Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
This is a great Tumblr and I love this post

http://themarvelageofcomics.tumblr.com/post/163431616329/thebristolboard-this-hand-colored-splash-page

Normally I can pick out when creators are drawn into books because its often done really obviously, but this I would have never guessed that the crowd was basically everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Meanwhile, Gwenpool continues to be amazing.

You all should go read Gwenpool, guys.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/JetGrindFuture/status/890379515750383616

Holy poo poo I forgot about this.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Two character ads for Aaron's Legacy one-shot.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Pureauthor posted:

Meanwhile, Gwenpool continues to be amazing.

You all should go read Gwenpool, guys.

I liked swole future Miles.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Neanderthal Starbrand Hulk is something I never knew I wanted until this very moment.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

X-O posted:

Neanderthal Starbrand Hulk is something I never knew I wanted until this very moment.

Yeah that's exactly my response too. I trust Jason Aaron to make that exactly as awesome as it sounds.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I wouldn't trust anyone else but Jason Aaron to handle this.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Secret Empire spoilers out and woo Marvel you crazy

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I'm still banned from the FB group where I see most of this poo poo, post 'em up

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

X-O posted:

Not that technical accuracy matters for this, but 1mya predates the evolution of neanderthals. These would be something like homo ergaster or erectus, I think.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Hehe, homo erectus.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Rhyno posted:

I'm still banned from the FB group where I see most of this poo poo, post 'em up

The comic came out today... it's not really spoilers.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

And in the spirit of that: Steve iced Black Widow with a shot to the neck.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

The comic came out today... it's not really spoilers.

I assumed he meant spoilers for the end of the series.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I actually didn't think it was as bad an issue as some others, but mostly because the art was just...indescribably good. Natasha's dead but like...man, at this point that kind of thing literally evinces no emotion from me, positive or negative.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You can only kill so many big names before they'll lose their punch because everyone expects the revert coming.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I really liked how it examined that killing Hitler would make you as bad as Hitler. This event is loving terrible and way too long.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
The end of the issue with Sam putting on his Cap gear... yeah that might mean something if we didn't already know he was going back to being The Falcon after this event.

BrianWilly posted:

man, at this point that kind of thing literally evinces no emotion from me, positive or negative.

This is the main problem with SE for me, well... a lot of comics but it's the main one. I don't 'hate' Secret Empire, not really. To hate something you have to read it and get angry, not read it and go "Yup." And then put it down, and go about your day. When someone told me Widow was dead it was just a case of me going, looking at it and going "Oh, a lame death. Huh. Well she'll be back in time for the next movie."

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

It's gonna be the old "she was an LMD all along!" gimmick

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I assumed he meant spoilers for the end of the series.

I forget if we need spoiler tags for half-assed guesses, but i'll tag it anyway Steve dies to escape his Hydra programming or some bullshit, and since the Maker's brought over Ultimate Cap...he's the new Captain America.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Yknow, it just reminds me of the undeath of Peter Parker in the Ultimate universe. I knew it was coming, I knew it was happening in the volume I was reading, and it STILL floored me when I read it. To be fair, at the time I had no way of knowing that Bendis would pointlessly ruin that moment at the last possible second, but for a long time that moment really stuck with me.

Widow's death in Secret Empire elicited an "oh wow" from me, before turning the page. A little surprising, but knowing that all of this is going to be wiped away at the end of it all just kills any emotional connection I could have. Even Bendis waited multiple years to undo Pete's thing.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I really liked this issue. The artwork was gorgeous, and Punisher fighting Black Widow really sold me. I haven't seen anyone get really mad about Hydra Punisher.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

hydra punisher makes the most sense out of anyone they're affiliated with them for secret empire

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Martinpale posted:

I forget if we need spoiler tags for half-assed guesses, but i'll tag it anyway Steve dies to escape his Hydra programming or some bullshit, and since the Maker's brought over Ultimate Cap...he's the new Captain America.
See I'm disappointed that Hydra Cap wasn't just Ultimate Cap this whole time, then this event would make waaaaaaaay more sense

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Open Marriage Night posted:

I really liked this issue. The artwork was gorgeous, and Punisher fighting Black Widow really sold me. I haven't seen anyone get really mad about Hydra Punisher.
I think that's because Hydra Punisher is the Rick Perry, Secretary of Energy of the event; in a normal world this is an absolutely terrible outrage, but within the confines of a historically awful event, this particular piece of poo poo is ignored because there are so many other things people are getting mad about.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Edge & Christian posted:

I think that's because Hydra Punisher is the Rick Perry, Secretary of Energy of the event; in a normal world this is an absolutely terrible outrage, but within the confines of a historically awful event, this particular piece of poo poo is ignored because there are so many other things people are getting mad about.

Is Frank getting stabbed in both thighs in a very cool panel the 22-minute prank call about pig poo poo of the event, then?

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Soonmot posted:

I really liked how it examined that killing Hitler would make you as bad as Hitler. This event is loving terrible and way too long.

Things are just better when Squirrel-Girl is involved.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Edge & Christian posted:

For a hot minute I was confused about why I was seeing an E&C post in cspam.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Aphrodite posted:

You can only kill so many big names before they'll lose their punch because everyone expects the revert coming.

comics.txt

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Teenage Fansub posted:

Two character ads for Aaron's Legacy one-shot.

Looks awesome

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Martinpale posted:

Monumental retardation. so Cap dies yet again and we get new "A does not stand for France!" Cap. Now I officially don't like Spencer and if true it's brining his lovely personal POV into things. gently caress em.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Martinpale posted:

Holy poo poo, I was far more positive on Secret Empire than most of the thread, but replacing Fascist Cap with Slightly-Less-Fascist-Cap is super dumb. Can't wait for them to retcon all this poo poo away.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
That was Martinplate making a guess. It's not going to happen. Ultimate Cap is over in Ultimates2

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
I'm still convinced this is going to get all Cosmic Cubed away. No way they keep BW dead. Same with Banner.

Ultimate Cap idea is stupid as gently caress. I mean the whole idea is to redeem Cap. It's stupid to redeem him and then he dies.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

RandallODim posted:

Is Frank getting stabbed in both thighs in a very cool panel the 22-minute prank call about pig poo poo of the event, then?
Sure? The art has frequently been pretty good for this awful story, though I want to know how the pig poo poo call is really just foreshadowing for the FINISH HER -- CAPTAIN AMERICA WINS -- FATALITY scene of real world politics coming up.

To expand though, I think it's pretty awesome that in about six pages of appearances Hydra Punisher has managed to contradict pretty much every Relentlessly Established Thing about the Frank Castle of the past thirty-forty years.

1) He's doing things he dislikes because he's Following Orders, something that he has no sympathy for from [insert evil lackey here].
2) He's joining up with Hydra so that he can form an army of Punishers, something he's pretty much always Very Much Against people following in his footsteps.
3) He's *really* joining up with Hydra so that Nazsteve can bring his family back, which is a devil's bargain (sometimes literally) he's rejected a bunch of times.

But I mean we got a pretty well drawn fight scene out of it so whatever.

The other vaguely political thing that Spencer seems to be hammering home over and over again is this weird sort of thing where every single non-Hydra-hero in the book just self-flagellates themselves because they were so busy being selfish in-fighting short-sighted beta cucks that they were totally fooled and let the world's biggest monster take over because the world's biggest monster managed to be a really great guy for sixty years or whatever. Carol's speech this week in particular really sounded like some sort of "I'm HIllary Clinton and if I had been a better person maybe I wouldn't have willingly given Donald Trump the presidency" or something, though I may be reading too much into it. Even political allegory aside, I love how Carol laments that the master manipulator Steve Rogers "tricked her" into building the Planetary Wall when the actual text of the story was Maria Hill and Carol Danvers going "hey we should build this wall" and Nazsteve going "no way, nuh uh, this wall is a betrayal of liberty and justice and freedom and it's a terrible idea to build this wall, please don't build this wall, I will never forgive you and you'll shatter an important friendship if you build this wall, PLEASE DO NOT BUILD THIS WALL I HATE IT."

He's not even manipulating people in the background to get the wall approved, he tells Carol and the SHIELD High Council and the President "don't build this wall, it is a very bad idea" repeatedly. And then he repeatedly objects (and does no on-panel manipulation) to the idea of putting him in charge of SHIELD. Despite his protestations, they build the wall and put him in charge of SHIELD. This would be like if the current administration really does repeal Obamacare and cuts Medicaid and etc. and then in 2024 somehow Barack Obama is forcibly re-installed as President and went "HA HA I AM BANNING DOCTORS NOW BECAUSE NO ONE DESERVES HEALTH CARE" and everyone goes "dammit, he plays us like a fiddle! How could we have not seen this coming???????"

Also the Miles Morales Future Vision paradox was just outstanding textbook Spencer.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

More BC Avengers

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Teenage Fansub posted:

More BC Avengers

Lol of course Phoenix is a redhead.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

pubic works project posted:

I'm still convinced this is going to get all Cosmic Cubed away. No way they keep BW dead. Same with Banner.

Generations starts this week with Hulk. You'll probably start to get an idea of how people are gonna come back/change with those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Gatts posted:

Monumental retardation. so Cap dies yet again and we get new "A does not stand for France!" Cap. Now I officially don't like Spencer and if true it's brining his lovely personal POV into things. gently caress em.

wtf is happening to Marvel comics

• Locked thread