone has to achieve the same standard.

Won't do that because you'd be rightfully given a massive kicking politically (and possibly literally)? Well, there you go then, guess it's not quite as important as all that, then.

Honestly. Bloody old people. "Experience" is only a valid argument if it's relevant experience, and you actually learn from it. Otherwise it's just called "aging".

One of the primary issues with driver competence is that the average person simply doesn't care about trying to learn a drat thing once they've passed their test.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

InitialDave posted:

One of the primary issues with driver competence everything in the world is that the average person simply doesn't care about trying to learn a drat thing

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Measly Twerp posted:

Every time I get the urge to buy a motorbike, I watch a few dashcam videos and I decide against it.

If I weren't riding like a complete tool (which I would), there are too many dangerous drivers out there.

InitialDave posted:

Honestly. Bloody old people. "Experience" is only a valid argument if it's relevant experience, and you actually learn from it. Otherwise it's just called "aging".

One of the primary issues with driver competence is that the average person simply doesn't care about trying to learn a drat thing once they've passed their test.

I still find it amazing that once I passed my test at 18, I had a license that lasts me until I am 70.

At least check my eyesight every 10 years.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
In NSW at least they keep changing the rules for people who aren't on their full licence. I didn't bother getting my licence till my late 20's because I really didn't need it to operate on a daily level. I walked most places instead. When I passed my test I could use my phone to listen to music but nothing else. Since then they're removed that so I can't listen to my own music in the car unless I burn CD's which I can't be hosed doing. Worse I think is being trapped with a speed limit until you reach your full licence. On the first level you are stuck doing 20km/h under the maximum limit in the state and 10km/h below what trucks are limited to. It makes doing anything on motorways stressful because you get monstered by every other vehicle on the road. Its tempting to go the same speed as the rest of the traffic but the cops like making examples of people so if you get caught you loose your licence for 3 months and it adds an extra 6 months onto the time you have to spend without a full licence.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Wait, you can't use your phone for music? Does that apply if there are Bluetooth controls? What about an ipod or USB stick in newer cars?

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

shortspecialbus posted:

Wait, you can't use your phone for music? Does that apply if there are Bluetooth controls? What about an ipod or USB stick in newer cars?

No phone functions of any form at any time either bluetooth or aux cabled in. Dunno about the usb thing cause it doesn't have one. Even when I was using bluetooth I wasn't touching my phone in any way shape or form because I could control it all from the steering wheel.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Going that much slower than surrounding traffic sounds incredibly dangerous, especially for an inexperienced driver.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I refused to drive on freeways until I got the next stage of provisional licence for that reason mostly. It also means you're stuck in the slow lane having to slow for every single onramp cause assholes with a pile more experience attempt to merge at well below the speed limit or attempt to cut you off or ride your arse. Easier to take the slow route as it tends to be less stressful

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

That's stupid as gently caress. Speed differential, not speed, is a way bigger problem.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

shortspecialbus posted:

That's stupid as gently caress. Speed differential, not speed, is a way bigger problem.

Yeah that's some pretty loving stupid poo poo right there. I bet if they actually did studies on the effect of that law they'd find it causes more accidents.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
This is the biggest problem with the laws on p platers/novice drivers. For one, it's popular with voters, older people etc who aren't personally affected, and the government seems to look like it's doing *something*.
Make laws that only affect young people and claim it's for safety. If road deaths aren't reduced, double down and make even more draconian laws to keep penalizing young drivers.

Common sense doesn't come into it, the government has got to look like it's doing something, and people that have a say aren't affected, so they keep doing it.

E: My proposal: everyone that has an at fault crash loses their licence. Will never happen though because people that write or enforce laws, and the majority of voters are often terrible drivers, so it won't pass because it may affect them.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jul 27, 2017

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Measly Twerp posted:

A car pulls out in front of a motorcycle which has nowhere to go then drives off. :nms: Unless you like watching someone almost die.

Hmm... Vigilance is always key on a bike. That car was crawling out into the intersection for a good while before he reacted.

Still, that you have to be so vigilant to keep yourself safe can be rather stressful.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

Dave Inc. posted:

Hmm... Vigilance is always key on a bike. That car was crawling out into the intersection for a good while before he reacted.

Still, that you have to be so vigilant to keep yourself safe can be rather stressful.

Meh, riding a motorcycle is my least stressful conveyance.

You ride with the assumption that everyone is trying to kill you and it makes you a better driver as well as rider. It's like the highest form of defensive driving. I've had people do dumb stuff around me on my bike, but it's never led to a close call because most stuff is super predictable. I have ~ 250,000 miles on two wheels and have been to every corner of the continent and have not had a situation where I thought "poo poo this is too dangerous".

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Dave Inc. posted:

Bike rider in that video admits that he wasn't paying enough attention, and was riding too fast approaching that situation and reacted too slowly. Still sucks for him since it was clearly the other drivers fault, and the other driver was underage and uninsured since he's now permanently damaged (leg is screwed up) and massively in debt from the medical bills from that wreck.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

If you watch his mirror he was also riding with left hand on hip, in the upright chill out position. Again, as I watched it I was like REACT REACT REACT and he did nothing for a full half second that probably could have avoided the whole thing.

Too comfortable, lowered his guard, the inevitable happened and he wasn't ready. Yes, the girl shouldn't have pulled out in front of him but he lost a lot of reaction time due to not being on the ball.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

sneakyfrog posted:

buncha old rear end curmudgeons itt that forgot being in their early 20s and loving (badly) with your car.

I spray painted the interior of my Ranger. :iia: It was not awesome. It held up surprisingly well over the years, right up until it all fell to poo poo. One door mostly peeled off, the other didn't.
I've since realized that black/red is not the coolest thing, and there is nothing wrong with gray.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jul 27, 2017

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

LloydDobler posted:

If you watch his mirror he was also riding with left hand on hip, in the upright chill out position. Again, as I watched it I was like REACT REACT REACT and he did nothing for a full half second that probably could have avoided the whole thing.

Too comfortable, lowered his guard, the inevitable happened and he wasn't ready. Yes, the girl shouldn't have pulled out in front of him but he lost a lot of reaction time due to not being on the ball.

If you read his replies to various people in the comments, he agrees with everything you said. Guy seems pretty chill, not pretending he did nothing wrong, but unfortunately, nothing can turn back the clock and let him have a re-do on that day.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Oops.

South Yorkshire Police posted:

Afternoon folks, were you stuck in traffic this afternoon on the M1 south around junction 37? If so, here's why...

Officers were deployed to a single vehicle collision with reports that the vehicle had left the carriageway and burst in to flames. Road conditions were wet at the time and as officers arrived on scene it became clear there was a vehicle well alight and colleagues from South Yorkshire Fire & Rescue were in attendance squirting water all over some kind of sporty motor some 50 or so meters down a banking... As we are an inquisitive bunch we found the driver and were amazed to see he only had minor cuts and bruises!

Officers asked the driver what sort of car he 'had' to which he replied "It was a Ferrari". Detecting a sense of damaged pride he then said "I've only just got it, picked it up an hour ago".

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I guess in his case he should have made sure he could afford three Ferrari's before buying one.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Dude, people are still fighting motorcycle helmet laws. poo poo ain't gonna change no matter how many stupid people die irresponsibly aka "nothing is fool-proof to a talented fool"

Evel loving Knievel said you should wear a loving helmet. What more do those idiots need?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Fo3 posted:

Neither does WA and the cops don't give a toss if you're going 4km/hr over as well.

What is rego costs over there? Here it's about $750 per year or $400 6m, and that includes compulsory 3rd party injury as that is still handled by the state.

Mine was closer to $800 this year, but unless you are a pensioner you have to pay the full 12 months.