Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Any pbta battle works best when you've got an action scene, rather than just a fight. Most of the best action scenes have more moving parts to them than just two sides slugging it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
So as mentioned before, I was working up a list of good playbooks to pull from for games on the fly. I've explicitly and intentionally made it a large list because the idea is to have a large master pool to then curate further for specific games. Since I know every playbook in the large pool is solid, it makes cutting it down for a specific game much easier.

Right now, my list looks like:

The Artificer
The Barbarian
The City Thief
The Dashing Hero
The Druid
The Dwarf
The Elf
The Gladiator
The Halfling
The Immolator
The Initiate
The Orc
The Peerless Fighter
The Priest
The Princess
The Ranger
The Slayer
The Spellslinger
The Templar
The Witch

Things I'd like advice on:
  • Are any of the other Core books worth adding?
  • Which of the Inverse World playbooks should I add?
  • Should I add any or all of the Revised playbooks? I'm trying to avoid doubling up too badly - I'm okay with both The Witch and The Arcanist, for example, because there's a fairly clear narrative distinction between them, but The Peerless Fighter and the Warrior feel like they overlap too much.
  • On the same note, are there any that do overlap a lot and I should pick one of and drop the other? And which should be kept? As a GM, I find I care less about mechanical overlap than narrative - the Barbarian and the Peerless Fighter have distinct stories, so I don't really worry about them both being combat focused.
  • I'm not a huge fan of the <*> Mage books as a DW GM, I find them a little too strong and don't particularly love the "it's a wizard, but specialized" narrative. But are there any that really fit a niche not already covered here?
  • Are there any other playbooks I should consider that haven't been mentioned at all?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I've found the entirety of Inverse World to be rather solid, actually. You might need to reflavor things if they're outside of Sola, but that's the extent of things.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

The Prize Fighter seemed really fun, I got a dude who had absolutely no experience with rpg's or fantasy in general into DW with it. The combo mechanic was pretty neat.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Comrade Gorbash posted:

[*]Should I add any or all of the Revised playbooks? I'm trying to avoid doubling up too badly - I'm okay with both The Witch and The Arcanist, for example, because there's a fairly clear narrative distinction between them, but The Peerless Fighter and the Warrior feel like they overlap too much.
[*]On the same note, are there any that do overlap a lot and I should pick one of and drop the other? And which should be kept? As a GM, I find I care less about mechanical overlap than narrative - the Barbarian and the Peerless Fighter have distinct stories, so I don't really worry about them both being combat

Generally the revised or updated core books are meant to replace the standard ones because they tend to have moves that are better suited and more player driven for DW than the standard core books.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

I've added a "This is Why We Can't Have Nice Things" XP award in response to the party's wizard setting off a fireball in the hold of their ship during the game's second session.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!
A simple question that has probably been asked before but I've never seen it come up: If a Wizard takes the Prodigy advanced move ("Choose a spell. You prepare that spell as if it were one level lower."), presumably this would turn a 3rd level spell into a 1st level spell, and a 5th into a 3rd, etc., because I mean depending on how it's read it could turn a 3rd level spell into a mythical 2nd level spell, of which there are none, but I assume "one level lower" would mean down a level and not literally "reduce the number by one and that's the new level"?

What do you all think?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
It's probably not reducing the number by one. IDK how many spells are using levels as factors in how they work.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!

rumble in the bunghole posted:

It's probably not reducing the number by one. IDK how many spells are using levels as factors in how they work.

Basically you can prepare up to your level +1 levels of spells, but the highest level of spell that you can prepare is your level.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Infinite Oregano posted:

A simple question that has probably been asked before but I've never seen it come up: If a Wizard takes the Prodigy advanced move ("Choose a spell. You prepare that spell as if it were one level lower."), presumably this would turn a 3rd level spell into a 1st level spell, and a 5th into a 3rd, etc., because I mean depending on how it's read it could turn a 3rd level spell into a mythical 2nd level spell, of which there are none, but I assume "one level lower" would mean down a level and not literally "reduce the number by one and that's the new level"?

What do you all think?

No, that's exactly what it does. It will turn your 3rd level spell into a mythical 2nd level spell. Prodigy basically exists to let you use higher level spells one level early, or to squeeze in an extra 1st level spell when preparing your spells for the day. It can also make a 1st level spell into a 0 level spell, letting you prepare it for free in addition to anything else you wanted.

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault
Hey friends

Just dropping by to say how much I love this system. I'd been slowly moving away from DnD into more narritive based stuff since I started playing TTRPGs about 5 years ago, but DW has really been the most fun both my party and I (as the GM) has had since we started.

I just can't get over how easy it is to run a game, follow the GM moves + the principles and let the game flow naturally into interesting stories which feel right.

For actual content (apologies if this has been discussed before, I don't have search on the forums :stare: ) we started using Drives and Flags as replacements for Alignments and Bonds respectivally and we found it to be wwaaaayyyy more fun/in narritive than what's offered in the original rules.

I'm not gonna go on about how cool they are (unless you want me to go into detail from my games/what I've learned!) but our group has certainly all agreed they liked these better

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

kaffo posted:

I'm not gonna go on about how cool they are (unless you want me to go into detail from my games/what I've learned!) but our group has certainly all agreed they liked these better

I'd love to hear more.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

kaffo posted:

Hey friends

Just dropping by to say how much I love this system. I'd been slowly moving away from DnD into more narritive based stuff since I started playing TTRPGs about 5 years ago, but DW has really been the most fun both my party and I (as the GM) has had since we started.

I just can't get over how easy it is to run a game, follow the GM moves + the principles and let the game flow naturally into interesting stories which feel right.

For actual content (apologies if this has been discussed before, I don't have search on the forums :stare: ) we started using Drives and Flags as replacements for Alignments and Bonds respectivally and we found it to be wwaaaayyyy more fun/in narritive than what's offered in the original rules.

Please, my new-to-tabletop gaming group is struggling with alignment and bonds and this looks a little more instructive.

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

poor life choice posted:

Please, my new-to-tabletop gaming group is struggling with alignment and bonds and this looks a little more instructive.

Subjunctive posted:

I'd love to hear more.

Ok ladies, here we go.

A quick description so you don't need to go to the other web page:

Flags are a replacement for bonds (which really suck if you ask me). The idea is you come up with two adjectives for your character, and an instruction tied to each adjective telling other players how to use that flag to get them XP.
For example, if my character had the Curious flag with the instruction "convince me to try something I probably shouldn’t." then another PC would be trying to convince you to do something daft to get them XP. This might be in a dungeon, where there's an obviously trapped chest, and the other PC starts saying "on you go, come on, you are dying to find out!". Then they get XP.
They encourage play you normally wouldn't see. I think bonds have this problem where they are hyper specific and only between two PCs. So you get these boring, forced conversations where everyone else has to sit on the phones and not listen until you "resolve" it. Because come on... When do those things ever resolve?
Flags don't resolve, they are part of your character. So they are easier to remember too as the game goes on. (Although they can change if you feel you've had some CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT)
Futhermore, a flag is an invitation to everyone, so anyone can get stuck in. This may lead to that Curious character getting shafted like 5 times in a session, but it will always be fun and in the fiction.

In my game I've already seen some really fun play off these which we never got with bonds. Our cleric is a nut case dwarf who's entire religion is revolves fearing "The Depths". He chose a flag which was something like "Use my religion to make me do something I don't want to", so the wizard now gets under his character's skin with stuff like "better not go down that alleyway, THE DEPTHS COULD BE DOWN THERE!" all the while laughing while the cleric runs away like a little girl... Then the wizard gets XP!

Mechanics wise it changes the Aid move so it's a little more generic, no longer has it got to do with some mysterious bond you apparently have that somehow helps you pull your mate out of a deep hole.

Drives are basically flags, but for you personally. They really aren't too far flug from alignments, but they come with a couple of unique rules which make a huge difference.
First they get rid of alignments, which I personally have always disliked. While I entirely agree a character can probably be classed under one of the 9 alignments... I hate when it becomes the go to for what they do. "Oh I'm good so I guess I'd save this guy? Even though he's actually a murdered and he killed my best friend... But I'm good so ok!". But it still keeps the goal, albeit the goals are now more due to personality traits than just being outright good or evil.
Secondly they are built specificially to cause a decision. None of these are "stab a dude because you are a fighter with a sword and you'll do it anyway", no. These are more like "You are a loud barbarian who can't keep his mouth shut, get an XP when you spoil a social event with your brutish ways". So you get this choice: Do I blurt out and get the XP for it? Or do I keep my mouth shut and hope everything goes well? Either way something will happen and it'll be interesting.

Drives in my game have so far happened mostly due to my players liking to play their characters right. Our fighter chose Proud: Put someone in their place (or grave) for disrespecting you. An NPC tried to tell him he was being an idiot for attempting to open an obviously magically locked chest, then the figher broke his jaw. So he got his XP! But he was going to punch the NPC anyway, even though it caused the guy to avoid saving the fighter in a later fight.

So yeah, I'm a big fan of both.
My personal advice would be:
  • Do bonds at character creation, but only use them for story/getting the group together. Write down flags on your sheet for play
  • For new players keep alignments. Drives require you to do some thinking about what your character is like. As much as I hate alignments, I think they help newbies make decisions
  • For vets/players who just get into character, swap out for a drive. You can do it mid game easily and they are more fun
If you have any questions, I'll happily answer :cool:

edit: Oh and poor life choice, while I say alignments might be easier for new players, it might not always be the case. But I can easily see you getting the old "oh, but I don't know what my character is like or what they want!". Which is where "I'm an evil wizard" makes things much simpler. However flags are easy, you just scroll down the list and pick 2 if you are lost, then build a character around them!

kaffo fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jul 27, 2017

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

Comrade Gorbash posted:

So as mentioned before, I was working up a list of good playbooks to pull from for games on the fly. I've explicitly and intentionally made it a large list because the idea is to have a large master pool to then curate further for specific games. Since I know every playbook in the large pool is solid, it makes cutting it down for a specific game much easier.

The Artificer
The Barbarian
The City Thief
The Dashing Hero
The Druid
The Dwarf
The Elf
The Gladiator
The Halfling
The Immolator
The Initiate
The Orc
The Peerless Fighter
The Priest
The Princess
The Ranger
The Slayer
The Spellslinger
The Templar
The Witch

Things I'd like advice on:
  • Are any of the other Core books worth adding?
  • Which of the Inverse World playbooks should I add?
  • Should I add any or all of the Revised playbooks? I'm trying to avoid doubling up too badly - I'm okay with both The Witch and The Arcanist, for example, because there's a fairly clear narrative distinction between them, but The Peerless Fighter and the Warrior feel like they overlap too much.
  • On the same note, are there any that do overlap a lot and I should pick one of and drop the other? And which should be kept? As a GM, I find I care less about mechanical overlap than narrative - the Barbarian and the Peerless Fighter have distinct stories, so I don't really worry about them both being combat focused.
  • I'm not a huge fan of the <*> Mage books as a DW GM, I find them a little too strong and don't particularly love the "it's a wizard, but specialized" narrative. But are there any that really fit a niche not already covered here?
  • Are there any other playbooks I should consider that haven't been mentioned at all?

I'd definitely recommend The Psion and The Spellsword. Other than that I'd consider maybe The Namer, The Warlock (I'd provide a link but it's gone and I don't know how long), and The Shaman.

Of the Inverse World classes they're mostly good. I mean there's certain considerations to make regarding them, namely that The Captain will make the game be about airships if you have them (or whatever other vehicle if you go the suggested route regarding different settings as noted in Inverse World), The Collector might step on the toes of The Wizard somewhat because it's all about problem solving, The Golem might create an odd dynamic or be a setting element that might not be wanted (depending on how magical or technological the implied setting is etc), also The Survivor can turn fighting otherwise impossible threats (or die trying) into a single roll affair, so its inclusion might be dependent on whether that is a desired ability or not. But I like them all, really.

Edit: Actually I just noticed you never included either the Mage or the Wizard in your list so the Collector might be better suited to this than you'd expect (I mean there might be some overlap with the Witch but hey).

Infinite Oregano fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jul 27, 2017

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I've had some luck about as follows.

Alignments stay as they are, though I have the Drives from Inverse World to back them up for end of session. Once per session, you can "tap your alignment" in a relevant situation to roll with Advantage/Hope/Something Extra, in that you roll 3d6 and keep 2 before adding whatever bonus. At end of session, if you tapped your alignment you get an XP, and then the big list comes out to pick from, especially if you didn't tap your alignment.

Bonds stay blank to start. If you want to help somebody out you have to write their name in the bond and explain how it's helping. Then you don't roll anything - they just roll with Advantage/Hope/Something Extra.

If you're in favor of the "bond savior" idea, when somebody rolls a 6 or 9 and somebody else can make an Aid roll to bump it to a 7 or 10, that can happen here, too - you tap your alignment or write a name in a bond after the fact, and then roll a single die. That die knocks one of the dice out of the existing roll, original roller's choice.

At end of session, pick one of your bonds that was fulfilled, either by the act of jumping in to help out or some other way. If you can, mark XP as normal, then advance the bond -- cross off the old bond and write that person's name on your character sheet, leaving some space around them to write in a bond. For each of your other filled bonds, choose either to erase the name or advance the bond, but without marking XP. You can use an advanced bond to help the person it's with as normal - write in something you've been up to in the off-session time that would help.

If you're out of blanks or can't think of something good but want to help anyway, or if you want to interfere with somebody, roll (2 + bonds with that person)d6, and they roll 2d6 as normal. Advanced bonds count, even if you haven't filled them out yet. Then you each take 2 dice out of the resulting pool*. Treat your roll as +0 and look to the normal aid/interfere rules to see what happens; they get their attribute bonus as normal. (* if you tried to interfere, take dice in the following order: they give you one, you give them one, you take one, they take one.)

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

Infinite Oregano posted:

I'd definitely recommend The Psion and The Spellsword. Other than that I'd consider maybe The Namer, The Warlock (I'd provide a link but it's gone and I don't know how long), and The Shaman.

Of the Inverse World classes they're mostly good. I mean there's certain considerations to make regarding them, namely that The Captain will make the game be about airships if you have them (or whatever other vehicle if you go the suggested route regarding different settings as noted in Inverse World), The Collector might step on the toes of The Wizard somewhat because it's all about problem solving, The Golem might create an odd dynamic or be a setting element that might not be wanted (depending on how magical or technological the implied setting is etc), also The Survivor can turn fighting otherwise impossible threats (or die trying) into a single roll affair, so its inclusion might be dependent on whether that is a desired ability or not. But I like them all, really.

Edit: Actually I just noticed you never included either the Mage or the Wizard in your list so the Collector might be better suited to this than you'd expect (I mean there might be some overlap with the Witch but hey).

Actually there's one more playbook I'd definitely recommend that I just remembered: The Cultist

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Thanks for the suggestions! I did add all of those.

I'm just about done putting together my collection. I ended up making a decision to not have the Inverse World books in the folder if only because there isn't a separate set of playbook files which makes it harder to pull them as needed, though I'm leaving them on the master list I'm working from. I pulled the Spellslinger because I added a bunch more wizard-like classes (the ones suggest plus the Arcanist) and it felt like the least needed.

The specific questions I have left are:
• What's the best Necromancer type playbook? Necromancer is a common request I run into that isn't quite covered by anything else I'm really looking at. I know there's one in Grim World but have avoided that source up to now.

• Speaking of Grim World... Are there any playbooks I should strongly consider from it? They're more powerful than standard so I've shied away from them, but the Shaman in particular is very intriguing.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Thanks for the suggestions! I did add all of those.

I'm just about done putting together my collection. I ended up making a decision to not have the Inverse World books in the folder if only because there isn't a separate set of playbook files which makes it harder to pull them as needed, though I'm leaving them on the master list I'm working from. I pulled the Spellslinger because I added a bunch more wizard-like classes (the ones suggest plus the Arcanist) and it felt like the least needed.

The specific questions I have left are:
• What's the best Necromancer type playbook? Necromancer is a common request I run into that isn't quite covered by anything else I'm really looking at. I know there's one in Grim World but have avoided that source up to now.

• Speaking of Grim World... Are there any playbooks I should strongly consider from it? They're more powerful than standard so I've shied away from them, but the Shaman in particular is very intriguing.

The Grim World one is really good, there's a free one kicking around somewhere that I thought was ok, and I made one, which I think is pretty good. Here's a goon discount link

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

The Grim World one is really good, there's a free one kicking around somewhere that I thought was ok, and I made one, which I think is pretty good. Here's a goon discount link
Thanks very much!

Funny note - for the most part I've been paring down by finding playbooks that have different names but are functionally the same. The exception is the Shaman where I'm looking at three wildly different playbooks that all have the same name.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Any good plays of this on line or preferably in a podcast you've seen lately?

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

I nearly shed a tear last night when, after the session, I asked my players for criticism and they all said "We'd like more creative input in the world, let us make more awesome stuff on the world map so we can go explore it"

I think after years of going through different people I've finally found a great group :unsmith:

Context: I've always found it hard to get players to really be interested/invested in a game, and it seems like this one has taken the bait.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Any good plays of this on line or preferably in a podcast you've seen lately?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooa-apRt2wk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5FZ1Hw2EHs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UGme0TVMCE&t=37s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBJr6vmBRjg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfxyS-83pDg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQx4pNVq8Xc&t=46s

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...
Hello, thread! I'm running Dungeon World for the first time. I haven't played before, either, which means my experience is limited. Fortunately, it's a PbP, which means I get time to look stuff up and think before I respond. It also means I'll need advice.

The game is set in the D&D 4E Astral Sea, more or less, with a focus on exploring the unknown Deep Astral. The characters are largely connected to dead or dying gods somehow: a wizard who sees a god's body in his dreams, the cleric and paladin of a pair of dying rival deities, and a hobgoblin ranger whose people's nobility murdered their evil god in a bid for greater power--only to find themselves more free than they'd expected.

With two divine characters, there's going to be a lot of divine guidance.

What kinds of things might a dying deity want, besides "more followers" and "something to restore me"?

The Cleric has the move Orison for Guidance: When you sacrifice something of value to your deity and pray for guidance, your deity tells you what it would have you do. If you do it, mark experience.

What kind of stuff might a deity tell their cleric to do that's not starting up a whole new "side-quest"? This would normally be easier, but they'll be spending a lot of time in the Deep Astral, going from island to island.

LogicNinja fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Aug 14, 2017

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

The God wants to make sure his legacy is intact, because when the last person on the mortal plane speaks his name, he dies forever and cannot be resurrected. Part of adventuring also means checking in on the temples and spreading the word of the deity to the people. Maybe they also have to take out cults that are on the different Astral islands (a little genocidal but so is murdering a kobold town so eh)

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
What are things most people who are dying think about? A lot work just fine for gods. Worrying about their children: just because they're demigods doesn't mean they might not need help from some adventurers. Hell, maybe whatever brought the god down is going after them next. Legacy: most gods care very much for their domain, and probably would like some way for it to stay supported even if they aren't there anymore. Comfort care: maybe there's something you can get or do for the god to make the whole dying thing less painful for them. Making amends/getting closure: imagine trying to carry a peace offering between the dying deity and their traditional rival/sibling. Or of course one last gently caress you to an enemy for a god feeling a tad more spiteful. There are a bunch of possibilities there that are less cliché than "stop me from dying"; hell, a god that's actually accepted their oncoming death and just wants to "tidy up" makes a very nice twist from that.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Jesus I've not seen that name in like a goddamn eon.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

ProfessorCirno posted:

Jesus I've not seen that name in like a goddamn eon.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Real life's been busy, and I've been playing in and running FATE stuff for my RL group. How've you been?

Also, I'm putting together some custom moves for an astral ship.

How's this look:
The ship has a Well-Appointed Interior: When you sit quietly and relax, engage your comrades in conversation, study the star-charts, or contemplate a wonder in the ships's comfortable quarters, gain Bolstered. You may expend Bolstered to get +1 on any roll where remembering the comfort and warmth of the ship helps you somehow.
When you Recover inside the ship, recover as if you were under the care of a healer.
When you Recruit, gain +1 to recruit anyone you'll allow to stay in your comfortable officer's quarters rather than in the separate crew quarters.

I also want one that has to do with stealth. It's either going to be a Githyanki skiff (the sails fold away, everything else is silvery-grey to blend in with the sea) or a damaged vessel from one of Erathis' Dawn War fleets (it has stained-glass sails that become either transparent or take on the color of the background, and the ship's body changes color to blend in with the background, too). I'm not sure whether to represent this as a move, a bonus, or just a Stealthy tag.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

MadDogMike posted:

What are things most people who are dying think about? A lot work just fine for gods. Worrying about their children: just because they're demigods doesn't mean they might not need help from some adventurers. Hell, maybe whatever brought the god down is going after them next. Legacy: most gods care very much for their domain, and probably would like some way for it to stay supported even if they aren't there anymore. Comfort care: maybe there's something you can get or do for the god to make the whole dying thing less painful for them. Making amends/getting closure: imagine trying to carry a peace offering between the dying deity and their traditional rival/sibling. Or of course one last gently caress you to an enemy for a god feeling a tad more spiteful. There are a bunch of possibilities there that are less cliché than "stop me from dying"; hell, a god that's actually accepted their oncoming death and just wants to "tidy up" makes a very nice twist from that.

There's two dying gods, even if they are rivals, so maybe they can agree to have a kid that stands a better chance than they do...

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

CainsDescendant posted:

The Prize Fighter seemed really fun, I got a dude who had absolutely no experience with rpg's or fantasy in general into DW with it. The combo mechanic was pretty neat.

Thanks, glad to hear someone liked it! I've always wanted to go back and do a little bit of a cleanup pass on it to iron out some things that may have sounded fun on paper but weren't in gameplay but I never really got to play DW again shortly after writing the Prize Fighter.

I'd like to get in on a goon DW session one of these days but I don't like PbP lol

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

After running Dungeon World for just a few pages of play-by-post, I gotta say, I like it a lot. It's moving a lot faster than any system I've played because it's more concerned with consequences than with action-by-action exchanges, and the rules for the GM keep me making moves that keep things exciting when I might not otherwise have done so. So does wanting to put each character in a place where I can ask them "what do you do?" and have it be a meaningful and immediate decision, rather than, like, "so what are you guys doing now?"

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

PbtA games are real good y'all.

There's a lot of talk about DW being the gateway drug to narrative games, and to be honest it's true - for the GM. It doesn't really force players to change much so it's overblown in that regard. But from the GM side of the table there's fewer vestigial D&D-isms and it does a good job of laying out principals and moves for GMs new to PbtA.

As a general rule, I've found that running PbtA makes you a better player of PbtA. So see if you can get your players to run a one shot.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
my group got a lot better at playing dungeon world when we had a adventure-of-the-week style game where everyone had a character, but whoever's turn it was to GM had his character stay on the ship with the NPC crew while the other guys had an adventure on whichever island/port town they decided to land this time. The game kind of petered out because it was meandering all over the place but I think my players did learn to be more creative and roll with cooler things even when they're players afterwards, and seeing how failing forward is cool & good. If there's the inherent trust between the group that nobody's going to dick you over, you're a lot more willing to stop gaming the system and work together towards a specific narrative or cool story.

EDIT: by which I mean to play like pbta games are meant to be played. It eases you into the more inter-PC conflict driven games like monsterhearts or apocalypse world if there's trust in your group.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Honestly, I think "Adventure of the Week" style games are better then one-shots at teaching and trying out the game, at least with something like Dungeon World where it doesn't take the GM a goddamn year to read through the rules. The round robin nature ensures you kinda stress test the game with loooots of variables, as each game you got a different DM who's probably got a different way of doing things and different themes that interest them, so you get to put your characters though all kinds of situations. At the same time, each player gets to DM, meaning the GM sided rules are likewise being stress tested the same. By the end, everyone will probably have a good idea on how ALL the rules work, how to work with them, and if they enjoyed it. And of course, because it's Adventure of the Week, there really isn't much in the way of prep. Not long term, at any rate.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Has anyone run tomb of horrors in dungeon world? I think it would fail in an interesting way.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

rumble in the bunghole posted:

Has anyone run tomb of horrors in dungeon world? I think it would fail in an interesting way.

Tomb of Horrors + FunnelWorld would be fun mashup.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The lack of a strict skill system coupled with having to "talk through" the process of disarming the various traps in the dungeon already puts TOH most of the way towards being a narrative game to begin with

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.
I realize I'm catching up to the thread a bit late, but

Comrade Gorbash posted:

So as mentioned before, I was working up a list of good playbooks to pull from for games on the fly. I've explicitly and intentionally made it a large list because the idea is to have a large master pool to then curate further for specific games...

Honest question here, guys: Is there a reason that Androc and my The Gallant never makes it onto these lists? Is there something about it that needs to be fixed/adjusted, or do we just get forgotten all the time? I see the Templar always makes it on and, to me, that playbook fills a very different niche as far as the whole Holy Warrior thing goes. (And one that I personally like much less, which is why I worked on The Gallant.)

Comrade Gorbash posted:

[*]Are there any other playbooks I should consider that haven't been mentioned at all?[/list]

The Brute is really great for when someone wants to be just absurdly strong and unstoppable as their whole thing without it boiling down to just being "bigger numbers!"
Its very first move starts with "When you pick up an enemy and swing them around": you can't go wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Man I need to hash out with my bard player exactly what the nature of their healing is, because it's a struggle to come up with interesting moves off the back of fails with it. I'm not quite ready and it's not quite in keeping with our campaign to like, disfigured people because the spell misfired and grew warts

It's also tricky to work into the conversation because it's a pretty hard mechanical action done for almost purely mechanical benefit. Any advice on making healing an interesting thing?