Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Dislike button posted:

im an executive poster

more like an executive assistant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
stock grants are more than half my total comp. more if the stock had a good year

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

One of the things i miss from back home is brick houses

Wood houses are such scrub tier

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

qhat posted:

move to the beast coast, problem solved

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

my dads house is wood and 225 years old and still in good condition

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

qhat posted:

i miss buildings coming in more colors than brown.

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
a neighbour tore down a nice old brick house and replaced it with what looks like a black paper square. I hated looking at that ugly "modern" thing

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

jre posted:

lol no

I mean depending on where you are. 50k area for senior isn't too unusual where I am, but it's the UK equivalent of I dunno Idaho or something. Senior developers in London make rather more than that.

Also, bear in mind the pound used to be worth like $1.60, post-Brexit-vote it's now more like $1.20, but mysteriously we didn't all get 25% pay raises to compensate.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Jul 26, 2017

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
wood houses are fine in places where the weather is not awful.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

The Management posted:

wood houses are fine in places where the weather is not awful.

:wrong:

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Lol just lol if you have any brick in an area with earthquakes

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
A recruiter just tried to recruit me to be a recruiter.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

These take home assignments are getting pretty old. I think I burned out from doing that other one which was like 6/7 hours long.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

qhat posted:

These take home assignments are getting pretty old. I think I burned out from doing that other one which was like 6/7 hours long.

waiting on the feedback (which usually amount to "yes" or "no") is the worst part.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

leper khan posted:

waiting on the feedback (which usually amount to "yes" or "no") is the worst part.

It's just annoying sometimes when the requirements are so vague and incomplete and you have no idea what they are expecting you to submit. I once got an assignment to implement a turing machine and they gave me a "test case" with no expected output, and there was a whole bunch of edge cases that they didn't specify the behaviour for. In the end you just make up a bunch of presumptions and trade offs and hope you're correct, which is dumb.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

qhat posted:

It's just annoying sometimes when the requirements are so vague and incomplete and you have no idea what they are expecting you to submit. I once got an assignment to implement a turing machine and they gave me a "test case" with no expected output, and there was a whole bunch of edge cases that they didn't specify the behaviour for. In the end you just make up a bunch of presumptions and trade offs and hope you're correct, which is dumb.

so it's an accurate test then?

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe
i literally actually got a fizzbuzz interview today
took me 20 seconds and i was like, "man, this is an actual thing that actually happens"

dunno if i'll be taking the callback but lol

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

hobbesmaster posted:

so it's an accurate test then?

no?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

where do you have pms that good and what's the ballpark for total comp

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

It's weird that I have to explain this, but if I get given a vague spec IRL in a job I immediately find out what I do and don't know about the project and then find out who I need to speak to find out the things I don't know and then liaise with them. If no-one knows/cares, then I make my best judgement based on what I think and then run with it, circling back to the stakeholders every so often to make sure it's what they actually want. I don't just get a spec and make dumb guesses on everything. When you get a timed coding assignment, you expect things to be reasonably clear and if they're not, you expect it not to matter at all. You don't have time to be emailing back and forth, which is the downside of not doing these problems live with the interviewers in person.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

qhat posted:

told you so

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Easiest tech assignment so far, a few "fix this code" questions in C++ and python. Even got some C++11 features in there for good measure.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I also emailed some other job that I done an onsite interview for a couple of weeks ago but who I suspected ghosted me. Turns out my suspicions were true and they had moved forward with another candidate without sending the rejects a courteous notification.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

qhat posted:

I also emailed some other job that I done an onsite interview for a couple of weeks ago but who I suspected ghosted me. Turns out my suspicions were true and they had moved forward with another candidate without sending the rejects a courteous notification.

this the most garbage aspect of interviewing and job hunting, but I've started playing the ghosting game as well instead of wasting time wringing hands over interviews and offers I don't really want to proceed with

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Iverron posted:

this the most garbage aspect of interviewing and job hunting, but I've started playing the ghosting game as well instead of wasting time wringing hands over interviews and offers I don't really want to proceed with

Yeah it's dog poo poo, if you're invited to take the time for an onsite, you deserve a response at the very least. If you don't get one then honestly to me it screams of arrogant management who may be a pain to deal with if you did actually get hired.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

How do you find a good place to work? Pretty much all I hear are horror stories

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
you don't

https://aeon.co/amp/essays/how-work-changed-to-make-us-all-passionate-quitters

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

I just came here to post this

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Yah just keep quitting until you find a nice balance of figgies and lifestyle.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

PokeJoe posted:

How do you find a good place to work? Pretty much all I hear are horror stories

everywhere is bad somehow, it's just a matter of finding a place with a) the least amount of sewage, and b) what rancid waste there is is of a type you can handle

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

That's why it's good to work in pre or post sales and visit as many clients as possible to preview other environments before jumping ship.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

pro click

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
loving crushed the interview today. I'll be really shocked if I don't get a call back.

Here's hoping.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

lol at presenting career advancement as quitting. mobility is leverage that gets you better conditions, whether or not you exercise it. if your employer recognizes your value, they should give you equal value to retain you (in whatever form, money, working conditions, ball pits).

you move around until you find the right fit for you, and you stay there until it isn't right anymore. if you're just looking to quit all the time people will notice and let you go.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

loving crushed the interview today. I'll be really shocked if I don't get a call back.

Here's hoping.

nice!

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

The Management posted:

lol at presenting career advancement as quitting. mobility is leverage that gets you better conditions, whether or not you exercise it. if your employer recognizes your value, they should give you equal value to retain you (in whatever form, money, working conditions, ball pits).

you move around until you find the right fit for you, and you stay there until it isn't right anymore. if you're just looking to quit all the time people will notice and let you go.

yeah, to a lot of us this is a "well, duh", but i think that article is targeted at people who still think the ideal is that you work at one company for your whole life and advance your career track with that one company

that works if and only if companies give a poo poo about their workers and treat them well, or are forced to by a union. since companies definitely could not give less of a poo poo about your or your problems and unions are seen as a negative for some reason, welp

maybe there used to be loyalty in an employment relationship, but there sure as gently caress isn't now. like, at all, either way and if a company expects it then they can gently caress right off cause they sure aren't loyal to their workers.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

The Management posted:

Yah this is true. I've made a point at staying in jobs for at least several years, it looks much better on a resume and shows a degree of integrity and loyalty. I was once given a resume of a guy who had 3 or 4 different companies on it within the space of 2 years (not contract positions btw, that would at least be understandable), and he was applying to us which would've made 5 companies in 2 years if we'd hired him. It just looks really lovely and the motivation to actually hire is very low unless we can guarantee they'll be productive for at least 6 months. We didn't hire him in the end because he was actually an ultra lovely candidate.

qhat fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jul 27, 2017

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

qhat posted:

Yah this is true. I've made a point at staying in jobs for at least several years, it looks much better on a resume and shows a degree of integrity and loyalty. I was once given a resume of a guy who had 3 or 4 different companies on it within the space of 2 years (not contract positions btw, that would at least be understandable), and he was applying to us which would've made 5 companies in 2 years if we'd hired him. It just looks really lovely and the motivation to actually hire is very low unless we can guarantee they'll be productive for at least 6 months. We didn't hire him in the end because he was actually an ultra lovely candidate.

That article specifically said every few years. :unsmith:

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
anyone heard anything bad about working at sophos?

an old boss reached out with an opportunity that seems great but idk i'm not frustrated with my current place yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

The Management posted:

It seems like you're describing the article pretty well, but your "lol" indicates you disagree?

• Locked thread