Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

That's definitely more Guild Wars 1 than 2. GW2 is fully MMO, with wide-open areas where you and random players do big open-world events.

GW1 traces its lineage back to Phantasy Star Online, really, because they're the same sort of structure. And, of course, Destiny and The Division, though those are significantly less compelling than GW1 or PSO.

That said, I really hope the era of the single-player Final Fantasy doesn't end. I like pseudo-MMOs just fine, but I also wish the series would have a "normal" JRPG again. I know that'll never happen, not with Final Fantasy. No matter how big of a success Persona 5 was, for example, it didn't sell "make a profit on a Final Fantasy budget" numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Harrow posted:

That's definitely more Guild Wars 1 than 2. GW2 is fully MMO, with wide-open areas where you and random players do big open-world events.

GW1 traces its lineage back to Phantasy Star Online, really, because they're the same sort of structure. And, of course, Destiny and The Division, though those are significantly less compelling than GW1 or PSO.

That said, I really hope the era of the single-player Final Fantasy doesn't end. I like pseudo-MMOs just fine, but I also wish the series would have a "normal" JRPG again. I know that'll never happen, not with Final Fantasy. No matter how big of a success Persona 5 was, for example, it didn't sell "make a profit on a Final Fantasy budget" numbers.

I know, but GW2 still manages to avoid a monthly fee so that's all the better. I'm just saying I don't think people really need the full MMO experience.

But then again if you wanted big events or FATEs, you'd have to go full GW2. And I do really like that feel of meeting up with random people to do some big public event and then scattering back to doing your own thing. That's what Destiny hosed up and never got right. (Heck even WoW needs to work on that stuff and its a full on monthly-fee mmo)

But I think people would also be plenty happy with the GW1 model.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

What the gently caress.

It has a map that shows you where places in the world are in relation to other places.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

What the gently caress.

It has a map that shows you where places in the world are in relation to other places.

Yeah, that's not what we thought you meant by "world map." We're talking about the FF1-9 thing where you leave a town and suddenly you're huge and you can get in an airship and fly around the world and stuff like that.

If that's what you mean by a "world map," like "sometimes you can see a map and it shows you where everything is," FFX has one of those and it's used exactly the same as the one in FFXII: sometimes it shows up to show you your characters' path as you travel, and then when you get an airship you use it to decide where to go.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Harrow posted:

Yeah, that's not what we thought you meant by "world map." We're talking about the FF1-9 thing where you leave a town and suddenly you're huge and you can get in an airship and fly around the world and stuff like that.

If that's what you mean by a "world map," like "sometimes you can see a map and it shows you where everything is," FFX has one of those and it's used exactly the same as the one in FFXII: sometimes it shows up to show you your characters' path as you travel, and then when you get an airship you use it to decide where to go.

Fair enough. I call that an overworld but I see what you mean.

Sorry for confusing everyone.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Harrow posted:

What is normal, just retro throwback to 1999

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Tae posted:

ffxv has quest hubs and a big open world and (soon) co-op/multiplayer
compare that even to ff13 which is a tight gameplay experience without "collect 10 bear asses"

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah I think faux-MMOs (we need a good name for these) is the way to go and more of the industry is going to start playing with that concept. Sadly both Destiny and Division wholly failed to deliver on the concept so that'll set the industry back a few years.

These made like, unbelievable amounts of money. Theyre the template for this poo poo.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Fair enough. I call that an overworld but I see what you mean.

Sorry for confusing everyone.

I tried to explain this last page dude :v:

Zaphod42 posted:

GUYS HARROW MEANS OVERWORLD WHEN HE SAYS WORLD MAP.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tae posted:

I dunno, bad choice of words I guess. I want to see another Final Fantasy with the classic ATB system, for example, or something with FFX's turn-based system even. Something that takes the smooth, fast-paced ATB from X-2 and does even better with it. Obviously XII and XIII have modified ATB systems, but they depart enough that they don't really scratch that itch.

But I also don't think there's a big enough market for it. Persona 5's purely turn-based combat--done in a really smooth, snappy, fast-paced way--is a ton of fun and clearly sold well, but it didn't sell Final Fantasy numbers. That's fine, because it also didn't have a Final Fantasy budget. But SquareEnix isn't about to step down the production values for a Final Fantasy game, and that means we're probably not going to see a turn-based console Final Fantasy ever again.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

World of FF came out last year

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Barudak posted:

These made like, unbelievable amounts of money. Theyre the template for this poo poo.

We'll see how Destiny 2 does though, lots of people got burned. And Division, hooooo boy people are pretty angry about that game. And I think even hardcore fans were disappointed by the updates?

I mean yeah they did make money but you have a concept of brand value, and I think both cost their respective brands. In the same way that FFXIV 1.0 was considered damaging to the brand and made ARR necessary.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

World of FF came out last year

Again I use a poor choice of words. I mean a "main-line" one.

Also I couldn't get into that. I dunno. The whole stacking thing was just one step too cartoonish for me to really engage with. I recognize this is completely my fault.

I also recognize I'm turning into a corncob here but I'm gonna die on this hill. I want a mainline FF game with FFX-2's combat and I don't care how dumb I am.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

World of FF would have been better if you weren't forced to use Reynn and Lann in the stacks for almost the whole game.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
FFX just is weird though. It's super linear and hallways basically until the calm lands. Then it opens up at the endgame. It would be like not getting the highwind from ff7 until right before you go to Northern crater.

FFX is designed to where you aren't supposed to backtrack at all until the endgame.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Andrast posted:

World of FF would have been better if you weren't forced to use Reynn and Lann in the stacks for almost the whole game.

:yeah:

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

blackguy32 posted:

FFX just is weird though. It's super linear and hallways basically until the calm lands. Then it opens up at the endgame. It would be like not getting the highwind from ff7 until right before you go to Northern crater.

FFX is designed to where you aren't supposed to backtrack at all until the endgame.

It is that, but FFX's areas are designed to be filled with towns and npcs and cloister puzzles and side things going on to distract you from it being just hallways. And even the straightforward linear designs aren't usually just narrow hallways, that'd be what FF13 does. FFX is linear but pulls out tricks to still feel like you're exploring places and doing different things. So it never feels as linear as it really is (again, compared to 13 where it really is as linear as it feels).

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Harrow posted:

Also I couldn't get into that. I dunno. The whole stacking thing was just one step too cartoonish for me to really engage with. I recognize this is completely my fault.

I also recognize I'm turning into a corncob here but I'm gonna die on this hill. I want a mainline FF game with FFX-2's combat and I don't care how dumb I am.

x-2's combat was some of the best in the series, why would that be dumb???

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

x-2's combat was some of the best in the series, why would that be dumb???

Just because the chances of Square-Enix doing anything other than fully real-time action combat in a big-budget console FF game again in the future seems real, real slim.

But it'd own if they did.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Harrow posted:

Just because the chances of Square-Enix doing anything other than fully real-time action combat in a big-budget console FF game again in the future seems real, real slim.

Get a job system into the real-time action combat

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
X-2 being some of the best is a real big slight against the franchise

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Combat-wise, it legitimately is. I'm not a big fan of its story or soundtrack, but the combat is the best version of the classic ATB system they ever made.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Andrast posted:

:agreed:

Also, only allowing 8 (or 9? I can't remember) monsters to get experience at a time was really frustrating.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Harrow posted:

You're not the only one. Awhile back I discussed the FF7 remake being XV style and a ton of goons told me that I was wrong and classic RPG combat was still popular and Square was dumb for not doing the FF7 remake the same as FF7. So you're not alone.

Harrow posted:

But I do feel this way, I think mainline FFs are gonna be like co-op XV from now on, which would be rad as long as the story isn't a hot mess like XV.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

i wasn't one of those "you should put more women in video games" people until i played ffxv lol

noctis doesn't count

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The FFXV boy band is good

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Andrast posted:

The FFXV boy band is good

Except Gladio, he's kind of a dick.

Also, someone earlier mentioned that a job system would fix every FF game. I really wonder how a job system could be implemented into XV.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Let's pray XV-2 is an Aranea/Lunafreya/Iris/Gentiana roadtrip

e: I guess Cindy would make more sense than Gentiana because I can't remember what she does except appear in photos sometimes

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

seiferguy posted:

Except Gladio, he's kind of a dick.

Also, someone earlier mentioned that a job system would fix every FF game. I really wonder how a job system could be implemented into XV.

The boat isn't fixed by some random macguffin and the boys have to get actual jobs in the world to pay for a trip. Noctis is employed in a random shack next to a lake and keeps scaring off the one or two people that ever go near by going on and on about lures.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

This is going back a few pages now but on the topic of old school video game music being limited or whatever, like saying the opera scene in FFVI just can't stand up to the real thing, I disagree. To me, it is precisely how far they were pushing the boundaries of what they had at the time that makes it special. Dancing Mad is similar. Ironically, I feel the in-game version of DM beats the in-game version of OWA. The former sounds a lot less butchered whereas OWA undeniably improves with orchestra and also guitar.

But it was FFVI's boundary-pushing that made me really appreciate it, in spite of its age. Some of the things in it are obviously a bit dated and have been done better in the years since but at the time, I can easily see this as a revolutionary marvel instorytelling. It's quite different from Chrono Trigger which is usually held up as FFVI's peer but has none of VI's ambition or interesting elements.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jul 27, 2017

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Help Im Alive posted:

e: I guess Cindy would make more sense than Gentiana because I can't remember what she does except appear in photos sometimes

Aranea/Luna/Iris/Jared

:getin:

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Lost Sphear looks like it's in the I Am Setsuna engine except it has even less visual flair and looks even more RPG Makerish somehow, so I'm not expecting great things. What they showed of the combat looked very janky.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think I'm gonna replay the FFX remaster again, what are the big things to remember to break the game (early steals, rare drops, that kind of thing)?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Is there anything like that? Usually when people talk about breaking the game with early rare drops/steals, it's in VIII and XII. I haven't really heard about anything like that in X.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Mix completely breaks FFX to the point where it becomes beatable without ever using the sphere grid, and in fact there are challenge runs based around this very premise.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

haha oh man
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKBz1KsQY1Y
i sure hope this wasn't posted yet

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Mix completely breaks FFX to the point where it becomes beatable without ever using the sphere grid, and in fact there are challenge runs based around this very premise.

Yeah, but you have to get Rikku first for that. I figured we were just talking about, like, items you can get a bunch of early on that break the game wide open, like what you can do with card refining in FFVIII.

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

haha oh man
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKBz1KsQY1Y
i sure hope this wasn't posted yet

It was, but it bears reposting, because it is true. FFIX is the best one.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

exquisite tea posted:

Yeah that's about the only thing that breaks the game before the very end. Which tbh you don't even really need to break the game, the only battle that ever caught me off guard was Seymour on Mt. Gagazet.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
yuna using summons breaks the game, they uh really didn't balance her at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Help Im Alive posted:

Gentiana was Shiva.

Also, watch SE be like "we got it! We know how to appeal to female players" and have a game based around Cindy, Luna, Iris and Aranea hanging around wearing uggs, drinking lattes, doing yoga and having Rosé parties.