Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

ledge posted:

Yep, no high vis vests.
Background: Operators were wearing PPE.

Result: Operators were injured.

Conclusion: PPE caused their injury.

Solution: Stop wearing PPE.

Also holy poo poo that gearbox design was so bad. It's exactly the kind of thing a grizzled old fart would complain about modern designs fixing. "In MY day our valves blew up periodically and we handled it like MEN."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Three-Phase posted:

If I ran the CSB id be way too tempted to make a spoof 3D video narrated by that guy.

"At 7:45 AM on Monday, May 22, 2017, a school bus picked up a group of children for a field trip to the natural history museum. The school bus carried twenty-eight children, ranging in ages from eight to ten, two teachers, and two chaperones. At 7:52 the bus approached a level crossing. The driver stopped, checked for trains, and proceeded across the tracks without incident. At 8:02 the bus turned and followed behind a tanker carrying liquified chlorine. As the tanker truck moved on, the school bus turned and parked at the art museum lot. Everyone went in and had a wonderful time exploring the exhibits, seeing live animals, and watching the planetarium show. It was about the solar system. At 3:45 the school bus left the museum and returned to the school without incident. Except for Sally Allenson, who reported being called a 'doodie head' by Jimmy Beaumont."

(CSB Logo)

They should do exactly this for April Fool's some year.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

It's brutal that they had 3% of the old style in service. Few enough that a worker might not have worked on one to see the flaw before the critical failure. What a landmine.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
http://i.imgur.com/1y1pI7Y.gifv

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Surprise! Concrete is heavy!

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer
Lol, "let's dump the concrete in one place, then distribute the weight evenly" with a concentration of people stressing the center even more.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

I'm enjoying the utter lack of reaction to a coworker's potential grisly death

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

speaking of grisly death

WARNING: DEATH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QV_zTsmr1Q

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression
Welp, that's good evidence to reinforce my fear of carnival rides :catstare:

I like thrill rides but I only really ride theme park coasters at this point. Something about the constant set up and tear down of fair rides makes me really leery.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

VectorSigma posted:

speaking of grisly death

Is it bad that I now want to start a video series of seemingly imminent catastrophes photobombed by a guy in a cartoonish grim reaper costume?

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

VectorSigma posted:

speaking of grisly death

I'm betting a cotter pin was "replaced" with a nail or something. Same thing happened here a few years back. Bent nails because "cotter pins" are expensive.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

VectorSigma posted:

speaking of grisly death

I saw the warning, I'm not squeamish, and I still closed that window after the break.

gently caress.

:(

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Saw the problem almost right away, makes sense given that most of the newer models had a different design. Breaking with procedure and a design difference = boom.

Their graphics team is improving. I'm torn: I want the narrator to narrate my life but I don't want to die in a horrific OSHA incident. :ohdear:

Memento posted:

Rickety deathtraps operated by itinerant amphetamine enthusiasts.

Please don't discuss my morning commute with such flowery prose.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jul 27, 2017

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

weg posted:

Welp, that's good evidence to reinforce my fear of carnival rides :catstare:

I like thrill rides but I only really ride theme park coasters at this point. Something about the constant set up and tear down of fair rides makes me really leery.

An entirely justified, correct fear to have. Rickety deathtraps operated by itinerant amphetamine enthusiasts.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
Well it's hard not to be enthusiastic about amphetamines

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Well it's hard not to be enthusiastic about amphetamines

Yes but some people are, yknow, connoisseurs.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
[Swirls snifter of oily liquid]

"Mmm yes, a substituted cathinone freebase, a fine vintage" [takes a sip]

[3 days later running down the middle of the freeway in a philly phanatic mascot outfit] "That's the good stuff!"

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

VectorSigma posted:

speaking of grisly death

:stare:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Phanatic posted:

"A piece of equipment called a 'gearbox.'"

Is there anything technically incorrect in this statement?

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Why does anybody ever get on a carnival ride? Unless you want the last thing you ever hear to be a blown out speaker blasting Enter Sandman, why take the risk? Do you see who assembles and maintains those rides?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Arms_Akimbo posted:

Why does anybody ever get on a carnival ride? Unless you want the last thing you ever hear to be a blown out speaker blasting Enter Sandman, why take the risk? Do you see who assembles and maintains those rides?

only god can judge me

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Arms_Akimbo posted:

You're probably more likely to die in a plane crash.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The accelerator wire broke so the map reader climbed into the back to handle the carburetor. They were only going about 80 though and another car only almost crashed into the back (because they were only going 80) but drove into the ditch instead so no worries!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

GotLag posted:

It’s like “He got into a conveyance called a ‘car’.”

There’s nothing technically wrong with it, but it’s a goofy way to word it.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
There are probably quite a few viewers of their videos who have never heard the term "gearbox" used outside the context of "that thing in my car with the stick coming out of it".

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
but they are happy to use the phrase 'sulphuric acid alkylation unit where isobutanes and olefins are converted'

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Better with sound:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TneTkj7pChw

Note the disposal company slogan, visible at 2:10
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rktMzw2fd28

GotLag fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Jul 27, 2017

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

VectorSigma posted:

speaking of grisly death

that's not a malfunction that's a catastrophic faliure

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

That poo poo is so evil and hilarious.

I remember during my basic training, there was a drill sergeant loving with recruits at the top of the rappelling tower.

:saddowns: line 1 on rappel! *Stands on side of tower*
:mil101: oh poo poo private, you tied your Swiss seat the left-handed way! Uh just hold that line real tight when you go down!
:confused: uhhhh
:mil101: go go go hurry up there's a line you'll be fine just hold it right! No poo poo left!
:saddowns:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

GotLag posted:

Better with sound:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TneTkj7pChw

Note the disposal company slogan, visible at 2:10
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rktMzw2fd28

I dunno how you gently caress up disposing fireworks just set them off one at a time and have a blast for like a month straight.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

PostNouveau posted:

I dunno how you gently caress up disposing fireworks just set them off one at a time and have a blast for like a month straight.

Why not just dump them in a pile and set fire to them all at once from a long distance?

You could even sell tickets to it.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

spog posted:

but they are happy to use the phrase 'sulphuric acid alkylation unit where isobutanes and olefins are converted'

The majority of their written output is, I think, targeted at industrial chemists. "Don't mix X and Y in batch sizes of greater than Z, unless your reaction unit has at least volume A, or B if it can be refrigerated at n MJ/hr".

With the funding uncertainty, maybe they'll palm process issues to OSHA and focus more on reaction chains you want to keep a closer eye on. Number 6 in the list will surprise you.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

VectorSigma posted:

speaking of grisly death

Thanks for the reminder as to why I don't go to theme parks/amusement parks/local fairs and likely never will again. :stonk:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

GotLag posted:

Not at all. I just think it's a pretty safe assumption that anyone watching that video knows what a gearbox is. I mean, I could understand saying "a piece of equipment called an alkylation unit" but "a piece of equipment called a gearbox" sounds like "a piece of equipment called a welder" or "a chemical reaction called a fire."

GotLag posted:

There are probably quite a few viewers of their videos who have never heard the term "gearbox" used outside the context of "that thing in my car with the stick coming out of it".

But then they know what a gearbox is. The video even goes on to explain what the function of this particular gearbox is. If someone watching that video doesn't know generally what a gearbox does, they're not going to know what isobutane is, but the narrator doesn't refer to that as "a volatile petroleum product called isobutane."

It's just odd, that's all.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jul 27, 2017

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

PostNouveau posted:

I dunno how you gently caress up disposing fireworks

It's me I'm the guy cutting open fireworks and rolling around in an office chair over the concrete floor littered with loose black powder

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

spog posted:

Uh, it's the Chemical Safety Board, not the Gearbox Safety Board, duh.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Goonsay levels approaching critical

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Phanatic posted:

But then they know what a gearbox is. The video even goes on to explain what the function of this particular gearbox is. If someone watching that video doesn't know generally what a gearbox does, they're not going to know what isobutane is, but the narrator doesn't refer to that as "a volatile petroleum product called isobutane."

It's just odd, that's all.

That's not relevant to the incident. The gearbox is.