Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Drowning Rabbit posted:

You can literally buy a mini nes case on Amazon for a Pi. You will need a memory card for it as well, but that is kind of a given. Along with whatever controller setup you want :x

https://www.amazon.com/YIKESHU-NESPI-RASPBERRY-BRASPBERRY-TOOLSY/dp/B073ZC4TZY

Once I saw the storage idea on the bottom I was sold.

This SNES one is cute too.

https://www.amazon.com/Classic-3D-Printed-Nintendo-Raspberry/dp/B073SBCCKD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Ofecks posted:

Wow, I had no idea N64 PCBs were so tiny. What a waste of space in the carts. I mean, NES had the same issue too, but still.

I think I'm more interested in the SuperCD games you have in the background, what are they?

Two of them are only in Japanese, but the other is Far East of Eden. They're very much JRPGs, well the CD games are, and relatively impossible to navigate.

None are worth anything and I'm just keeping them to represent PCE games on the shelf. If anyone around here really wants them I really don't need them.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Sir Tonk posted:

Two of them are only in Japanese, but the other is Far East of Eden. They're very much JRPGs, well the CD games are, and relatively impossible to navigate.

None are worth anything and I'm just keeping them to represent PCE games on the shelf. If anyone around here really wants them I really don't need them.

Check your inbox. The left one is Momotaro Densetsu and the right Tenshi no Uta, all bog standard JRPGs.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

drat, these are sick nasty. I may need to buy one just because... nice. I don't really need it but, that's really slick for $20.

SNES one looks 3d-printed though.. meh. Is the NES one 3d printed also? can't tell. It looks nicer though.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Sir Tonk posted:

Tengai Makyo II: Manjimaru (the one in the middle) is pretty much the game that put the Tengai Makyo series on the map. It has a good reputation for an old and Grundy RPG, and none other than Victor Ireland of Working Designs called it his favorite game (outside of the ones he localized, of course).

Tenshi no Uta (on the right) is a routine RPG notable only as an early game from Kenichi Nishi, who went on to start Love-de-Lic and make Moon: Remix RPG Adventure (which gets my vote for the most interesting game not yet fan-translated), Incredible Crisis, and LOL: Lack of Love

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Zaphod42 posted:

drat, these are sick nasty. I may need to buy one just because... nice. I don't really need it but, that's really slick for $20.

SNES one looks 3d-printed though.. meh. Is the NES one 3d printed also? can't tell. It looks nicer though.

The SNES one is literally just 3D printed, but the NES one is an actual product and it's got a USB hub so it can look nicer than the SNES one that just has the back panel stick out.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Incredible Crisis is so good. I really want to see a PSOne Classics version of that.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Elliotw2 posted:

The SNES one is literally just 3D printed, but the NES one is an actual product and it's got a USB hub so it can look nicer than the SNES one that just has the back panel stick out.

Yeah there's no comparing the build quality on those two. The 3d printed one looks like its out of stock anyways.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Takoluka posted:

Incredible Crisis is so good. I really want to see a PSOne Classics version of that.

What a strange game. The ska soundtrack ties the whole thing together.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

That NES Pi case would be a winner if the ethernet port weren't within the flip-top. I prefer my Pis to run with ethernet plugged in because I'm a filthy heathen that doesn't trust wifi or its speed difference.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

That NES Pi case would be a winner if the ethernet port weren't within the flip-top. I prefer my Pis to run with ethernet plugged in because I'm a filthy heathen that doesn't trust wifi or its speed difference.

What do you need internet for your NES anyways?

I mean I prefer ethernet but I don't use the internet on my Pi at all really. I guess if you're using it as a PC replacement or something but I have a PC for that.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Zaphod42 posted:

I mean I prefer ethernet but I don't use the internet on my Pi at all really. I guess if you're using it as a PC replacement or something but I have a PC for that.

You don't necessarily need internet, but lan to ssh in to transfer roms, tweak configs, etc.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Just wifi that poo poo, you're not going to notice a difference copying over a 256 kilobyte ROM file.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

univbee posted:

Just wifi that poo poo, you're not going to notice a difference copying over a 256 kilobyte ROM file.

But what about my ping...

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If your wifi can't handle ssh or transferring an nes rom, you have bigger problems than where the the USB port is on that box.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

What game is this?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

The second word there appears to be "Cross", so narrowing it down to arcade games released before 2000/01/01, it's one of these:

Battle Cross (1982)
Karian Cross (1996)
Stadium Cross (1992)
Super Cross II (1986)
Thunder Cross (1988)
Thunder Cross II (1991)
Metro-Cross (1985)

...though right off the bat I'd discount it being Thunder Cross or its sequel, because who the hell plays a shmup with a steering wheel? I'm not too familiar with the others - Metro-Cross being the only other one I've heard of, but that doesn't really involve a car.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I don't know, but is that... carpet on top of the machine?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Shadow Hog posted:

The second word there appears to be "Cross", so narrowing it down to arcade games released before 2000/01/01, it's one of these:

Battle Cross (1982)
Karian Cross (1996)
Stadium Cross (1992)
Super Cross II (1986)
Thunder Cross (1988)
Thunder Cross II (1991)
Metro-Cross (1985)

...though right off the bat I'd discount it being Thunder Cross or its sequel, because who the hell plays a shmup with a steering wheel? I'm not too familiar with the others - Metro-Cross being the only other one I've heard of, but that doesn't really involve a car.

Yeah, that was my thought, too, only I can't think of / couldn't find any racing games of that vintage with "cross" as the second word. The illustration looks kind of like the one on the marquee from Super Bug, but it's not a perfect match. Then again, this photo is from 1980s Romania.

azurite posted:

It looks kinda like tinsel.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

It would actually be a Swedish arcade game that's more or less undocumented except for a couple of flyers.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Elliotw2 posted:

It would actually be a Swedish arcade game that's more or less undocumented except for a couple of flyers.

Son of a bitch, that absolutely is it! Holy wow.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

azurite posted:

Probably. Among other crimes against humanity, Ceaușescu was also tacky as gently caress.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Pastry of the Year posted:

Yeah, you're right. It's elsewhere in the room, too.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

univbee posted:

If I was only dealing with a single NES romset and not using other functionality of a Pi (like streaming movies from my server to Kodi, as an example), you're right that I wouldn't need it. But I wouldn't just be emulating an NES Classic, but instead just having a cool case for my Pi that does all sorts of different poo poo.

Like, if they simply moved the ethernet port to the back and turned the lid ports into nothing but a glorified Four Score, that'd be rad as heck.

Dr. Spitesworth
Dec 31, 2007
Yoink.

Son of a bitch, that absolutely is it! Holy wow.

Are we really sure it's the same game? I don't see any carpet on the cabinet in the flyer.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Dr. Spitesworth posted:

Are we really sure it's the same game? I don't see any carpet on the cabinet in the flyer.

I vote tinsel.

fastbilly1
May 11, 2016

Dr. Spitesworth posted:

The carpet is the deluxe version. It is even more rare.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

It's decided: If I ever do build a cab, it will be covered in carpet like a cat tree or like that van in Dumb and Dumber.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
So I got around to testing the Dreamcast, two PS1, and PS2 I had to see what I can do with them using a control Theatrymnth bonus soundtrack CD I had. The Dreamcast starts up and everything, but flat refuses to read both that CD and the old burned CD I made back in 2001. The PSX (original model PS1 with the digital port on the right that I was using for a Gameshark) starts up, but won't read either the soundtrack cd or the old Jampack Volume 2 I found.

The PSOne (the redesign) plays the CD, but hangs on the title card for the Jampack, which isn't a big surprise how scratched that disc is. The PS2 Slim reads the CD, boots up the jampack successfully, reads a random DVD I put into it, and then rejects the Swap Magic disc ("disc not recognized") and gives the red error on the Pro Action Replay disc.

So what should I do with the Dreamcast if it can't read discs? The PS2 Slim has the top replaced for use with the Swap Magic, but the disc isn't working, so can I still do it without one?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
For people who have bought the 8-Bitdo nintendo controller and the NES classic receiver:

Is it possible to rebind the buttons on these things?

The A and B buttons are really unergonomic for NES games. For example, with Mario games, it's awkward to hold B, the bottom face button, for running and then having to bend or twist your thumb up to hit A to jump.
Is it possible to bind the controller's Y and B buttons so the NES Classic dongle outputs them as B and A button presses?

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jul 27, 2017

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

GreatGreen posted:

For people who have bought the 8-Bitdo nintendo controller and the NES classic receiver:

Is it possible to rebind the buttons on these things?

The A and B buttons are really unergonomic for NES games. For example, with Mario games, it's awkward to hold B, the bottom face button, and have to bend ot twist your thumb up to hit A to jump.
Is it possible to bind the controller's Y and B buttons to the console's respective B and A button functionality?

Unless you're playing on an emulator that lets you rebind buttons, no.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Unless you're playing on an emulator that lets you rebind buttons, no.

Really? That seems like an insane ergonomic oversight for a company that exclusively sells controllers. Especially this one that specifically includes a dongle for the NES classic.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

GreatGreen posted:

Really? That seems like an insane ergonomic oversight for a company that exclusively sells controllers. Especially this one that specifically includes a dongle for the NES classic.

That's how I normally played Super Mario All Stars (granted you could swap buttons in the options) and GBA games. I'm just used to it I guess.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

8-bit Miniboss posted:

That's how I normally played Super Mario All Stars (granted you could swap buttons in the options) and GBA games. I'm just used to it I guess.

Yeah, I know people who play like that.

I got used to the "Y = Run, B = Jump" configuration from Super Mario World way back when and I've always liked that layout better. Feels more natural to me personally.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Good news, they poorly compensated for you.

NES Mini version.

Oddly, they got it right on the version meant for the real NES.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Elliotw2 posted:

Good news, they poorly compensated for you.

NES Mini version.

Well... doesn't look like a bad layout really as both diagonal options are there at the same time.

It would be nice if they'd also give the option of reversing those A and B buttons as a secondary layout though, but the pic isn't bad at all.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
If you're going to go with an NES controller that had four face buttons you might as well go for the SNES30 instead

I use mine on a real nes and it doesn't feel as sacreligous as I thought it would

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

GreatGreen posted:

What sort of interface were you imagining to do the remapping? Like, it doesn't have a screen or really much space to put some separate controls for doing that, and trying to do it through button combos on its own would be really difficult to keep track of.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

The adapter's just a bluetooth adapter and some simple interfacing, but they could provide an alternate firmware for the controllers to replace the dead icade mode or the ps3 mode with one with flipped a/b buttons.The ones with joysticks actually come with a mode like this that flips the left stick and the dpad for games that don't accept hat switch inputs.

Probably best would be if they had a tool that let you custom bind the buttons and modes, but they're adamant that they can't do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Rirse posted:

So I got around to testing the Dreamcast, two PS1, and PS2 I had to see what I can do with them using a control Theatrymnth bonus soundtrack CD I had. The Dreamcast starts up and everything, but flat refuses to read both that CD and the old burned CD I made back in 2001. The PSX (original model PS1 with the digital port on the right that I was using for a Gameshark) starts up, but won't read either the soundtrack cd or the old Jampack Volume 2 I found.

The PSOne (the redesign) plays the CD, but hangs on the title card for the Jampack, which isn't a big surprise how scratched that disc is. The PS2 Slim reads the CD, boots up the jampack successfully, reads a random DVD I put into it, and then rejects the Swap Magic disc ("disc not recognized") and gives the red error on the Pro Action Replay disc.

So what should I do with the Dreamcast if it can't read discs? The PS2 Slim has the top replaced for use with the Swap Magic, but the disc isn't working, so can I still do it without one?

You should probably test some other discs, since it seems kind of sketchy that all of these consoles have problems with at least one of them across the board. But it could be that everything is a deciding to failure cascade, which isn't wholly unreasonable since the PSX, PSOne, PS2, and Dreamcast are pretty contemporary to each other.

That all said:

You could potentially turn up the GD-ROM related potentiometers inside of your Dreamcast and brute force it to work that way (I think), but it's only a temporary fix at best. You could either pick up another Dreamcast console (because why not?), or pick up another laser assembly. Or get a Dreamcast ODE like the GDEMU, but that would require a lot of hawk-eyed watching to get in on the next order batch.

I'm not sure why you're asking if Swap Magic will work on a PS2 Slim that isn't reading discs; isn't the point of it to boot up with the disc and pass the check, then allow you to do a swap out with a burned disc? You could either try and get another laser assembly for your Slim (no idea if people do or do not sell them these days), or...

1. Look at modding it for a hard drive. The Slim series apparently had hard drive support removed by Sony, but it can be added back in by (essentially) soldering an IDE or SATA cable to the main board.

2. Get a Free McBoot memory card with HD Loader or Open PS2 Loader or whatever the new hot poo poo is these days in the PS2 hard drive loading arena.

3. Look at using an IDE or SATA-adapted SD card as a hard drive. Then you can write ISOs and such to it with a program like WinHIIP and load it that way.

Or just get another console cuz gently caress all that work.

• Locked thread