Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I really like Spira as a setting, actually. It's a very weird world but has a lot of cool stuff.

Is there anything on the planet outside of Spira? Since FFX is the first FF where you can't travel the whole world map on an airship I actually have no idea if there's anything at all on the planet except for those islands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

exquisite tea posted:

without feeling quite as railroaded as XIII-I: The First Final Fantasy XIII.

I shut it off and shelved it when I saw "Please Insert Disc 3" and it felt like I was still in a guddamn tutorial hallway. Thankfully, XIII-2 was a bit more open-ended, and featured the ability to fight alongside a flan bro wearing wicked cool shades. How could you not enjoy that?

Harrow posted:

Also of note in this video: everyone's unarmed animations own and I really, really wish Brawler didn't suck.

It's worth going back to the Estersand with an unarmed Balthier in your party after you gain some levels just to see him kick a T-Rex in the loving face :black101:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
WTF kind of garbage-rear end RPG doesn't have a world map?

The more I learn about FFX the more I never want to play it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I shut it off and shelved it when I saw "Please Insert Disc 3" and it felt like I was still in a guddamn tutorial hallway. Thankfully, XIII-2 was a bit more open-ended, and featured the ability to fight alongside a flan bro wearing wicked cool shades. How could you not enjoy that?

It's worth going back to the Estersand with an unarmed Balthier in your party after you gain some levels just to see him kick a T-Rex in the loving face :black101:

Because the combat in13-2 is mindless and has no difficulty or interesting fights of any kind

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I mean, eventually you get an airship and can pick locations to fast travel to by looking at a map of Spira. Until then it isn't really necessary because it's pretty linear.

I like a world map and all, but there are plenty of JRPGs that don't have a big world map that are also awesome. For example: Persona (unless you count the "pick which city area to go to" map as a "world map")

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Elephant Ambush posted:

Most western RPGs? Most recent JRPGs and a lot of older ones? It's not that big of a deal, it's just a different way of doing things.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Elephant Ambush posted:

garbage series Trails of Cold Steel

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Elephant Ambush posted:

There are more JRPGs without world maps than with at this point.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Elephant Ambush posted:

Every one made after 1999

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Harrow posted:

I really like Spira as a setting, actually. It's a very weird world but has a lot of cool stuff.

Is there anything on the planet outside of Spira? Since FFX is the first FF where you can't travel the whole world map on an airship I actually have no idea if there's anything at all on the planet except for those islands.

During X-2: Last Mission, they mention they haven't explored the whole planet yet(despite them having airships :psyduck:)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

During X-2: Last Mission, they mention they haven't explored the whole planet yet(despite them having airships :psyduck:)

Maybe they just don't have enough fuel to get that far or something, I dunno, that's how I'll handwave it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Let me introduce you to I Am setsuna, your new favorite game with World Map

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tae posted:

Let me introduce you to I Am setsuna, your new favorite game with World Map

This, but Bravely Default and unironically

(I hope Lost Sphear is good. It looks like you control how characters move around in combat, unlike Chrono Trigger or I Am Setsuna, and I hope they make positioning matter as a result.)

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Sakurazuka posted:

Every one made after 1999

Uhhh FF12 is a counter-example?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

FF X has as much of a world map as XII ie a list of destinations you select from

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The main differences between FFX and FFXII world design:

- The paths you travel are much wider in FFXII.
- You can, and will, backtrack through already-explored areas all throughout FFXII, whereas you'll basically never do that in FFX until you get the airship.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The last RPG I can think of that I played with a traditional world map was...Tales of Vesperia I think, and that came out nearly a decade ago at this point.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The only games that do nowadays are deliberate retro throwbacks, the Bravely's and Setsuna for example.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

For me it was Bravely Second, I think, though that game had a bunch of other reasons I couldn't really get into it the way I did Bravely Default. And yeah, it's almost always used as a deliberate throwback now.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
FFXII's map design pulled off Dark Souls before Dark Souls. If you look at how all the areas connect it's pretty drat awesome

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Harrow posted:

Reminder: Dream Zanarkand existed somewhere in Spira and was never found.

The FFX world map situation is odd because by the time you get the airship to return to places, the game is basically over with.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

blackguy32 posted:

Reminder: Dream Zanarkand existed somewhere in Spira and was never found.

Wait, did it? I assumed it was like a pocket parallel universe or something.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Harrow posted:

Nope. It's basically another aeon. I think they say it's somewhere near Baaj temple.

But that encapsulates the weirdness of FFX for me. A universe full of weird rules and zombies basically.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

blackguy32 posted:

Nope. It's basically another aeon. I think they say it's somewhere near Baaj temple.

Huh. I basically figured it was essentially an aeon, but somehow I missed that it actually existed in physical Spira. I guess that'd explain how Auron got there.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Harrow posted:

Its off the coastline somewhere. Its how sin travels to it to pick up Tidus and then drops him off on the shore. Aeons exist physically in the world and dont have to be near their Fayth. Hell they dont even need a living summoner since even an unsent will do.

I dont think its thag insane that in a world where a giant maleveolent sea god exists that maybe people dont explore that far from the coast line.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I actually thought the game would do more with all the zombie subplots or with many subplots. A lot of stuff feels dropped in just as a twist.

blackguy32 fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jul 27, 2017

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
FFX is pretty fun to get all the characters full on the sphere grid if you like grinding. The grind itself is pretty easy once you farm One-Eye for triple AP weapons and do the Don Tonberry trick with Overdrive->AP. At that point it becomes a sphere farming thing, but the international version added extract power/mana/speed/ability, making it a hell of a lot easier.

I like watching Yuna whack a dude with her cane for 5 figures of damage.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

seiferguy posted:

FFX is pretty fun to get all the characters full on the sphere grid if you like grinding. The grind itself is pretty easy once you farm One-Eye for triple AP weapons and do the Don Tonberry trick with Overdrive->AP. At that point it becomes a sphere farming thing, but the international version added extract power/mana/speed/ability, making it a hell of a lot easier.

I may go back and play with a trainer on pc. I love breaking rpgs and I wish more had a classic new game plus mode.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

seiferguy posted:

I just wish there was more to the actual combat at that point. "Everyone spams Quick Hit and uses overdrives" just gets so old, no matter how much HP Penance has.

(Yes, I realize the same thing can be said of Yiazmat. I never said I liked Yiazmat either :v:)

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Harrow posted:

I just wish there was more to the actual combat at that point. "Everyone spams Quick Hit and uses overdrives" just gets so old, no matter how much HP Penance has.

(Yes, I realize the same thing can be said of Yiazmat. I never said I liked Yiazmat either :v:)

I do at some point want to take on dark aeons without Yojimbo. Now that Wakka hits for 99k reliably and I've been able to mostly figure out attack reels I think I can do it.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Sakurazuka posted:

The only games that do nowadays are deliberate retro throwbacks, the Bravely's and Setsuna for example.

I know you all hated FF15 or whatever but it had a world map and it's not a retro throwback.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Harrow posted:

I really wish the endgame superbosses involved more interesting gameplay in FFX. I really, really like FFX's combat system, but what it turns into when you reach the power levels required for the tougher Dark Aeons or Penance is "everybody has max everything and spams Quick Hit and overdrives."

Up until then, though, I find FFX to be a lot of fun to play and I like it a lot.

The only person who doesn't is Penelo, IMO. Her animations with katanas are kinda awkward.

Fran's are, as you might expect, pretty loving rad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pJn96BXo8Y

Also of note in this video: everyone's unarmed animations own and I really, really wish Brawler didn't suck. Also holy poo poo look at Ashe's dagger animations. I'd never have dreamed of making her a Shikari before, but now I want to.

Fran's animations are the worst, she always looks like she's about to lose her balance which makes sense because of her goofy-rear end high heels.
Penelo's are the best though, all acrobatic and spinny and poo poo

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Calaveron posted:

Fran's animations are the worst, she always looks like she's about to lose her balance which makes sense because of her goofy-rear end high heels.
Penelo's are the best though, all acrobatic and spinny and poo poo

I love Penelo's pole animations. Just loving flips constantly, it owns.

Elephant Ambush posted:

I know you all hated FF15 or whatever but it had a world map and it's not a retro throwback.

I think we might be using different definitions of "world map." For example, if your standards for "world map" include FFXII, then FFX has one, too, in that there are areas you run around in that aren't dungeons or towns.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Elephant Ambush posted:

:psyduck:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Elephant Ambush posted:

I think you're strongly misunderstanding what people mean by world map.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

15 was a retro throwback to the heady days of 2006.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

A world map is when the main character grows to the size of a town and can fly around the entire planet in 30 seconds on their airship

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

blackguy32 posted:

I may go back and play with a trainer on pc. I love breaking rpgs and I wish more had a classic new game plus mode.

There was some glitch in the original FFX release where you could essentially get NG+ by going back to Al-Bhed town and getting through a door you weren't supposed to open, which let you replay the entire story from that point. It's probably been fixed by now but it was still kind of neat.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Sunning posted:

The FFXV DLC comes off as a testbed for ideas they'll use in future games, such as timed events, an avatar system, and co-op gameplay. All these additions seem strange for a single-player focused game like FFXV but they make sense if the next FF game or Tabata's project needs immediate feedback on ideas.

SE said that they're transitioning into games as a service with their future titles. I wouldn't be surprised if FFXVI is a MMO-lite in the style of Destiny or the Division.

Yeah I think faux-MMOs (we need a good name for these) is the way to go and more of the industry is going to start playing with that concept. Sadly both Destiny and Division wholly failed to deliver on the concept so that'll set the industry back a few years.

But basically Guild Wars 1/2. No monthly fees, just big towns where you meet people and then you head off in groups and stuff like that. You get all the benefits of an MMO but none of the cost. Zones don't have to be massively bloated in scale with copy/paste to give enough room for everybody, players don't grief each other, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Look at this guy posting in the FF thread who hasn't played half the FF games :v:

It has a world map though, what he means is there's no overworld you run around on.

GUYS HARROW MEANS OVERWORLD WHEN HE SAYS WORLD MAP.

Help Im Alive posted:

A world map is when the main character grows to the size of a town and can fly around the entire planet in 30 seconds on their airship

Its commonly called both 'world map' and 'overworld', but 'world map' is ambiguous and can be used in other contexts while overworld isn't really. So rather than argue semantics lets all just get on the same page.