Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

KakerMix posted:

No, it's more that we're discussing what terms a bunch of marketers came up with (as pointed out earlier) to define huge groups of varied people while reminiscing about the youth we had.

- or -

stfu millenial

exactly :laugh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Apparently Darth Vader gave me a friendly pat on the back and a "Hello" today and I didn't even know.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

:argh: I joined up to serve my country and better myself and they kicked me out because they are a bunch of crybabies regarding personal identity :argh:

FTFY. Viewed through certain, common viewpoints (not mine, fwiw) joining the armed forces is the most patriotic and bestest thing you can do. It is also one of the few ways out of poverty for a large amount of people. Not that it should be, but it is.

This isn't going to stop trans people signing up - they will need to hide their identity, which isn't good for anybody, and will lead to problems for them, their mental health, and their service further down the line.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

:cry: I joined the largest, meanest, most unified military group in history and they're mean, terrible, nasty people who don't understand my individual personal identity :cry:

It's more that you sign up and do your job, which could involve dying for rando shitheads who deny your right to exist, and now your life is ruined because one guy is a loving bigot but your boss, which is kind of a kick in the pants.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

...people genuinely believe anything he says? :lolplant:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
No-one who remembers the 80s can be called a Millenial.

Edit: and the transgender thing is bloody stupid. If they can do the job, let them.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jul 27, 2017

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

stump posted:

It is also one of the few ways out of poverty for a large amount of people. Not that it should be, but it is.

Where I went to high school there were three real options in life. Army, factory work or coal mining. The mining paid well, but it was more to provide a good life for their family as it always killed them eventually.

e:

InitialDave posted:

No-one who remembers the 80s can be called a Millennial.

Just call me bitter and cynical then. Old enough to see how ridiculous things are getting.

General_Failure fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Jul 27, 2017

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
My hot take - If you dont like Transgender in the military then go gently caress yourself with a barbed wire dildo because you are a bigoted piece of poo poo.

Sinestro posted:

This is one of the few things Trump's done I'm not finding the ability to get angry about. I'm cool with not being able to be drafted to die in our next pointless quagmire in the Middle East or elsewhere.

You should because it's called the slippery slope and the cunts who wage these culture wars WILL go further and deny more rights if they are allowed to get away with this one.

And Millenial is just simply a tag for "Someone younger that Boomers have / are loving over but Boomers will whinge that they are lazy and entitled while at the same time Boomers got where they are with the entitlements they are ripping away from young people".

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

General_Failure posted:

Apparently Darth Vader gave me a friendly pat on the back and a "Hello" today and I didn't even know.

Does David Prowse live upside down now? I thought he was british

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Raluek posted:

Does David Prowse live upside down now? I thought he was british

Spencer Wilding actually.

e: I think he was just visiting.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
A millennial is everyone else except me, a millennial.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Ugh, I was born in 80. I choose to have the generational label "I was born in 80, whatevs."

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

in my experience the millennials who claim they arent really millennial are typically the older, super conservative ones who have terrible opinions on basically any social stance you could have

"heh yeah even though I'M a millennial i'm still a snowflake because i dont identify with them :smug:"

"THERE ARE ONLY TWO GENDERS, YOU CAN ONLY IDENTIFY WITH THE PARTS YOU WERE BORN WITH"

:thunk:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
The parts I was born with or the parts that were removed after birth? :v:

I'm a millennial, the spouse kinda is. Whatever. Just one more thing the boomers hate me for I guess. I don't give two shits anyway.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

cursedshitbox posted:

Just one more thing the boomers hate me for I guess.

We can't begin to fix the world until the last Boomer is gone. I love my parents and my wife loves hers, but gently caress Boomers.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

beep-beep car is go posted:

We can't begin to fix the world until the last Boomer is gone. I love my parents and my wife loves hers, but gently caress Boomers.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I can't wait for boomers to die so I can talk about brazil nuts without one of them bringing up a racial slur. Yes I know what they used to call them. Thank you.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I remember looking up the definition (by date) of Millennials to find out that I am apparently one. I don't really identify with them though. I am the caboose of five kids so I followed a lot of my siblings in what they do. When you talk to a Millennial and they don't understand why Dumb & Dumber is literal art and Tommy Boy is peak culture then I just don't even know what to think. I guess I am also a broken millennial because when I hear them bitch and moan about jobs and school debt I want to give them a talking to about bootstraps.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

cursedshitbox posted:

The parts I was born with or the parts that were removed after birth? :v:

I identify lots of people as being as useful as a removed foreskin.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
tbh classifying generational divides speaks more about the times ppl came of age in rather than the ppl themselves. most of us are millenials because we grew up in millenial times and not gen x times and its not any more complicated than that

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

beep-beep car is go posted:

This.

Also kinda weird. I was born in 82, wife was born in 86... we're both millenials but every so often we run into things where we generation gap each other.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I identify lots of people as being as useful as a removed foreskin.
Or in polite company, slinkies.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The only good thing about clearly defining a year that GenX ended and Millenials started is that I was born in 1979 which falls in the gap between so suck it everyone else.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

mekilljoydammit posted:

This.

Also kinda weird. I was born in 82, wife was born in 86... we're both millenials but every so often we run into things where we generation gap each other.

Yeah that depends a lot on how you were raised and your family finances. my wife is a month older than me but she didn't start using the internet until like 1999 whereas I started using it in 1996. Also a lot of cartoon references fly over her head because she didn't watch nickelodeon or Disney or whatever growing up whereas I did

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

she didn't start using the internet until like 1999 whereas I started using it in 1996
What, were you like 6?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Rhyno posted:

The only good thing about clearly defining a year that GenX ended and Millenials started is that I was born in 1979 which falls in the gap between so suck it everyone else.

Get off my lawn you drat young whippersnapper!

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Cage posted:

What, were you like 6?

Yeah we would use it to go to n64 cheat websites and to play unreal tournament with my dad

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Holy poo poo gamewinners dot com still exists

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Holy poo poo gamewinners dot com still exists
This is such a millennial way to type out websites. :rolleyes:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

You kids keep it down in here! I'm trying to take a nap. (Born a month after the moon landing. Class of '88)

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
People are different than me and that's cool. People also do things differently and that's also cool.

It's unfortunate in my mind that people with different views on both ends of the spectrum are so villified against eachother. Whether you're extreme left or extreme right or anywhere in between, it's a loss in my mind when you don't uplift community and instead segment.

I feel like people on both sides of the spectrum are way too concerned about carving out a spot from soceity for their individuality, to the detriment of society itself. Since society is made up of all of us individuals, that's just cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Be Chill To One Another.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

But it's human nature man. If we were all the same color and had the same beliefs we'd segment each other based on the shape of our toenails.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Adiabatic posted:

Be Chill To One Another.
You keep loving this up!

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Yep that post was more an "I'm team community" than a "We should solve the world", since telling everyone how to think would also be an extremist point of view. Anything's possible so everything's in play. I just broadcast consistently that I'm in favor of building community so I can find others like me.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Cage posted:

You keep loving this up!

That's a good one too :unsmith:

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
*air riff*

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

a major component of our political divide is a strenuous disagreement over who should or should not be permitted to be a full participant in the community

in other words, an unqualified "be excellent to each other" is basically left-wing communist talk, according to the hard right.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cage posted:

You keep loving this up!

Yup, that's far more appropriate.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Leperflesh posted:

a major component of our political divide is a strenuous disagreement over who should or should not be permitted to be a full participant in the community

in other words, an unqualified "be excellent to each other" is basically left-wing communist talk, according to the hard right.

Everyone is cool except mormons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

And on the left you have radical requirements of the right to completely change their behaviors immediately to the left's views, with calls to fascism and racism if they don't fall in line. I personally mostly agree with the left's rhetoric but their delivery is divisive.

e: I should definitely point out that I was doing it too before this election, but a significant portion of the population thinks differently than I do and I know they aren't all racist bigoted morons so I have since been making a genuine effort to understand.

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jul 27, 2017

• Locked thread