Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Tra(n)g'Oul

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

deathbagel posted:

So I finally got around to the challenge rift for the week. I have 2 level 70 monks (my first character and the only other season I've played in I made another one) and it still took me 4 tries to get through it. Whoever built that character doesn't understand how anything in this game works. It was actually painful to do.

Do it as a group next time. I did it with 2 other pubbies randomly and got it first try with about a minute to spare by just smashing buttons as soon as they were off cooldown. :v:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Star Man posted:

Tra(n)g'Oul

Trang trang TRAAAAAANG
Trang of 'Ouls

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

The build was bad but it was easy to see what the guy was going for. The skills choices actually had some synergy. So he had *some* idea of what he was doing, but it was still bad.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

exquisite tea posted:

Trang trang TRAAAAAANG
Trang of 'Ouls

In fairness I'm like 90% certain it's spelled one way in the Diablo 2 manual where it originally appeared and the other way in-game. :v:

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I realized the other day that it's "Trag'Oul" in D3 instead of "Trang-Oul" as it was in D2 and I feel like Blizzard is gaslighting me

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

In fairness I'm like 90% certain it's spelled one way in the Diablo 2 manual where it originally appeared and the other way in-game. :v:

They removed the n from Trag'Oul's name in the Sin War books.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Star Man posted:

They removed the n from Trag'Oul's name in the Sin War books.

Blizzard's ability to somehow write fan-fiction of their own IP, that they created and own, will never cease to be amazing.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

We're still all playing Chris Metzen's D&D campaigns from 30 years ago so who's the real idiot here.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

We're still all playing Chris Metzen's D&D campaigns from 30 years ago so who's the real idiot here.

You might be here for Chris Metzen's D&D campaign, I'm here to honor the spooky ghost of Blizzard North.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It's a touchy issue because the stories and worldbuilding of Diablo 1 & 2 were unequivocally so much better, yet had they continued on their trajectory we never would have gotten the (Female) Wizard, which is everything Diablo needed but never knew it did.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Diablo never had a story or a world

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I am not sure I get D3. I started a season wizard and breezed through about everything, but I can't seem to do enough damage to really reliably get past T4. I am 70/112 right now, but I see lower level people who don't seem to struggle much. I just throw up some hydras and burn everything down with disintegrate and the occasional blizzard. What am I missing? Gotta be something like conceptual.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

AlternateAccount posted:

I am not sure I get D3. I started a season wizard and breezed through about everything, but I can't seem to do enough damage to really reliably get past T4. I am 70/112 right now, but I see lower level people who don't seem to struggle much. I just throw up some hydras and burn everything down with disintegrate and the occasional blizzard. What am I missing? Gotta be something like conceptual.

Did you get your free 6 piece legendary set? That alone should comofrtsvly put you in t6, where you'll grind for more gear until you jump to 10 and 13 respectively.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

AlternateAccount posted:

You need sets to advance past mid-Torment. The power advantage you get from them is enormous.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Bottom Liner posted:

Did you get your free 6 piece legendary set? That alone should comofrtsvly put you in t6, where you'll grind for more gear until you jump to 10 and 13 respectively.

I can't complete the tasks like KILL MAGDA ON T4 to get the last two bits. Oh no, this is a GIT GUD situation isn't it?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Just ask for help in LLJK and someone will help you through the rest of the journey quests, then you should be able to handle the GR20 yourself by then for the last step.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

AlternateAccount posted:

I can't complete the tasks like KILL MAGDA ON T4 to get the last two bits. Oh no, this is a GIT GUD situation isn't it?

Post a link to your character.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Star Man posted:

Post a link to your character.

Does this work? https://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/PreciousRoy-1665/hero/92187919

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

- You need sockets in your jewelry, and legendary gems put in those sockets.
- You're missing either Crit Chance or Crit Damage from gloves and rings.
- Any legendary source that you gambled with shards would be better than a Cosmic Strand.
- You found an ancient Aether Walker and rerolled the secondary, instead of rolling for a socket. :negative:

nerox
May 20, 2001

I don't know anything about wizards, but you are re-rolling secondary stats on several items, which is almost always a bad idea.

Your weapon for instance should have re-rolled the vitality to a socket, and if you had gifted it, rerolled vit to +10% damage. A socket with a big green gem in it is a huge damage boost. Instead you re-rolled something to +life after kill.

You also don't seem to have anything cubed, which is another big damage boost to get the right things cubed there.

I am sure someone that plays wizard can help you more specifically with skills/cube items.

If you can't beat GR20 and T4 Magda with these items, it most likely is a git gud situation

edit: I put that wand into the reroll calculator and if Vit went to +10% damage, it would be a 3184.8 dps weapon.

nerox fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jul 27, 2017

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

- You found an ancient Aether Walker and rerolled the secondary, instead of rolling for a socket. :negative:
Nah, roll for more dmg/IAS/stats and use a gift. They're so common now that you never need to waste a reroll on a socket.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Can wait and stick a ramaladni's on it for socket. They seem to drop a ton more often than they used to.

I would swap that manald's off your follower on to you for that wyrdward or cube the rorg and wear manald and wyrdward and equip the paralysis passive and some lighting skills. Anytime that ring procs you are going to destroy whatever hits it. Maybe channel the lighting version of arcane torrent instead of disintegrate.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
I remember Blizzard changing the name of some Diablo 2 things, mostly runes, because they were vulgar in some languages. Maybe Trang means something naughty. :ohdear:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

Nah, roll for more dmg/IAS/stats and use a gift. They're so common now that you never need to waste a reroll on a socket.

He can't do any of that now, because he rerolled a secondary.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah, I was just correcting the future advice of rolling for a socket.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
You roll a socket when you don't have a gift, then you roll it off for something else when you do find one. There's nothing to correct.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
What's a "gift" in terms of item rerolls?

nerox
May 20, 2001

keratinous scutes posted:

http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Ramaladni%27s_Gift

It's an item that adds a socket to weapons.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

ramaladni's gift, it's a legendary consumable that lets you add a socket to an item.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

keratinous scutes posted:

Ramaladni's Gift is a legendary consumable that adds a socket to a weapon without requiring a reroll of some other primary stat. When you find one you stick it on your (hopefully ancient) weapon and reroll whatever you previously had as a socket to something else, probably Damage %.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

exquisite tea posted:

- You need sockets in your jewelry, and legendary gems put in those sockets.
- You're missing either Crit Chance or Crit Damage from gloves and rings.
- Any legendary source that you gambled with shards would be better than a Cosmic Strand.

OK let me see if I can distill the responses into some decent guidance.

1> Add sockets to jewelry using Gifts and put big fat gems in them.
2> How do I get extra critical from gloves and rings?
3> Don't reroll secondaries, roll for sockets instead.

Is that about it? More sockets more gems more critical?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

You need legendary gems for the jewelry sockets, which you get from Greater Rifts. You level them up by doing more GRs and they get stronger and unlock an additional benefit at level 25. Get 3 to 25 ASAP along with your 6 piece and you'll see big jumps in power.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

You need legendary gems for the jewelry sockets, which you get from Greater Rifts. You level them up by doing more GRs and they get stronger and unlock an additional benefit at level 25. Get 3 to 25 ASAP along with your 6 piece and you'll see big jumps in power.

Keep in mind to get gems to level 25 you need to be able to run GR 25s minimum and to get it easily probably more like 30-35, which may make this advice slightly premature if he's struggling to complete Torment IV bosses.

e: or wait, does that only kick in after a certain threshold?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Keep in mind to get gems to level 25 you need to be able to run GR 25s minimum and to get it easily probably more like 30-35, which may make this advice slightly premature if he's struggling to complete Torment IV bosses.

e: or wait, does that only kick in after a certain threshold?

You're correct, but you can also do them in groups so it's much easier than solo.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

You're correct, but you can also do them in groups so it's much easier than solo.

Ooh, good point. I play so much solo I forget that's an option sometimes, heh.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Despite finding a dozen of them during the offseason I'm GR70 in the season and found all of one Gift. I'd like to switch from Garg WD to something else but my gear is incredibly impoverished.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

AlternateAccount posted:

The Gift can only be used on weapons. You will have to use the enchanter to reroll a primary stat into a socket for your other items.

It is a rule that all of your items except for your off-hand (unless it's a weapon) should have their maximum number of sockets. This is non-negotiable.

Star Man fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jul 27, 2017

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

AlternateAccount posted:

- Yes but not topaz/ruby, etc. The legendary gems you get from completing greater rifts (GR). Each time you complete a GR, a different legendary gem will drop, until you've collected them all. You also get to level up those gems as you complete GRs, and you should pick the ones most useful for your class and focus on those. (To figure out what those, are open the leaderboards with shift+L and see what gems the guys at the top are using.)

- Take the item to the mystic and reroll one of the stats. Common primary traits that people roll off in order to get more critical hit chance (CHC) or critical hit damage (CHD): Life on Hit, Life Regeneration, Armor, Reduced Resource Costs. Click the little question mark icon next to each modifier to see what it can turn into in order to be sure you've picked one that can even roll crits.

- Never reroll secondaries. Roll sockets onto your weapon and jewelry. Roll crits anywhere you can.

e: One last thought. If you find an ancient item (yellow border, says "Ancient,") ask in chat before rerolling anything on it.

The Wonder Weapon fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jul 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

AlternateAccount posted:

2. Reroll mods or find ones that already have those stats.
3. This only applies to weapons and jewelry (sockets). You almost never want to reroll secondaries except on a few specific items for set bonuses or other random affixes. You don't need to worry about this at this point.