Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

big nipples big life posted:

fire the waltrips?

Into the Sun?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/MW55/status/890279778061881344

:laffo:

Sure, dude. Let's weld the last barrier to entry to this sport completely shut and just water this thing down to the NASCARtel completely.

financially racist posted:

also just lmao @ 'fans of this thing aren't worth listening to'

like this is the mindset that brian france must already have and it's why fans are leaving

It's criminally stupid to underestimate the value of the people who make your sport go by watching, attending, and spending money on overpriced merchandise. Brian France has been making GBS threads on them since Labor Day moved to California, then to Atlanta when it probably should've just gone straight back to Darlington.

I guess this really doesn't surprise me all that much when I stop and think about it from Waltrip. I went to a charity meet and greet thing like two days after he won Talladega in 2003 and he could've given two fucks less about signing autographs and talking to people.

Peanut President posted:

Also Mikey's tweet was like "i'll listen to you when you've raced cars for 30 years and owned a race team" which is incredible coming from Mikey loving Waltrip, the Jeff Jarrett of NASCAR.

Without looking, I'd figure Jeff Jarrett spent less time as a jobber in his sport than Mikey did in Cup.

Jack-in-the-Bach
Oct 15, 2005

I still remember meeting him back when I was 14 and he was driving the number 7 Philips light bulbs car. He was really nice back then. I'm not sure what happened but my guess is that even a little bit of success was too much for him.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

NASCARtel would make a fun Narcos parody.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I'm just saying, by the start of next year, you'll have gained the 77, 12, and the probable GMS car while keeping the 21 a full-time ride, and you (Mikey) want to cut fields further?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I don't think his point would be all that bad if a) NASCAR could support trucks and Xfinity worth a drat and b) he wasn't a colossal prick about it

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
From the context of what he's saying he pretty much sounds like he wants 36 full time rides with charters and none of the riff raff trying to DNQ every weekend. So making the field more elite I guess, which is bad.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Waltrips are dumb

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/CopaCavanna/status/890592734591012868

Don't bite the hand that feeds you. What happened?

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Pretty harsh words coming from this guy.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The early days of MWR owned

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I am all for cutting the field down to one car.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The early days of MWR owned

quote:

On any other night, the Michael Waltrip Racing shop had the cleanest floors in the league, thanks to the efforts of its lone janitor, Steve. Steve was just finishing his rounds when he saw a light coming from the garage and heard a strange sound. As he neared the half-opened door, a strange scent filled the air. It was pungeant, but hard to describe.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

dentist toy box posted:

Pretty harsh words coming from this guy.

I didn't remember it being this bad. I mean, I know the Top 35 rule was in place and there were several cars on the outside of that looking in which were fully funded but :stare:.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

:yikes:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

CBJSprague24 posted:

https://twitter.com/CopaCavanna/status/890592734591012868

Don't bite the hand that feeds you. What happened?

Here's the answer:

http://jeffgluck.com/joe-gibbs-racing-suspends-truex-pit-crew-members/

So two of the 78 guys get suspended because Kyle's crew chief couldn't let the taunting go while Stevens gets off unscathed.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

It's criminally stupid to underestimate the value of the people who make your sport go by watching, attending, and spending money on overpriced merchandise. Brian France has been making GBS threads on them since Labor Day moved to California, then to Atlanta when it probably should've just gone straight back to Darlington.

I guess this really doesn't surprise me all that much when I stop and think about it from Waltrip. I went to a charity meet and greet thing like two days after he won Talladega in 2003 and he could've given two fucks less about signing autographs and talking to people.

They threw their fanbase over board in favor of chasing yiuppies, soccer moms, and suburban types. What I mean by fanbase btw? People into cars/auto racing and people in rural locales.

Fontana isn't a bad track to have on the schedule. That area has hosted/supported Cup before (It's VERY close to where Ontario and Riverside used to be), but the fact that they continued to chuck venues like Rockingham, North Wilkesboro, Darlington, Atlanta, and such off the schedule in favor of trying to run places like Chicagoland, Kentucky, Kansas, and Texas was suicidal.

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

Burn Chicagoland, Kansas, and Texas to the ground.

Vegas too.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

CBJSprague24 posted:

[
Without looking, I'd figure Jeff Jarrett spent less time as a jobber in his sport than Mikey did in Cup.

Jarrett basically spent all of 0 years as a jobber despite being a great one

he started out as the son of the promoter in the USWA, went to WWF where Vince loved his dad even if he was a rival, went to WCW as a high priced free agent, went back to WWF as a poach and became friends with Vince Russo, went back to WCW with Russo and sat in the main event because of it, and after WCW folded he's spent the last 16 years making brand new promotions where he's a top of the card guy for some reason

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
nepotism owns

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
"wrecked 10,000 racecars, never won a race".

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

quote:

So I think I did the right thing breaking it up, but I did the wrong thing. So when I did that little cliffhanger in the middle, obviously that didn’t sit super great with NASCAR. They didn’t love that. And they called me and said, “We just don’t see how this helps the sport.” I honestly think they had a pretty good point — it probably did not help much. But I made them talk about it, and at least maybe got the discussion going if nothing else happened.

But they were right. They said, “We don’t wanna fine you for conduct detrimental to stock car racing.” So they were actually pretty nice about it, but it was also kind of a heated talk, I think all the way to the top of the food chain. And that’s kinda crazy to think, “Man, I wrote a blog on my personal website and there was like this inner-circle meeting between Jim Cassidy and Brian France and all these guys like, ‘What are we gonna do about this?'”

I probably put them in a weird box because if they fined me 15 grand, I’m probably out of business! So then how does that look? So they were in a no-win situation and I stirred it up, so I probably didn’t make myself look a lot better. And they were saying, “How does this help you? This makes you look like you’re talking crap about something that you’re doing.” So after that, there was kind of a tipping point moment where I was like, “OK, I probably need to think about this a little differently.” That was probably the worst one.

http://jeffgluck.com/social-spotlight-tommy-joe-martins-2017/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sacn_bCj8tQ

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I'm weirdly fine with Texas. It's in NASCAR's wheelhouse in terms of what state it's in, and yeah it's a cookie-cutter 1.5 mile tri-oval, but between it and Charlotte, those are the two 1.5 milers I'm ok with.

Chicagoland was probably built with the thought "Ok, the Mile will never happen, but there's a base up in the Milwaukee/Chicago area. We could do Road Amer-

HAHAHA what am I kidding, Road America probably didn't even get a glance in that discussion.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

iospace posted:

I'm weirdly fine with Texas. It's in NASCAR's wheelhouse in terms of what state it's in, and yeah it's a cookie-cutter 1.5 mile tri-oval, but between it and Charlotte, those are the two 1.5 milers I'm ok with.

Chicagoland was probably built with the thought "Ok, the Mile will never happen, but there's a base up in the Milwaukee/Chicago area. We could do Road Amer-

HAHAHA what am I kidding, Road America probably didn't even get a glance in that discussion.

Chicagoland was a project with Dale Coyne, Tony George and the France Family. This was kinda done after they figured buying up CMS was not as good of a scenario (a mistake).

hindsight is 20/20, but in a perfect world? Kentucky, CHICAGO Motor Speedway, Heartland Park Topeka are all hosting ICS (or in Heartland's case, IMSA), and XFS, while Gateway has a cup date.

e: If we're going fully down the rabbit hole? I wish CART/USAC and Cup had found a way to keep running Texas World over TMS.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

http://www.racer.com/nascar/item/142669-target-to-exit-nascar-when-2017-deal-ends

As expected, rip Target in racing.

ps soccer sucks

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
who finish in the position
you never want

Kyle Busch had never been so angry. There he was, on his way to an unprecedented third straight Brickyard 400. Now he had nothing. Nothing, that is, except what was in the pocket of his uniform.

He found it when he got back to the bus and marveled at it in his hands. How perfectly a dozen Skittles fit on that length of string, each threaded through the S and held by knots three centimeters apart. Engineered perfect - like No. 18. Though now the rainbow hues of each candy were dulled somewhat. Just like No. 18.

Then came a knock on the door. It opened, and there was Martin Truex, Jr. He looked unsure of himself, like he wanted to apologize but couldn't find the words. That is, until he saw those Skittles on a string. In a flash, the memory of the previous night plunged through him. His loins pearned with desire.

"Are those what I think they are?" Truex asked.

Busch leered at him with an evil grin. "Close the door."

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I need a smiley that's this :eyepop: and this :stonk: combined.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
the warm comfort of knowing I'm not the worst poster itt

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

:eyepoop:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

:stare:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:wtc:

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

LASTCAR posted:

"Are those what I think they are?" Truex asked.

Busch leered at him with an evil grin. "Close the door."

:perfect:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

:daryl:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Oh wow, IRC fanfics are back.

ARCA at Pocono is fixin' to happen on FS1. Ralph Sheheen and Phil Parsons on the call.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

CBJSprague24 posted:

Oh wow, IRC fanfics are back.

ARCA at Pocono is fixin' to happen on FS1. Ralph Sheheen and Phil Parsons on the call.

Odds of ARCA brakes?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

iospace posted:

Chicagoland was built because the France family didn't want to give money to Chip Ganassi.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

iospace posted:

Odds of ARCA brakes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5VC1KoDpyM

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I never realized how many elevation changes were in the pit road at Pocono, but they just showed the 78's stop and, when you look up pit road, you can see rises and dips.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So, trucks may move to a spec engine next season, made by Ilmor, currently used by ARCA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Well looks like somebody's making good progress on book #2

• Locked thread