Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
If you're joining an in-progress, you're replacing someone who's either ragequit, been kicked, or their connection timed out. Chances are you're improving the party by connecting mid-dungeon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I'm in the "no new content and gently caress doing savage" doldrums and leveling all my main classes from 50 to 60 and possibly to 70

how much am I going to hate myself if I play machinist

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Blockhouse posted:

yeah unless I'm mistaken there's literally no reason to use scathe now. You should always be doing something more important.

I use scathe all the time. Thing about to die? Finish it with scathe, why delay its death 2.5s?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Truga posted:

I use scathe all the time. Thing about to die? Finish it with scathe, why delay its death 2.5s?

see if something's about to die for me I cast flare, because style is the most important thing

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Flare has a 4s cast time, the other dps is going to steal your kill.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

smh if you don't just run up and finish them off with the staff

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Okay I just finished The Vault, and...

Gearhead posted:

• Just remember. A smile better suits a hero.

:cry:

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

fakemirage posted:

Is the hero worship worth it?
I've only seen people abandon Trials out of frustration. In normal Dungeon runs that I can recall people dropping out, it has been due to connection or other technical issues, it wasn't because the run was going bad.
Oh, do share now!

I'll post a picture when I'm back on later tonight.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009
I decided to try out this game to scratch that MMO itch, and holy poo poo it's so bad. I've heard it gets better post-50 but I'm not sure I'll even make it that far. At level 25 (rogue) my DPS rotation is still essentially two buttons, all other skills are either extremely situational, completely useless, or have so long CD as not to be worth thinking about (frequently all three). The XP bonus means I'm still on the level 16 part of the main quest despite doing nothing but main and job quests, and all my gear is severely underleveled. Apparently the concept of AOE is treated like some sealed black magic that most people should have very sparing or no access to? The map is the worst map I've seen in any game period, and since the "click quest text to see where to go" function straight up doesn't work most of the time, just finding quest NPCs have turned into a real slog. The vast majority of my time is spent running from A to B to C to D and back to B again, with no mount in sight for a long time and only the lovely sprint skill to help me.

I guess I'll have to get to 30 and see if it's more fun as a ninja, but thus far this game has been nothing but frustrating and tedious.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Man I might actually have to level Bard at this point when one death is all it takes for tanks to almost take my 4th place spot on DPS as Machinist.

That ain't right that I'm upset about losing fourth place.

I mean I might have hosed up the wildfire rotation once or twice but still :smith:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
I can assure you it gets a lot better at 50+, but it's a long, boring slog to get there, and either you're enchanted enough by the world and the concept of a Final Fantasy MMO to stick it out, or you're not. It sounds like you aren't.

The upside is that, if you're willing to spend money, you can pay to skip ARR and/or get a level boost now.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

tyblazitar posted:

I guess I'll have to get to 30 and see if it's more fun as a ninja, but thus far this game has been nothing but frustrating and tedious.

I really can't fault people for saying this because imo it's kinda true. I could never take a new character through the story because of how tedious it is. I can promise you that it gets better and a thousand times more metal once you enter either the first raid wing or ishgard, you might also like the 35-50 section of the story but the beginning of the game is a weak slog. I hope you can stick it out because it is totally worth it though.

Apologies in advance for the pre-titan and pre-garuda quests taking forever.

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling
I think it took me about a month to grind through the ARR story, I'm glad I stuck with it. 346 quests (before HW) is pretty daunting and it's pretty easy to get burnt out once you hit 50 and get slammed with a ton of side-quests on top of the MSQ.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
The main core issue is that when they were designing the pre-2.0 endgame content, ie: everything in the first 40 hours, they intentionally dumbed everything down because they expected there to be a lot of new players who were very experienced in Final Fantasy but maybe had never looked at a MMO before and had never played WoW. So the plan is for the first 30 levels to literally be Babby's First MMO. You can see this in how the early class quests for tank or healer roles have entire quests designed to hammer in the concepts like "mobs should be attackiing YOU, gladiator" or "you have dps spells for a reason, conjurer", and combat below 50 is there to give an entirely fresh person the muscle memory for more complex rotations one very tiny step at a time.

I mean, well and good for when XIV launched but that was two years ago and I imagine there are a lot more people coming to it now who have probably played an mmo some time in their lives, especially in the west.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007
Sub 30 is bad especially as dps because of the dungeon queue times

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
The point where dungeons start becoming halfway interesting is Brayflox's Longstop at, I think, 32, and the plot conveniently starts becoming more compelling right after you finish the excruciating side arc that ends with the Longstop as well.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Sixfools posted:

I think it took me about a month to grind through the ARR story, I'm glad I stuck with it. 346 quests (before HW) is pretty daunting and it's pretty easy to get burnt out once you hit 50 and get slammed with a ton of side-quests on top of the MSQ.

Yeah, I ended up finishing ARR through the final big boss and skipping the 2.x stuff with the potion. No regrets, but I have no shame about looking up spoilers etc and you can go back and watch the cutscenes. I'm at the 3.1 stuff now, but it's way fewer quests so I'll probably not skip this time. I do like the story though.

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
Also ninjas sucks at low levels because, even more than other classes, their gimmick is nowhere to be found until later in the game (dragoons have this problem too)

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008

tyblazitar posted:

I decided to try out this game to scratch that MMO itch, and holy poo poo it's so bad. I've heard it gets better post-50 but I'm not sure I'll even make it that far. At level 25 (rogue) my DPS rotation is still essentially two buttons, all other skills are either extremely situational, completely useless, or have so long CD as not to be worth thinking about (frequently all three). The XP bonus means I'm still on the level 16 part of the main quest despite doing nothing but main and job quests, and all my gear is severely underleveled. Apparently the concept of AOE is treated like some sealed black magic that most people should have very sparing or no access to? The map is the worst map I've seen in any game period, and since the "click quest text to see where to go" function straight up doesn't work most of the time, just finding quest NPCs have turned into a real slog. The vast majority of my time is spent running from A to B to C to D and back to B again, with no mount in sight for a long time and only the lovely sprint skill to help me.

A few points:

• Rogue is pretty boring at low levels, but it's worse because of the recent ability culling in Stormblood. Normally you'd at least have a DoT to throw in by now. The mudras you get from Ninja make it much more interesting.
  • The "click quest text" almost always works, but if you're not in the zone it's pointing to, it'll just show you a zoomed-out version of the map with the quest marker next to one of the zone names. It's stupid, but you can click on the zone name to switch to that map and see the actual location. Not sure why you say the map sucks in general, are you looking at the multi-zone level? I haven't really had a problem with the single-zone map, it's basically just "you can walk in the lit-up area".
  • You can get a mount once you reach level 20 in the MSQ and join a Grand Company, so you're not too far off. That said, it sounds like you have a few dungeons to get through first.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I let my niece design my character and now I'm the cattiest catgirl ever. Oh dear.

Haha I want to see this too, post a screen! :3:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I legitimately don't remember: when do you get your chocobo so you can finally move a little faster without relying on Sprint? It seems like it's later than I remember.

tyblazitar posted:

Rogue is terrible at low levels, unfortunately. A friend of mine recently finished ARR for the first time and she played as Rogue--I don't think she enjoyed the gameplay at all until she was past level 40. I don't really understand how Rogue is designed at all, but it's basically half a class until you're like level 45, and then all of a sudden it completes and is amazing.

That said, the game is significantly dumbed down at low levels for reasons other people have described, and that's true for basically every class, unfortunately. I really hope they revisit those levels in the next expansion's inevitable "let's revise all the jobs again" pass.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

There are certain mental concessions you should make when leveling your first class and doing the story for the first time but if the game just isn't grabbing you within like 5 hours, it may not be for you. I don't think anyone who dislikes so much of the game is going to suddenly change that opinion at level 30 or even 50. Maybe switching classes will help, but then there's the hump of getting the new class up to speed.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

I liked the ARR stuff, even the titan thing :(

Thigh maybe only the latter because finally an NPC said out loud what I'd been thinking the whole time (Y'shtola :allears:)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

SettingSun posted:

There are certain mental concessions you should make when leveling your first class and doing the story for the first time but if the game just isn't grabbing you within like 5 hours, it may not be for you. I don't think anyone who dislikes so much of the game is going to suddenly change that opinion at level 30 or even 50. Maybe switching classes will help, but then there's the hump of getting the new class up to speed.

To a certain degree I think you're right, but I could also imagine someone with MMO experience (and who expects a good story, having been told that's FFXIV's strong point) having a very different first impression if they were just dropped right into level 50 and at the start of Heavensward. You'd probably need some kind of recap cinematic or something, but at least gameplay-wise, it'd be a much better experience.

Like I really wouldn't blame a new player for buying the jump to 60/skip to Stormblood items, but that's a huge upfront cost for a game you still might not like.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

UHD posted:

I did too, and so did most of the thread when it first came out.

Well, most of it anyway. And back then there was significantly less QoL stuff.

But the game just won't be for some people.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I think the only class remotely close to interesting below level 40 or 50 might be Pugilist. By level 30 you actually have a couple of different combo chains available to you and you actually have a sense of the class' core mechanics.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

If you're fairly confident in your skills as a tank or healer, are in-progress queues generally worth it? Based on people's experiences, is being matched with terrible, miserable, depressing players who are struggling to make it through a simple dungeon a common occurrence?

My last in-progression put me into the final boss of Ala Mhigo as a tank with a group of newbies who were stuck after their tank ragequit. I showed up, helped them wreck the boss, and got the mount as a drop for 5 minutes work with 3 coms in the mix.

Totally worth it.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

UHD posted:

Thigh maybe only the latter because finally an NPC said out loud what I'd been thinking the whole time (Y'shtola :allears:)

I enjoyed pretty much the whole thing when I was initially leveling up because the world was interesting enough that I wasn't bothered by the low level solo combat.

And the level 50 ARR quests didn't feel like a slog when I was interspersing them with unlocking all the hard mode dungeons and trials and postmoogle/Hildibrand quests and all the other stuff that opens up at 50

The ability changes they did for SB do feel kind of half-assed with regards to what they did to low level gameplay though and they should fix that, but I don't get the impression that they've looked at low level gameplay much since HW came out.

Fortuitous Bumble fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jul 27, 2017

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

tyblazitar posted:

A few people will vehemently disagree but I found the 1-50 content to be the most tedious boring poo poo and everything felt overly sloggy and packed with annoying filler. This is especially true of the post 50 2.x quests. They need to unlock core class combos a lot earlier in the game and cut out a lot of the garbage filler. And yes, if you've interacted with any other MMO map, this is definitely the worst one. I blame that on this not actually being an open world mmo rather than a big series of shared instances though.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tyblazitar posted:

The game gets progressively better in every aspect but the pace with which that happens is glacial. I made a post a while ago complaining about the class design and how it, amongst other things, makes leveling painful. If you can get through the rough edges there are great moments to be had in this game but I've never seen anyone have a gigantic change of heart. If you don't see any inkling of charm in it then it is very likely that the amount of played time until your complaints get addressed is probably bigger than you will want to spend because let me tell you something, this game's campaign is huge.

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

Questing is easily the worst part of this game. The gameplay involved is permanently trapped in Vanilla WoW/BC era. Aside from that weird sniping mini game they added in 4.0, anyway. Solo instances are cool, I guess, but they're fairly rare and they can't be repeated.

At least every bear has an rear end.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Cheap Trick posted:

Okay I just finished The Vault, and...

:cry:

Yeah, the HW story is a big step up from ARR.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I will absolutely agree that the class changes made in Stormblood have made the lower levels more barren in terms of new tricks. It mostly only affects people going through the story for the first time since there's Palace of the Dead for the rest of your classes, but that should probably get addressed at some point. It doesn't seem like SE put a lot of thought into how the ability cullings would affect still-leveling players (removing Sustain for arcanists is perhaps the biggest proof of this).

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

As someone who leveled three different characters to the level cap during Heavensward, and with multiple classes on each, I absolutely understand and agree with all of those complaints.

At least there's jump potions now.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Complaints about the map come up every once in a while with newer players but I don't see the issues with it? Maybe it's because the only other MMO I've played was WoW after I played this, but it's perfectly readable and serves its role just fine.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The map definitely isn't amazing, but it's pretty much fine, I think. I will say that the new "combined" map isn't that useful--it'd be great if a little more detail was included there--but otherwise I think it's fine.

You want a useless map, the one for GW2's expansion areas is just :psyduck:, though honestly I'm not sure how it could be much better, given how vertical and twisty those areas are. Representing those in a 2D map has to be a nightmare.

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009
What about Excite Bike?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Xarbala posted:

As someone who leveled three different characters to the level cap during Heavensward, and with multiple classes on each, I absolutely understand and agree with all of those complaints.

At least there's jump potions now.

You can only use one jump potion I thought :thunk:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Ryanbomber posted:

Questing is easily the worst part of this game. The gameplay involved is permanently trapped in Vanilla WoW/BC era. Aside from that weird sniping mini game they added in 4.0, anyway. Solo instances are cool, I guess, but they're fairly rare and they can't be repeated.

At least every bear has an rear end.

There are actually a few quests in which this is not the case :eng101:

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

You can only use one jump potion I thought :thunk:

Correct, and the limit is per account (ie. no making alts with jump potions).

orcane fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jul 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I can’t wait for them to lift that so I can skip the boring crap on more classes.