Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It was a Superman story Clint Eastwood would be proud to adapt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Truth, Justice, and the 'MURICAN Way

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
I mean, I feel like I have reasons to be biased on the subject, but I thought it was perfectly alright. Saccharine and a bit on the nose, yes, but in a way that felt perfectly in character for Clark and Lois- like, the character voices all fit perfectly to me.

"Wanna go make out and look at the stars?" was also a high point.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Autism Sneaks posted:

Truth, Justice, and the 'MURICAN Way

I kinda kept waiting for them to start shilling either Hostess Fruit Pies with Uncle Sam, or Little Debbie Snacks. It was really on the nose and Tomasi needs to come back.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Speaking of shilling for snacks, did anyone else fall for the Snickers insert comic with Grodd? I was browsing through Justice League and had to stop and wonder what the gently caress was going on (admittedly I was very stoned)

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/TylerKirkhamArt/status/889885130239725576

:allears:

Also

https://twitter.com/1moreGaryFrank/status/889549467497705474

What a curious coincidence

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

"78 cents or I piss on your flowers."

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I don't care what Doomsday Clock is about. Gary Frank drawing Superman and the Watchmen characters is enough to sell me.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
OOoooOoooOOkaay this week's comics seem determined to make me both excited and enraged and also a lil' bit turnt,

So, in Action Comics...the stuff that Zod was looking for in the Phantom Zone turns out not to be his army, but just Ursa...and their son, Lor-Zod. Aka, Chris Kent. Who's kinda evil now? And also sporting the fugliest-drat Skrillex half-buzz that I've ever seen. So on the one hand, fuckyooou for making Chris Kent fugly and evil. On the other hand...this is actually kinda cool and I'm really interested to see where it goes? At least it's super clear that they're gonna pit him against Jon, so we're headed towards some apex child-on-child violence soon!

And in Green Lantern Corps, Soranik is just flat-out bonkers cray batshit now. Not really a spoiler, since it was happening last issue, but here it's really friggin' happening. But the thing is that...no one seems to think this is all that strange? Like, Kyle and John and the others are super sad about it happening, but none of them seem to have the impression that she's being blatantly corrupted by some mind-loving force. They're all like, "Welp, she made her choice! Now we have to live with it!" and no one's like "Girl, you've been whammied to hell and back." So like, I don't hate this story...yet...but it's gonna depend a whole lot on if they have any idea where they're going with this.

Wonder Woman was *shrug* fine *shrug again*. I mean, it really is just about fine. There was a threat and Diana dealt with it. The end? I think Fontana has a fine grasp on Diana's characterization, but I do miss the sense of gravitas and weight that came from Rucka's stories. Yeah, yeah, it's not fair to compare, I know.

Finally, read Detective Comics you cowards! :argh:

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

BrianWilly posted:

OOoooOoooOOkaay this week's comics seem determined to make me both excited and enraged and also a lil' bit turnt,

So, in Action Comics...the stuff that Zod was looking for in the Phantom Zone turns out not to be his army, but just Ursa...and their son, Lor-Zod. Aka, Chris Kent. Who's kinda evil now? And also sporting the fugliest-drat Skrillex half-buzz that I've ever seen. So on the one hand, fuckyooou for making Chris Kent fugly and evil. On the other hand...this is actually kinda cool and I'm really interested to see where it goes? At least it's super clear that they're gonna pit him against Jon, so we're headed towards some apex child-on-child violence soon!

I hope there's more than a little lip service given to Lois and Clark's adopted son

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

And in Green Lantern Corps, Soranik is just flat-out bonkers cray batshit now. Not really a spoiler, since it was happening last issue, but here it's really friggin' happening. But the thing is that...no one seems to think this is all that strange? Like, Kyle and John and the others are super sad about it happening, but none of them seem to have the impression that she's being blatantly corrupted by some mind-loving force. They're all like, "Welp, she made her choice! Now we have to live with it!" and no one's like "Girl, you've been whammied to hell and back." So like, I don't hate this story...yet...but it's gonna depend a whole lot on if they have any idea where they're going with this.

Wonder Woman was *shrug* fine *shrug again*. I mean, it really is just about fine. There was a threat and Diana dealt with it. The end? I think Fontana has a fine grasp on Diana's characterization, but I do miss the sense of gravitas and weight that came from Rucka's stories. Yeah, yeah, it's not fair to compare, I know.

Finally, read Detective Comics you cowards! :argh:

Oh good. I loving love plots about how adopted children are inherently inferior and evil compared to 'real' children.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

ImpAtom posted:

Oh good. I loving love plots about how adopted children are inherently inferior and evil compared to 'real' children.

How is he inferior? He's a pure Kryptonian while Jon is a half-breed.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I feel like if they were going to make anything of him being Chris Kent, Clark or Lois would have shouted his name.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

pubic works project posted:

How is he inferior? He's a pure Kryptonian while Jon is a half-breed.

... That is by far the worst place way you could have taken that statement. :psyduck:

Adoptive children being considered not 'real' children/unimportant/etc is a pretty frequent problem in a lot of fiction. Bringing back Lois and Clark's kid, even if it's an alternate version of them, only to have him be the evil rival to their biological kid, is pretty crappy. Also the idea that 'half-breed' means 'inferior' is uh an entirely different uncomfortable kettle of fish.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's not just a problem in fiction bro. My fiance's best friend was adopted and her parents treated her like a goddamned slave until she was able to escape to college.

And when graduated they presented her with a bill for the expenses she had run up over the years.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rhyno posted:

It's not just a problem in fiction bro. My fiance's best friend was adopted and her parents treated her like a goddamned slave until she was able to escape to college.

And when graduated they presented her with a bill for the expenses she had run up over the years.

Yes, you're right and I didn't mean to imply that. I apologize if it came across that way because it's especially a very serious problem in reality.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh I wasn't taking offense! I apologize if I came off as too pissy over it!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Oh I wasn't taking offense! I apologize if I came off as too pissy over it!

All good, you didn't seem pissy about it, I just wanted to make sure it didn't sound like I was saying something like that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Right on man. I'm willing to give Tomasi the benefit of the doubt on this, he has yet to let me down on anything since he became the steward of DC's pre-teen heroes.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

... That is by far the worst place way you could have taken that statement. :psyduck:

Adoptive children being considered not 'real' children/unimportant/etc is a pretty frequent problem in a lot of fiction. Bringing back Lois and Clark's kid, even if it's an alternate version of them, only to have him be the evil rival to their biological kid, is pretty crappy. Also the idea that 'half-breed' means 'inferior' is uh an entirely different uncomfortable kettle of fish.

I think when you're talking about a species that has superpowers you can use that terminology.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
This makes me ask.....does Bruce Wayne still have like 4 adopted kids?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Madkal posted:

This makes me ask.....does Bruce Wayne still have like 4 adopted kids?

I believe only Dick was legally adopted?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

It probably got changed in New 52, but pre-Flashpoint he adopted Tim Drake.

SMP
May 5, 2009

New 52 did Tim Drake so dirty. I'm not even a huge Tim fan, but all this "you never wanted to be a real Robin" stuff to justify Red Robin is a bummer. Dude was Robin for 20 years.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
The only robin that has existed (if there are other robins he is the best robin) is Damian the real bat son.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

Didn't he adopt Cassandra as well?

edit: Tim Drake is the best Robin.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

ImpAtom posted:

Well we are talking about fictional species here. I'm not going to get into a big debate about real issues here when we're talking comics. I haven't read the issue yet, but the story arc isn't over yet. It's possible Chris is brainwashed and will go back to normal. Plus we're dealing with reboots here.

I've never encountered this "adopted kids are worse" in literature before. But as a former teacher, I've seen it in real life. I treat all kids the same and if my wife and I can't have kids, we'll adopt. I'm also a mixed race person myself so I won't open that can of worms. I doubt the writer is referencing this adopted=bad stuff at all and you're reaching.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The way Oz was taking to Jonathan and about Lois certainly lends credence to the theory he could be Jor-el.

As for Chris, he's spent years with his mom at this point. That isn't brainwashing, that's just being raised in the warrior Kryptonian class. He was with Lois and Clark s couple months maybe?

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jul 27, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Edit: Honestly, not worth the argument that it'd cause.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Are you arguing that, especially in comic books, that fiction doesn't exist as commentary on reality? Really?

ImpAtom posted:

Are you arguing that, especially in comic books, that fiction doesn't exist as commentary on reality? Really?

Get off your high horse dude. You're reaching on this without the entire story. I'm saying that I'm not going to get into a loving goon fest argument with you (because that's all you look for half the time). Now once this is all resolved, then we can talk.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Al Borland Corp. posted:

The way Oz was taking to Jonathan and about Lois certainly lends credence to the theory he could be Jor-el.

As for Chris, he's spent years with his mom at this point. That isn't brainwashing, that's just being raised in the warrior Kryptonian class. He was with Lois and Clark s couple months maybe?

Depends on how much of pre-Flashpoint still happened for him. He was aged to an adult and spent more time on Earth like that than he did as a kid.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Depends on how much of pre-Flashpoint still happened for him. He was aged to an adult and spent more time on Earth like that than he did as a kid.

Yeah he was Nightwing from Nightwing and Flamebird, right?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Rhyno posted:

In the N52 Jason, Tim were the only explicitly mentioned to have been adopted by Bruce.

And Jason lost that status when he died :v:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Yeah he was Nightwing from Nightwing and Flamebird, right?

Yeah and honestly, I love that era. All the New Krypton stuff is loads of fun. I own pretty much all the small HCs of it and give it a read through every few months.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Yeah and honestly, I love that era. All the New Krypton stuff is loads of fun. I own pretty much all the small HCs of it and give it a read through every few months.

It SO is! I loved Johns' run from Escape from Bizarro World/Legion stuff to around this time. I didn't read all the New Krypton stuff because that's when I got out of comics until Rebirth.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Rhyno posted:

I swear I remember him being sucked back into the phantom zone still a child and only being around for a couple arcs. This was Kurt Busiek's run?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I swear I remember him being sucked back into the phantom zone still a child and only being around for a couple arcs. This was Kurt Busiek's run?

poo poo, I'm missing a volume so I may have forgotten that bit!

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I feel like Zod busted him out when Alura released him, but I'm probably wrong.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I feel like Zod busted him out when Alura released him, but I'm probably wrong.

I stopped reading shortly after he got sucked in there due to losing my job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Rhyno posted:

I hope she told them to gently caress off :ohdear: