Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
http://taskandpurpose.com/texas-may...m_medium=social

quote:

In light of President Donald Trump’s Wednesday announcement that transgender Americans will be banned from serving in the military, Austin, Texas’ mayor had a message: Kicked out? Come to Austin.

In the first of a series of three tweets, Mayor Steve Adler said, “If you’re qualified to keep our country safe you’re qualified to keep Austin safe. Transgender Americans are welcome on our police force.” Adler continued, tweeting that Austin is the “safest big city in Texas” due to its respect for people’s differences. He also tweeted out a link to the application website for Austin Police Department: “If you get kicked out of the service because you’re transgender, please apply to join our police force.”

The Austin Police Department has a transgender officer, and a couple of years ago the city expanded its employee health care plan to cover transgender health services.

In addition, Austin interim Police Chief Brian Manley was among the law enforcement leaders from across Texas who gathered Tuesday at the state Capitol to oppose so-called “bathroom bills” involving transgender people. Manley said such bills would make communities less safe by diverting officers from addressing violent crime to enforcing a bathroom bill.

Austin Police have also taken steps to address their own treatment of transgender people. A task force has worked on redefining how Austin police will identify transgender and gender-nonconforming people after the police department’s handling of the 2016 killing of Monica Loera, a transgender woman who police initially identified by her male birth name.

Houston Police Chief Art Acevedo, formerly Austin’s chief, expressed a sentiment similar to Adler’s on Twitter.

In March, the City Council approved creation of a LGBTQ Quality of Life Advisory Commission, which will advise the council on issues that affect the LGBTQ community and coordinate educational programs on those issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/burgessev/status/890593880147726336
https://twitter.com/burgessev/status/890594022334631936
https://twitter.com/burgessev/status/890594480210026496
https://twitter.com/burgessev/status/890594613156859904
https://twitter.com/burgessev/status/890594682815877121

i guess that's the context: schumer's trying to buy off mccain by saying we'll get right on the defense bill and mccain is going how dare you link the healthcare of tens of millions to my defense spending

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Lol aren't these those "identarian" chucklefucks that were shooting flares at boats?

Free market wins out in the end I guess

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Lol aren't these those "identarian" chucklefucks that were shooting flares at boats?

Free market wins out in the end I guess

I think the lede there is human trafficking is not a crime in Turkish controlled Cyprus. :psyduck:

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

So nice of this book to answer its main question right on the cover

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

evilweasel posted:

i guess that's the context: schumer's trying to buy off mccain by saying we'll get right on the defense bill and mccain is going how dare you link the healthcare of tens of millions to my defense spending

Thats what Schumer gets for thinking McCains complaint about returning to normal order was sincere.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Tayter Swift posted:

So nice of this book to answer its main question right on the cover

DNC's 2020 campaign strat leaks

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

farraday posted:

Thats what Schumer gets for thinking McCains complaint about returning to normal order was sincere.

i doubt he believed it was sincere but i'm glad he's trying to sway every vote: even the tiny chance that he was sincere was worth making the effort

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

:stare: Jesus loving Christ. This is the one, this is the thing that breaks my brain

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Party Plane Jones posted:

I think the lede there is human trafficking is not a crime in Turkish controlled Cyprus. :psyduck:

It is weird, although I would (perhaps misguidedly) assume that they have some sort of rules for the classic meaning of the word, i.e. stealing people for the sake of physical or sexual slavery. They might not have rules up for this, which would more be illegal immigration.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

The Glumslinger posted:

"gently caress everything that helps poor people and women" -The Bill

This one is aimed more at women and the middle class than it is at poor people. Doesn't touch Medicaid, but potentially destroys the individual market and sends up premiums for everyone else. There's absolutely no sense in this, even from the hosed up perspective of a Republican. They're doing it entirely so that they can say they're doing something about Obamacare.

Edit- Also repealing the mandate is the kind of thing that people will notice and potentially accept as a good thing, because a lot of people won't put two and two together and reach the conclusion that a mandate repeal is affecting their premiums.

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jul 27, 2017

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

If Trump fires Mueller it's the end for him, says Graham

Whoa, I though this was some creative interpretation but Graham says that with all the words, and even worse. Pretty substantial threat here.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Thaddius the Large posted:

:stare: Jesus loving Christ. This is the one, this is the thing that breaks my brain

I don't believe this is real.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Thaddius the Large posted:

What's the context of this post. Like seriously did someone/some group actually say this and who?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Dave Brat just told CNN that it was their fault Trump attacked Sessions.

It went about as you would imagine.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/MattNegrin/status/890584702612119552

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

mcmagic posted:

And still line up to vote for republicans in 2018 and Trump in 2020.

the ones that die sure wont :mrgw:

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

STAC Goat posted:

Dave Brat just told CNN that it was their fault Trump attacked Sessions.

It went about as you would imagine.

Any details? I can imagine this having a whole bunch of results that range through a wide band of how much I laugh.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

I can't find it but I remember a goldmined thread that must be 5-10 years old where a goon wrote letters pretending to be a kid to I think Staples and other department stores and got free stuff. The letters were hilarious and I remember one particular line where the kid who was supposed to be writing the letters said something about his dad not having a job because of the "juice conspiracies" - I remember that line in particular after all of this time because of how strikingly funny it was in its context.

If we could get the Trump press corps to bite and read out a similarly faked letter it would be legendary.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

"Those minutes are an aide-memoire for us. They should not be a reductive record of what happened to be said, they should be a more full record of what was intended to be said. I think that's the more accurate version, don't you?"

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/eilperin/status/890600218613493763

on the one hand: senators getting bribed to pass skinny repeal is worrying

on the other hand: the more bribes get in there, the more the senators whose stuff got axed ask "why not mine?" and it hurtles towards a fat bill that loses their 50th vote

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Countdown to Trump hitting a hole in one on every hole and never having to poo poo.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

evilweasel posted:

on the other hand: the more bribes get in there, the more the senators whose stuff got axed ask "why not mine?" and it hurtles towards a fat bill that loses their 50th vote

Also the bill is supposed to save money. I have no idea how they're going to get it to pass reconciliation at this point other than just overruling the parlementarian.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

evilweasel posted:

I've always wondered why so many senators put up with effectively being punished for being loyal. "Since you weren't a pain in the rear end who was on the fence the whole time, you and your state lose out on a huge bribe."

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

evilweasel posted:

They already had to leave the device tax alive to fund the bribes.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

[url=https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3876906]
I don't get why the gently caress these senators give a gently caress about stupid opioid money when just not having it and keeping the ACA would be far better for their states.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Queering Wheel posted:

I don't get why the gently caress these senators give a gently caress about stupid opioid money when just not having it and keeping the ACA would be far better for their states.

If this was their primary concern, the bill would already be dead and buried.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

evilweasel posted:

Man those senators live a good life if they get 45 bill to fund their drug habits /s

But really the money for fighting the opioid crisis, however small, was one of the few good things in the bill, so glad that someone is pushing for it to stay in.

Worst case, bill passes and the crisis gets funding. Best case, bill dies and ACA lives.

Randbrick
Sep 28, 2002
45 billion in opioid money is a truly enormous stack of Jacksons, goddamn. Dudes gonna need a semi to get all that poo poo home.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Queering Wheel posted:

Because the opiod money will go to a pharmaceutical company to pay for R&D to develop a new opiod that has less of a risk of overdosing, which will ultimately do nothing to help the epidemic.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Queering Wheel posted:

That opioid money is their way of holding something up to say 'See? I care! I got this out of the bill!' while doing pretty much the opposite of help. Political cover, basically.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Chilichimp posted:

Go read about the Superfund site in Oregon where we used to produce all of our weapons grade nuclear material. It's probably more dangerous today than anything outside the concrete dome at Chernobyl and it's leaking nuclear waste into the ground-water, which is slowly creeping toward the Columbia river... they've been trying to clean that site for like 30 years and have barely made a dent.

Hanford is in Washington.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Queering Wheel posted:

Because they promised their moron base for 7 long years to repeal the ACA after convincing them it was a horrible bill and whipping them into a frenzy. It worked out pretty well for them, but the reckoning has arrived. They either repeal the ACA and try to justify throwing millions of Americans into the ranks of the uninsured, or they expose themselves as lying frauds. This coward is trying to find a rebuttal, "but wait, look at all the good things I did for the opioid crisis, and I'm sure we'll figure out an answer to the death spirals! Please don't throw me out, I'm a good senator, promise!"

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Queering Wheel posted:

The opioid crisis is a crisis of white youth, mainly, so Republicans aren't as hostile to helping them as "welfare queens."

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Queering Wheel posted:

They've spent 8 years shouting, promising to kill Obamacare. They have to do it, because "winning" is the only thing that matters, and if Obamacare is still standing at the end of the day, they "lose." It's their egos and the respect of their donors that is on the line, and no sacrifice is too big to protect those.

The only thing that matters is the very last thing McConnell slaps on the table. Everything before that will be maneuvering and theatrics. When he says "THIS is the final vote on the matter," then it's a straight question of admitting defeat or showing those loving liberals who is in charge.

If they fail at this, it's probably the biggest single thing they could do to show weakness that both their base and donors will find intolerable. They can't afford to NOT pass a bill today, no matter who or what else gets hurt.

Robot Hobo fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jul 27, 2017

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

GLORIOUS KIM JONG UN DOES NOT PLAY THE BOURGEOIS SPORT OF GOLF BUT HE COULD GET A HOLE IN ONE ON A PAR 5 WITH A PUTTER! #juche

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

It is a good thing to remember that they are so desperate to get this healthcare bill done because it would be the only thing in half a year that they actually "accomplished". Taxes are a nice byproduct.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/GarrettHaake/status/890594857596669952
https://twitter.com/GarrettHaake/status/890595479544885254

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

DreamShipWrecked posted:

It is a good thing to remember that they are so desperate to get this healthcare bill done because it would be the only thing in half a year that they actually "accomplished". Taxes are a nice byproduct.

Let's also not forget that they're perfectly willing to permafuck health care and health insurance in this country because they've spent nearly a decade saying "OBAMACARE'S GONNA ~IMPLODE~ JUST YOU WAIT AND SEE WE'RE SMART AND KNOW THINGS" and now that they've finally been able to plant the explosives, when it collapses they'll :smug: like :smuggo:, knowing that their base will blame Obama for their rising premiums, because the Democrats are utter dogshit at explaining things without something that has ten addenda and can be used as a free weight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Rigel posted:

I've always wondered why so many senators put up with effectively being punished for being loyal. "Since you weren't a pain in the rear end who was on the fence the whole time, you and your state lose out on a huge bribe."

Most of them aren't being loyal, they're fully invested cultists.

• Locked thread