Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

mastershakeman posted:

I realized last night that the only army in the show to ever run into logistics problems or deal with time and distance was stannis's, and 90% of that was off screen. every other army is essentially intact the entire time and appears wherever needed as long as their hero is with them. it's completely insane

It's just more proof that D&D went out of their way to screw Stannis over and make him look bad in the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

QuoProQuid posted:

Robert's claim was already implied to be an afterthought.

Rob was the grandson of someone of Targ lineage, he was the best option out of the rebels.

Also I remembered during some war in KL a drunken mercenary captain declared himself King and ruled from Flea Bottom or something for a few weeks haha

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

TeaJay posted:

It's just more proof that D&D went out of their way to screw Stannis over and make him look bad in the show.

to be fair the pink letter was in the book and also made no loving sense

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

nopantsjack posted:

When the necromancer guy brings cersei to see balerions skull I was like "oh poo poo he's gonna resurrect balerion, the giant dragon skull was a chekhovs gun!

Then it turned out that he'd just invented a ballista which is a stupid plot for a black wizard

Don't the books mention ballista being used against dragons back in the targ wars with the rhoynar or whoever it was

In cyvasse, catapults and trebuchets can remove dragons from the board.
So using war machines against them seems the default counter.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

lol at all the "how did Euron even see other boats at night" hot takes, clearly his crew just shoots fireballs all night and attacks anything that moves

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Euron is such a Mary Sue in this show, unlike the books where he is an insanely cool pirate king with a magical horn who gets all the girls and Victarion's wife

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I dunno why y'all bitch about army logistics so much. Call me crazy, but I don't want any scenes of Tyrion working on spreadsheets or whatever would make you happy.

It ain't a huge stretch for me to assume they're working that stuff out offscreen.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's because the one time they did deal with it, it was ramsay's moronic 20 good men thing.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
God, the Lannisters haven't set a trash collection policy once in the years they've been running King's Landing. A whole city with no trash policy! What an oversight by the show runners. I'm so annoyed I'm gonna have to play 8 hours of Train Simulator 2017 just to calm down.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
if Dany has Highgarden behind her i'm pretty sure they'll manage for food somehow, whatever, tv is dumb

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

if winter is coming how do they grow food

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

if Dany has Highgarden behind her i'm pretty sure they'll manage for food somehow, whatever, tv is dumb

Jamie and the (somehow reinforced) Lannister army captures Highgarden even though the Reach army has been virtually unscathed by the war so far.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Dany can order food directly from Essos if she wants, is not like distances or travel time mean anything in this reality

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

KellyC: dario send food plz we're starving 2 deth
Dario: why dont you munch on deez nuts my queen

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

In ~my headcannon~ Dario is dead and the harpies took back over and re-enslaved everyone in an orgy of horrific violence. Because come on she left the amoral company of foreign mercenary cuthroats in charge of a tenuous situation of a city-state in near-open rebellion.

It's either that or he cut and ran while it was still an option.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Jamie and the (somehow reinforced) Lannister army captures Highgarden even though the Reach army has been virtually unscathed by the war so far.

Well the show seems to be implying that they still have the support of some of the Tyrell bannermen since Olenna is currently conspiring with foreign invaders, though Cersei did kind of blow up the Lord of Highgarden so that seems iffy

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Randall Tarley would have sent Maces fat rear end to the wall with his son i doubt he cares

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

PostNouveau posted:

God, the Lannisters haven't set a trash collection policy once in the years they've been running King's Landing. A whole city with no trash policy! What an oversight by the show runners.

Actually this part is pretty realistic for medieval times.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Their trash policy is "bring out yer dead"

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the trash all goes into the writers' room.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

PostNouveau posted:

I wouldn't go quite that far but you're definitely right about her being the worst actor who ever lived.

Fun fact: They shot the pilot with someone else in that role, so Emilia Clarke is better than at least one person at acting.

Clarke never beat anyone: pilot Daenerys was played by Tamzin Merchant who bowed out of the show. While I don't know how well she would have fit the part, Merchant is good at acting and I imagine she would have brought way more to the character than Clarke.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's because the one time they did deal with it, it was ramsay's moronic 20 good men thing.

not only that, he's presented as one of the few competent commanders/rulers in the entire show (it's him, tarly and old bear mormont, anyone else? I suppose the Lannister brothers) and he's the only one who not only has to care about logistics but also fail due to them. it's ridiculous

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Yudo posted:

Clarke never beat anyone: pilot Daenerys was played by Tamzin Merchant who bowed out of the show. While I don't know how well she would have fit the part, Merchant is good at acting and I imagine she would have brought way more to the character than Clarke.

Oh, did she bow out? All of the articles about it just say "The original pilot sucked, so they recast some people."

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Has Clarke done any other work we could use as a control to figure out whether she's actually bad at acting or just being badly directed in Game of Thrones?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Has Clarke done any other work we could use as a control to figure out whether she's actually bad at acting or just being badly directed in Game of Thrones?

She was in one of the Terminator movies. The last one.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Peanut President posted:

She was in one of the Terminator movies.

And she is very very bad in it. Granted, they didn't give her a lot to work with but she is terrible.

She can do one trick well, acting smug while speaking a made up language. The Unsullied army scene is her magnum opus as an actress.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
She was laughed off broadway.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

If you want to see just how bad Clarke is, look up clips of her short run as Holly Golightly in Breakfast at Tiffany's.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fgNRgUBtcGg

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

In ~my headcannon~ Dario is dead and the harpies took back over and re-enslaved everyone in an orgy of horrific violence. Because come on she left the amoral company of foreign mercenary cuthroats in charge of a tenuous situation of a city-state in near-open rebellion.

Danny finished this questline, it's marked as done in the quest log and she moved on into the next leveling area. Nothing will happen in a low level area after the protagonist has outleveled it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

WampaLord posted:

She can do one trick well, acting smug while speaking a made up language.

Also, eyebrows.

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

There's a chapter where Quentyn is in Astapor after Dany abandoned it, and it's hell on earth. Like people barbecuing babies kind of hell. That's what I imagine Meereen has devolved into.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jul 27, 2017

kater
Nov 16, 2010

esperterra posted:

If you want to see just how bad Clarke is, look up clips of her short run as Holly Golightly in Breakfast at Tiffany's.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fgNRgUBtcGg

This isn't fair but also

yeesh

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

Also, eyebrows.

God, imagine if a good actor had those eyebrows.

Kromlech
Jun 28, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
i want to fukc her eyebrows

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

wouldn't it have made more sense for her to just stay and rule essos and carve out a new kingdom there? grrm and d&d are hack frauds!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Groovelord Neato posted:

wouldn't it have made more sense for her to just stay and rule essos and carve out a new kingdom there? grrm and d&d are hack frauds!

Essos is bad

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Kromlech posted:

i want to fukc her eyebrows

George? Is that you?

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

mastershakeman posted:

to be fair the pink letter was in the book and also made no loving sense

The pink letter makes sense if it was written by Mance Rayder to try and make John do something really loving stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Almost like it was written by Ramsay

• Locked thread