Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Jimbozig posted:

Ever since 4e's PHB2 in 2009, this might be the single most played-out trope in roleplaying.

It probably isn't even in the top 10,000 played out RPG tropes and I bet if you brought it to the average gaming table you'd instantly get rolled eyes and sarcastic comments rather than "oh wow yeah that's rad." Being able to defeat opponents with words as opposed to or in addition to sharp bits of metal isn't anywhere near played out enough in the TRPG field, and I can't imagine being the sort of person that looks at that and goes "ugh, not this poo poo again."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Jimbozig posted:

Ever since 4e's PHB2 in 2009, this might be the single most played-out trope in roleplaying. I'd rather someone show up with a dual-wielding drow ranger than another "dude who lays down burns so sick the enemy literally dies." At least the ranger might do something novel with their trope.

I'm not making GBS threads on Spellbound Kingdoms, by the way, just being curmudgeonly about that character concept. I haven't read Spellbound Kingdoms yet but it sounds fun.

Half the groups around here would argue that doesn't even make sense so you can't do it, of course it doesn't work like that it just doesn't make sense okay

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
At any rate this month has taken a pretty hefty toll on my Kickstarting Games I Think Look Rad And Actually Reputable budget. Fragged Empire, The Spire, Legacy 2E, and now Spellbound Kingdoms: Arcana. Kinda hoping nobody makes any cool-sounding games next month tbh.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
I got the copy of massive darkness I rather foolishly backed. It sure comes with a lot of stuff in a giant box and the quality looks pretty reasonable on the sculpts, but not sure about the gameplay

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Jimbozig posted:

Ever since 4e's PHB2 in 2009, this might be the single most played-out trope in roleplaying. I'd rather someone show up with a dual-wielding drow ranger than another "dude who lays down burns so sick the enemy literally dies." At least the ranger might do something novel with their trope.

I'm not making GBS threads on Spellbound Kingdoms, by the way, just being curmudgeonly about that character concept. I haven't read Spellbound Kingdoms yet but it sounds fun.

If it helps, it's a perfectly valid character choice in Spellbound Kingdoms to play a barbarian who fights using hardened severed heads as boxing gloves.

"Destroying a person with words" is also a big deal in Spellbound Kingdoms because PCs and major NPCs will have Inspiration stats high enough that they can't be killed. The narrative of reality will adjust itself to prevent that and that's a known fact in-universe. It's easiest to undermine Inspirations in social combat, but of course you'll have to figure out your enemy's Inspirations through subterfuge, magic, and tapping other resources first.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Jul 27, 2017

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Imagine thinking "The words of a poet or wise man having mythical weight and do more damage to a man than crude steel given shape" is either a thing that originated in the fourth edition of dungeons and dragons or rad as all gently caress. Who doesn't want to do a Bres on your enemies and ruining them forever with the strength of your ground breaking innovations in satire.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Honestly the best version of that power is the one that showed up in Double Cross DX, just because the terrible pun name they gave it was -perfect-.

"Offensive Language".

Serf
May 5, 2011

Imagine not wanting every tabletop RPG to allow you to play as the ultimate hustler.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
^^^^^ See, that poo poo will never get played out because it's not gimmicky or even very specific. Playing a close combat fighter won't get stale because it's so broad and you can go in a million directions with it, but playing a luchador specifically absolutely could get stale if people did it often enough.

Kai Tave posted:

It probably isn't even in the top 10,000 played out RPG tropes and I bet if you brought it to the average gaming table you'd instantly get rolled eyes and sarcastic comments rather than "oh wow yeah that's rad." Being able to defeat opponents with words as opposed to or in addition to sharp bits of metal isn't anywhere near played out enough in the TRPG field, and I can't imagine being the sort of person that looks at that and goes "ugh, not this poo poo again."
Maybe I've just seen it a lot more than you have. Maybe it's not played out at all in your circles - from your comment, it sounds like your circles wouldn't even accept the character, so of course it's not overused there. I'm not sure what's the matter with your imagination that you can't imagine being in a situation where you have seen it enough times for it to be stale for you. Do things not get stale for you?

Jimbozig fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jul 27, 2017

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Really, what makes social combat shine in Spellbound Kingdoms is that it's a core gameplay element. You literally cannot kill most of the villains without ruining their lives first. In a setting like that, Killing Poems are less neat party trick and more natural extension of the game's themes.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Jimbozig posted:

I dunno, sounds like a perfect trope for a generation raised believing the way to win a fight is to post memes and call other people "cucks." Sounds like ideal fantasy fulfillment to me.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jimbozig posted:

^^^^^ See, that poo poo will never get played out because it's not gimmicky or even very specific. Playing a close combat fighter won't get stale because it's so broad and you can go in a million directions with it, but playing a luchador specifically absolutely could get stale if people did it often enough.

:drat:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Peas and Rice posted:

I dunno, sounds like a perfect trope for a generation raised believing the way to win a fight is to post memes and call other people "cucks." Sounds like ideal fantasy fulfillment to me.

A "Linguistic Killshot", if you will.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Jimbozig posted:

Maybe I've just seen it a lot more than you have. Maybe it's not played out at all in your circles - from your comment, it sounds like your circles wouldn't even accept the character, so of course it's not overused there. I'm not sure what's the matter with your imagination that you can't imagine being in a situation where you have seen it enough times for it to be stale for you. Do things not get stale for you?

You should probably check out Spellbound Kingdoms, though. There are some specific mechanisms in it that you may find inspiring.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

homullus posted:

You should probably check out Spellbound Kingdoms, though. There are some specific mechanisms in it that you may find inspiring.

Cool, I will. I've only got a couple of RPGs in my reading queue right now, so I can add that one on and get to it pretty soon.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Jimbozig posted:

So playing a fighter doesn't get old because you can use your imagination out a spin on the concept, but playing someone who fights with words is played out and stale because you CAN'T put a spin on it because...???

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The next meta-step is to defeat your enemies by successfully arguing that they should be defeatable by social combat.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

My group's trying out dread this next weekend and I'm trying to see if I can somehow fit in the concept of laying down sick burns as a character in that game. I also fear the inevitable failure of laying down said burns resulting in me having to pull from the tower.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Chill la Chill posted:

My group's trying out dread this next weekend and I'm trying to see if I can somehow fit in the concept of laying down sick burns as a character in that game. I also fear the inevitable failure of laying down said burns resulting in me having to pull from the tower.

If you make the tower collapse with your sick burn, it's retroactively a self-own.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Haystack posted:

Anyone who is the dark about this should take a look at the great Fatal and Friends review Nifara did of the core game.

The whole thing isn't finished, but it does go over the base rules and systems at least.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Kai Tave posted:

So playing a fighter doesn't get old because you can use your imagination out a spin on the concept, but playing someone who fights with words is played out and stale because you CAN'T put a spin on it because...???

It's a gimmick. "My dude lays down such sick burns that enemies literally die" is the thing that I've seen 20 or 30 times. It's like "my dude jumps so high that enemies literally die from broken necks trying to watch me" or "my dude is so good at math that she calculates their death to be right now" or "my dude is so cringe-worthy that enemies die of shame just witnessing my awkwardness" or even "my character only fights with spaghetti." Those are silly goofy gimmicks where you take a thing that cannot be used to do injury in real life and say that your character can kill with that thing.

A character who is good with words is not a gimmick. Those words being so harsh that they kill is a gimmick. A character being awkward is not a gimmick. Having lethal levels of awkwardness is a gimmick.

Gimmicks are fun once or twice. A gimmick the 20th time you see it is a gimmick that has lost its charm. Understand? If the gimmick is new to you, then go ahead and have fun with it until it gets stale for you. I'm not the fun police.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
We've officially topped the time Jimbozig was offended by pirates existing, I think.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Gonna be honest, I've been playing RPGs in different venues since before Drow PCs were even a thing and literally never seen someone roll up with a Drizzt clone either, just people reflexively cringing at the idea that it -might- happen.

Next PC, Drow who dual-wields killing words.

unseenlibrarian fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jul 27, 2017

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

unseenlibrarian posted:

Gonna be honest, I've been playing RPGs in different venues since before Drow PCs were even a thing and literally never seen someone roll up with a Drizzt clone either, just people reflexively cringing at the idea that it -might- happen.

Next PC, Drow who dual-wields killing words.

Is he talking out of both sides of his mouth?

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Obviously.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Jimbozig posted:

"my dude is so good at math that she calculates their death to be right now"

To be honest this is rad as hell.

Also you are doing that thing where 'thing I don't like' is a gimmick, but similar things I do think are ok are not gimmicks.

That's a poo poo posting gimmick and you should stop.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Echophonic posted:

Is he talking out of both sides of his mouth?

Ventriloquist.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

my dude is so good at saying magic words that he can kill people with the results of his magic words
my dude is so good at saying words that he can kill people with words

Hmm, these things are clearly radically different! One is cool and good, the other is just a gimmick.

e. oh yeah my dude is so good at thinking he can kill people with his mind thoughts! that must be even more gimmicky and less plausible than the words-killing man

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Bombadilillo posted:

To be honest this is rad as hell.

Also you are doing that thing where 'thing I don't like' is a gimmick, but similar things I do think are ok are not gimmicks.

That's a poo poo posting gimmick and you should stop.

No, I do like it. But it is a gimmick. The math gimmick is a sweet gimmick, too. I have never said that any of these are bad or stupid. They are fun and cool. Just that one is played out for me.

An analogy: spore/focus punch breloom is a fun gimmick build pokemon that I will probably never use again. If you play Pokemon and you haven't tried it, you should try it for a bit. Eventually you will probably get sick of it like I did. But it is in no way bad or lame.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Jimbozig posted:

It's a gimmick. "My dude lays down such sick burns that enemies literally die" is the thing that I've seen 20 or 30 times. It's like "my dude jumps so high that enemies literally die from broken necks trying to watch me" or "my dude is so good at math that she calculates their death to be right now" or "my dude is so cringe-worthy that enemies die of shame just witnessing my awkwardness" or even "my character only fights with spaghetti." Those are silly goofy gimmicks where you take a thing that cannot be used to do injury in real life and say that your character can kill with that thing.

A character who is good with words is not a gimmick. Those words being so harsh that they kill is a gimmick. A character being awkward is not a gimmick. Having lethal levels of awkwardness is a gimmick.

Gimmicks are fun once or twice. A gimmick the 20th time you see it is a gimmick that has lost its charm. Understand? If the gimmick is new to you, then go ahead and have fun with it until it gets stale for you. I'm not the fun police.

In the game in question, it's more akin to wearing down somebody's plot armor than doing 250 damage with your rapier wit, if that helps. It's a world where "we're not so different after all, you and I" has a chance to actually change the story.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

unseenlibrarian posted:

If you make the tower collapse with your sick burn, it's retroactively a self-own.

Sick burns can't melt steel beams :tinfoil:

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jul 27, 2017

S.J.
May 19, 2008

NTRabbit posted:

Sick burns can't melt steel beams :tinfoil:

But they can melt a steely eyed gaze.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

gradenko_2000 posted:

I think it speaks to how long the D&D fantasy genre has been stultifyingly boring that people are still excited about that.

(I'm also salty about the people who go WHOAH at anything in 5e as though it's some huge innovation when it's been a thing since way before 5e)

Fixed part of that for you

homullus posted:

Do the mechanisms help it to stand on its own, or are they just enough to qualify it for fantasy heartbreaker status?

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Spellbound Kingdoms is absolutely not a heartbreaker.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I've honestly never seen a game that had mechanics quite like it. Combat is kind of like a dance when you reach a high enough skill level in a style to get access to most of its maneuvers, since you have to actually go through a chain to set up your best stuff.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

MollyMetroid posted:

Spellbound Kingdoms is absolutely not a heartbreaker.

Not empty-quoting.

The non-crunch setting material is heartbreaker-y. The actual game mechanics are more like outsider art.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

LuiCypher posted:

Fixed part of that for you

Do the mechanisms help it to stand on its own, or are they just enough to qualify it for fantasy heartbreaker status?

There's an F&F review of the game available.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

homullus posted:

In the game in question, it's more akin to wearing down somebody's plot armor than doing 250 damage with your rapier wit, if that helps. It's a world where "we're not so different after all, you and I" has a chance to actually change the story.

!!
Yeah. Of course words should affect the story. Words can overcome enemies. Words can change the minds, their emotions, their attitudes, and their actions. If anyone interpreted my posts to mean that "face" characters or characters who primarily affect the story through words were gimmicks, then I can only apologise for being so unclear. That is not at all what I was referring to.

As for Spellbound Kingdoms, I'm excited to see what it has for social mechanics. The gold standard for social mechanics right now for me is still Burning Wheel's Duel of Wits. And even that has balance issues.* I'm always interested in new perspectives on how to handle social interactions in RPGs. An RPG that makes those things a focus is really enticing to me.

*In Duel of Wits, unless you outclass your opponent, the optimal strategy is to script nothing but "Point" over and over. Luke Crane is aware of this, but I think his response was basically "yeah, making a lot of good points is a good way to win an argument," and fair enough, but it misses an opportunity for more strategy. If you do outrank your opponent in terms of social skills, you have interesting choices to make about when to go for the win and when to try to preserve your own hp to minimize the level of compromise you owe. If the less-skilled party had interesting choices like that, it would be a perfect system instead of just a drat good one. The design problem is that for the less-skilled character, maximizing the level of compromise you get if you lose requires the same action as maximizing your chances to win: Point.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

I think my favorite weird bit for Spellbound kingdoms is it going out of its way to make equipment matter as much for social stuff as it does for regular combat. You've got a nice dress and a really good fan to flick around so you can add nuance to what you say with fan language? It's like having a sword and armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

My favorites are the sephirot combat moves and the (dead simple) Doom of a region setting DCs there.